Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

You could have Reiner giving Eren the news, cut to two/three lines of dialogue from the "main" conversation, then cut back to Eren's reaction. Or cut to the others after Reiner's first line, then just show Eren reacting incredulously in the background, even if we can't make out what he's saying.

To change the subject slightly, what do you all make of this screenshot?

I remember it being presented the same way in the manga. For some reason, the way the titans are juxtaposed reminds me a of mother and father. Possibly there's some theme I'm failing to detect here.

They look like stereotypical ignorant tourists staring at some sort of zoo animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe
Manga spoilers I guess from the falling tower chapter

Take a look at what Bert's doing on the top right. How blatant can you get?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

sandpiper posted:

Manga spoilers I guess from the falling tower chapter

I might be dense but I'm not seeing it. What IS he doing?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Azzents posted:

I might be dense but I'm not seeing it. What IS he doing?

He's about to bite his thumb.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
"Haha, ok seriously gently caress this poo poo, time to kill everyone and leave."

Bert is the most hilarious character, retroactively.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It was probably more to save his own life since the tower was falling over.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Mighty Dicktron posted:

He's about to bite his thumb.

I spotted it right after I made the post. I love all the foreshadowing in this series.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Hodgepodge posted:

Christa gonna lead a revolution :dance:

Then get eaten because the titans don't sustain themselves with sunlight, they actually devour humanity's hopes and dreams.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Those spoilers suck for the anime watchers but a lot of people in this thread and on other forums started calling the Reiner and Bert thing as soon as Annie was revealed. It was hardly a surprise to a lot of us here and it shouldn't take away TOO much from the intrigue of the overarching plot. They're still gonna freak when Sasquatch and Annie show up. I think Annie's a much bigger and more shocking reveal anyhow, so hopefully no one screws that one up. After you know Eren isn't special, nothing else is a huge shock.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Those spoilers suck for the anime watchers but a lot of people in this thread and on other forums started calling the Reiner and Bert thing as soon as Annie was revealed. It was hardly a surprise to a lot of us here and it shouldn't take away TOO much from the intrigue of the overarching plot. They're still gonna freak when Sasquatch and Annie show up. I think Annie's a much bigger and more shocking reveal anyhow, so hopefully no one screws that one up. After you know Eren isn't special, nothing else is a huge shock.

Maybe for some, but that's not going to be consistent. I'm the reverse of you. I figured out Annie pretty much immediately, but was totally caught off guard by Reiner and Bert. I think what's unfortunately the most likely is that when Annie is revealed, a few people will remember this being spoiled and realize its true.

sandpiper posted:

I wonder if that's his desperation to survive the castle situation and not him actually being being afraid of Ymir being right in his face. Or an old anger from that guy she ate. Maybe both.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

onepixeljumpman posted:

Maybe for some, but that's not going to be consistent. I'm the reverse of you. I figured out Annie pretty much immediately, but was totally caught off guard by Reiner and Bert. I think what's unfortunately the most likely is that when Annie is revealed, a few people will remember this being spoiled and realize its true.

I wonder if that's his desperation to survive the castle situation and not him actually being being afraid of Ymir being right in his face. Or an old anger from that guy she ate. Maybe both.

I'm interested. What was the moment when watching the anime did you go, "Dat Annie is totes a Eoten-an"?

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Annie is reaaally obvious if you're paying attention, the part where Armin tricks her into reacting to "that guy who was in a hurry to die" might be the most blatant clue in the story to date, after that you just need to noodle out which female trainee it is and that's not too difficult.

Awesome catch on Bert thinking about transforming on top of the tower, daaaamn. I guess that implies that all of the human titans can transform at night? I've been wondering what the rules are as far as that goes, the idea that some/all titans are inactive or very sluggish when it's dark has been a grey area.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cuchulain posted:

"Haha, ok seriously gently caress this poo poo, time to kill everyone and leave."

Bert is the most hilarious character, retroactively.

I still can't get over the fact that the Colossal Titan, the most recognizable Titan in the series and a meme in his own right, is Bertholdt. Bertholdt.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Mio Bison posted:

Awesome catch on Bert thinking about transforming on top of the tower, daaaamn. I guess that implies that all of the human titans can transform at night? I've been wondering what the rules are as far as that goes, the idea that some/all titans are inactive or very sluggish when it's dark has been a grey area.

Ymir transformed after the sun rose, so no it seems that they can't transform at nighttime (at least as far as we know).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JosephWongKS posted:

I still can't get over the fact that the Colossal Titan, the most recognizable Titan in the series and a meme in his own right, is Bertholdt. Bertholdt.

Bertholdt seems a lot more hardcore than Reiner. His quip about Reiner not being a warrior anymore is basically calling him soft since he began to sympathize with the wall humans.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

You could have Reiner giving Eren the news, cut to two/three lines of dialogue from the "main" conversation, then cut back to Eren's reaction. Or cut to the others after Reiner's first line, then just show Eren reacting incredulously in the background, even if we can't make out what he's saying.

