Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I kept warning everyone after my cerclage was removed, the baby could possibly come just about any day.

Welp, I was right!
Two days after cerclage was removed my water broke quite randomly as I was calmly sitting at my computer.

Say Hi to Travis :)

He was still breech so I had a cecerean, bleh. He is technically premature, born Thursday night at 9:16pm. Friday I would have been 37 weeks :rolleyes: so he's just under 3 hours premature. So he had to have all these glucose tests and his poor heels are all bruised!

I'm exhausted, recovery is being more difficult than I would expect, and baby pretty much never lets me sleep and eats every 1-1.5 hours lately, 2 if I'm lucky, and hardly sleeps unless I'm cuddling him :cry: I know things will get easier but yeah things kind of suck right now. I also found out today I have mastitis in one breast, no wonder I was choking back screams every time he nursed on that side.

Despite everything, my little trouble maker is doing very well. He was 6lbs 3oz at birth and is already starting to gain back what he lost while in the hospital. :neckbeard: I'm beyond thrilled with that!
All he has is some slight jaundice right now, which hopefully now that he's eating and pooping more will go away.

Anyways, I'm so in love with my little dude. What an ordeal to get him here, but so happy things turned out okay. And so thankful my Dr's treated my preterm labor symptoms the way they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Congrats Greycious! He is beautiful :3: I'm glad he got here safely.

He sounds like my daughter, she nursed 22 times a day the first few days. It gets easier and less exhausting, it really does.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Oh, Grey.. he's absolutely gorgeous :3: He's not even all swollen and lumpy looking like Rory was! Sorry about your c-section, but if it's any consolation , I felt like I started healing massively once they let me go home. Congrats!!

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
Congrats!! With everything you went through, I'm so pleased everything worked out. He's really cute!

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
GREY! My due date buddy! You cheated! Haha, I'm kidding--congratulations, he is gorgeous. Hang in there and I hope things get easier.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Greycious posted:

Anyways, I'm so in love with my little dude. What an ordeal to get him here, but so happy things turned out okay. And so thankful my Dr's treated my preterm labor symptoms the way they did.

YOU DID IT! :neckbeard:

Seriously, I'm super happy for you. You've had the worst time of it, I swear. Congratulations!

Today was my 38th week checkup and my cervix is already at 2-3cm, looks like my body's not going to dick around this time. C'mon baby!

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Molly Bloom posted:

I think I'd probably have an easier time low-carbing in the US- they don't even really do low-fat here (Can I tell you how much I miss skim milk? Rag on it all you must, but drat. Also, the French dietetic stuff is called 'Gaylord'. Really.). I doubt I'll see good numbers, as my fasting bloodsugar is right at the limit (1 g/l). She's telling me to avoid a lot of fruit and eat more dairy/crackers, but that doesn't seem to jibe with the glycemic index stuff I've been reading in English.

Things to avoid: "white" carbs ((white bread, white potatoes, white bread, regular pasta); fast sugars (juice, sodas, honey); and anything obviously sweet (pastries, ice cream).

Good in moderation: whole grains, brown rice, whole-grain pasta.

Eat plenty: proteins (meats, cheese except unpasteurized, eggs); high-fiber foods (beans); fats - seriously, they won't affect your blood sugars! avocado, nuts, oils & butter.

Go hog wild: vegetables.

Fruits are tricky. They're not completely off the table, you just need to keep it to small amounts at a time and the higher the fiber, the better, like apples.

Also, everyone tends to have high blood sugar in the morning so breakfast should be as few carbs as possible.

It sounds pretty mild which is good. You should be able to take care of it pretty easily.

travelsized
Feb 21, 2006

Greycious posted:

Say Hi to Travis :)

Hello, Travis! He's adorable. After reading about all the problems you've had with this pregnancy I'm so glad that mostly everything worked out. I hope you have a smooth recovery.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Congrats Greycious! He's adorable! Sorry he had to get pricked so much because of the whole barely-a-preemie thing though. That sucks.

Hopefully you'll start to feel better more quickly once the mastitis gets resolved.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Molly Bloom posted:

Can I tell you how much I miss skim milk? Rag on it all you must, but drat.

I've been going through 1/2 to 1 litre of the stuff a day throughout my entire pregnancy, I'd break down crying if I had do do without it.

And holy crap, Greycious, he's the most adorable little baby burrito :3: Congratulations!

