Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don't countries like Korea do an hourly subscription as well, which causes the excessive grind to further benefit them? I remember when Aion launched here the login queues were bad and so people just setup AFK shops while they worked/slept since it wouldn't AFK-boot them then and which made the login queues that much more terrible.

I wanted to try FF14's reboot until I found out that the Magitek Armor shown in a video was an enemy and that you can't use the suits. Don't toy with my heart, Square. :cry:

You can ride around on one as a mount though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

In general any character can be any class because the stat boosts from gear and licenses more then make up for any minor stat differences that exist.

This is true. Any character can reach 99 in their job's primary stat, with one exception. The only exception to this is Samurai, where Ashe is the only character who can reach 99 in both Strength and Magic.

If you really want to min-max, it's technically best to play characters against their base stats. For instance White Mage can use greatswords later on, so Basch would do more damage in melee than Penelo would. In practice this doesn't matter so much, because either of them should be spamming Holy if they want to deal damage.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Miracon posted:

This is true. Any character can reach 99 in their job's primary stat, with one exception. The only exception to this is Samurai, where Ashe is the only character who can reach 99 in both Strength and Magic.

If you really want to min-max, it's technically best to play characters against their base stats. For instance White Mage can use greatswords later on, so Basch would do more damage in melee than Penelo would. In practice this doesn't matter so much, because either of them should be spamming Holy if they want to deal damage.

However, it's not a bad idea to make Ashe or Vaan (or even Penelo) an Uhlan if you're otherwise lacking in magical offense. Uhlans get some mid-level Black Magick, but very little magick-boosting gear. The spells are decent on characters with a high natural magick, but will not be useful late-game on characters with lower magick scores.

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

Anybody have any tips for Final Fantasy Dimensions? My warriors of darkness seem worthless compared to my light characters, I feel random battles take forever in the ninja chapter. Any suggested setups? I have been using a cookie cutter setup with warrior, white/red, summoner/black and ranger/monk. Am I missing out on Dark Knight?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

DaddyBigBucks posted:

Anybody have any tips for Final Fantasy Dimensions? My warriors of darkness seem worthless compared to my light characters, I feel random battles take forever in the ninja chapter. Any suggested setups? I have been using a cookie cutter setup with warrior, white/red, summoner/black and ranger/monk. Am I missing out on Dark Knight?

If I remember right Dark Knight has the highest Strength in the game, and you also get a pretty good ability set (Onyx Wave is a good crowd-clearer move if you have a White Mage around, and Last Resort turns your guy into a walking death machine). It also gets you Backliner which is essential for keeping any Ninja you want to have alive.

By that time I went with Dark Knight Nacht, Monk Glaive, White Mage Diana and Black Mage Alba. Get all four party members L6 Ranger for Recover and your mages can spam multitarget spells all day with relative impunity, since you're getting 4% of your MP back every battle. Makes random encounters much easier to deal with, and faster since you can just Auto through them.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, Last Resort is one of the best abilities in the game. Couple it with Haste and as a Ninja, you can get like 5-6 turns to a non-ninja's one.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Apparently the updated FF:Tactics on iOS fixed the slowdown, increased the resolution on the graphics, added cloud saving, and added customizable touch controls, AND it's on sale right now?

Too bad I already lost my endgame save before they added cloud saves.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The more I play FF7 the more I'm surprised by the sheer amount of content and narrative strangeness. I just finished up the whole "Cloud in a wheelchair" section and I have a question: is there any point in the game where I am locked out of side-content? Because I feel like there is a bunch of stuff I've already missed or may be able to find and I hope none of it gets put behind a barrier at some story twist or something.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Great Lakes Log posted:

The more I play FF7 the more I'm surprised by the sheer amount of content and narrative strangeness. I just finished up the whole "Cloud in a wheelchair" section and I have a question: is there any point in the game where I am locked out of side-content? Because I feel like there is a bunch of stuff I've already missed or may be able to find and I hope none of it gets put behind a barrier at some story twist or something.

The Wutai sidequest gets locked off once you hit Disc 3, but the Pagoda can be done anytime as long as you've finished the Turks portion. Fort Condor stuff obviously have specific timeframes to do them and you're past that already. That's pretty much it, I think.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Apparently the updated FF:Tactics on iOS fixed the slowdown, increased the resolution on the graphics, added cloud saving, and added customizable touch controls, AND it's on sale right now?