I remember it being presented the same way in the manga. For some reason, the way the titans are juxtaposed reminds me a of mother and father. Possibly there's some theme I'm failing to detect here.

It looks kind of like a mom and dad who live in a house with the creepiest lighting looking at their baby from the baby's point of view.

RatHat posted:

Bertholdt seems a lot more hardcore than Reiner. His quip about Reiner not being a warrior anymore is basically calling him soft since he began to sympathize with the wall humans.

Other than Eren, does Bertholdt ever actually interact with anyone other then Reiner?

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Gyges posted:

Other than Eren, does Bertholdt ever actually interact with anyone other then Reiner?

I think there's a few scenes where he answer a question people ask him, but I can't remember a single instance with him doing anything else that didn't also involve Reiner.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So there's the bit where Bertholt asks Eren why he's opposing the Titans when he's seen their horror firsthand. In their first meeting.

That is the only thing I remember Bertholt ever saying to anyone but Reiner. Ever. I think I'll start keeping a line count in the anime. Last episode he said, "Sahsa and Connie!" and that's it. Though he was in a ton of scenes, just standing there. It... actually makes a lot of sense, considering who he is and what he's done. Reiner is honestly the weird one.

I think Bert's probably going to get a lot more characterization once he's free to be open about who he is. I mean, he is the most iconic villain in the whole manga. If we only learn who he really is now, it'll still have an impact knowing he's been there the whole time.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

cross-post from Dota thread

Okay so I honestly cannot tell what these dudes even want Eren and Ymir for. Like seriously. They're strong enough to smash their way through all the walls and kill all these normal people that they seem to hate; all Eren can do is punch things, and Ymir ate their mother or something.

Schwarzwald posted:

The translation that's in stores calls it Attack on Titan.

I liked this print-internet comic title experience better when it was "Advance of the Giants."

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Okay so I honestly cannot tell what these dudes even want Eren and Ymir for. Like seriously. They're strong enough to smash their way through all the walls and kill all these normal people that they seem to hate; all Eren can do is punch things, and Ymir ate their mother or something.

Reiner and Bertholdt come from Titan Village A.

Ymir comes from Titan Village B.

Eren comes from Totally Not A Titan Village Despite Having Titans For Walls Village C

It is entirely 100% possible that village A is unaware that villages B and C hold titans within them, and may not even be aware that village B even exists in the first place. By capturing the two of them, Reiner and Bertholdt can return to their village and say "Hey, maybe we should stop murdering them? There's something more to this that we don't understand. They're titan-people, just like us."

Remember, this entire thing started because Reiner asked Eren to come back with him, peacefully, to his village. His purpose is foggy, but it's clear that he at least wants to show Eren to his village and the only reason I can see for him to do that is because Eren being a titan is a surprise and a big deal.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
That is a pretty reasonable idea and would make sense considering their actions and Bert's comment about Reiner. I am very seriously wondering how this will all tie in to Eren's basement and that sasquatch dude who appears to be able to turn people into straight-up "normal" titans. That guy is cool as heck and is pretty much now the real Big Mystery.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

EVIR Gibson posted:

I'm interested. What was the moment when watching the anime did you go, "Dat Annie is totes a Eoten-an"?

Saying I figured it out immediately was a little more disingenuous than I meant to be. My thought process was basically, "That titan has that thin skin, muscle look that Eren's titan form has. It's probably a human titan." Then the big fight with Eren Titan in the woods where she's using the very distinct redirection of force CQC stuff, and because that fight came reasonably soon after the chapter were so much emphasis was put on her hand to hand skills, so I just put the two ideas together and figured that if it was someone we knew, it was probably Annie. It helps that I didn't start reading until the fight between Eren and Reiner started, so events that went by in months when this would have ran went by much closer together when I read it.

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Ymir ate their mother or something.

That sounds like a pretty good reason to get Ymir to me. That might have actually been all Berthold anyway. Reiner's and his escape was very sudden and seemed to really catch Bert off guard. He might have figured that if he didn't take Ymir with them now, he might not ever get the chance to ask her was that whole eating their friend thing was about.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Vincent Valentine posted:

Remember, this entire thing started because Reiner asked Eren to come back with him, peacefully, to his village. His purpose is foggy, but it's clear that he at least wants to show Eren to his village and the only reason I can see for him to do that is because Eren being a titan is a surprise and a big deal.

The whole thing, in fact, started when Eren revealed himself as a titan during the attack on Trost. Bert and Reiner were ready to do their usual thing, i.e. Bert kicks down the outer gate and Reiner headbutts through the inner one. They only stopped because, in the middle of it, Eren goes titan. How do we know that's the reason they changed plans, and not, say, the mere distraction of the Eren reveal, or reaching the basement? because immediately after Trost, their new plan is to kidnap Eren, actually sabotaging the military's plan to reach the basement in Shiganshina. Maybe they're interested in the basement too, but taking Eren alive is their new number one priority. Then they take Ymir too, and it's clear they're extremely interested in showing someone that other human-titans exist, so much that this overrides their stated mission to exterminate humankind

Things we still aren't sure they know about : the wall titans; the secret in the basement; where the hairy titan comes from

Things they probably know: what the hairy titan does, and probably even how; Reiner seemed horrified but not surprised by the transformation of Connie's mother, and by the appearance of Mr. Hairy around castle Utgard

Am I missing anything?

