Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Is it really that bloated? Its Pad, Pro and Wiimotes. The Pros are just like a pad minus the screen and are thus quite similar. Is it really worse than MS' basic controller, Kinect, Smartglass and possible future VR glasses combo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jet Set Jettison posted:

The actual real good news is that this kickstarter is doing real good.

Wow, it's like combining Sunshine and Wind Waker.

I am however disappointed that was an umbrella she was hitting the Mafia cooks with instead of a giant fish. No donation from me.

Getting Co-Op is cool but not entirely needed. I hope it gets all seven missions.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Cliff Racer posted:

Is it really that bloated? Its Pad, Pro and Wiimotes. The Pros are just like a pad minus the screen and are thus quite similar. Is it really worse than MS' basic controller, Kinect, Smartglass and possible future VR glasses combo?

- GamePad
- Pro Controller
- Wii Remote
- Wii Remote Plus
-- Nunchuk
-- Classic Controller
-- Classic Controller Pro

The Wii U has too many controllers. I feel like I even missed one. These are just the ones I own.

e: Balance board

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
You know, if they were to release some of their 3DS games like Luigi's Mansion 2 and the N64 Zelda remakes as Wii U downloadable titles, like upscaled in HD, I would probably be tempted to grab a Wii U. As it is I'm having a hard time wanting to invest in either system. The DS Zelda games were awful so I'm not too stoked on LTTP 2. Here's hoping for some strong first party titles and a good price cut (the Target sale nearly pushed me over the edge). I keep having weird dreams where I buy a Wii U and then wake up and realize I really have no reason to get one.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

Here's a hierarchy I think would make sense:

Gamepad - Primary controller (obviously).
Pro - The natural secondary option, the thing you buy when you need more controllers for general use. Usable for nearly all multiplayer games.
Wiimote - Alternative option for certain suitable titles.

And yeah, when you factor in that the Wiimote itself is a modular controller with various attachments, it gets messier to use and market. What's a new Wii U buyer supposed to choose when they want to pick up an extra controller?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
When has it ever been a bad thing that there are multiple ways to play games on a console?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Soul Glo posted:

- GamePad
- Pro Controller
- Wii Remote
- Wii Remote Plus
-- Nunchuk
-- Classic Controller
-- Classic Controller Pro

The Wii U has too many controllers. I feel like I even missed one. These are just the ones I own.

Yeah but out of these the only "required" ones are the Gamepad, Pro, and Wii remote plus (or remote with plus attachment) and nunchuck. Thats only three kinds, four if you wanna count the remote and remote/nunchuck as two different controllers. It sounds confusing on paper, but in reality its barely worse than a single controller type.

Again, Nintendo marketing making things sound more confusing than it is!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

When has it ever been a bad thing that there are multiple ways to play games on a console?

Heavy Rain had all its DLC cancelled because Sony told Quantic Dream to give it PS Move support. Maybe that's bad? Heavy Rain does suck though...

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Nintendo is recalling all the Basic Models according to some Neogaf poster. Price cut inevitable for the Deluxe version?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Policenaut posted:

Heavy Rain had all its DLC cancelled because Sony told Quantic Dream to give it PS Move support. Maybe that's bad? Heavy Rain does suck though...

But see, that's limiting the controls.

For a Wii U game you usually have to play with the tablet but if you want to play multiplayer you usually have a ton of options: Wii U Pro, Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro with Wii Remote, Wii Remote Plus with Nunchuk, I mean that saves you money on being forced to purchase four Wii U Pro controllers so others can play.

If you don't like having so many controllers just sell them. I only pull out my Wii Remotes or Classic Controller when friends come over.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

One of the problems is inconsistent support among the console's library. Some games let you use controller A but not B, other games let you use controller B but not A, and so forth. There should be a consistently-supported controller for general use and multiplayer, and I'm just arguing that the Wiimote isn't a very good candidate for that role (not that games should be banned from allowing it or whatever).

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Supercar Gautier posted:

There should be a consistently-supported controller for general use and multiplayer

I thought that was the Gamepad and Wii U Pro.