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
I swear I thought this kid had a growth spurt at 7 weeks, but he is being an absolute tyrant today (9 weeks yesterday). I didn't think a little baby could eat this much milk and yet here we are. I'm still exclusively pumping because he just will not get on the breast anymore. The community nurse suggested I nurse him while she pricked his heels to get blood, and he just screamed and screamed and hasn't latched on since :( I should have known better and just comforted him AFTER it was all done, but I was tired and she's a nurse so she knows what she's talking about, right? Ugh. I feel like an idiot.

I'm not sure what to do about his sleeping. I'm bringing him upstairs to get him ready for bed at 7.. this means I wash his neck and other fatty folds, change his nappy, wiggles on the bed, and then a bottle with skin to skin. After a burp, he's acting sleepy and will nuzzle into me with a binky, but as soon as I start singing to him and his eyes start to close, he just fights sleep so hard.. it's usually 9:30 by the time he finally goes down. I'm probably over thinking the whole bedtime routine, but he just seems so tired and I don't know how to get him to sleep when he needs to be.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol
Oh Grey, he's so cute! Congrats!!! After all the troubles you've had, him being just a few hours premature is great. I hope you bounce back soon.

I always forget not everyone is in the US, I blame baby brain. You might look into the low-carb thread in the exercise section, they've got some neat recipes and might be able to help you find stuff in your area you can eat.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Greycious, he's beautiful.

Feel free to complain all you want in the Facebook group about him nursing constantly. Those first few weeks are so rough & I think the only way to make it through is verification that it sucks that bad for everyone.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

GoreJess posted:

Feel free to complain all you want in the Facebook group about him nursing constantly. Those first few weeks are so rough & I think the only way to make it through is verification that it sucks that bad for everyone.

Wait... There's a fb group? Where do I find this magic place? Lol

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
You can request to join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAMoms/

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Congratulations Grey :) Travis is super cute. I hope your mastitis is gone really soon, that sounds awful.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Ooh thank you. :) gives me another place to read when I'm feeding her at 3 am. Lol

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Dandy Shrew posted:

I swear I thought this kid had a growth spurt at 7 weeks, but he is being an absolute tyrant today (9 weeks yesterday). I didn't think a little baby could eat this much milk and yet here we are. I'm still exclusively pumping because he just will not get on the breast anymore. The community nurse suggested I nurse him while she pricked his heels to get blood, and he just screamed and screamed and hasn't latched on since :( I should have known better and just comforted him AFTER it was all done, but I was tired and she's a nurse so she knows what she's talking about, right? Ugh. I feel like an idiot.

I exclusively pumped and, despite all of the little calculators online, my son knocked back 36 oz. of breast milk every day. Piggy. If you are interested in trying to get him to latch again, I'd recommend trying some skin-to-skin time without any pressure to feed or anything like that to desensitize the little guy.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

I sent a request. It didn't let me add what my sa username is though. Should I have included that somewhere?

annaconda
Mar 12, 2007
deadly bite
I also just sent a user-name-less request! I am now 13 weeks and 3 days with my first ever pregnancy, and I am finally starting to believe I might actually have a baby, not just a weird medical condition. I've read through the entire thread and it's so helpful, and so much better than the ~*~*babydust*~*~ forums.

So far I have had spotting to begin the pregnancy, then bright bleeding with clots and cramps at about 8 weeks, and daily vomits since then. The vomiting is actually getting worse in the last 2 weeks, which is unpleasant but reassuring.

I'm due on December 8th.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ceridwen posted:

I sent a request. It didn't let me add what my sa username is though. Should I have included that somewhere?

Nah, we just let anyone in who can stand up to the hazing.

I seem to recall that the only reason we switched it to a closed group anyway was the introduction of the damned stalker ticker, where everything you posted in open groups was being broadcast to all of fb.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

hepscat posted:

Things to avoid: "white" carbs ((white bread, white potatoes, white bread, regular pasta); fast sugars (juice, sodas, honey); and anything obviously sweet (pastries, ice cream).

Good in moderation: whole grains, brown rice, whole-grain pasta.

Eat plenty: proteins (meats, cheese except unpasteurized, eggs); high-fiber foods (beans); fats - seriously, they won't affect your blood sugars! avocado, nuts, oils & butter.

Go hog wild: vegetables.

Fruits are tricky. They're not completely off the table, you just need to keep it to small amounts at a time and the higher the fiber, the better, like apples.

Also, everyone tends to have high blood sugar in the morning so breakfast should be as few carbs as possible.
It sounds pretty mild which is good. You should be able to take care of it pretty easily.

