Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I also dropped P1 PSP once I reached the final boss. Until that point, I somehow managed to get by with only everyone's original Persona. That just won't fly with Inside-Out-Vagina-Dragon. However, I also couldn't use everyone's ultimate Personas, because everyone was around ten or so levels below the required levels for said Personas. Perhaps more for Mark, because his original Persona is weak to magic. All magic. And grinding is a bitch in P1, so I just gave up and looked up the ending online.

But as hard to play as the original Persona is, Bloody Destiny might just be my favorite boss theme in the series. Either that, or Child Abuse, for unfortunate naming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Snix posted:

I also dropped P1 PSP once I reached the final boss. Until that point, I somehow managed to get by with only everyone's original Persona. That just won't fly with Inside-Out-Vagina-Dragon. However, I also couldn't use everyone's ultimate Personas, because everyone was around ten or so levels below the required levels for said Personas. Perhaps more for Mark, because his original Persona is weak to magic. All magic. And grinding is a bitch in P1, so I just gave up and looked up the ending online.

But as hard to play as the original Persona is, Bloody Destiny might just be my favorite boss theme in the series. Either that, or Child Abuse, for unfortunate naming.
Yeah, the dumbest thing that happened to me was at about half-way through. I was getting by just fine even though I was about 5 levels or more below the enemies (and Mark and Nanjo were even lower).

Here's the problem: the demons wouldn't give me their cards because of my lower levels. As such, I didn't get any new cards for half the game. I was even grinding a bit but because the experience is handed out in a dumb way it never seemed to catch me up.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
All you need in Persona 1 is charm bullets. At least, for nearly every non-boss. Makes any grindy stuff you need to do much easier/faster as well.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

All you need in Persona 1 is charm bullets. At least, for nearly every non-boss. Makes any grindy stuff you need to do much easier/faster as well.

Add a Lilim with Megido/la/on to that, and nothing will ever give you trouble until the last boss.

The final boss is kind of a poo poo, though. But at least the exp distribution system makes it easy to slap your best Persona onto Naoya so he can rake in all the exp in every fight and level up pretty quick so you can get his ultimate Persona and then just spam Hieroglyphein.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I played the first two Personas on the PS1 a long while back, how are they on the PSP? Do they look and play nice? I see the entire PSP + Persona 1 and 2 route are fairly cheap.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They didn't add much to them graphics wise other than new intros and portrait shots when you do spell combinations in Innocent Sin. They did a lot of tinkering with the user interfaces though which makes P1 much more playable. Also P1 on the PSP is almost a different game with the better localization, restored difficulty (it's still pretty easy if you know how to take advantage of it) and the Snow Queen Quest which is half the game. It doesn't look like they are releasing the EP PSP game but the PSX version of EP was pretty good already and that's available.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To get the Triumphant title in DS2, can you safely ignore Io, Daichi, Hinako, and Jungo since they would join you anyway or do you also have to get their Fate to level 4? Or barring that, get their Fate to 4 later on after the groups throw down?

Is there any point to the sidequest involving Airi's Dad other than unlocking a new demon to fuse?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I've been slowly working through Persona 1. I'm not really disliking it, but by the time I'm done, I feel like I'm not going to want to play it ever again.

Is the Ice Queen route worth it, or is simply finishing the SEBEC route and stopping there fine? The main thing that puts me off of the Ice Queen route is that it's apparently timed, and playing Persona 1 with a time limit sounds like the worst thing in the world.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I've been slowly working through Persona 1. I'm not really disliking it, but by the time I'm done, I feel like I'm not going to want to play it ever again.

Is the Ice Queen route worth it, or is simply finishing the SEBEC route and stopping there fine? The main thing that puts me off of the Ice Queen route is that it's apparently timed, and playing Persona 1 with a time limit sounds like the worst thing in the world.

The Snow Queen Quest can be REALLY loving harsh. It's timed, the dungeons don't have any save points IIRC(?), and some of the towers have some REALLY assholish gimmicks. It's only really worth playing if you really love P1, otherwise you can safely skip it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nate RFB posted:

To get the Triumphant title in DS2, can you safely ignore Io, Daichi, Hinako, and Jungo since they would join you anyway or do you also have to get their Fate to level 4? Or barring that, get their Fate to 4 later on after the groups throw down?