EDIT: Guess not, but Nintendo is starting to update games like Super Mario U to support the Wii U Pro.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 5, 2013

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Oh, so that's why they're excavating the landfill to reclaim those E.T. cartridges in New Mexico. :haw:

Most likely they'll get gutted and be resold as the White Premiums like in Japan.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

And yet the Pro isn't currently usable for either of the flagship multiplayer titles, and one of them is only getting a patch to support it 8 months in.

The Gamepad works for everything, but only one person gets to use it. There needs to be an answer for "What does everyone else use?" that doesn't require a Venn diagram.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Oh, so that's why they're excavating the landfill to reclaim those E.T. cartridges in New Mexico. :haw:

Most likely they'll get gutted and be resold as the White Premiums like in Japan.

It may not even be necessary to gut them to add more storage, depending on who they want to market to; they could just repackage them with more poo poo in the box (ie, Wii Fit Bundle).

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 5, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So far it seems to be Gamepad and Remote/Nunchuck, with the Pro existing purely for the future when developers dont wanna come up with something different for their multiplatform games.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Or they're preparing the Basic Mario Kart Bundle for Christmas 2013.

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

Maybe Nintendo bought the Banjo-Kazooie license from Rare and Retro is making the game?

Old post, but just wanted to reply to this and say I would die forever if this happened.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

da anime bulldog posted:

Old post, but just wanted to reply to this and say I would die forever if this happened.

Not like Microsoft did much of anything with Rare. They really didn't release much to my knowledge after the buy out

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Spiffster posted:

Not like Microsoft did much of anything with Rare. They really didn't release much to my knowledge after the buy out

They actually released an ok amount. Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Conker Live and Reloaded, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Pinata, Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise, Viva Pinata Pocket Paradise, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, Kinect Sports, Kinect Sports season 2. Problem is that the couple good games they did DIDNT FREEKIN SELL

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Supercar Gautier posted:

The Gamepad works for everything, but only one person gets to use it. There needs to be an answer for "What does everyone else use?" that doesn't require a Venn diagram.

That answer is the wiimote + nunchuck so far at least. I have yet to see any multiplayer title which required the use of anything other than the wiimote+nunchuck once the gamepad is already in use by another player. In addition, the game cases use the same type of standard picture diagrams showing what the game minimally requires. People have been used to looking at that information for a long time now. It really is the least of Nintendo's worries when it comes to confused consumers.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Gutcruncher posted:

They actually released an ok amount. Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Conker Live and Reloaded, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Pinata, Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise, Viva Pinata Pocket Paradise, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, Kinect Sports, Kinect Sports season 2. Problem is that the couple good games they did DIDNT FREEKIN SELL

I didn't play through Nuts and Bolts, but I saw what happens at the beginning of the game and I'm sure the fact that they straight up poo poo all over the game format that made Banjo Kazooie famous in the first place didn't help matters.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Macaluso posted:

I didn't play through Nuts and Bolts, but I saw what happens at the beginning of the game and I'm sure the fact that they straight up poo poo all over the game format that made Banjo Kazooie famous in the first place didn't help matters.

The intro to Nuts & Bolts much like the rest of Nuts & Bolts was loving fantastic

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

absolutely anything posted:

The intro to Nuts & Bolts much like the rest of Nuts & Bolts was loving fantastic

Nuts and Bolts was utterly brilliant. The sheer scale to which I could craft my mile-long flying cock was overwhelming.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

Do you not know what humor is? You missed out on one of the most amazing and creative games ever.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Gutcruncher posted:

Also Banjo Pilot and Kameo.

But remember, Rare isn't just one team working on stuff, they are a huge studio (and were comparatively even more so back in the pre-HD days when most games weren't made by hundreds of people) who had a ton of projects drag on forever only to be either underwhelming or canceled before release. Over twelve years they haven't released as much as they should have.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Macaluso posted:

Nuts & Bolts was way loving better than previous BK titles in my opinion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Nuts & Bolts was way loving better than previous BK titles in my opinion.

