Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Pirates! Doom actually uses some Outlaws sprites and assets, so they're understandably quite similar :P

I've given up trying to get Outlaws to work on Windows 7 though. Even though its not the most AMAZING game ever, my nostalgia for it is so high that i'm planning on digging out my ten year old desktop computer this weekend to play Outlaws again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

Pirates! Doom actually uses some Outlaws sprites and assets, so they're understandably quite similar :P

I've given up trying to get Outlaws to work on Windows 7 though. Even though its not the most AMAZING game ever, my nostalgia for it is so high that i'm planning on digging out my ten year old desktop computer this weekend to play Outlaws again.

I got it working eventually using nGlide and the 3dfx patch. Although it did involve using a virtual machine to actually install the patches.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Convex posted:

I got it working eventually using nGlide and the 3dfx patch. Although it did involve using a virtual machine to actually install the patches.

I'm planning on waiting for the XL Engine to be made before mucking around with Outlaws on modern PCs.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

My end progress after patches and fan made installations was perilously close to working - all of the added missions and the first half of the single player campaign played perfectly. But I couldn't get past the "unable to load level" for the levels on disk two, so I think the easier solution is just to dust off the old PC and enjoy it that way.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

I feel like a child for needing to ask this, but what is Glide? I was literally in elementary school Daycare when the Voodoo 2 was a thing.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

xanthan posted:

I feel like a child for needing to ask this, but what is Glide? I was literally in elementary school Daycare when the Voodoo 2 was a thing.
A (dead) 3D graphics API, like Direct3D or OpenGL.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Gashroom posted:

A (dead) 3D graphics API, like Direct3D or OpenGL.

Was it any good but just underutilized or did it die off because it was bad?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

xanthan posted:

Was it any good but just underutilized or did it die off because it was bad?

Glide was based on OpenGL, but OpenGL got better than it eventually. Also Glide only worked directly on 3DFX brand cards.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Glide was amazing and I will not hear otherwise :colbert:

Yeah, it was based on OpenGL, but the point of it was that it was optimized specifically for 3Dfx cards which amounted to pretty monstrous performance increases in some cases.* If your game supported Glide and you had a 3Dfx card then you would be nuts to run the game on any other API.

It died for two reasons. 3Dfx went under, for starters, but non-3Dfx cards (as well as OpenGL, as Install Gentoo said) eventually got good enough to make it kind of pointless anyway.

* EDIT: It also catered specifically to gaming, whereas Direct3D and OGL were more catch-all APIs for a number of 3D applications.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 5, 2013

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Played through the DNF 2013 mod. Definitely the best Duke 3D mod I've ever played, it was actually put together better than Caribbean Vacation or Duke it out in DC.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

I've uploaded a fixed up version to my Dropbox - drop your email address here if you're interested and I'll send you the details.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hey Convex, you can reach me at K1049305@kingston.ac.uk Knew that student email would come in handy some time...

Also, anyone check out that new Deus Ex mod? I'm having fun playing Half Life 1 for the first time in eons (and the first time on the PC), and will be digging through all the expansions and mods for quite some time. But after that... Deus Ex will probably be reinstalled :)

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Convex posted:

I've uploaded a fixed up version to my Dropbox - drop your email address here if you're interested and I'll send you the details.

Would you mind sharing it with me as well? You can reach me at:

weareyeti @ gmail.com

(I think I still have a windows machine ready to go)

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Convex posted:

I've never played Outlaws so I'm pretty interested. Pretty please!

Edit: Maybe I should put my email in there huh Echelon5@msn.com

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Convex posted:

Thanks for the link! I'm getting the attached error, though

VVVVVVVVVVVV And that's probably why!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
OK, here's the file. Password is "entryway". Just unzip over your installed copy (overwrite any files) and run start.bat to run the game. The batch file is to avoid the weird rainbow effect that turns up on Windows 7 - for some reason killing explorer.exe seems to fix it.

If you can't install the game from the CD, there's an x64 compatible setup.exe attached to a post about halfway down this page.

To use the 3dFX version you'll need to install nGlide (http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide) and configure to your liking. Personally I quite like it as it allows you to apply 16x AF, MSAA etc. You can try running the software version of Outlaws but I found it had weird incompatibilities with my sound drivers.

Please note that this isn't a :filez: version - it's just a zip of updated files to get the game running on Win 7. It won't run at all unless you unzip it over a copy of the game installed from the original CDs.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Commander Keenan posted:

Thanks for the link! I'm getting the attached error, though

VVVVVVVVVVVV And that's probably why!

I think this is because you're using DirectDraw rendering. Try installing nGlide (nGlide100_setup.exe in the main directory) and setting your render device to "3Dfx Glide 2.3".

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Hey goons, would you mind checking out two of the maps I've made (first timer) for Doom.