Is there any point to the sidequest involving Airi's Dad other than unlocking a new demon to fuse?

Yeah, you can ignore those guys. The point is to get everyone alive and in your party. You still need to get Io to Fate level 3 though for Friday.

As for your other question, I thought the point was to learn more backstory, but the demon's nice too I guess.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
After playing the game on and off for about 3+ years I finally beat Nocturne. It's such a shame about some of the dungeon designs because aside from a few really terrible and boring dungeons (it doesn't help that the final dungeon falls in this category) the game is really spectacular. I went with the TDE and none of the final bosses were that difficult. I had multiple demons with Prayer and they chose not to dispel their debuffs for some reason. I think the thing I was most impressed with was the cinematography of the cutscenes. The game does such a good job of shifting the camera angle during cutscenes to add emphasis and make them more dynamic. You would think that since the game isn't voiced, you could get the jist of things just by reading a game script, but then you'd be missing out on so much. The only other game I can think of that comes close to doing something like this is Breath of Fire DQ.

The game could really use some more demon variety in the random encounters because fighting the same things over and over just emphasizes how tedious some of the dungeons are. The bosses were really neat though. The best was probably Beelzebub because of how Death Flies forces you to adapt on the fly and find ways to balance offense and defense if your A-Team of demons don't have death immunity. That was just a really tense fight in the second half and I think at one point I had the utility Pisaca in my vanguard just to get the extra turn without having to worry about him getting one shot. The music for that fight was also particularly awesome and stood out in a really awesome soundtrack.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

dude789 posted:

The game could really use some more demon variety in the random encounters because fighting the same things over and over just emphasizes how tedious some of the dungeons are.

I'm basically hoping (ignoring the different combat perspective) SMT4 is Nocturne: Golden. Same combat, same difficulty, stupid random inheritance removed and way more of everything. I tried Strange Journey but the insane amount of meaningless boring text and lack of Press Turn really killed it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Dorroile posted:

The Snow Queen Quest can be REALLY loving harsh. It's timed, the dungeons don't have any save points IIRC(?), and some of the towers have some REALLY assholish gimmicks. It's only really worth playing if you really love P1, otherwise you can safely skip it.

Alright, thanks. I'll probably just skip it.

Maybe one day in the future I'll feel like playing Persona 1 again, and then I'll give the Snow Queen Quest a shot.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Wow..I've had Strange Journey for 3 years, barely touched it but finally decided to beat it because I had SMT4 pre-ordered. Love the music and dungeons, game seems decently challenging too since even when I spend awhile leveling the sector bosses are still kind of tough. I'm using the reset-password trick to keep all my sources though.

I'm on Sector Carina,how much longer do I have? Also any important MUST KNOW tips for the future in regards to good demons and skills? I've just been fusing as much as I can and using my sources to get buffing moves on everyone. I'm going the chaos route, are the final bosses different for the routes?

Kind of sad SMT4 won't be a first person dungeon crawler, I've really warmed up to the genre from playing Soul Hackers and SJ, maybe I'll try the Etrian Odyssey series afterwards.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Wow..I've had Strange Journey for 3 years, barely touched it but finally decided to beat it because I had SMT4 pre-ordered. Love the music and dungeons, game seems decently challenging too since even when I spend awhile leveling the sector bosses are still kind of tough. I'm using the reset-password trick to keep all my sources though.

I'm on Sector Carina,how much longer do I have? Also any important MUST KNOW tips for the future in regards to good demons and skills? I've just been fusing as much as I can and using my sources to get buffing moves on everyone. I'm going the chaos route, are the final bosses different for the routes?

Kind of sad SMT4 won't be a first person dungeon crawler, I've really warmed up to the genre from playing Soul Hackers and SJ, maybe I'll try the Etrian Odyssey series afterwards.

You've got a ways to go, yet. I only did the neutral route, so I can't answer that question, but there are optional bosses for law/chaos heroes, if I remember correctly.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Well you probably noticed that the Sectors get named in alphabetical order, and the name of the final sector is Sector Horologium.

It's also kinda difficult to mess up your Demons because you have the compendium. If you want, hit some of the FAQ sites for password to get uber demons. If you want.

Edit: Chaos Route final boss is different from the Neutral and Law route boss.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Mailer posted:

I'm basically hoping (ignoring the different combat perspective) SMT4 is Nocturne: Golden. Same combat, same difficulty, stupid random inheritance removed and way more of everything. I tried Strange Journey but the insane amount of meaningless boring text and lack of Press Turn really killed it.

