Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

relish_fetish posted:

Really enjoy this shot, clean. Her hair maybe a bit awkward the way it is Falling between her legs.

I tried my hand at portraits a couple weeks back and these were the ones I was happy with. Not much of any processing as I am new to Lightroom and am very inferior with it.

Mitch 2

Mitch 3

I did a fish eye shot for fun too, and I know the reflector is a bit noticeable in the shades, will edit that out once I get better at Lightroom.

Mitch 1

Since this is my first go, please do offer advice so I can improve. Obviously a run through Lightroom with a person skilled would do them some good. Also they may all be too yellow due to the gold reflector, but wanted warm summer shots.

Thank you.
Relish

I don't think I'd worry that much about the processing just yet. To me the posing/angles is where they really fall down -- all of them (and the last two particularly) are quite unflattering for a lot of reasons. The second has a bad angle over all and just is not a great perspective for just about anyone, the third looks like it's way too wide and close but that might not be the only issue. Look at portraiture that you like and think about what they're doing in terms of posing and framing and start to incorporate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
I was shooting for fun in my basement and my son made my this gift. It was such a sudden move.

cedr (1 of 1)-18 by J-YG, on Flickr

cedr (1 of 1)-10 by J-YG, on Flickr

Kids can be so much fun !

cedr (1 of 1)-8 by J-YG, on Flickr

I only used 1 flash aimed at the ceiling.

relish_fetish
Jan 24, 2012

TsarAleksi posted:

I don't think I'd worry that much about the processing just yet. To me the posing/angles is where they really fall down -- all of them (and the last two particularly) are quite unflattering for a lot of reasons. The second has a bad angle over all and just is not a great perspective for just about anyone, the third looks like it's way too wide and close but that might not be the only issue. Look at portraiture that you like and think about what they're doing in terms of posing and framing and start to incorporate it.

Thanks for the input. I have been reading up on it a bit, but as you point out I have a lot of room to improve. For my first go at it though I am relatively happy. But I see what you and others mean about them not being too flattering in regards to posing, etc. thanks again.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

kigu by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I'm terrible at taking pictures of people so I've been trying to do it more. This is the first one I've liked. Kinda wish I had avoided getting the bear trashcan in the background.

20130526-_MG_4105 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
One more.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

thetzar posted:

One more.

I nearly jumped out of my chair. I thought this was my ex.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Verman posted:

I nearly jumped out of my chair. I thought this was my ex.

Well. I mean... she might be.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

thetzar posted:

Well. I mean... she might be.

No. My ex isn't as cute and got all butch after going super fixie hipster chick.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

thetzar posted:

One more.

Is there a reason you didn't get rid of the flyaway hair in front of her face?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

McMadCow posted:

Is there a reason you didn't get rid of the flyaway hair in front of her face?

Yeah, I kind of dug it. Right after I took this shot, I actually moved that hair away, but looking at the photos after that, I sort of liked he flyaway.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

thetzar posted:

Yeah, I kind of dug it. Right after I took this shot, I actually moved that hair away, but looking at the photos after that, I sort of liked he flyaway.

Honestly it reads as a mistake. It's in the weird range of size where it's big enough to be seen, but not big enough to be an obvious choice. If you made the choice in editing, that's cool. But I wouldn't be surprised if most people are distracted by it.

Also, just a quick suggestion about her pose... I like how you have the tension of her body pointed one way and her head facing the other, but it becomes a bit too twisted and unnatural with her eyes back to camera. I would have kept it body camera left, head and eyes camera right.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

kigu2 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

McMadCow posted:

Honestly it reads as a mistake. It's in the weird range of size where it's big enough to be seen, but not big enough to be an obvious choice. If you made the choice in editing, that's cool. But I wouldn't be surprised if most people are distracted by it.

Also, just a quick suggestion about her pose... I like how you have the tension of her body pointed one way and her head facing the other, but it becomes a bit too twisted and unnatural with her eyes back to camera. I would have kept it body camera left, head and eyes camera right.

Good thought, thank you for the time to give it! Looking at it now, you're absolutely right, the eyes should go right.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

thetzar posted:

One more.

While it's a hell of a thing to do on the fly, I would have moved your key light to the right and upstage (a little) of the subject, the split lighting across her face isn't really working that well. Easy rule of thumb is 'dark side towards camera' for faces, no matter how small that darkside is. Not always applicable but for basic three or two point lighting it's helpful. I would also pull some exposure from her chest, it's er, probably not where you intended the emphasis to be.
Posing is nice.