I've tested in PRboom but it should work in any boom compatible port like Gzdoom and so on. The focus so far has been on theme and variety, mainly in attempts to get my own mapping skills improving. The final wad will have 6 maps covering 3 distinct themes. Dark Industrial, 'Hell weirdness', and large, grand high monster count maps with different game-play in each. I'd appreciate any feedback for the first two maps I've made, just to see how progress is going and any nudges in the right direction I'd need to take to make the finished product a little better.

You will need to warp to maps 01 (Iron Within) and 27 (gallery of flesh). Both are from 2 seperate themes in the wad. Here is the download link and some screenshots.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7j8iroa96z6arva/k-e-z.rar

For map 01 'Iron within'
http://i.imgur.com/RfxXaRU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Aw2n53l.jpg

For Map 27 (03 in the wad) 'Gallery of flesh.
http://i.imgur.com/6bCA5G0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aFC2kiS.jpg

maev fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 6, 2013

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
meav, I'd love to give the maps a spin, but you're download-link doesn't seem to be working.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

You copy/pasted this post from another forum, or something? The "..." used by forum software to shorten the display of long URLs is present in the link too. So the link is useless.

And the other forum is obviously Doomworld.
mediafire.com/download/7j8iroa96z6arva/k-e-z.rar

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 6, 2013

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Thanks for the re-link Cat Mattress, if a little passive aggressive. I've edited the original post.
Naturally if I'm making maps for Doomers I'll post it in Doom communities, my bad for the apprehensive bad linking.

maev fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 6, 2013

koren
Sep 7, 2003

maev posted:

Hey goons, would you mind checking out two of the maps I've made (first timer) for Doom.
The first map is very dull. Lots of wide open spaces with few enemies and long winding connecting corridors. Backtracking with the red key felt like a chore. The secret path that lead to some health kits and two chaingunners was bizarre and unnecessary. The circular pit & lava around the red door walkways don't have teleporters out and also don't do any damage to the player.

Map27 is a bit more interesting. The imp/vile room was enjoyable but the hanging corpses block player movement when using a port like prboom. The red key area is far too large considering how little resistance you face there. It's also very safe because the only enemy that can chase you down are the cacodemons. Again, you can fall in the gaps between floor sections and there's no way out/damaging sectors. The staircase at the end is a nice idea but again, it's very depopulated. The demons at the top don't swarm you until you come into line of sight and the four cacodemons at the either side don't wake up at all unless you drop down.

The general problem with your mapping is scale. The arenas you have built have the grandiose architectural designs you see in slaughtermaps like sunder and gothic new movement but they're devoid of any sort of meaningful encounters. You could scale down each arena to a third of the size and they'd still probably be too large. If you want to build open arenas like that you need a way of keeping the pressure on the player through immediate monster density or a steady dripfeed of teleporting enemies.

Keep it up, they're not bad maps for a first attempt.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Cheers for the feedback! Both maps are necessarily mish-mashes of my own mapping at different stages and various attempts to do different things. I had reached the point where I really felt I needed some outside perspective to help transition a little and make maps for the 'players' rather than just for myself or for exploration of my own mapping abilities.

I really enjoy scale as part of design, obviously it draws inspiration from wads like Sunder but I was a little hesitant to fill them up with tons of monsters just yet for fear of both driving off the first people who might be testing them and also because I wasn't sure if I wanted a map so early in the wad to be so full of monsters. Maps 05 and 06 are planned to be slaughter style with huge obsidian temples so perhaps I should get on with those to get it out of my system first.

Any other perspectives (including positive ones, don't hold back!) are welcome, I'm hoping the final set will be ready in the next two months at most.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I made the mistake of playing Return of the Triad before the original. Now I will never be able to play the original game without getting frustrated at the controls and less-interesting levels :argh:

Also Return of the Triad is great. It's short, but the levels are pretty huge and not in that frustrating way like some levels in Alien Vendetta or Scythe 2. Play it!

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

maev posted:

I really enjoy scale as part of design, obviously it draws inspiration from wads like Sunder but I was a little hesitant to fill them up with tons of monsters just yet for fear of both driving off the first people who might be testing them and also because I wasn't sure if I wanted a map so early in the wad to be so full of monsters. Maps 05 and 06 are planned to be slaughter style with huge obsidian temples so perhaps I should get on with those to get it out of my system first.

You can imply scale in your environments while still having relatively simple play areas. Deus Vult 2 MAP01 is a textbook example of this. Structurally it's little more a couple of long corridors and small techbase areas, the fights are simple and attention-grabbing. But it's still a very pretty and "large-feeling" map - you can see a ship off in the distance, you're going up what feels like a big foresty cliff face, screaming down these roads mowing down zombiemen.

Lunatic.wad kind of does a sort of similar thing but that might just be the initial "whoa I'm on the moon" effect more than anything, and that map01 is really quite complex.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Quick request - could anyone repost the wad that forces pistol starts for Doom maps? Trying to play through all the original levels of Doom 1 and 2 with it. Thanks!