It was. Flat out.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Come to think of it, apart from that lame Zelda attraction, there's no reason the multiplayer in Nintendo Land couldn't have allowed use of the Pro controller.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Huh wow I've never actually heard anything good about nuts and bolts til now. I don't have any xboxes so I can't try it out still sadly.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Macaluso posted:

Huh wow I've never actually heard anything good about nuts and bolts til now. I don't have any xboxes so I can't try it out still sadly.

Just wait until the XBox marketplace and windows 8 marketplace are the same thing and download it on your PC.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

Also Banjo Pilot and Kameo.

But remember, Rare isn't just one team working on stuff, they are a huge studio (and were comparatively even more so back in the pre-HD days when most games weren't made by hundreds of people) who had a ton of projects drag on forever only to be either underwhelming or canceled before release. Over twelve years they haven't released as much as they should have.

Banjo Pilot was wank.

Rare have always been kinda inefficient, I remember Perfect Dark being delayed was a huge running joke in Official Nintendo Magazine. Then everyone was kinda sad that the joke ended when the game came out.

Then Dinosaur Planet happened.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Macaluso posted:

The best part of the game is realizing they were originally making a platformer, got a new idea for a game (the nuts and bolts thing) and instead of actually creating levels designed to work around the new nuts and bolts concept, they just kept the Banjo Tooie levels pretty much intact and it doesn't work at all. But people love the game mechanics of Nuts and Bolts so they don't care. All 14 of them.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The best part of the game is realizing they were originally making a platformer, got a new idea for a game (the nuts and bolts thing) and instead of actually creating levels designed to work around the new nuts and bolts concept, they just kept the Banjo Tooie levels pretty much intact and it doesn't work at all. But people love the game mechanics of Nuts and Bolts so they don't care. All 14 of them.

What are you even talking about ? Nuts and Bolts has more polish than most games I've ever seen.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nnnnnnnnnnnooooooooo? Do you even know what game you are actually talking about here?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Yeah I'm sure the logbox 720 was in Banjo Tooie.

There was 1 count it one level reused and thats just spiral mountain which you spend a total of 15 minutes in at the beginning and end of the game.

Seriously Nuts and Bolts is loving awesome and your a bad person for not weeping with joy that it exists.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

There was one part of Nuts and Bolts that involved me traveling up a spiral road to a water tank, getting into the water and swimming through a water filled tunnel until eventually getting to a jiggy. I built myself a blimp that transforms into a submarine for the mission. I floating all the way up to the water tank, completely circumventing the roads , positioned myself over the water and smashed a button. Suddenly my flight balloons deflate and some of my floaters inflate. By using several floaters bound to different buttons, I was able to reliably control my depth with being propelled forward with my propeller, previously used for flight.

Nuts and Bolts lets you do things like that, so it owns.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

There was one part of Nuts and Bolts that involved me traveling up a spiral road to a water tank, getting into the water and swimming through a water filled tunnel until eventually getting to a jiggy. I built myself a blimp that transforms into a submarine for the mission. I floating all the way up to the water tank, completely circumventing the roads , positioned myself over the water and smashed a button. Suddenly my flight balloons deflate and some of my floaters inflate. By using several floaters bound to different buttons, I was able to reliably control my depth with being propelled forward with my propeller, previously used for flight.

Nuts and Bolts lets you do things like that, so it owns.

A lot of the time Nuts and Bolts just gives you a start point, an end point, a fuckload of obstacles and says to have at it. It gave me new respect for videogame helicopters because I had a folding propeller on just about everything I built to deal with sudden vertical sections. The game could do serious platforming too, as anyone who got the achievement for reaching the highest point in Showdown Town would attest.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ducktales HD is shaping up to be awful, peep these endless cutscenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pkk7JXS24w

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Meme Emulator posted:

It's so terrible, I might buy the soundtrack too!

drat, that looks fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Yes, how... terrible. That looks just awful with its classic voice actors and beautiful graphics and improved boss fights.

• Locked thread