Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

Ducktales HD is shaping up to be awful, peep these endless cutscenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pkk7JXS24w

Uh what. That looks pretty good and I'm actually interested in the game now. I had no idea they'd gotten the voice actors from the cartoons. That's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

It's probably the last time we'll get to hear Uncle Scrooge's voice actor (he's in his 90s), so I personally wouldn't care if the game had MGS4-long cutscenes.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Whoa whoa whoa, you guys think that forest scene looks good, and not just a garish mess of colors? It looks awful. Its a shame because the transylvania scenes look so nice, but the Amazon is such a mess its hard to tell whether the enemies are in the background or in the scene with you.

And its so goddamn unnecessary to go "Whoa, this coin? An Eagle?" stopping the action every time you walk over something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, you guys think that forest scene looks good, and not just a garish mess of colors? It looks awful.

Yes, it looks pretty good actually. It's neither garish nor a mess. It's a pretty nice remake of the original NES area with modern aesthetics. Everything is clean and plainly visible while retaining distinctive areas. You're basically the first person I've heard have any complaints at all aside from maybe that they wished the cutscenes played while the game went on instead of stopping for it to happen.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Meme Emulator posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, you guys think that forest scene looks good, and not just a garish mess of colors? It looks awful. Its a shame because the transylvania scenes look so nice, but the Amazon is such a mess its hard to tell whether the enemies are in the background or in the scene with you.

And its so goddamn unnecessary to go "Whoa, this coin? An Eagle?" stopping the action every time you walk over something.

No you're crazy. I honestly thought you were joking when you first posted the link.

The dude who does Scrooge's voice is like 93 now and he hasn't lost his touch at all :allears:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I also had no idea that the show went off the air the year I was born and my childhood was spent watching consecutively aired reruns.

Or that the guy who did Scrooge's voice was 93 and still alive. It's seriously so cool he was willing to come back to do this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I also had no idea that the show went off the air the year I was born and my childhood was spent watching consecutively aired reruns.

Or that the guy who did Scrooge's voice was 93 and still alive. It's seriously so cool he was willing to come back to do this game.

The woman voicing the evil witch duck is 95.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ha, you're making me imagine ulillillia looking at Scrooge McDuck now on a roof and saying "Wow would you look at that? It's a bird and it's alive. You don't see that everyday"

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

I too am blind.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Meme Emulator posted:

What the hell, that wasn't sarcasm earlier? Jesus H Christ :cripes:

Maybe it's just me sucking at games as a kid, but I was always getting stuck in old NES games that were non-linear, mostly because they had no way to guide me. I like the bit of direction that gives you and the voice acting is wonderful.

And as for the graphics, well, that poo poo's subjective, but I find it beautiful.

J Detan fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 5, 2013

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I get the complaints about the cutscenes even if I don't really agree with them but visually I think the game looks fine :confused:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

To me "garish mess of colors" means things that clash or hurt your eyes. The amazon is mostly greens in the background, with some purple and blue flowers and then browns and visible, light colored platforms in the foreground that the different colored enemies are clearly on.

So I don't even know what you're talking about.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I don't know how many of you have played Diablo 3 but that video is giving me flashbacks, I completely agree with him on the cutscenes ruining the flow of the game. As for the visual style, I don't find it hard to distinguish enemies from the background but I do think the 2D models and the 3D background clash too much in certain places which makes it look cheap. That said, at the supposed price point (15€) the game is already a non-purchase for me anyways.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 5, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
When did they ever say it would cost that much? As far as I know they've been saying $15 from the start.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Meme Emulator posted:

Wow they really didn't try.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

When did they ever say it would cost that much? As far as I know they've been saying $15 from the start.

Sorry I had my numbers mixed up, I just remembered it launched at that "premium" price XLBA/PSN games tend to be nowadays. It's a $10 game at best, depending on how much extra content they put in there compared to the original DuckTales.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Wow they really didn't try.

You know how low the budgets for these sorts of games are, right? It's pretty lazy to just write them off for "not trying" or whatever.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Scrooge sounds better in Ducktales HD than in Kingdom hearts and I mean ALL of the Kingdom hearts.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
If you select a different user account when the Wii U starts up, will games in Wii mode get a separate set of save files? Would access to downloaded games be different?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Minidust posted:

If you select a different user account when the Wii U starts up, will games in Wii mode get a separate set of save files? Would access to downloaded games be different?

Since the Wii had no user system, I don't see why the game saves would be different. I'll see what happens when I try to access the Shop Channel without my Nintendo Network user signed in. Watch this post.

Edit: When I went to enter the Wii menu it said "A Nintendo Network ID is required to use the Wii Shop Channel"

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 5, 2013

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Meme Emulator posted:

You spelled "awesome" wrong.

Seriously, this looks great. And the cutscenes are fantastic with that voice actor.