SMT4 is kind of a cross between Strange Journey and Nocturne. It mostly plays like Nocturne in terms of its combat and areas and difficulty but has the fusion of Strange Journey and the fact you have equipment. Though the individual dungeons and game areas are much smaller than Nocturne's, probably because of technical limitations.

The challenge level isn't quite as well balanced as Nocturne though as if you do the sidequests as they're given to you (which you probably will as they're one of the best sources of cash) you'll end up substantially tougher than the mooks you'll face in the main plotline. Also the game revolves heavily around who gets the first strike--whichever party hits first, you or the enemies, usually creams the opposite team in their first round, or at least severely wounds them.

I think most people hoping for a new Nocturne will be pretty pleased with it TBH.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

I was talking with some friends a few minutes ago about SMT NINE, which has a pretty good OST despite it apparently being mediocre, and then Ronde was brought up as a really bad SMT game.

From what I've heard, the game was basically a trainwreck and killed the Majin Tensei series. How badly did it do to cause that? :allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Booky posted:

I was talking with some friends a few minutes ago about SMT NINE, which has a pretty good OST despite it apparently being mediocre, and then Ronde was brought up as a really bad SMT game.

From what I've heard, the game was basically a trainwreck and killed the Majin Tensei series. How badly did it do to cause that? :allears:

There was a trailer for Ronde which caused several thousand fans to cancel their pre-orders en-masse. It was that bad. :allears:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Booky posted:

Ronde is pretty wretched. Just look at these screenshots and ask yourself if that looks like a game you want to play on the Saturn: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/majintensei.htm

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ChaosArgate posted:

There was a trailer for Ronde which caused several thousand fans to cancel their pre-orders en-masse. It was that bad. :allears:

That sounds like such an amazing wreck of a game. :allears: I'm probably going to assume that the game bombed horribly, as well?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ronde is pretty wretched. Just look at these screenshots and ask yourself if that looks like a game you want to play on the Saturn: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/majintensei.htm

That looks like the world's worst CG in a video game so far. I think FF7 might have looked better than that.

Man, those battle sequences... :allears:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What the gently caress! Seriously I'm at the Monolith right now and I finally got to the boss. Not complaining about the boss but what I had to do to get here. The place was loving huge with only one save point well besides the one in floor 39 but its hidden in a way and either way its far away from where I'm at. so I drain a gently caress ton of my magnetite when I try to get there. So I often find myself having to go to Amami Bay to grind to get more magnetite. To put salt in the wound while I'm traveling there are loving demons with Hama and Mudo. I will be fine a vast majority of the time but with all the encounters I will have between point X and save point it leaves a real possibility that my main character will die from these moves. Which what happened right after I got all of the letter pictures turned for "TWIN". This combined with the magnetite loss resulted in me just using the backupper so I can save on the fly as I just travel alone with me and Nemissa. This pretty much destroys the entire loving game. Having on the fly saving in Megaten is as bad of an idea of having it in a game like say Dark Souls. It destroys the entire concept. Whats also annoying is the loving music. I mean it sounds good if you let it loop but in reality it keeps having to replay the same introduction over and over due to encounters its annoying as gently caress. This has made a potentially amazing dungeon that should be the climax of the game to a huge loving chore to get through. Man if this is the end this has let a huge sour taste in my mouth.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oops yeah I meant Devil Survivor, I just remember the abbreviation was DS.

Yeah everything I hear about it just sounds like it's a bit aged. I've seen playthroughs of parts of the first SMT games, they don't look all that fun to actually play.

The game has aged pretty well actually. Same goes with Shim Megami Tensei II. Though Soul Hackers is rough around the edges at parts. Particularly with saving, pacing, and magnetite. At the end of the day though its still better than most headline RPGs today. Especially SMT2. I'd give Soul Hackers an 8 out of 10 by today's merits. Shin Megami Tensei II could be on a "top 10 JRPGs of all-time list" and I personally wouldn't scoff at it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Do you not use the Back Upper app that lets you save anywhere? That solves pretty much any problems with the lack of terminals you could ever have. I will agree that the Monolith is a pretty bullshit dungeon for all the crap it puts you through.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Do you not use the Back Upper app that lets you save anywhere? That solves pretty much any problems with the lack of terminals you could ever have. I will agree that the Monolith is a pretty bullshit dungeon for all the crap it puts you through.

