Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Eat the pizzacone, mp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Ahahaha Ricola has one too. Squashy maaaaad.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

Eat This Glob posted:

I just got in the new Saveur today, and there was a Uruguayan recipe in their "grilling special" that called for ribeye to be brined. I saw it over lunch, and didn't know it was time for Brine Chat so I didn't really make note of it, but I can post the recipe when I get home if anyone has any interest in it. It's not something I'm planning on making because with steak, because for me, it's salt, grill, maybe add pepper, and eat medium rare.

that doesn't even make sense!?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Drink and Fight posted:

I haven't been posting in GWC for weeks, Idk how I got dragged into this

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Drink and Fight posted:

Huh? No, not really. I was a little grumpy the other morning, but that's because it still hurt to laugh/cough/blow my nose (you know, the puke muscles).

I swear I had nothing to do with this, the last time I bought someone an AV was pr0k, and that was 3 years ago during the big name change confusion.

EDIT:
Trust me, I'd have gone a different direction with those AVs; the pizzacone meme is even more retarded then the ducksword one.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

Huh? No, not really. I was a little grumpy the other morning, but that's because it still hurt to laugh/cough/blow my nose (you know, the puke muscles).

I swear I had nothing to do with this, the last time I bought someone an AV was pr0k, and that was 3 years ago during the big name change confusion.

EDIT:
Trust me, I'd have gone a different direction with those AVs; the pizzacone meme is even more retarded then the ducksword one.

:iiam: then. Pizzacone hasn't even been a thing for like a year. Someone is mad.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I feel like I have to catch up on a lot of things. After googling what a pizza cone is, how does it relate to poo poo here?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

wasn't there a gws.txt floating around? I feel like certain bits of lore should be added. Like pizzacone, and punktaft's easter propitiation for ricola's egg sins via cadbury flight. And Man Chili.

And EmeraldCity's cherrypork.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

ZetsurinPower posted:

that doesn't even make sense!?

Well, I done goofed on that. The recipe was for ojo de bife con chimichurri. It's the chimichurri that called to be brined, not the ribeye. Whoops.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

wasn't there a gws.txt floating around? I feel like certain bits of lore should be added. Like pizzacone, and punktaft's easter propitiation for ricola's egg sins via cadbury flight. And Man Chili.

And EmeraldCity's cherrypork.

https://www.goonswithspoons.com/gws.txt

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

there was also this that I stumbled upon somehow:

http://goonapetit.tumblr.com/

lol. I'm kinda sad whoever it was stopped.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bunnielab posted:

420 Smoke turkeys everyday.
Yeah, I usually do turkeys in the smoker. Domestic fowl tend to be on the bland side, but I think turkey white meat is more assertive than chicken white meat, and it takes smoke better.

I think a big problem I have with turkey is that I don't have a hell of a lot of experience with it outside the `big holiday dinner' frame of reference. Maybe I should gently caress around with it more.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ahahahaha

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I can't believe it, they spelled kawaii wrong %^@@(^_^)!!!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Eeyo posted:

I can't believe it, they spelled kawaii wrong %^@@(^_^)!!!

Maybe they spelled Kuwait wrong?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The asian market near me has durians and I eye them every time I go. One day.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

The asian market near me has durians and I eye them every time I go. One day.

do it. Sometimes they will sell halved ones or quartered ones like you see half or quartered melons in cold cases at conventional grocers. Durian owns.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Next time I go I'll probably grab some just to give it a try.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

Next time I go I'll probably grab some just to give it a try.

do it!

it's like nature's creme caramel...with a side of feet.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
Fuckin heston blumenthal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfGs9YVSueI

Hey guys, !!!!!HYDROCOLLOIDS!!!!!

Also, check out this "dasshi" thing

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

for sale posted:

Fuckin heston blumenthal

you should read modernist cuisine volume 4.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
If I actually bought that thing all I could afford to eat would be gelatin and foam.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Turkey is also just bad. Even when buying super expensive premium heritage breeds, breaking it all down and cooking everything sous vide or whatever to the proper temperature and doneness and whatever and sperging poetic, it's still a loving turkey and I would rather have pretty much any other meat.