Shame there's not a retail release of this.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Minidust posted:

I just tried, everything works fine

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Soul Glo posted:

You spelled "awesome" wrong.

Seriously, this looks great. And the cutscenes are fantastic with that voice actor.

Shame there's not a retail release of this.

Yeah it looks really great and the cutscenes are awesome since it's the original voice actors. I hope they do Rescue Rangers next.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You know how low the budgets for these sorts of games are, right? It's pretty lazy to just write them off for "not trying" or whatever.

True, I probably should have said it looks bad then.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Since the Wii had no user system, I don't see why the game saves would be different. I'll see what happens when I try to access the Shop Channel without my Nintendo Network user signed in. Watch this post.

Edit: When I went to enter the Wii menu it said "A Nintendo Network ID is required to use the Wii Shop Channel"
Aha, good to know. And if you play a Wii game, is your save data there? Basically I'm wondering if my sister can play my games and just not worry about my files, or if we just need to respect each other's save slots in each game as if we're playing SNES.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah it looks really great and the cutscenes are awesome since it's the original voice actors. I hope they do Rescue Rangers next.

It's a shame they shut off the MMORPG servers a few years ago.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Minidust posted:

Aha, good to know. And if you play a Wii game, is your save data there? Basically I'm wondering if my sister can play my games and just not worry about my files, or if we just need to respect each other's save slots in each game as if we're playing SNES.

Yes, all the save files and downloaded shop channel games are shared across all profiles, so just be careful to not overwrite eachothers.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Katana Gomai posted:

Sorry I had my numbers mixed up, I just remembered it launched at that "premium" price XLBA/PSN games tend to be nowadays. It's a $10 game at best, depending on how much extra content they put in there compared to the original DuckTales.

Getting the original voice actors alone make it worth $15 for me. I understand people not wanting it that didn't play it on the NES, but for $15 anyone that grew up playing it or watching Ducktales will probably love it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I grew up with the original Capcom games and I can't recall ever wishing Scrooge would go into a monologue every time he grabbed some loot.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Getting the original voice actors alone make it worth $15 for me. I understand people not wanting it that didn't play it on the NES, but for $15 anyone that grew up playing it or watching Ducktales will probably love it.

It's quite the opposite for me actually, I played the originals and own them still but considering what games you can get for 15€ nowadays, the remake of (apparently) only the first NES title just doesn't have enough content to justify that kind of money, production values aside. Way back when they announced it, I said they have four games to draw content from (NES 1+2, GameBoy 1+2) and they could have easily fitted all of that into the game, plus being able to switch between original and retro graphics/sound etc.

It's cool that they got the original voice actors (although that means nothing if you, like me, grew up on a dubbed version of the cartoon) but otherwise they went the way of least resitance and the cutscenes do seem extremely jarring. They're triggering my Diablo 3 PTSD.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Shush, if you complain too much then Darkwing Duck Remastered won't have his overwrought soliloquies every time he confronts the boss.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
ok, well I was wrong. I will still enjoy the game though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm not really fond of McDuck commenting on the coins but it seems it only happens if you find a hidden area/treasure so I don't think it's going to ruin the flow or anything.
The video probably made it look more frequent than it's going to be.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Isn't that literally the first level? They're actually trying to put in some plot, introduce the characters and mechanics, get you into it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Chronojam posted:

They're actually trying to put in some plot, introduce the characters and mechanics, get you into it.

The point is it wasn't necessary back then and it isn't now, but it's expected of a video game. It's Scrooge McDuck, he wants to get richer, he goes to collect treasure. That's it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It kinda is needed now, according to the focus tests they did - kids had no idea who any of the characters were supposed to be, they couldn't work out how to pogo, they weren't finding (or even looking for) any of the secrets.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

It kinda is needed now, according to the focus tests they did - kids had no idea who any of the characters were supposed to be, they couldn't work out how to pogo, they weren't finding (or even looking for) any of the secrets.

I loving hate this generation if that has any truth to it. There's no way kids are just ten times dumber now. I beat super contra when I was six.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

elf help book fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 5, 2013

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

I loving hate this generation if that has any truth to it. There's no way kids are just ten times dumber now. I beat super contra when I was six.

Kids these days play Minecraft and do amazing poo poo in that; it's not that they've gotten dumber, it's that their expectations of a video game have changed. Just like we bitch about the fact that every game has hour-long tutorials that spell every little thing out for you, they're not used to the relatively arcane style of NES-era games which tell you exactly nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

elf help book posted:

But they also found that kids didn't know who Scrooge McDuck is, so if they are catering to today's kids at that point they should've scrapped the entire project.

See, I think using a game to re-establish Ducktales with today's kids is a great idea, I just don't get why they're trying to do it with a $15 digital-only remake of a NES game. Why not just go the whole hog and make a full-on modern retail game rather than half-arsing it like this?

EDIT: okay I know why, Epic Mickey is why, but still

• Locked thread