Cheers on the advice- she was sounding a little bit mad advising me to have a slice of bread when I was hungry instead of an apple. She's also yelling at my for gaining weight. I've put on like... 5 kilos? 6 maybe? I know I'm already overweight, but I thought I wasn't doing too badly at less that 15lbs for six months, considering I could eat a whole cow by myself.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

annaconda posted:

I also just sent a user-name-less request! I am now 13 weeks and 3 days with my first ever pregnancy, and I am finally starting to believe I might actually have a baby, not just a weird medical condition. I've read through the entire thread and it's so helpful, and so much better than the ~*~*babydust*~*~ forums.

So far I have had spotting to begin the pregnancy, then bright bleeding with clots and cramps at about 8 weeks, and daily vomits since then. The vomiting is actually getting worse in the last 2 weeks, which is unpleasant but reassuring.

I'm due on December 8th.

Congrats on the pregnancy. Spotting and bleeding in pregnancy suck. Were they able to find a cause?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
I have a baby name concern.

When we got married, we combined my last name and his last name, and we're both now named Myname Hisname.
We want to name our daughter after our mothers, and untill now the plan was to name her Hismum Mymum.
The first name (Hismum) is one I've never given much thought to and that doesn't really have any special significance for me, but I figured I'd get used to it and associate it with kiddo after a while. Well, now she's arriving in one month, and I'm still kind of "meh" towards it, and I've realised something else - the naming laws here are so that you can only have one official last name, if you have more the other one is technically a middle name, and is liable to be dropped from various lists and registers and things. After finding myself listed as Sockmuppet Hisname on several occations since the marriage, I've started to worry that if we stick to the Hismum Mymum-first name configuration, she'll be listed as Hismum Hisname a lot, and both my family names will get lost in the middle.

Is this just a hormonal pregnancy worry or something I'm right to be concerned about? I only ask because I started crying the other day because my homemade bread was too crumbly and I felt like an unfit mother because I couldn't provide my child with sandwiches that wouldn't fall apart, so I don't entirely trust my judgement when it comes to realistic concerns these days.

(I haven't actually asked him yet how he feels about changing her name to Mymum Hismum, so this whole thing might be a non-issue, but for my own peace of mind it'd be nice to get some input on the validity of worrying about this)

(Also she's still buttside down :argh: We're going to the hospital for an ultrasound and an assessment next Wednesday)

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Sockmuppet posted:

I have a baby name concern.

When we got married, we combined my last name and his last name, and we're both now named Myname Hisname.
We want to name our daughter after our mothers, and untill now the plan was to name her Hismum Mymum.
The first name (Hismum) is one I've never given much thought to and that doesn't really have any special significance for me, but I figured I'd get used to it and associate it with kiddo after a while. Well, now she's arriving in one month, and I'm still kind of "meh" towards it, and I've realised something else - the naming laws here are so that you can only have one official last name, if you have more the other one is technically a middle name, and is liable to be dropped from various lists and registers and things. After finding myself listed as Sockmuppet Hisname on several occations since the marriage, I've started to worry that if we stick to the Hismum Mymum-first name configuration, she'll be listed as Hismum Hisname a lot, and both my family names will get lost in the middle.

Is this just a hormonal pregnancy worry or something I'm right to be concerned about? I only ask because I started crying the other day because my homemade bread was too crumbly and I felt like an unfit mother because I couldn't provide my child with sandwiches that wouldn't fall apart, so I don't entirely trust my judgement when it comes to realistic concerns these days.

(I haven't actually asked him yet how he feels about changing her name to Mymum Hismum, so this whole thing might be a non-issue, but for my own peace of mind it'd be nice to get some input on the validity of worrying about this)

(Also she's still buttside down :argh: We're going to the hospital for an ultrasound and an assessment next Wednesday)

Ask him! It can't hurt. When we got married, I changed my name from TouretteMeltdown Middlename Myname to TouretteMeltdown Myname Hisname - but I'm content to just be TouretteMeltdown Hisname, and he didn't change his. Bring it up if it bothers you, and hopefully y'all can meet in the middle somewhere.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Tourette Meltdown posted:

Ask him! It can't hurt. When we got married, I changed my name from TouretteMeltdown Middlename Myname to TouretteMeltdown Myname Hisname - but I'm content to just be TouretteMeltdown Hisname, and he didn't change his. Bring it up if it bothers you, and hopefully y'all can meet in the middle somewhere.