Too bad I already lost my endgame save before they added cloud saves.

That will be so awesome when we get it on Android in 2017.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

I really need to play Tactics, the only one of that series I've played is A2 and I really did enjoy it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Last Emperor posted:

I really need to play Tactics, the only one of that series I've played is A2 and I really did enjoy it.

If you have a PSP I recommend getting it for that. There is a patch you can install to fix the slowdown. I haven't tried the iOS version, but I prefer physical buttons for my gaming (for 40+ hour games that is).

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Kyrosiris posted:

That will be so awesome when we get it on Android in 2017.

It's kinda funny when you think about it, since Android was supposed to get the updated version first and at a later date they'd release the iOS version. :eng99:

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Ragequit posted:

If you have a PSP I recommend getting it for that. There is a patch you can install to fix the slowdown. I haven't tried the iOS version, but I prefer physical buttons for my gaming (for 40+ hour games that is).

Yeah I had heard of that, unfortunately the only PSP I have is my brothers old first generation one.

Thought about getting a Vita but I'm not sure that it's an investment I want to make yet.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
The 1st gen psp would be a better choice than the vita for it anyway since you need to be running custom firmware to use the no slowdown patch, which is easy to achieve on psp but still not possible on vita to my knowledge.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don't countries like Korea do an hourly subscription as well, which causes the excessive grind to further benefit them? I remember when Aion launched here the login queues were bad and so people just setup AFK shops while they worked/slept since it wouldn't AFK-boot them then and which made the login queues that much more terrible.

I wanted to try FF14's reboot until I found out that the Magitek Armor shown in a video was an enemy and that you can't use the suits. Don't toy with my heart, Square. :cry:

We don't know how it will be acquired yet, but they have shown a video of the magitek armor being used as a mount already. At some point in the past year they confirmed it and said it would be "difficult" to get. The NDA is almost lifted on the ARR beta, so there will be a ton of new information on the world, combat, everything soon.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Snow's in Lightning Returns

drat, lookit dat hair.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Looks like he's been taking hair-style tips from Marluxia.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Put a beanie on him and he could pass for Shinji from Persona 3.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So basically we might actually get Time Cop Snow? With he and Light being buddy cops?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh man, is he evil now because his wife is dead? C'mon, be evil Snow, I want to hear Troy Baker doing an angsty guy voice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Oh man, is he evil now because his wife is dead? C'mon, be evil Snow, I want to hear Troy Baker doing an angsty guy voice.
Go play Sengoku Basara then, Ishida's angsty as hell in those games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Go play Sengoku Basara then, Ishida's angsty as hell in those games.

Is he Daisuke Ono too? Because then my life will be complete. :allears:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Is he Daisuke Ono too? Because then my life will be complete. :allears:
Sadly no, Ishida's original VA is Tomokazu Seki.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Artix posted:

So basically we might actually get Time Cop Snow? With he and Light being buddy cops?

No, the other time cop has to be Sazh. Has to be. Like he is literally the archetypal buddy cop. He's effectively 2 days from retirement, too old for this poo poo, is a divorced or a widower, and has a kid.

Evil Snow could be interesting. Not well written, because this is FF after all, but at least interesting. And hopefully in the few remaining months before release they will manage to make Lightning's default outfit look less stupid, or at least give everybody her 13-1 clothes for free right off the bat.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 5, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Griever posted:

The 1st gen psp would be a better choice than the vita for it anyway since you need to be running custom firmware to use the no slowdown patch, which is easy to achieve on psp but still not possible on vita to my knowledge.

The recent iOS patch seems to have a slowdown fix in it and once you get used to the controls it plays fine on the touchscreen. If you have an iPad (or even an iPhone) it's good. I put about 45 hours in to FFT on the iPhone.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

The Wutai sidequest gets locked off once you hit Disc 3, but the Pagoda can be done anytime as long as you've finished the Turks portion. Fort Condor stuff obviously have specific timeframes to do them and you're past that already. That's pretty much it, I think.

Cool, thanks. I always love the first time you get free reign over the world with an airship, since there are so many places I see that I wanna do.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw5aFX0mlkY
E3 trailer for Lightning Returns - release date is 11th Feb 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'd be disappointed that the game is coming out later in Europe, but I'm not going to be picking it up until it's £20 or less anyway.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
disregard

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 6, 2013

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

Here's some more details about Lighting Returns including the battle system and Hope, Lumina, and Snow's roles in the game.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/0...28Siliconera%29

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Griever posted:

"You gonna try to kill me? Huh?"