You be quiet. Turkey sandwiches are awesome. And healthy. I eat turkey every day in a sandwich, sliced real thin and piled on some wholemeal with some cheddar , rocket and sriracha. Nomnom.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

for sale posted:

Fuckin heston blumenthal

have you ever met an average british tv-watching person

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
^If this show has taught me anything it's that british people are nostalgic for their extremely depressing foods and if somebody makes them out of black truffles and wagyu beef then it becomes playful and inventive

I remember doing the grant achatz sous vide turkey but one of the bags opened a little so I got a watery, overcooked turkey breast that was going to give me cancer from the cheap ziplocs I had at the time. The other one was like art though :iiam:

for sale fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 5, 2013

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
So his guests get to make their own noodles but instead of eating them they get to watch gelatin ~*magically*~ dissolve? Trust the British to put huge effort into being whimsical yet still come out boring as gently caress. :britain:

Although I'd actually enjoy a Rube Goldberg cooking contest where the contestants have to use the most outlandish techniques and ingredients to create a ham sandwich that tastes like a ham sandwich but is not, in fact, anything even remotely close to a ham sandwich.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

PiratePing posted:

Although I'd actually enjoy a Rube Goldberg cooking contest where the contestants have to use the most outlandish techniques and ingredients to create a ham sandwich that tastes like a ham sandwich but is not, in fact, anything even remotely close to a ham sandwich.
You've just described molecular gastronomy.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

SubG posted:

You've just described molecular gastronomy.

Never heard of it before, that's pretty cool! Must be fun to play around with all the flavours and textures :)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

PiratePing posted:

Never heard of it before, that's pretty cool! Must be fun to play around with all the flavours and textures :)

YUM YUM

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

PiratePing posted:

Meat fruit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4HFu_bkUak

Edit: I wonder how long it will take until molecular gastronomy becomes the in thing again. It seems like at the moment the trend is still pretty much the absolute opposite, as far as fine dining goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O73kYWvtzJs

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 5, 2013

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PiratePing posted:

So his guests get to make their own noodles but instead of eating them they get to watch gelatin ~*magically*~ dissolve? Trust the British to put huge effort into being whimsical yet still come out boring as gently caress. :britain:

That's why his restaurant has 3 Michelin stars, because his food is whimsical and fun but also tasty as gently caress.

You have to watch the whole show for that section to make sense really, it was just a fun way to make the broth for his soup.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

Eat This Glob posted:

Well, I done goofed on that. The recipe was for ojo de bife con chimichurri. It's the chimichurri that called to be brined, not the ribeye. Whoops.

that doesn't make sense either haha how do you brine a chimichurri?

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Food Safety info:

"Local", "Family Farm", "Sustainable", "Organic", "Hormone Free", "Free Range" do NOT mean "safe".

If those things are important to you, awesome. Don't think they will keep you and your family from getting sick from cross contamination and/or undercooking or poor handling.

Birds are natural vectors and resevoirs for Salmonella and Campylobacter. Both can make you sick, to permanently injured, to dead, depending on the strain and on the immune system of the person in question.

Please, cook your food properly and sanitize things that touch raw meat, regardless of if you get it from Farmer Joe or if you get it from Tyson Meats at Costco.

And before you vegetarians get all superior, don't forget that the majority of foodborne illness outbreaks for several years have come from leafy greens and cut produce.

See below from Barfblog.com

"We eat a lot of chicken. I either stuff a whole chicken with lemons or onions and oven-roast (in the winter) or use indirect heat outside with a 3/4 full beer can stuck into the bird’s, uh, cavity (in the summer). Regardless of where we happen to be shopping (farmers market or a grocery store), I pick one up pretty much every week. I assume that the raw product is covered in Salmonella and Campylobacter so I try not to cross-contaminate and use a digital tip-sensitive thermometer to ensure my chicken has reached a safe temp. I’m doing what I can to reduce risk of illness. Bringing less pathogens into my kitchen would further reduce that risk.

Joshua Scheinberg, Stephanie Doores and friend of barfblog Cathy Cutter published a study in Journal of Food Safety detailing a study they conducted looking at pathogen presence and prevalence on whole chickens purchased from farmers markets or grocery stores as well as produced conventionally or under organic certification. They found (not surprisingly) that there’s a bunch of Campy and Salmonella on chickens, but that there were differences between retail types.

