Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Spiderfist Island posted:

If Catholics need any kind of "super-decision" like the Blot, they should have the option to go on a Pilgrimage to a holy site like with Muslims and the Hajj. Is the Pilgrim trait used for anything yet or is it just sitting in the code? I've never seen it on any characters.
Nah, it's just sitting in the code.

I'm not sure I'd consider the Blot a super-decision, though. Certainly not on the scale of the Hajj. Blots just give you a little chunk of prestige and piety, and make vassals like you a little more for a year.

Trujillo posted:

I thought I was set when my king only had one son by the time he was 70 so I thought it wouldn't hurt to get married again. He had twin boys and a fourth boy a year later in his mid 70's :gonk:

Is there a certain age you stop having kids? I was sure it would've been 70 at least.
Only for women, at age 45. Men can keep having kids indefinitely.

Though I have noticed that they appear to have added a hard cap at nine living kids. Once you get nine children, you can only have another one if one of them dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Trujillo posted:

I thought I was set when my king only had one son by the time he was 70 so I thought it wouldn't hurt to get married again. He had twin boys and a fourth boy a year later in his mid 70's :gonk:

Is there a certain age you stop having kids? I was sure it would've been 70 at least.

Men are capable of reproducing throughout their life. Only women become infertile with age. This is real life I'm talking about, not the game. Next time just marry someone over the age of 40.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Trujillo posted:

Fertility rates drop, but your ancient king can still make babby as long as your wife is young enough.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Schizotek posted:

You can sacrifice your own mother....so....

I got the Kinslayer trait for sacrificing my half-sister once. I've sacrificed uncles and cousins without backlash, though.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Zurai posted:

I got the Kinslayer trait for sacrificing my half-sister once. I've sacrificed uncles and cousins without backlash, though.

Were the uncles and cousins on your mother's side? I think Kinslayer is only for killing someone of your dynasty (your kinsmen). Killing maternal relations wouldn't count (unless it was a matrilineal or Hapsburg-esque marriage obviously).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I'm not sure. The one I specifically remember is Harald Fairhair's uncle, but I'm not sure if he's on the mother's or father's side.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm having a blast playing the vanilla game but I'm having some trouble, maybe it's a bug or maybe I'm just dumb (I don't understand a lot of this game but the helpful LP in the OP have done wonders). Anyway, I've a got a de jure claim on a county but when I try to declare war I'm told that I'm in rebellion. I don't think I'm in rebellion, but how would I check? Looking on google had someone else complaining about this issue, and for that guy reloading fixed it but that's not working for me.

So my question is where can I check to see if I'm in rebellion (Oh, I don't have a listed liege either. I was a vassal to England two "lives" ago but either from my own people dying or the general civil war in England no liege is listed now) and if I'm not in rebellion is this a known bug?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is this what it's supposed to look like when you hover over Yes/No for someone's decision? Just dashes and plus signs?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is this what it's supposed to look like when you hover over Yes/No for someone's decision? Just dashes and plus signs?

Yes.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yes. The +s are incentives, the -s are disincentives. If it adds up to a net positive, they'll agree.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
My current PC is a genius brilliant strategist Scandinavian lady and I'm interested in letting her lead armies. Where exactly do I go to put in that useful coding posted earlier? I want to see that 32 martial stat start cracking heads :black101:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

HenessyHero posted:

My current PC is a genius brilliant strategist Scandinavian lady and I'm interested in letting her lead armies. Where exactly do I go to put in that useful coding posted earlier? I want to see that 32 martial stat start cracking heads :black101:
common/job_titles.txt, specifically the 'allow' field for marshals.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yep. More pluses than minuses means they'll accept, though certain maluses ("No reason to move," "desires a better alliance," possibly others) mean that the offer will never work no matter what you do. And that's a step up from previous Paradox games, where you could just get an "Impossible :colbert:" with no explanation.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm having a blast playing the vanilla game but I'm having some trouble, maybe it's a bug or maybe I'm just dumb (I don't understand a lot of this game but the helpful LP in the OP have done wonders). Anyway, I've a got a de jure claim on a county but when I try to declare war I'm told that I'm in rebellion. I don't think I'm in rebellion, but how would I check?
You would know. Are you at war? Is there a little warscore meter in the lower right hand of your screen? If there is, check to see if the war is "so and so's rebellion for whatever". If it's not there, you're not at war. Maybe the other guy, is -- check him!

Chafey
Jun 14, 2005
[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/prTijqE.jpg[/URL][/timg]

There are no reasons not to like this game.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CapnAndy posted:

You would know. Are you at war? Is there a little warscore meter in the lower right hand of your screen? If there is, check to see if the war is "so and so's rebellion for whatever". If it's not there, you're not at war. Maybe the other guy, is -- check him!

You were right, I was tangled in some huge civil war in England. It's probably why I wasn't showing a liege. After the war was over I had a new liege and was able to press my claims. Of course I lost my entire army fighting in the English civil war but fortunately Duke Noone of the Nowhere Duchy of Ireland didn't have a lot of troops either.