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 5, 2013

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JosephWongKS posted:

It's always the person you least expect.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schwarzwald posted:

Bertholdt is literally the most unremarkable of the top 10 trainees. He's had less speaking lines so far than Marco, who died all the way back in Chapter 18.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 5, 2013

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

Armin is the wall giants. All of them.

Unless Schwarzwald is...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

Bertholdt is literally the most unremarkable of the top 10 trainees. He's had less speaking lines so far than Marco, who died all the way back in Chapter 18.

After your post prompted me to look back at that chapter (I remembered Marco died, but after watching the anime episodes and realizing he survived the Battle of Trost I forgot when), I noticed that page 24 has Annie looking at a dead soldier and saying "I'm sorry" while looking shocked. This seems kinda strange, since she seems to have no qualms with slaughtering folks as a titan.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
I don't know, she seemed pretty well established as someone that doesn't relish what she's doing, but is otherwise implacable.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

After your post prompted me to look back at that chapter (I remembered Marco died, but after watching the anime episodes and realizing he survived the Battle of Trost I forgot when), I noticed that page 24 has Annie looking at a dead soldier and saying "I'm sorry" while looking shocked. This seems kinda strange, since she seems to have no qualms with slaughtering folks as a titan.

Well Eren has shown that they don't really think strait in titan-form. Though the others probably have much more control over it. It' possible she was either on some sort of titan serum high or just as likely she was trying to reinforce her whole "I'm a bad person" act. Annie's way of dealing with all of the terrible stuff she does is by reminding herself that she's some unredeemable monster who's unworthy of being saved, but there's a few scenes that seem to imply that it probably is just an act.

I guess we'll be able to infer more about her, and if there's any truth to what I'm suggesting, when Bert and Ernie start talking.

Edit: or what Cthulhuchan said.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Eh, saying that she's "pretty well established as someone that doesn't relish what she's doing" seems like an exaggeration. While she's apparently not a fan of collateral damage, she calmly killed a guy by spinning him like a toy. She wasn't in some kind of berserker rage and the look she gave him before showed that she knew exactly what she was doing. It went well beyond the kind of "see a thing, smash a thing" thinking that Eren exhibited.

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet
Shingeki no Spirit Animals

Shame the anime thread can't see due to Bert:Llama, and excluding him might rouse suspicions too. :tinfoil:

I don't know why but Hanji:Shoebill Stork works SO WELL. I guess an abnormal bird fits for an abnormal person.

Edit: Sasha and Connie's Super Training Regiment

Soks fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 5, 2013

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Reiner penguin is the freaking best. :allears:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

If you want to read that the previous generation has economically decimated the world and continue to cannibalize their children's future due only to an insatiable greed and not any real need I don't think you'd be wrong.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Soks posted:

Shingeki no Spirit Animals

Shame the anime thread can't see due to Bert:Llama, and excluding him might rouse suspicions too. :tinfoil:

I don't know why but Hanji:Shoebill Stork works SO WELL. I guess an abnormal bird fits for an abnormal person.

Edit: Sasha and Connie's Super Training Regiment

Pretty sure Eren's chick turning into a rooster when he goes titan is the best thing ever.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

chami posted:

Reiner penguin is the freaking best. :allears:

No, Eren's chick and Jean's gerbil are the best. Cuddle time. :3:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Eiba posted:

I think Bert's probably going to get a lot more characterization once he's free to be open about who he is. I mean, he is the most iconic villain in the whole manga. If we only learn who he really is now, it'll still have an impact knowing he's been there the whole time.

I'm thinking. Based on what Bert said to Reinold and such that maybe the second wall and the kicking thereof was alltogether Berts idea and that Reiner wasn't even onboard for it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Also Eren's expression when it's reveled that his animal is a chick is fantastic.

And then the chick and the hamster have a sumo match. That's mathematically the best.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Interesting tidbit about Hanji!

In this blog post by Isayama, someone asks him to specify Hanji's gender, which apparently has been a point of contention among the Japanese fanbase. His response:

Isayama posted:

この質問を受けてそのキャラの性別は明言しない方がよさそうだと確信ましたw
Getting this question, I firmly believe that it's best to not specify either gender lol

Avoiding a future gender-related plot twist? Isayama's nod to gender role fluidity? Authorial trolling? Who the hell knows.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah, he's just having fun with it. In the most recent chapter, notice that Isayama deliberately hides Hanji's chest with a speech bubble in the only scene where she doesn't have her jacket on. And Hanji's voice actress is Paku Romi, who's known for doing dudes and chose a fairly androgynous voice for the character..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I always thought Hanji was a woman, I guess it's just one of those weird differences that pop up when one language makes far more use of non-gender specific pronouns.

I mean, she's no Nagisa, that's for sure.