Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Charlz Guybon posted:

A French King should know about a Russian princess, but he wouldn't know about her ladies in waiting.

He would also have about a hundred times more marriage options in France alone than would be practical to simulate in-game. Someitmes you have to compromise in the name of not having tons of bachelor-kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I bought this game on steam, installed and played through the tutorial.

I then installed the Game of Thrones mod. The mod installed into my documents / Paradox which, according to the Read Me in my real mod folder, is actually the correct installation path. I started up the game and I saw the mod in the mod list so I chose it... Game loads up, I see the new custom background and GoT related tips.

Game loaded up to 99% and then it crashed, tried again and it crashed again. Any idea why this happens? I only have 2GB of ram, so I did not use the 4 gb of patch. I got the game via steam, so it is up to the newest version.

Haaalppp

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 5, 2013

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

There was a major patch recently and it broke all the mods. GoT hasn't updated yet. In fact as far as I know only Project Balance and The Winter King have updated since 1.10 hit, of the major mods.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Caufman posted:

Removing Crusader Kings' near-perfect information could pretty dramatically open up many new gameplay possibilities. I'm all for ramping up the complexities of the interpersonal relationships, though my guess is it would take a substantial overhaul of the system.
A "Make me a potential bride list" mission for your chancellor would be nice if it doesn't take forever.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

It is commonly believed that this game is a middle ages noble simulation.

Wrong.

It is a breeding simulator.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

A "Make me a potential bride list" mission for your chancellor would be nice if it doesn't take forever.

And if your chancellor isn't scheming to marry you off to an inbred hick.

I would really enjoy seeing an expansion of the patronage system. Chancellors and other councilors shouldn't have to work alone. Just like in the medieval era, they would have agents they would delegate tasks to, and there are plenty of idle courtiers doing gently caress-all for nothing.

Ah well, maybe Crusader Kings III will be the medieval social network simulator I'm looking for.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Mister Adequate posted:

There was a major patch recently and it broke all the mods. GoT hasn't updated yet. In fact as far as I know only Project Balance and The Winter King have updated since 1.10 hit, of the major mods.

gently caress, I bought this game just because of that mod.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Enigma89 posted:

Give em a week or two and all the major mods will be compatible. The newest expansion changed almost every file

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
With 2 years of DLC hopefully well see something that expands on your court and their abilities (maybe some events for them too).

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Toplowtech posted:

It takes about sixteen years! :haw:

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Converting all the Steppe people to Zoroastrianism is hilarious, there's now a huge Cuman Zoroastrian state, along with Perm and Ruthenia.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Enigma89 posted:

Why not play some more of the vanilla game in the meanwhile? The tutorial's a bit out of date at this point, anyways, and it's a good way to build your chops.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Enigma89 posted:

That mod is almost a total rewrite of the game. There is so many thing changed it'll probably take them a week or two just to get it running again.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Walliard posted:

He would also have about a hundred times more marriage options in France alone than would be practical to simulate in-game. Someitmes you have to compromise in the name of not having tons of bachelor-kings.

That's not true, a French King had to marry a Kievan princess in the 9th (?) century because there were literally no marriage prospects of high enough birth in Western Europe.

EDIT: It was 11th and he had to go that far afield because he was related to every princess in Western and Central Europe. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_of_Kiev

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Enigma89 posted:

When looking at your steam game's list right click on Crusader Kings II, click "properties" and then click over to the betas tab. You'll see a drop down menu which will default you to "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs". Click that menu and pick the option right below it, the "1_09x - Patch level 1.09x". This will tell steam to revert to the 1.09 version of the game. It'll have to redownload some content but once that's done I'm assuming Game of Thrones will work. I can't guarantee it, however, as I've never played that mod.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just after the homosexual husband of my Norwegian queen gets out of prison in the Faroe islands he decides he's tired of not owning any land so he sets of to conquer a sultanate in northern Africa. He currently getting his rear end handed to him. Not sure how that could possibly have seemed like a good idea. At least he managed to knock up his queen right before jumping on the first boat from Reykjavik to Tunis.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

As a Catholic King, how do I convert the pesky Norse? They keep raiding me, and whilst I can drive them off, or invade them - I was hoping to send missionaries, and bring them to the light, so to speak.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Moreau posted:

As a Catholic King, how do I convert the pesky Norse? They keep raiding me, and whilst I can drive them off, or invade them - I was hoping to send missionaries, and bring them to the light, so to speak.
Send your court chaplain to proselytize in their capital.