I went over this and stated that I was and thats one of the problems with the dungeon. It pretty much ruins Shin Megami Tensei. The same way such a feature would ruin a game like say Dark Souls.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Not really. When you die in Dark Souls, you don't actually lose progress - you keep any items, you can try to get your souls, etc. You have to fight your way back but the time you spent isn't wasted.
In a system like Shin Megami Tensei where a gameover just puts you back at the last save point, all you've done is waste time. Give it some kind of penalty, give it some kind of punishment or whatever, but a long slog with a bunch of random things that can null the last 45 minutes of play isn't anything we really need to hold onto.

Save whenever you want is just fine, get rid of the dumb parts and balance the game around it so there's a more interesting penalty than restricted save points and wasting time.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mikan posted:

Not really. When you die in Dark Souls, you don't actually lose progress - you keep any items, you can try to get your souls, etc. You have to fight your way back but the time you spent isn't wasted.
In a system like Shin Megami Tensei where a gameover just puts you back at the last save point, all you've done is waste time. Give it some kind of penalty, give it some kind of punishment or whatever, but a long slog with a bunch of random things that can null the last 45 minutes of play isn't anything we really need to hold onto.

Save whenever you want is just fine, get rid of the dumb parts and balance the game around it so there's a more interesting penalty than restricted save points and wasting time.

I disagree. I think it harms the game a lot Not being able to save brings a lot of tension to the game and requires you to think and plan ahead (gather items, train demons, ration, etc.). With save anywhere it makes all that stuff pointless as you can just travel around constantly saving before each battle. Its also why save anywhere would be dumb in a game like Mario.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

I wouldn't say that it's really tension. Soul Hackers is definitely one of the most generous SMT titles what with giving you equipment that nulls death related spells relatively early. I'd much prefer save anywhere/more manageable continue features rather than having to redo entire sections due to some questionable design decisions. In Strange Journey, you can have the main character get turned to stone leading to an instant game over before you have any way to prevent that status effect. The fact that this can happen during a surprise attack doesn't lead to an added tension, it's poor design. The last thing I would want to do would be doing parts of that awful sector E teleporter maze because of that, and that's exactly what happened to me when I was replaying the game.

Could this lead to people saving after literally every single battle? Absolutely, but that's how they choose to do it. When you add in mechanics that soften death penalties by either getting to retry the fight (like FFXIII) or restart from that floor (like Persona 4 the Golden), then you've got more room to do more interesting balance like Mikan said.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

punk rebel ecks posted:

I disagree. I think it harms the game a lot Not being able to save brings a lot of tension to the game and requires you to think and plan ahead (gather items, train demons, ration, etc.). With save anywhere it makes all that stuff pointless as you can just travel around constantly saving before each battle. Its also why save anywhere would be dumb in a game like Mario.

Tedium isn't tension.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Kagon posted:

I wouldn't say that it's really tension. Soul Hackers is definitely one of the most generous SMT titles what with giving you equipment that nulls death related spells relatively early. I'd much prefer save anywhere/more manageable continue features rather than having to redo entire sections due to some questionable design decisions. In Strange Journey, you can have the main character get turned to stone leading to an instant game over before you have any way to prevent that status effect. The fact that this can happen during a surprise attack doesn't lead to an added tension, it's poor design. The last thing I would want to do would be doing parts of that awful sector E teleporter maze because of that, and that's exactly what happened to me when I was replaying the game.

Its bad design but doesn't mean you should save anywhere because that goes against toward what a dungeon is suppose to be in a dungeon crawler. You shouldn't be able to save whereever you want. That makes training and preparing pointless. Yes turning to stone is cheap but if your character died from an attack due to them not being powerful enough and/or you mispositioned them to where they should be during random encounter areas then that's completely fair.

[quote="Kagon" post="416142230"]Could this lead to people saving after literally every single battle? Absolutely, but that's how they choose to do it. When you add in mechanics that soften death penalties by either getting to retry the fight (like FFXIII) or restart from that floor (like Persona 4 the Golden), then you've got more room to do more interesting balance like Mikan said.