Oh Baker. :allears: Nice axe, too. Should have used that in the first game.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Loving that light-up Cactuar decoration. Also, evil Snow? Creepy (not?) Serah? I'm interested.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Griever posted:

I honestly don't know whether this genre has changed, or it's just me that has grown up to not liking it anymore. The dialog has always been terrible in Final Fantasy games, but this feels like they're almost trying their absolute hardest to be as corny as possible.

She has the most expressionless, monotone, and simply plain face I think I've ever seen on a video game character, and even with that I can picture in my mind the guy that wrote the dialog having the most :smug: face as he was writing it. Like, he thought it was the coolest thing ever, and the only thing that would make it better is if there was an awesome metal soundtrack in the background.

Someone tell me that it's all just nostalgia and that I'm misremembering the positive points of the older Final Fantasy series. Is it just the voice acting that now makes it more apparent? The fact that we can now see every pixel of the characters :geno: face as they deliver the noted terrible dialog? Or has the fundamental way Square makes JRPG games changed so much, that I can hardly recognize them as a Final Fantasy?

I'm trying to figure out why I just don't care about these announcements anymore. If it really is just straight up nostalgia, then that's fine. But if the games have shifted perspective to target a different audience, well, then I guess that's fine too. I just want to know which one it is.

The main reason I enjoyed the older games was because they felt like an adventure:

Final Fantasy VII - The introduction concludes on a broken highway where the heroes start the real journey. You leave Midgar and begin following a mysterious man. The journey leads you all around the world where you can see how the influence of the main antagonists(Shinra/Sephiroth) has effected each village and person around them.

Final Fantasy IX - What starts off as a simple kidnapping of a princess turns into a grand adventure for the characters involved. It takes them to all the continents where they slowly being to unravel the mysteries of the world they inhabit. The main antagonist is a power hungry queen that is paranoid after her husband died. She thinks that the other empires are against her and begins to listen to a mysterious weapons dealer as he promises her the power to crush her enemies.

This generation's Final Fantasy games just don't feel like you're going on a grand adventure. They feel like a cgi movie where the protagonist has no personality, but cool sunglasses.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

We're getting too old for this poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

I honestly don't know whether this genre has changed, or it's just me that has grown up to not liking it anymore. The dialog has always been terrible in Final Fantasy games, but this feels like they're almost trying their absolute hardest to be as corny as possible.

She has the most expressionless, monotone, and simply plain face I think I've ever seen on a video game character, and even with that I can picture in my mind the guy that wrote the dialog having the most :smug: face as he was writing it. Like, he thought it was the coolest thing ever, and the only thing that would make it better is if there was an awesome metal soundtrack in the background.

Someone tell me that it's all just nostalgia and that I'm misremembering the positive points of the older Final Fantasy series. Is it just the voice acting that now makes it more apparent? The fact that we can now see every pixel of the characters :geno: face as they deliver the noted terrible dialog? Or has the fundamental way Square makes JRPG games changed so much, that I can hardly recognize them as a Final Fantasy?

I'm trying to figure out why I just don't care about these announcements anymore. If it really is just straight up nostalgia, then that's fine. But if the games have shifted perspective to target a different audience, well, then I guess that's fine too. I just want to know which one it is.

The main reason I enjoyed the older games was because they felt like an adventure:

Final Fantasy VII - The introduction concludes on a broken highway where the heroes start the real journey. You leave Midgar and begin following a mysterious man. The journey leads you all around the world where you can see how the influence of the main antagonists(Shinra/Sephiroth) has effected each village and person around them.

Final Fantasy IX - What starts off as a simple kidnapping of a princess turns into a grand adventure for the characters involved. It takes them to all the continents where they slowly being to unravel the mysteries of the world they inhabit. The main antagonist is a power hungry queen that is paranoid after her husband died. She thinks that the other empires are against her and begins to listen to a mysterious weapons dealer as he promises her the power to crush her enemies.

This generation's Final Fantasy games just don't feel like you're going on a grand adventure. They feel like a cgi movie where the protagonist has no personality, but cool sunglasses.

