Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Occasionally I find certain styles inaccessible and it really takes a particular beer to change my perspective and opens up an exciting world of possibility to my besotted tastebuds.....

That happened tonight.

I've occasionally tried Flanders Reds without any true epiphanies or enthusiasm, but world has been opened by Rodenbach Grand Cru. Mildly tart cherry explosion in loving soul holy poo poo.....

Amazing. I am ready to explore the sour world a lot harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Have you tried Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge? That's another really good Flanders red that's usually not too hard to find.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

dphi posted:

Have you tried Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge? That's another really good Flanders red that's usually not too hard to find.

Nope, but I will be doing so very soon. My poor wallet :(

Further down the rabbit hole I go....

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Glottis posted:

I really think people tend to overreact about the green bottles. I would avoid buying it from a store where the bottles are put in a sunny spot and it's usually just a hint of skunk. I consider that part of the flavor profile, and it's still awesome.

No, sorry. I've had more than one bottle that was so utterly skunked that you could tell it was undrinkable as soon as you opened it. Methylmercaptan isn't part of any flavor profile any brewer is going for and it is a sin to take a beer as good as Dupont is and risk ruining it by putting it in green glass. Hoppy, light-color beer in green glass? Whoever made that decision should be beaten with a chunk of rebar.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Not sure if this goes in a different thread, but someone in either this thread or the homebrew thread talked about making beer ice cream and posted a recipe. I decided to make some out of 2012 BCBS and a vanilla bean. It is incredible.

1 pint heavy cream
6 egg yolks
3/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
8oz BCBS (can substitute other beers but oh god BCBS)
1 split and scraped vanilla bean

Whisk yolks, sugar, and salt together. Add heavy cream and whisk. Heat mixture slowly to 180 on the stove, stirring fairly frequently (should take about 10-15 minutes). Remove from heat, chill in stainless bowl in ice bath. When down to about room temperature, add beer and scraped vanilla bean, stir to combine. Cover and place in the refrigerator until mixture is below 40 degrees. Remove vanilla bean halves. Put into ice cream maker for 20-30 minutes. Transfer to airtight container and freeze for 4 hours to harden.

This time, I made it with 6oz of BCBS because I was worried that 8 would be too much given its intense flavour. In the final ice cream, the vanilla overwhelms it so 8 oz is warranted.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Got a growler of Tart Side of the Moon from Brewery Vivant while in Grand Rapids on Sunday. The 'tart' element of this beer is hovering between tasty and tastes-like-bile for me. I really remember it being more sour and less bile. Still, pretty good.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Continuing the sour chat, I'm currently enjoying Allagash's FV13 (review on Untappd - reminder to anyone who hasn't added their username to the goon roster!) and I don't think I've had a sour with such an emphasis on funk. I mean, musty, pungent, "bad feet or good cheese" to quote Friends...it's not insanely puckering, nor does the barrel overwhelm the flavor. In this vein, what other sours/wild ales should I be seeking out?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

wattershed posted:

Continuing the sour chat, I'm currently enjoying Allagash's FV13 (review on Untappd - reminder to anyone who hasn't added their username to the goon roster!) and I don't think I've had a sour with such an emphasis on funk. I mean, musty, pungent, "bad feet or good cheese" to quote Friends...it's not insanely puckering, nor does the barrel overwhelm the flavor. In this vein, what other sours/wild ales should I be seeking out?

I had Weyerbacher's Reserva recently and thought that was really good, still have another bottle around too. Also, on Saturday I had a Southhampton Black Raspberry Lambic. I know its a "whale" but if you have have a chance to try it, do so. It has all the funk of a Belgian and is easily on par with what Cantillon puts out.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I think the New Jersey breweries have found their calling, porters. First it was Carton's GORP, now it's Kane's Morning Bell, a coffee milk porter. Strong coffee and syrupy chocolate are in the aroma and strong in the taste. I would take these porters over any other porter in the world that I've had so far. Excellent.

Garregus
Aug 10, 2002

dphi posted:

Picked this up recently, now looking forward to tapping it.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

wattershed posted:

I initially really enjoyed FV13 and bought a lot of bottles; towards a month or two in, I felt that the finish was a little harsher than I remembered and somewhat bitter as well. To get to the point, I just cracked a bottle of Love Child No. 3 and I think that the taste is very similar to what I loved about FV13. It is fairly sour but the barrel doesn't take over the flavor and I am very comfortable with the finish. Although, I must say that all the recent sours I've had including FV13, Goose Island's Sour Sisters, Tilquin and 3F, I still can't find anything to equal a RR Consecration/Supplication.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

I think the New Jersey breweries have found their calling, porters. First it was Carton's GORP, now it's Kane's Morning Bell, a coffee milk porter. Strong coffee and syrupy chocolate are in the aroma and strong in the taste. I would take these porters over any other porter in the world that I've had so far. Excellent.

Coffee milk porter sounds fantastic. OH is no slouch on Porters either, while Eddie Fitz is the most recognized, I think the best coming from OH would have to be Willoughby's Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter... really wish I could get it in six packs. Hell, I really wish I could regularly get growlers of it without having to drive to Willoughby.