Be warned that this has a good chance of getting your chaplain imprisoned.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Enigma89 posted:

Don't worry, it'll get updated pretty soon. Just play vanilla for a bit, I prefer mods myself too but even on release day CK2 was a hell of a game and it has only improved since.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Since there's some demand for "just" being able to choose True Cognatic succession, appoint female councilors and the like, I've made Girl Power, a mod which is sort of the tamer version of CK2+'s Gender Equality mode. It doesn't automatically change every single realm in the game to True Cognatic sucession, but it gives most rulers the option to -- so long as they are female and have high enough crown authority It also removes opinion penalties for female heirs and rulers.

Also, comes with a Born on the Battlefield trait given to children born to a woman while leading an army, and the ability for Norse Pagans to designate sufficiently brave, wrothful, cruel, zealous or militarily-trained women as Shieldmaidens.

v-Yup! That was one of the first things I tried. I guess "has_minor_title=" is incompatible with "allow=" for some reason. Too bad. :(-v

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 5, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
^^-Hah. Speaking of which...

Well, darn. It appears that you cannot make job positions contingent on holding specific minor titles. I tried making up a 'shieldmaiden' title that north germanic cultures could grant to reasonably-competent women with a martial education, but the game crashes on the initial loadup when I tried to make the possession of that title quality a woman for the marshal position.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I'm having a problem. I've successfully stabilized the realms of Finland and Rus into a solid state, and now that I'm expanding further outwards, controlling more than half of Lithuania, I was thinking of forming an empire. However, I checked, and both Scandinavia & Russia have cultural restrictions preventing any Finn from forming them. In fact, the closest empire I can form is... the Carpathians?

So, I was going to mod the game to add the noble Finno-Rus Empire. However, I have no idea what I'm doing, and this:

code:
e_finland = {
	color={ 180 95 95 }
	capital = 381 # Uusimaa

allow = {
		war = no
		not = { tier = emperor }
		culture_group = finno_ugric
		hidden_tooltip = { 
			OR = {
				check_variable = { which = "realm_size" value = 149.5 }
				e_finland = { OR = { is_titular = no has_holder = yes } }
			}
		}
	}
	culture = finnish
	short_name = yes

creation_requires_capital = no	
}
code:
#CODE;ENGLISH;FRENCH;GERMAN;;SPANISH;;;;;;;;;x;
e_finland;Finno-Rus;Finno-Rus;Finno-Rus;;Finno-Rus;;;;;;;;;x
e_finland_adj;Finnish;Finnish;Finnish;;Finnish;;;;;;;;;x
*;;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
in mod/Finno-Rus/common/landed_titles/titular_titles.txt & mod/Finno-Rus/localization/0_titles.csv respectively, crashes the game when I get to the save game screen.

This is my first time modding, & I'm basically just copy-pasting from the last CK2. Any idea what I'm doing wrong, guides for new modders, etc?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

HenessyHero posted:

I ended up going with this my game:

code:
allow = {
			OR = {
				is_female = no
				OR = {
					trait = misguided_warrior
					trait = tough_soldier
					trait = skilled_tactician
					trait = brilliant_strategist
				}
			}
			AND = {
				religion_group = pagan_group
				liege = {
				}
			}
		is_adult = yes
		prisoner = no
		NOT = { trait = incapable }
}
My rationale being if that if the lady was educated to be a warrior, then she's a goddamn warrior.

If I'm reading that right, that should probably be

code:
allow = {
	OR = {
		is_female = no
		trait = tough_soldier
		liege = {
		}
	}
	is_adult = yes
	prisoner = no
}
unless you want to restrict the marshal job to pagans & pagan vassals only.

As above, I'm hardly an expert modder, but I think I can manage conditionals?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Since there's some demand for "just" being able to choose True Cognatic succession, appoint female councilors and the like, I've made Girl Power, a mod which is sort of the tamer version of CK2+'s Gender Equality mode. It doesn't automatically change every single realm in the game to True Cognatic sucession, but it gives most rulers the option to -- so long as they are female and have high enough crown authority It also removes opinion penalties for female heirs and rulers.

A long shot question, does your mod work for republics? I'm frustrated with the lack of matriarchs and matrilineal marriages!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Caufman posted:

A long shot question, does your mod work for republics? I'm frustrated with the lack of matriarchs and matrilineal marriages!