Of course, while I was trying to siege the castle with my beleaguered ~1k army, a 6k heavy hitter comes down from the NEW war in England I'm tied into and starts to mess with me. Guess it's time to hire 225 gold's worth of mercenaries. Not like I wanted to build a new holding.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Of course, while I was trying to siege the castle with my beleaguered ~1k army, a 6k heavy hitter comes down from the NEW war in England I'm tied into and starts to mess with me. Guess it's time to hire 225 gold's worth of mercenaries. Not like I wanted to build a new holding.
Don't bankrupt yourself to win your liege's wars for him; if all else fails just wait and send your levies to Ireland again when they've replenished. Why do you care who the King of England is? Let him spend his money on mercenaries.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

The stupidest thing about Gavelkind is that my dead second sons child inherits half my kingdom (I didn't even kill him). Seriously? Why does my only living son not get everything?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I want a to be able to grant a Valkyrie title to female courtiers that lets them lead armies. I feel like this is a good compromise to full gender equality mods, somebody make it happen :colbert:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Wezlar posted:

The stupidest thing about Gavelkind is that my dead second sons child inherits half my kingdom (I didn't even kill him). Seriously? Why does my only living son not get everything?

Kill em young.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Wezlar posted:

Your 2nd son had a future inheritance of half of your kingdom, when he died young it passed directly to his son. If he had no male heirs your 1st son would've taken everything.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Man Zoroastrianism leads to some hosed up marriages, in Cumania which I converted, my former sister in law is now marrying my nephew.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Wezlar posted:

I encountered some weirdness with Ultimogeniture in my last game, too. Not sure if it's intended, but the order of succession skipped my own (living) sons for my youngest grandson. Hey cool I've got this all set up, my son is well-groomed for taking control of my growing empire. Wait, poo poo, he had a son and now his son's the heir? The gently caress, I'm 60, I'm gonna die soon and my infant grandkid is first in line to inherit??

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

What do I change in defines.lua to make all ruler designer traits free? This is all I see under ruler designer:

quote:

NRulerDesigner =
{
BASE_ATTRIB = 5,
BASE_AGE = 16,
BASE_FERTILITY = 0.5,
BASE_HEALTH = 5.0,
COST_ATTRIB = 1.0,
COST_SON = 5.0,
COST_DAUGHTER = 2.0,
COST_MARRIED = 2.0,
COST_FERTILITY = 20.0,
COST_HEALTH = 10.0,
COST_MONTHLY_PRESTIGE = 10.0,
COST_MONTHLY_PIETY = 20.0,
COST_MONTHLY_WEALTH = 10.0,
COST_CHURCH_OPINION = 0.5,
COST_SPOUCE_OPINION = 0.5,
COST_SEXAPPEAL_OPINION = 0.5,
COST_DYNASTY_OPINION = 0.5,
COST_VASSAL_OPINION = 1.0,
COST_LIEGE_OPINION = -0.5,
COST_INFIDEL_OPINION = 0.5,
COST_OPPOSITE_TRAIT_OPINION = 0.5,
COST_SAME_TRAIT_OPINION = 0.5,
COST_SAME_RELIGION_OPINION = 0.5,
COST_AMBITION_OPINION = -0.25,
COST_GENERAL_OPINION = 2.0,
MAX_AGE = 50,
},

}

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

You were right, I was tangled in some huge civil war in England. It's probably why I wasn't showing a liege. After the war was over I had a new liege and was able to press my claims. Of course I lost my entire army fighting in the English civil war but fortunately Duke Noone of the Nowhere Duchy of Ireland didn't have a lot of troops either.

Adding to what CapnAndy says about not wasting money on fighting your liege's battles for him, the best thing to do when a far larger than you doomstack from a war you don't care about is after you is to run away, preferably onto boats. They will soon find another target. If you can't run away in time, it's better to disband your levies before any battle and lose some troops than it is to get massacred.

Demiurge4 posted:

I want a to be able to grant a Valkyrie title to female courtiers that lets them lead armies. I feel like this is a good compromise to full gender equality mods, somebody make it happen :colbert:

Should be shieldmaiden not valkyrie!

Econosaurus posted:

What do I change in defines.lua to make all ruler designer traits free? This is all I see under ruler designer:

Just change all the ones that say COST to zero.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

marktheando posted:

Should be shieldmaiden not valkyrie!

Yes! A Norse version of the Vrangian guard only available to lustful rulers.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Econosaurus posted:

quote:

NRulerDesigner =
{
BASE_ATTRIB = 5,
BASE_AGE = 16,
BASE_FERTILITY = 0.5,
BASE_HEALTH = 5.0,
COST_ATTRIB = 0.0,
COST_SON = 0.0,
COST_DAUGHTER = 0.0,
COST_MARRIED = 0.0,
COST_FERTILITY = 0.0,
COST_HEALTH = 0.0,
COST_MONTHLY_PRESTIGE = 0.0,
COST_MONTHLY_PIETY = 0.0,
COST_MONTHLY_WEALTH = 0.0,
COST_CHURCH_OPINION = 0.0,
COST_SPOUCE_OPINION = 0.0,
COST_SEXAPPEAL_OPINION = 0.0,
COST_DYNASTY_OPINION = 0.0,
COST_VASSAL_OPINION = 0.0,
COST_LIEGE_OPINION = 0.0,
COST_INFIDEL_OPINION = 0.0,
COST_OPPOSITE_TRAIT_OPINION = 0.0,
COST_SAME_TRAIT_OPINION = 0.0,
COST_SAME_RELIGION_OPINION = 0.0,
COST_AMBITION_OPINION = 0.0,
COST_GENERAL_OPINION = 0.0,
MAX_AGE = 100,
},

}

Try pasting that.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gorelab posted:

Man Zoroastrianism leads to some hosed up marriages, in Cumania which I converted, my former sister in law is now marrying my nephew.