Not UNIX
Mar 29, 2005
It was stupid speculation when the WSJ reported it, and it's stupid speculation now. It's never going to happen.

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm starting to drink more saisons as the weather has been warming up. They are a great beer to enjoy outside with a good book. What are good saisons you all recommend? I like Hinterlands Farmhouse Saison, FFF Tonnere Niege, and Revolution Coup D'Etat and live in the Chicago area.
Saisons are fantastic summer beers. Hennepin from Brewery Ommegang is one of my favorites, and is widely distributed. St-Feuillien has been mentioned already, but I'll second that one as well.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Garregus posted:

Picked this up recently, now looking forward to tapping it.

Whaaaaat?! When?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

wattershed posted:

It's pricey and may be hard to find, but Drie Fonteinen's Schaerbeekse Kriek is a near-perfect blend of funk and sour. I won't hesitate the next time I run across a bottle (even at $35 a pop).

Furious Lobster posted:

To get to the point, I just cracked a bottle of Love Child No. 3 and I think that the taste is very similar to what I loved about FV13. It is fairly sour but the barrel doesn't take over the flavor and I am very comfortable with the finish.

I agree with the general consensus with LC3 in that it's much smoother than last year's. It's also, unfortunately, not quite as complex either. I still put it on par with the RR stuff, but LC2 was a revelation for me...

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Furious Lobster posted:

I initially really enjoyed FV13 and bought a lot of bottles; towards a month or two in, I felt that the finish was a little harsher than I remembered and somewhat bitter as well. To get to the point, I just cracked a bottle of Love Child No. 3 and I think that the taste is very similar to what I loved about FV13. It is fairly sour but the barrel doesn't take over the flavor and I am very comfortable with the finish. Although, I must say that all the recent sours I've had including FV13, Goose Island's Sour Sisters, Tilquin and 3F, I still can't find anything to equal a RR Consecration/Supplication.

LC3 didn't seem to have that musty nose & aftertaste though. I've had a pair of those now (bless Bevmo's well-stocked stores and customers who've never heard of Boulevard) and while it's lovely in its own right it's more subdued than FV13.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

danbanana posted:

It's pricey and may be hard to find, but Drie Fonteinen's Schaerbeekse Kriek is a near-perfect blend of funk and sour. I won't hesitate the next time I run across a bottle (even at $35 a pop).

Hey, something with the complexity of FV13 must need time, and that's not cheap. I'll send you an invoice if it doesn't live up to my expectations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Kudosx posted:

Coffee milk porter sounds fantastic. OH is no slouch on Porters either, while Eddie Fitz is the most recognized, I think the best coming from OH would have to be Willoughby's Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter... really wish I could get it in six packs. Hell, I really wish I could regularly get growlers of it without having to drive to Willoughby.

Edmund Fitz is right next to Founders Porter as for being my favorite standard porters. Before drinking Kane's Morning Bell and Carton's GORP though, Victory at Sea was my favorite porter, these two are right on par with it, if not better. I guess it depends on your flavor preference, but they're definitely on par with Victory at Sea.

I stopped up at Unos in Maple Shade today since they were tapping all NJ beers. This is where I tried the two porters mentioned. I also tried Kane's Cloud Cover Wit, Kane's Overhead IPA, and Ramstein's Double Platinum Hefeweizen. The Cloud Cover straight up sucked. It has a lemon solvent flavor like lemon Pledge. Their Overhead IIPA is a good citrusy west coast style IIPA. The Double Platinum was just okay.

I also drank a St. Bernardus Wit, which is pretty darn good. Extremely well balanced and refreshing. I'm ending my night with a Smuttynose Baltic Porter which is a darn good baltic porter, though the aroma leaves some to be desired.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Yeah it's a great story. I stumbled upon an article either in a magazine or online (I can't remember) where they talked about how Peter Celis learned the style. The mashing techniques they did were veeeeerrrry interesting.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 4, 2013

Garregus
Aug 10, 2002

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

Whaaaaat?! When?

Soon as the stupid distributor brings me a handle for it.

Also, I really love St. Bernardus wit and the story of Pierre Celis (sp?) that goes along with it. Basically, he kept wit as a style alive and after selling Hoegaarden he went to St. Bernardus and they offered to collaborate but only if he taught them how to make wit's.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I had a Fathom IPL from Ballast Point today (which I've had before), and I have yet to have an India Pale Lager that lived up to the promise of either lager or IPA. They pretty much taste like IPA with Kolsch yeast. I feel like its something that could be done, but every time I've tried some brewery's attempt at an IPA with lager yeast it tastes just like a IPA with a tiny bit of Kolsch character. (Random rant)

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Angry Grimace posted:

I had a Fathom IPL from Ballast Point today (which I've had before), and I have yet to have an India Pale Lager that lived up to the promise of either lager or IPA. They pretty much taste like IPA with Kolsch yeast. I feel like its something that could be done, but every time I've tried some brewery's attempt at an IPA with lager yeast it tastes just like a IPA with a tiny bit of Kolsch character. (Random rant)

I've yet to try an IPL, but GLBC is about to release one for their 25th Anniversary, and I'll probably give it a shot. I'm not that familiar with Kolsch's, so I'm certain I won't be the best judge at comparing this style to one. I really need to start drinking more lagers, there are some really fantastic ones out there.