Nope. Patrician elective is hard-coded to be patriarchal. I'm afraid I can't do anything about it! v :( v

It's even stickier than Muslims. With the Muslims all you need to do is remove the "NOT={religion_group = muslim_group}" restrictions on Ag-Cog/True-Cog succession. But Patrician elective never ever allows women, even if you mod the "designate heir" title to allow you to designate female heirs. It's the one thing I wish they'd revise in the next patch.

If they could do it with allowing female army leaders, they can do it with this!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 5, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

This is my first time modding, & I'm basically just copy-pasting from the last CK2. Any idea what I'm doing wrong, guides for new modders, etc?
Looks reasonable at first glance. Vanilla doesn't have any "realm_size" variable, though. It would slightly surprise it if the absence of that variable would make the game crash, but...give it a try after deleting that line, maybe.

Or maybe replace it with num_of_king_titles = 3 or something.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

If I'm reading that right, that should probably be

snip

unless you want to restrict the marshal job to pagans & pagan vassals only.
Nah, this is no good either. It would open up the marshal job to any martial-educated woman in any court, any pagan woman in any court, as well as any woman in any pagan court.

In the allow scope, you would ACTUALLY want:

code:
allow = {
	OR = {
		is_female = no
		AND = {
			OR = {
				trait = tough_soldier
			}
			liege = {
			}
		}
	}
	is_adult = yes
	prisoner = no
}
Which allows it for all men, and also women if they have one of the martial educations AND they are pagan AND their liege is pagan.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I have to admit, it's nice to be able to build up to a decent sized kingdom and then kick back as gavelkind succession and an ambitious brother knocks you back down to duke. At this point I've got a cushy post as the duke of Gwynedd. I'm basically spending my days trying to stab a path for House Dinefwr members to sneak their way into succession of faraway lands while the AI king does all the dirty military work. Through my marriage shenanigans Wales somehow ended up (this was after I lost the kingdom) as the biggest member state of the HRE.

The lesson I've learned is not to quit your game just because you lost a few titles.

Elsewhere in my world, I have Dinefwr holdouts who have waxed and waned but never completely got kicked out of their holdings in Sweden. There's also an epic holy war between the Ilkhanate and the Golden Horde over whether Old Tengri or Reformed Tengri is the one true faith.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm having a problem. I've successfully stabilized the realms of Finland and Rus into a solid state, and now that I'm expanding further outwards, controlling more than half of Lithuania, I was thinking of forming an empire. However, I checked, and both Scandinavia & Russia have cultural restrictions preventing any Finn from forming them. In fact, the closest empire I can form is... the Carpathians?

So, I was going to mod the game to add the noble Finno-Rus Empire. However, I have no idea what I'm doing, and this:

code:
e_finland = {
	color={ 180 95 95 }
	capital = 381 # Uusimaa

allow = {
		war = no
		not = { tier = emperor }
		culture_group = finno_ugric
		hidden_tooltip = { 
			OR = {
				check_variable = { which = "realm_size" value = 149.5 }
				e_finland = { OR = { is_titular = no has_holder = yes } }
			}
		}
	}
	culture = finnish
	short_name = yes

creation_requires_capital = no	
}
code:
#CODE;ENGLISH;FRENCH;GERMAN;;SPANISH;;;;;;;;;x;
e_finland;Finno-Rus;Finno-Rus;Finno-Rus;;Finno-Rus;;;;;;;;;x
e_finland_adj;Finnish;Finnish;Finnish;;Finnish;;;;;;;;;x
*;;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
in mod/Finno-Rus/common/landed_titles/titular_titles.txt & mod/Finno-Rus/localization/0_titles.csv respectively, crashes the game when I get to the save game screen.

If you just want to create an empire, you could open up the console, change your culture to Russian or Swedish, create the empire, then change back to Finnish.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Looks reasonable at first glance. Vanilla doesn't have any "realm_size" variable, though. It would slightly surprise it if the absence of that variable would make the game crash, but...give it a try after deleting that line, maybe.

Or maybe replace it with num_of_king_titles = 3 or something.

Thanks! After putzing around for half an hour, I've gotten it nearly working. The crash was caused by a missing flag - when I added the flag, I was able to load saves again. Not sure why that broke, but I could still load up a historical start & console-give myself the title with no flag...