There's a bit more to your subject that I think you could have used. the first thing that sticks out to me is the head knob-things. A dead on profile would have created an awesome shape with the face just peering out from the hood. As it stands it's in the middle ground between abstract and traditional (what's the antonym for abstract?). I actually dig the super casual pose and the juxtaposing between a traditionally 'tough guy' slouch and a comical outfit does play.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 3, 2013

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 5, 2013

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

XTimmy posted:

There's a bit more to your subject that I think you could have used. the first thing that sticks out to me is the head knob-things. A dead on profile would have created an awesome shape with the face just peering out from the hood. As it stands it's in the middle ground between abstract and traditional (what's the antonym for abstract?). I actually dig the super casual pose and the juxtaposing between a traditionally 'tough guy' slouch and a comical outfit does play.

I have to thankyou for your advice a few pages back, really helped me out a lot. I haven't been out to the studio anywhere near as much to play as it stands I don't have many local friends to take photos of :lol:
But in terms of the face peering out you mean like the coloured portrait of same subject a couple of posts earlier?

But cheers for the tip... I have a few more to play with at some stage

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Don't know why I like this so much, but I do like it.

Arthur Woods by torgeaux, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Shhh, shh. Don't ask why.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Reichstag posted:

Shhh, shh. Don't ask why.

Look, a sailboat.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

8th-samurai posted:

Look, a sailboat.

It's a schooner.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Sludge Tank posted:

I have to thankyou for your advice a few pages back, really helped me out a lot. I haven't been out to the studio anywhere near as much to play as it stands I don't have many local friends to take photos of :lol:
But in terms of the face peering out you mean like the coloured portrait of same subject a couple of posts earlier?

But cheers for the tip... I have a few more to play with at some stage

Yes, kind of. My point is that a hard, straight on profile would have been interesting due to the shape of the costume and hood. Using the subject as an abstract shape on the negative black space.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I tried to remove all the stray hairs that were distracting, here's the result.

untitled by francography, on Flickr

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 5, 2013

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Looks awesome but her eye looks a little overdone in the first pic. That's just my amateur perspective.

How did you do the hairs?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Candid question here: how do you achieve this ? The sun comes straight from behind her so it should darken the rest of the picture, right ? Do you use an external source of light like a wide reflective surface ? The light is so evenly distributed on her. I'm lost.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 5, 2013

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

he's metering for the subject not the sky.

it helps using a reflector but its not 100% necessary.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
That and a little bump in Lightroom at a guess.

The fake grad NDs aren't doing you any favors, go the long route; cut her out and apply them solely to the background.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 5, 2013

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Paragon8 posted:

he's metering for the subject not the sky.

Correct.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

There can be a trap in when you start thinking about light as sources that you tend to assume you need the sun as a direct source and forget its bouncing off nearly everything (some more efficiently than others). Light colored floors can be great sources of big light - like sand, snow, marble, concrete etc.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

XTimmy posted:

That and a little bump in Lightroom at a guess.

The fake grad NDs aren't doing you any favors, go the long route; cut her out and apply them solely to the background.

Heehee!!! I was going back and forth on doing it or not, and making a mask with so much hair is really difficult so I went the lazy route and it shows :( I really just wanted to add some drama to her eye, so maybe at the very least i can remove the "fake nd" from her right shoulder as that area looks really muddy.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Vanessa by McMadCow, on Flickr

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 7, 2013

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I know it's not a terribly interesting portrait, but from a processing standpoint is it awful?

model by philip painter, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
From a processing and lighting standpoint, I'd say it looks fine. There seems to be kind of a halo around her hair though, was there a background that was edited out or something?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

QPZIL posted:

From a processing and lighting standpoint, I'd say it looks fine. There seems to be kind of a halo around her hair though, was there a background that was edited out or something?

Yeah, that's my terrible job at masking. I should spend some more time with it. :smith: Any suggestions for not getting the halo?

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 7, 2013

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

1, don't care so much about the edge of hair. Unless it's for a hair or beauty ad only photography forum people will nitpick it.

2, individually clone out hairs. there's no easy way that looks good.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Paragon8 posted:

2, individually clone out hairs. there's no easy way that looks good.
Truth; I've watched a few demo videos for masking products that makes it look like masking hairs etc off complex backgrounds to be a quick mask and click button affair, then trying the demo and getting nowhere fast :o: Anyone tried such a plugin that actually works as advertised?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

smallmouth posted:

Yeah, that's my terrible job at masking. I should spend some more time with it. :smith: Any suggestions for not getting the halo?

"Refine edge" can be helpful, depending on your background. Feather less.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

smallmouth posted:

I know it's not a terribly interesting portrait, but from a processing standpoint is it awful?

model by philip painter, on Flickr

Depends on your aim but the whole "dark socket" thing you have going on her right eye is not working for me at all. The way the lighting is hitting her face makes her face look overly broad with poor complexion, which is usually not an aim of portraiture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Chitin posted:

"Refine edge" can be helpful, depending on your background. Feather less.

"Refine mask" is also a godsend.