I've been on a canned beer kick recently, and tonight I'm drinking Two Brothers Sidekick for the first time. I had heard good things about this beer, but wow, it really surpassed my expectations. Previously I had never had anything from Two Brothers that stood out, and I kind of considered them to only be a so-so brewery, but this beer kicks rear end.

P.S. I'd also like to say that St. Feuillien really is fantastic, and the fact that it comes in cans is just unbelievably awesome. Really not sure why I have such an obsession with canned beers recently, but I'm about to the point where I've tried every canned craft beer available in OH.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 4, 2013

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
for those of you in the area and unaware, Upland's sour lottery is this afternoon

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

for those of you in the area and unaware, Upland's sour lottery is this afternoon

Signed up. One bottle limit makes it really hard to justify a trip to Indy but if enough of my friends "win," it will be worth it. I signed up for SR3, but man I'd love to get my hands on another Gilgamesh/Malefactor...

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Anyone have any guesses about how long it will take for some terrible brewery to make a beer brewed with this recent brood of cicadas?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Dad and I are homebrewing this weekend or the next, send me about a pound. We'll throw in some orange peel, lavender, and beard trimmings (gotta shave) and call it Cicada Gran Cru. Probably 3/4 lb goes into the mash, will save the last 1/4 pound as a sort of infusion along the lines of dry hopping.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
Registered for the lottery, I pass through Indy on my way to visit my mom and family, so it's not too bad of a trip.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Chicagoons: I've made an update to the bottle share doc to narrow down dates. Also looking for suggestions for a BYOB location that might be able to handle us.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Anyone know if any other beers will be available other than the Gilgamesh/Sour Reserve?

I opted for the Gilgamesh, but it would be a shame to drive all the way to Indianapolis for only one bottle of beer.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kudosx posted:

Anyone know if any other beers will be available other than the Gilgamesh/Sour Reserve?

I opted for the Gilgamesh, but it would be a shame to drive all the way to Indianapolis for only one bottle of beer.

I think it's just those (at least in terms of sours). I went for Sour Reserve myself, as I've already had Gilgamesh.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

I'm liking this Ballast Point canning failure.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

danbanana posted:

Chicagoons: I've made an update to the bottle share doc to narrow down dates. Also looking for suggestions for a BYOB location that might be able to handle us.

I put myself on the list.

Also, thanks funky for the Upland thing. My parents-in-law live in Louisville, so I can easily justify a trip for that on the way to their place.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Uuudar posted:

I'm liking this Ballast Point canning failure.

Double sealed for freshness!!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Double sealed for freshness!!

once you pop, you can't stop?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I know I'd seen it before, a couple years back, but never pulled the trigger on Jolly Pumpkins Biere De Mars.

I made a terrible mistake. This is phenomenal. Seriously great sour-to-wood transition. Need lots more.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Cantillon decided to get in on the canning bandwagon, I see.

Edit: Since I cannot make any beer-related decisions without consulting the hive-mind, here's a question: BCBS Vanilla Coffee, now or later? I seem to remember someone mentioning the vanilla flavor dropping off, but I might be thinking of another beer.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 5, 2013

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I seem to remember someone mentioning the vanilla flavor dropping off, but I might be thinking of another beer.

A friend of mine who when it comes to beer I trust implicitly recent described that to me, so I'd go with "now."

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Phanatic posted:

A friend of mine who when it comes to beer I trust implicitly recent described that to me, so I'd go with "now."

Thanks for the feedback, but it turns out I have the coffee version. :saddowns: I'm an idiot. Same question, though!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Phanatic posted:

It depends on how much vanilla you want. I think it probably is past prime for me but you aren't going to not get a lot of vanilla.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

I know I'd seen it before, a couple years back, but never pulled the trigger on Jolly Pumpkins Biere De Mars.

I made a terrible mistake. This is phenomenal. Seriously great sour-to-wood transition. Need lots more.

Just wait until you open your grand reserve.

edit: Beer Temple may still have some, and I heard Bottles and Cans has some too if you wind up in the city again anytime soon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Thanks for the feedback, but it turns out I have the coffee version. :saddowns: I'm an idiot. Same question, though!

yeah, the vanilla's totally gone, sorry.

opened a White Birch Berliner Weisse earlier, which is about the only beer of theirs i'd been impressed with previously, but goddamn it smells like someone sprinkled powdered cheese into an old wine cooler or something. doesn't taste a great deal better and lacks the tartness one expects from the style. kinda slick and buttery and not well-carbonated, wonder of i got (another) bad WB bottle...

haha, my girlfriend just said it "tastes like someone threw up really old cheese... oh, god, i have to stop, i'm gonna make myself puke." now she's swishing a DC Brau Corruption around her mouth to get the taste out (not for the first time!)

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 5, 2013