The one problem was that the title didn't appear in the title search or the list of form-able titles. I tried removing the hyphen from the name in a number of places, but on my third attempt, I ended up with this:

So I formed the empire & edited the name back afterward. Good enough!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Better Armies - Now with 100% more The Old Gods compatibility

me posted:

Better Armies Thread

Compatibility patch for Better Armies:

Changelog
Version 1.2 - Vanilla only
-Made compatible with 1.10 patch & The Old Gods DLC
-Tweaked combat tactics to utilize the new 'steppe' terrain type
-Tweaked looting to be slower
-Fixed some retinue bugs and made compatible with new version
-Duct-taped building system onto new technology system (works for now, will need to go back and rework some things in the future)
-Removed Tengri & Norse levy size bonuses until I figure out how to implement a negative tax modifier on those religions to balance them out
-Shrunk Magyar starting army, removed bonus troops they receive after forming Hungary, and made starting stack non-inheritable. Once the starting King dies they disband, should keep Hungary from going hog-wild

DOWNLOAD
Better Armies v.1.2 Vanilla
Alternate Download

INSTALL:
1)Download Better Armies
2)Delete any previous version of Better Armies
3)Unzip into your "Crusader Kings 2/mod" folder

TO PLAY:
1)Enable "[Required] Better Armies Vanilla"
2)Enjoy!

Please bear in mind that I haven't addressed balance much yet, with all the new fancy systems I've got a lot of reworking to do. At least for now though you can have battles that make sense and armies of reasonable sizes.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Can religions be renamed in-game like France starting off as West Francia?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Flippycunt posted:

Better Armies - Now with 100% more The Old Gods compatibility

Please bear in mind that I haven't addressed balance much yet, with all the new fancy systems I've got a lot of reworking to do. At least for now though you can have battles that make sense and armies of reasonable sizes.

Can river travel be unlocked for other religions/cultures? It's kinda silly that Norse sail through entire Russia but should Rurik's kids convert they just stare at passing ships from the coast and can't use river anymore.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Yes. It's tied to Religion. In the '00_religions' file, copy 'allow_rivermovement = yes' from one religion to the others.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

How the hell are you supposed to take Finnish lands? Their garrison is bigger than the supply limit so I can't even siege.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You're not, not without heavy losses at least.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sankis posted:

How the hell are you supposed to take Finnish lands? Their garrison is bigger than the supply limit so I can't even siege.

Massive stack, assault that poo poo, and run.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Ofaloaf posted:

Can religions be renamed in-game like France starting off as West Francia?

Not manually, but East and West Francia will automatically change names if ruled by a non-Karling.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
This game... I see gavelkind work perfectly, unfortunately it's as my 45 year plan goes to hell. It started as I was choosing a bride for my young King of Frisia. I sorted by Stewardship to get an even bigger realm size bonus, and who's at the top of the list but the even younger Queen of England. I spend the next seven years helping her out against rebellions, and tagging over to her just to make sure the rebellion punishments are done right. We manage to get her personal holdings up to 8, with most dukes in her realm behind bars. And then we pop out twins.

Twin A is due to get all of England's stuff from Primogeniture, and Twin B is due to get almost all of Frisia due to Gavelkind. I'm actually ok with splitting the realm like this, since I can just do a bit of shuffling to give each of the twins a great start when they inherit. I go on a revoke/fabricate/vindictive imprisonment spree to put all of the counties in Frisia into the dynasty's hands, with Twin B getting the two northern duchies, and Twin A staying unlanded. Both get married to claimants to nearby kingdoms. So far, so good.

But I notice the branches on the family tree are staying thin. They have a younger brother who dies early. Twin A produces just one daughter, Twin B produces a set of male twins. When they're forty, my wife dies. Then two years later, Twin A dies. Twenty days later, Twin B dies. The extent of my line is my elderly king, a granddaughter in England, Grand-Twin Ba in Holland, Grand-Twin Bb in Gelre (gavelkind did this exactly right, surprisingly), and four assorted cousins and bastards with titles no higher than Count. And all the grand-babies are, well, babies. Now to just give them as good an education as I can and hold onto life a bit longer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Can't take male concubines as a female pagan. Of course, in the event that I get a homosexual ruler I'm going to check if you can make concubines of their preferred sex. If you can, that goes into the "PFY little things in games" thread, and if not, someone is going to mod it and that'll go into the Awful Game Mods thread.

• Locked thread