There is an inbetween of having to go through 30 random encounters before getting from point A to save point, and being able to save whereever you want. I call both being atrocious design decisions and there should be clearly a middle ground. That middle ground is well placed save points. There should be a save point on the 20th and 37th floor. Then there would be no problem.

Mikan posted:

Tedium isn't tension.

It shouldn't be tedium. The same way Resident Evil giving you the ability to save anywhere is a terrible idea as well as Mario. You need punishment for performing bad actions. If I die and nothing happens to me how the hell does that make anything fun? Why have a dungeon at all? What's the point? How is it a challenge if I just spam saving whenever I think I could get into trouble?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 5, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I feel like the PSX/DS versions of Dragon Quest IV/V/VI balanced this in the best way possible. When you're on the over world exploring you can use your ENTIRE party and have access to your entire inventory of stuff. When you go inside or into a dungeon you can only use the items in each person's individual inventory and can only use four characters. I'm not saying that would be a good thing for the mainline SMT games but it felt like such a great balance for the JRPG of still being able to stockpile massive amounts of stuff but not really being able to farm said gear and items to blow through every boss and obstacle.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

There is an inbetween of having to go through 30 random encounters before getting from point A to save point, and being able to save whereever you want. I call both being atrocious design decisions and there should be clearly a middle ground. That middle ground is well placed save points. There should be a save point on the 20th and 37th floor. Then there would be no problem.

Oh, I agree that the save point locations in Soul Hackers leave a lot to be desired for that dungeon, which is part of the reason why I had no qualms about using the Back Upper add on, especially when combined with the freezing glitch which got me twice early on. I think some of the dungeon design does start to show its age considering when the game was first released.

quote:

It shouldn't be tedium. The same way Resident Evil giving you the ability to save anywhere is a terrible idea as well as Mario. You need punishment for performing bad actions. If I die and nothing happens to me how the hell does that make anything fun? Why have a dungeon at all? What's the point? How is it a challenge if I just spam saving whenever I think I could get into trouble?

I think that some sort of punishment is fine when it comes to dying, though as time has passed, I've found I've lost my patience with harsh penalties. In games like Mario or Resident Evil, deaths tend to not set you back very far; however, I've definitely lost my patience with losing 30-45 minutes from an unexpected death. In games like Nocturne or Strange Journey, should I necessarily be punished with having to redo large sections of a dungeon because I ate an instant death attack from a monster I've never encountered before? Even Dark Souls typically isn't sending you that far back when you've died and gives you the opportunity to recover souls. I've quickly learned to always have gear on that protects me from death attacks, but that's not always feasible. At least in Soul Hackers there's a constant parade of Null: Death equipment that I just found a piece I could leave on for the entire game.

From what I've heard, SMT4 seems to have more of the balance I'm looking for when it comes to not being set back too badly in game overs.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Kagon posted:

From what I've heard, SMT4 seems to have more of the balance I'm looking for when it comes to not being set back too badly in game overs.

Insofar as you can save anywhere, yes, but realistically you should probably reset and go to a previous save if you get wiped in SMT4. Money is very rare and precious in that game so you shouldn't be blowing it all on greasing Charon's palm.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Shooters and platformers aren't RPGs, and Tedium is very much a thing in the latter. There is a difference between mistiming a jump then losing the last 5 minutes of playtime, and dying to a random Mudo making you lose half an hour. Saving anywhere in a RPG would mean the designers can focus on making the combat actually challenging instead of relying on fake difficulty.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Kagon posted:

I think that some sort of punishment is fine when it comes to dying, though as time has passed, I've found I've lost my patience with harsh penalties. In games like Mario or Resident Evil, deaths tend to not set you back very far; however, I've definitely lost my patience with losing 30-45 minutes from an unexpected death. In games like Nocturne or Strange Journey, should I necessarily be punished with having to redo large sections of a dungeon because I ate an instant death attack from a monster I've never encountered before? Even Dark Souls typically isn't sending you that far back when you've died and gives you the opportunity to recover souls. I've quickly learned to always have gear on that protects me from death attacks, but that's not always feasible. At least in Soul Hackers there's a constant parade of Null: Death equipment that I just found a piece I could leave on for the entire game.

I agree that Megaten tends to be harsh. 30 to 45 minutes definitely is unreasonable. However I feel that 10 to 15 or even 20 is more justified.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Insofar as you can save anywhere, yes, but realistically you should probably reset and go to a previous save if you get wiped in SMT4. Money is very rare and precious in that game so you shouldn't be blowing it all on greasing Charon's palm.