Yeah, it ends up with your sons requesting some really gross incest betrothals too.

No, my 20-year-old son, I deny your request to marry your 2-year-old sister. :gonk:

Edit: I had to make it a point of immediately arranging betrothals for my daughters upon birth, otherwise I'd get bombarded constantly with betrothal requests from her brothers/uncles/nephews. My sons would actually not marry at all and just keep spamming me with requests for toddler nuptials.

Groen
Oct 7, 2008
Started my first game, as duke of Flanders, seems like the biggest challenge is not getting crushed by the big guys around you.
Have gone from France to Roman Empire and back to France.

Had a bit of a surprise when at one time my heir inherited a french duchy through marriage and took a few counties of my realm with him. I guess if you inherit a title of the same level as your current liege you keep your titles from his realm and add them to those from the new title. Turned out alright when his son inherited my two duchies and added them the other one. That succession flipped me back to France since his primary duchy was french while the ones inherited were roman.

A question about elective inheritance: how do people decide who they vote for ? Is it based only on the relation with the possible candidates or is there a bonus for the candidate the current holder chooses ?

Groen fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 5, 2013

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I ended up going with this my game:

code:
allow = {
			OR = {
				is_female = no
				OR = {
					trait = misguided_warrior
					trait = tough_soldier
					trait = skilled_tactician
					trait = brilliant_strategist
				}
			}
			AND = {
				religion_group = pagan_group
				liege = {
					religion_group = pagan_group
				}
			}
		is_adult = yes
		prisoner = no
		NOT = { trait = incapable }
}
My rationale being if that if the lady was educated to be a warrior, then she's a goddamn warrior.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 5, 2013

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Don't bankrupt yourself to win your liege's wars for him; if all else fails just wait and send your levies to Ireland again when they've replenished. Why do you care who the King of England is? Let him spend his money on mercenaries.

What if the King's of your dynasty, or the Kingdom is defending against a Holy War? Perfectly good reasons to bankrupt yourself fighting your liege's war. :colbert:

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 5, 2013

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
I'm a relatively new player, but I'm acclimated enough to want to try mods. In lieu of CK2+ being updated, can someone recommend me a good flavor enhancer that doesn't change too much?

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Groen posted:

A question about elective inheritance: how do people decide who they vote for ? Is it based only on the relation with the possible candidates or is there a bonus for the candidate the current holder chooses ?

In general electors are inclined to support their liege's candidate if they like their liege. Beyond that I'm not sure anyone's really dug into the exact reasoning behind it, but prestige and diplomacy and other opinion modifiers probably come into it.

"I nominate myself!" is also popular, of course, but if other people don't hop on board it usually doesn't last too long.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Also, is it possibly to get territory from a war with someone without a CB?

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Wezlar posted:

Also, is it possibly to get territory from a war with someone without a CB?

No. You need a CB to declare war, period, and you can't take territory as a defender in a war (unless you count revassalizing rebelling vassals as gaining territory).

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Diogines posted:

Every time I hit March 25, 992, the game crashes on my current game.

Even if I pick another country!

Here is my save: http://www2.zippyshare.com/v/11037431/file.html

If I load an older game in this series of games, I still crash when I get close, but not on that date, which makes me believe that it is some event firing which is causing the crash.

Can anyone help me figure out what is causing my game to implode?

I don't mean to repost this, but I really want to salvage this game, can anyone help me figure out what happened?

I think it must be some event firing.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
FYI, the mods on the Paradox forums said that there will be a beta hotfix released on Steam tomorrow and the full version next week. They hinted that it's to fix some of the bugs from TOG/1.10.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Is it possible to code a rank-distance limiter on marriages?

It's pretty ridiculous that I can find a genius, unlanded courtier on the other side of the world to marry. Why would I even know they exist?

A French King should know about a Russian princess, but he wouldn't know about her ladies in waiting.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Agnostalgia posted:

No. You need a CB to declare war, period, and you can't take territory as a defender in a war (unless you count revassalizing rebelling vassals as gaining territory).

You can also holy war. Or get war declared on you? that's what im wondering about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's pretty ridiculous that I can find a genius, unlanded courtier on the other side of the world to marry. Why would I even know they exist?

A French King should know about a Russian princess, but he wouldn't know about her ladies in waiting.

Removing Crusader Kings' near-perfect information could pretty dramatically open up many new gameplay possibilities. I'm all for ramping up the complexities of the interpersonal relationships, though my guess is it would take a substantial overhaul of the system.

• Locked thread