A good portion of that probably is nostalgia in addition to voice acting kinda forcing a certain tone into your head. You're basing a trailer in comparison to the full game, when doing the same to older games would probably give you a similar experienc. (Well, maybe not, but that is due to how trailers have changed.) The way they make the games has inarguably changed and Toriyama isn't a great writer, but they're still going for an adventure feel. FFXIII basically mimics FF7's opening to a T in places for example. FFXIII-2 has you heroically travelling through time and going to different places. They're certainly going for a tone of grand adventure while simultaneously trying to mimic old grand adventures.

It doesn't help that Square-Enix still doesn't seem to have grasped "hire people who know how to direct voice acting." Maaya Sakamoto's performances are still significantly better and there's no good excuse for that. They have good voice actors on staff but they appear to be incapable of getting emotion out of them.

I do think people severely overestimate how :smug: the writers of this stuff are. Toriyama is a lovely-rear end writer but nothing he's done in interviews comes across as a guy who thinks he's a secret genius. He appears to believe his job is to make schlock and he embraces it wholeheartedly. The most energy he's shown in an interview was when discussing how he got to decide what type of panties Aya wore in the new Parasite Eve so that is basically the kind of guy he is. Frankly I'd rather a smug dude because at least he'd be loving trying instead of going "alright, let me toss some poo poo in there. :effort: Call me when I can put a female character in embarrassing clothing."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 6, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That one gag segment with Lightning and Snow's VAs joking over footage of the game proves that it's not the voice acting's fault. Like, even a single exchange like that in the actual game, at any point, would probably improve FF13 massively.

Voice acting can help a game seem more human and well-written, the voice director just needs to not be incompetent. Better writing would help, too, but even with mediocre writing giving the voice actors some room to breathe instead of chaining them to a performance from a different culture would probably lead to memorable line reading. Like, I've heard most of the FF133 VAs before. They can act.

Also, speaking of the writing - I think it has changed some. FF7, if you actually go back and play it, is one goofy-rear end game. There's a scene where you charge up nearly a hundred flights of stairs full of vim and vigor and by the end everyone in the party is whining their rear end off. There's a scene where Cloud gets a wig from a body builder by doing squats. There's a scene where Barret spends an entire boat trip vomiting off the side. Same with FF9 and even FF8. They were all willing to at least have fun with what they were doing, but I can't remember a single scene like that in FF13.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 6, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

That one gag segment with Lightning and Snow's VAs joking over footage of the game proves that it's not the voice acting's fault. Like, even a single exchange like that in the actual game, at any point, would probably improve FF13 massively.

Voice acting can help a game seem more human and well-written, the voice director just needs to not be incompetent. Better writing would help, too, but even with mediocre writing giving the voice actors some room to breathe instead of chaining them to a performance from a different culture would probably lead to memorable line reading.

Also, speaking of the writing - I think it has changed some. FF7, if you actually go back and play it, is one goofy-rear end game. There's a scene where you charge up nearly a hundred flights of stairs full of vim and vigor and by the end everyone in the party is whining their rear end off. There's a scene where Cloud gets a wig from a body builder by doing squats. There's a scene where Barret spends an entire boat trip vomiting off the side. Same with FF9 and even FF8. They were all willing to at least have fun with what they were doing, but I can't remember a single scene like that in FF13.

It isn't the voice acting fault, it's the voice acting director's fault for not letting those characters act.

You are right that the games have gotten somewhat more serious though, although that trend honestly has been around for a while and easier to ignore prior to voice acting and more realistic models. Even the silly stuff in the games feels different. FFXIII has this for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEvfMHUZVE8 Which is silly as hell, but seems a lot weirder with a hyper-realistic dude having wacky antics.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 6, 2013

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm actually kind of surprised at the 2014 release date. I figured SE would be fully concentrating on next-gen by then. Maybe I'm mis-remembering though about the end of last generation, and how long it took for companies to transition to 360 and PS3.

EDIT: XIII-2 had a couple amusing scenes if you picked the goofy dialogue choices for Serah. Also there was the whole sidequest about the Super Sentai Flan kids.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't the voice acting fault, it's the voice acting director's fault for not letting those characters act.
That was what I was saying?

EDIT: Also with that Giant Cactaur scene, I had admittedly forgotten about it, but it is worth noting that they keep everyone but Sazh out of the shot, and Sazh is basically the game's comic relief.