From the article:

Chicken obtained from farmers’ markets were positive for Salmonella spp., at a prevalence rate of 28%, which was not significantly different than the prevalence of 20% found in organically processed chicken. Salmonella spp. prevalence in both farmers’ market and organic chicken however, were found to be significantly higher than that of conventional chicken. Campylobacter spp. contamination rate was found to be high in farmers’ market whole chicken, with a positive prevalence of 90%. The prevalence of Campylobacter spp. in farmers’ market chicken was significantly higher than both conventionally and organically processed chicken, while organic chicken exhibited the lowest prevalence of 28%. Within the 90 Campylobacter spp.-positive farmers’ market whole chickens, 67% were found to harbor enumerable Campylobacter spp. populations compared with 52 and 22% of conventional and organic chicken enumerable populations, respectively.

Scheinberg et al. also looked at whether pathogens recovered from farmers’ markets chickens differed whether they were frozen or fresh – as campy is pretty delicate and has been shown to be affected by freezing.

Also from the article:

To evaluate whether freezing may be beneficial for farmers’ market vendors in reducing potential pathogen load on raw whole chicken, both fresh and frozen chicken were purchased from farmers’ markets. All chicken obtained from supermarkets were purchased as fresh. In this study, Campylobacter spp. and Salmonella spp. prevalence between farmers’ market, fresh and frozen chicken were not significantly different from one another, suggesting that freezing may not reduce either pathogen to nondetectable levels. Significant differ- ences were found between the number of chickens contain- ing enumerable Campylobacter spp. concentrations above 1.0 log10 cfu/mL in frozen versus fresh chicken. This obser- vation may suggest that freezing raw chicken may not reduce Campylobacter spp. to undetectable levels; yet the lower storage temperatures may reduce higher populations of Campylobacter spp. present on the raw chicken.

This data helps farmers’ market folks make risk management decisions: While freezing isn’t going to eliminate the pathogen, it is an added step that a vendor can take to reduce how much campy makes it in to kitchens. The location doesn’t matter as much as the practices of the vendor.

The article, A microbial comparison of poultry products obtained from farmers’ markets and supermarkets in Pennsylvania can be found as an early view article at the Journal of Food Safety website."

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Barnyard animals rut around in their own poo, yes we know.

Now imagine how much worse those sad chickens would be if Foster Farms didn't bleach them before packaging.

I don't bleach my chickens

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

DekeThornton posted:

Edit: I wonder how long it will take until molecular gastronomy becomes the in thing again. It seems like at the moment the trend is still pretty much the absolute opposite, as far as fine dining goes.

Since when is modernism "out"? It's still very much a thing, but now it's status quo. I think people have just stopped being enamored with modernism for modernisms sake and making it completely obvious that they did a modernist thing and have turned to practical modernism. The whole notion of modernist cuisine was to challenge old methods and improve them by using new techniques and tools.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Since when is modernism "out"?

December 9 2010, sometime in the afternoon.

And by out I mean just that modernism isn't really a buzzword these Days. Of course a lot of the methods used in modernism have had a huge impact and have been normalised and widespread simply because they are great and give good results. But for the past few years the focus, it seems to me, has been much more on things such as foraging, "terroir" and traditional methods. You are more likely to find a gushing article about Rene Redzepi picking sorrel in some backyard in Aarhus these days, than a similar article about Blumenthal making an edible impressionist painting of a ham sandwich out of dehydrated seafood and agar agar.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I think the next big thing is neo-haute, like recreating 8 foot high lobster sculptures out of caviar, truffles, trout mousse, and roasted duck cheek just because.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

DekeThornton posted:

Rene Redzepi

lol. Noma is hellllllllllllla modernist dude. Juniper dusted malt flatbread made to look like sticks. Black currant "ribbons". Black trumpet mushroom dust. etc

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

GrAviTy84 posted:

lol. Noma is hellllllllllllla modernist dude. Juniper dusted malt flatbread made to look like sticks. Black currant "ribbons". Black trumpet mushroom dust. etc

Sure, he uses a lot of modernist methods. As do Magnus Nilsson to some extent as I understand it. However whenever journalists write about them the focus is always on other aspects of the restaurants and about how they differ from both traditional haute cuisine restaurants and "molecular gastronomy" (whatever that actually means). The selling point is how they break away from previous trends, not the ways that they still stick to the succesful parts of those previous trends.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Modernism is technique, not trend.