Oh, I'll definitely ask him - this has kind of crept up on me and I didn't really realise until today how much it actually bothered me. I just wanted a neutral sounding board for whether or not this seemed like a valid concern or if I'd just made up another big worry in my head - I did break down crying over a loaf of bread :v:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I think having a desire for your baby to share your name, or at least some part of it is a totally valid concern and not irrational at all :)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Molly, when I had GD, they sat me down with a nutritionist who told me how many servings of carbs and protein to eat at the same time. She calculated it based on my weight, but I kept getting faint from low blood sugar, so my doc oked me to eat an extra serving when I needed it. The basic idea was not to go crazy on carbs, and when you eat one, eat it WITH protein. Also, not to eat a lot of sugar or carbs for breakfast, because when you break that fast, it's easier to spike your sugar. Greek yogurt was a fantastic choice, cheeses, meats, etc. It was still ok to eat candy or fruit here and there, just not the entire box of popsicles, and no pop or juice.

edit: oh hey i missed a whole page.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe

Ben Davis posted:

...just not the entire box of popsicles...

This is what I call "a serving size" of popsicles.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Sockmuppet posted:

Oh, I'll definitely ask him - this has kind of crept up on me and I didn't really realise until today how much it actually bothered me. I just wanted a neutral sounding board for whether or not this seemed like a valid concern or if I'd just made up another big worry in my head - I did break down crying over a loaf of bread :v:

I cry about bread even when I'm not pregnant. Baking is the worst.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Congrats!! I think we had similar due dates also. Mine is the 18th, and I'm getting braxton hics contractions like freakin' crazy. I danced to club music for a good hour or so today while cleaning, and it has made the contractions even more intense. Not sure if it really did anything to progress anything, but a huge pregnant lady club dancing has got to be one of the funniest things my boyfriend has ever seen.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
Where are you guys finding clothes that don't cost an arm and a leg? Maybe I'm a cheap bastard but there is no way in hell I'm blowing $20 apiece on a wardrobe of tank tops that will fit my rear end for like a month tops. I'm running out of ways to strategically work my old clothes.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Old Navy and Target were my go-to for inexpensive maternity shirts. Generally I could find t-shirts for about $8 on sale.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

sudont posted:

This is what I call "a serving size" of popsicles.

So do I ;) That's why I had to point it out!

edit: Go to your local Salvation Army or Goodwill. They have looooads of maternity!

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006

Amelia Song posted:

Old Navy and Target were my go-to for inexpensive maternity shirts. Generally I could find t-shirts for about $8 on sale.

Ooh I tried Old Navy and found zilch that was actually reasonably priced but I didn't think of Target!
Tried Salvation Army as well. I live in a hick town so everything was either Duggar-chic or Amish (yes those are slightly different).

MockTurtle fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 6, 2013

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
A lot of children's consignment shops will have a maternity section section. The hair tie trick is great for jeans too.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
I'm way past the hair tie trick being an option. I broke down and bought a couple pairs of maternity jeans a couple months ago and am living in those (and pajama pants when not in public). The main thing is shirt lengths - I was pulling my old tank tops down around my hips and the covering my boobs with normal t-shirts but it's getting a little toasty out to be doing the multilayer thing every day. I live in the boondocks but I'm taking a trip to the BIG CITY tomorrow where there are actual stores besides Kmart so cross your fingers that the consignment gods have something semi-cute to offer.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Kohls has maternity too.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/ourbrands/maternity.jsp

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
I've only bought maternity jeans and tights, everything else I've bought is just regular clothes in a larger size, or I've looked for clothes with an empire waist, or extra long tank tops and things like that, so I can use them later on as well. Luckily I've never been fond of clothes that fit tight around my midsection, so I'm still wearing mostly my regular wardrobe, with the aid of maternity tights and long tank tops.

Depressingly I've had to buy new underwear every other month - I've gone from a size XS to a size L in underpants :saddowns:

Thank you for the responses to my baby name worry - I've concluded that it's a legitimate concern, and brought it up with the husband yesterday after work. He said he understood, and that he'd think about it for a bit and see if the reversal of names worked for him, or if we should find another solution together, so we'll see what happens. We've got until she's 6 months old before the government steps in and names her for us :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I won some good quality maternity jeans on ebay for $8, and the seller was from my town so I organised with her to pick them up. When I got to her house, she gave me a huge bag of maternity clothes she couldn't be bothered listing on ebay. So I guess I lucked out there.

I've discovered that wrap dresses, long singlet tops, and dresses with empire waists seem to convert reasonably well into maternity wear. Oh and my yoga pants with the roll down waist are great for around the house.