So you can save anywhere in SMT4?

TK-31 posted:

Shooters and platformers aren't RPGs, and Tedium is very much a thing in the latter. There is a difference between mistiming a jump then losing the last 5 minutes of playtime, and dying to a random Mudo making you lose half an hour. Saving anywhere in a RPG would mean the designers can focus on making the combat actually challenging instead of relying on fake difficulty.

Too bad it rarely turns out that way. I'd also wouldn't call preparation "fake difficulty".

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 5, 2013

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Got a link or a picture handy? I'm really curious to see the changes.

I know this was a few pages back, but I looked around and I think this is him? Can someone confirm/deny?

The video I got that from is here, but it's full of what I assume are major spoilers.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Eggn0g posted:

I know this was a few pages back, but I looked around and I think this is him? Can someone confirm/deny?

I haven't played SMTIV, but the dialog box appears to be attributed to Lucifer, yes.

What an ugly design.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

punk rebel ecks posted:

"how is there any challenge if you do this thing, why even have dungeons" is something I read a lot about these kinds of design decisions, and it's always a hyperbolic thing from someone who doesn't get it.
Since you brought up Dark Souls initially: Dark Souls punishes you for dying, but it doesn't obviate your progress in the process. You still have any items you gained, you still have the chance to get your souls, you still learned from what killed you, and you can become more skilled and go farther in each attempt. Some enemies and obstacles stay permanently defeated. Even though you're punished, you're still making progress. (Dark Souls is usually also more fair than Shin Megami Tensei, since you can't really do poo poo about random Hama/Mudo short of nulling it entirely and you have to know it's coming up.)

In Soul Hackers, you just lose all your progress. Any experience, macca, demons, items, anything, it's all gone. There probably isn't much you could have done about what killed you, either. (That last part isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is in this context.)
The game could instead challenge you by requiring clever demon setups, and since you can save anywhere it gives you the chance to properly prepare instead of encountering a random thing and hoping you happen to have the right stuff. Or against a boss you can scout it out, see what it does, and then prep the right demons and equipment.
Persona 4 starts you back at the beginning of the dungeon floor, but you're basically never going to die in Persona 4 unless you want to challenge the glowing shadows from higher floors. (And then you're choosing to risk better rewards and advancement over having to start at the beginning of the floor and losing what you already had, which is a neat trade-off.) Persona 4 has bosses like I mentioned above - a lot of folks got stuck on shadow Mitsuo, but instead of having to play through the entire dungeon again (having lost all the stuff they could have used to properly prepare for the fight against him) they can head back to the Velvet Room/earlier dungeon floors, fuse a Persona better suited to fighting the boss, swap out party members.

Even Etrian Odyssey, a strong comparison for Soul Hackers, at least maintains your saved map data (as an option).

Losing progress isn't interesting - it's just tedious. Shin Megami Tensei series owns and it does a lot of cool stuff but it could probably do even more cool stuff if it avoided the fake difficulty of random deaths/any deaths nullifying 30-45 minutes of gameplay. An SMT that can go absolutely balls to the wall in difficulty without making that a chore would be just :swoon:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Alright, thanks. I'll probably just skip it.

Maybe one day in the future I'll feel like playing Persona 1 again, and then I'll give the Snow Queen Quest a shot.

SQQ is cool if you liked the Persona 1 cast since you get more story with them specifically Yukiko who shows up in the next game. Also if you ever decide to attempt it, make sure you check out a faq. The actual game itself once you reenter the school and the dungeons proper really isn't that hard (you can't save in the dungeon wings but they aren't very long), however in order to not make it impossible it requires a very specific start and casino purchases. This is because you have to do the dungeons in reverse order of difficulty if you want to get the shards required for the better ending.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Eggn0g posted:

The video I got that from is here, but it's full of what I assume are major spoilers.

What the gently caress is this poo poo? We went from a really awesome design to 'Evil Overlord number 33'. Is not enough to sour me on the game but man, I hope that we'll never see again those designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

His second form is even sillier/worse looking.

But yeah I really hope they give that guy the boot, I just don't think they work at all for the series.

Has there been any backlash to it in the east or are they cool with it?