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Evan Montegarde posted:

Quick request - could anyone repost the wad that forces pistol starts for Doom maps? Trying to play through all the original levels of Doom 1 and 2 with it. Thanks!

Here you go: https://bitbucket.org/SavageMessiah/pistolstart/downloads/pistolstart.wad

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Speaking of Outlaws, does anybody know where I can get it?

I lost my original copy years ago when I lent it to somebody(who moved away with it, my blood, and my duke 3d cds), and I don't really have enough trust to fork over 15-20 bucks for a used copy on amazon/ebay; and was just wondering if there were any alternatives for this other then :filez:

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

It's obviously no longer in production and it's not on any of the digital services either, so no. Used copies are your only choice I believe.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
If you want to keep track of events on my Doom/Sven Co-op/Quake 3 server, join this Steam group. Planning to schedule some games soon.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You can vote for it on GOG's wishlist; but it'll be a while until it reaches the miracle-working number that released System Shock 2 from Lawyer Hell (35K votes).

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Hey The Kins, the links to CPMA and defrag in your mod list are dead. Here's a nifty installer that includes CPMA, defrag, the CNQ3 (CPMA) and dfengine (defrag) source ports and most of the popular maps: http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Quake3.Detail&id=2365

The Quake 3 server that Commander Keenan's hosting is currently running CPMA. CPMA is basically a combination of Q3's gameplay with QuakeWorld's pace.

-Armor system completely revamped to be more like QW (green blocks 50% of damage and you get 50 per pickup to a maximum of 100, yellow 66% 100 pickup 150 max, red 75% 150 pickup 200 max)
-Megahealth spawns 20 seconds after the person who last picked it up goes back down to 100 health.
-You have greatly increased air control, which means you can strafejump around corners without losing much speed.
-Weapons have been rebalanced to buff projectiles and nerf hitscan.
-Weapon switch time is instant.

In addition to the standard deathmatch, CTF, clan arena and freeze tag, CPMA also has some new modes. Mainly Capture Strike and Not Team Fortress.

Capture Strike (CTFS) is Clan Arena meets CTF. Teams take turns attacking the flag with 1 life per round. Attackers win 3 points by capturing, 1 point for touching the flag and 2 points for killing everyone on the other team. Defenders don't earn points.

Not Team Fortress (NTF) is class-based CTF. Your health regenerates up to 100 and your armor regenerates up to your class maximum. There are four classes that differ in their weapon set, max armor and movement speed. It has powerups, ammo pickups and the mega but no regular health, armor or weapon pickups. Players drop backpacks when they die which give you 20 armor and ammo for all your guns.

If you don't like the CPMA gameplay changes, it's easy call a vote to change the core gameplay to vanilla Quake 3. The only mode that doesn't really work with vanilla is NTF.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 9, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bloodmobile posted:

Hey The Kins, the links to CPMA and defrag in your mod list are dead. Here's a nifty installer that includes CPMA, defrag, the CNQ3 (CPMA) and dfengine (defrag) source ports and most of the popular maps: http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Quake3.Detail&id=2365
Fixed, cheers!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sorry for the double post, but ZDoom and GZDoom have been given an official non-SVN update for the first time in, like, a year! This version adds support for BFG Edition's WADs and all sorts of new little toys and fixes for modders, various bugfixes, and other neat little things.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thank God they finally added a cvar to cap FPS :)

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

In hardk0re tourney pr0 player news, Quakecon this year is going to be hosting a Doom 2 tournament.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/64490-doom-2-tournament-at-quakecon/

Note that reading beyond the OP is not encouraged.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

TerminusEst13 posted:

In hardk0re tourney pr0 player news, Quakecon this year is going to be hosting a Doom 2 tournament.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/64490-doom-2-tournament-at-quakecon/

Note that reading beyond the OP is not encouraged.

I really hope they go for Zandronum CTF, the drama explosion in the Doom community would be hilarious.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Convex posted:

Thank God they finally added a cvar to cap FPS :)

Holy poo poo finally. Vsync fucks up mouse movement and letting it run at 800 FPS causes all sorts of weird warping beyond the normal screen tearing.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
So the Deus Ex Nihilum mod has some pretty god-awful voice acting and writing. I'm obviously not expecting amazing examples of such things from an amateur project, but it's beyond off putting. Has anyone played enough to know whether it picks up when the shooty bangs begin as I end up just exiting and playing regular DE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rather Dashing posted:

So the Deus Ex Nihilum mod has some pretty god-awful voice acting and writing. I'm obviously not expecting amazing examples of such things from an amateur project, but it's beyond off putting. Has anyone played enough to know whether it picks up when the shooty bangs begin as I end up just exiting and playing regular DE.

They'd have to seriously go out of their way to top the magnificent acting in the original game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k

Anywhere close?