Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Or you can go to the rest station, then head the northern wall and head west, thus totally avoiding the drake. It's easiest if you go through the mines, though you will run into some ogres in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Lunimeow posted:

Whew... well I just finished my first run of BBI. That last boss music... didn't fit at all hahahaha. What was the deal with him calling her mother? Anyways I found it kind of weird that I found the condemned gorecyclops to be harder than the daimon but oh well.

I'm not sure if I should run through another playthrough or try post daimon, I was having some serious issues with the magic only enemys and i could hardly scratch death even with holy pact.

If you find all the tablet pieces and read them you can kinda figure out the story, though it's convoluted. Once you know it all the random snippets of dialogue throughout BBI and during the fight make a lot more sense.

Dark Arisen spoilers, obviously:
When the Arisen who is now Daimon (who I will refer to as Daimon from now on since I don't think he's ever named) was a child, his village was destroyed. An unnamed female Arisen and her pawn Olra save Daimon from the destruction of his town. Daimon having no family or friends left decides to follow the Arisen, who becomes a sort of adoptive mother. Daimon and Olra fall in love at some point.

Mother Arisen and Olra eventually go off to face the Dragon leaving Daimon behind. Mother Arisen fails, Olra returns alone to Daimon. Olra and Daimon set out to avenge Mother Arisen by slaying the Dragon. Daimon is chosen by the Dragon and becomes Arisen himself. When Daimon faces the Dragon, he realizes it's his adoptive mother who has now become the Dragon after failing in her quest. Daimon despairs realizing the whole system is pretty hosed up and instead of fighting the Dragon, he wishes for the power to end the cycle of Arisen and Dragon. The Dragon grants his wish by turning him into his demonic form. Daimon uses his powers to lure Arisen to BBI in order to kill them, hoping to disrupt the cycle.

The Olra the player meets is apparently yet another unrelated Arisen who is a lot like the pawn Olra, which allows the spirit of pawn Olra to possess her and act through her, bringing the player to BBI so the player can free Daimon from his curse. The corpses that talk when you first approach them in BBI are ghosts or echoes or whatever of random Arisen who have entered BBI and died. The entire dialogue during the first Daimon fight is the exchange that happened when Daimon met the Dragon and realized it was his "mother".

PrinnySquadron posted:

Where's the easiest for the "Scout the Shadow Fort" with Mercedes? I went to go through Devilfire Grove, but a Dragon ambushed me, killed Mercedes and then killed me.

Easiest is to just drop a Portcrystal at Shadow Fort. Second easiest is probably to open the Ancient Quarry shortcut if you haven't done so yet and use that.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 4, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PrinnySquadron posted:

Yeah, I meant route, sorry. Well, that sucks. I spotted it a little way off but it bought it up a quest thing so I tried in vain to fight it - i managed to stab it in the heart once.

What's your class?

Best way I found to take him down was letting him grab a pawn and while he's doing the whole I AM YOUR MASTER shtick, jump and grab onto him and wail on his heart so he falls over.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah no, if you stay on the road the Drake will be nowhere near you.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Alteisen posted:

What's your class?

Best way I found to take him down was letting him grab a pawn and while he's doing the whole I AM YOUR MASTER shtick, jump and grab onto him and wail on his heart so he falls over.

I'm playing a Strider(almost maxed out Vocation): my main Pawn is a Fighter, and i have another Strider and a Mage with me. I'll see if I can slip past him next time: I was attempting this when it was dark :v: (This did lead to an awesome fight with a bunch of hobgoblins though before the drake)

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

Vargs posted:

Fighter and Warrior have some really great augments (+10% strength, extending "very light" weight class by 20, 25% reduced weapon skill stamina costs, +20% strength), and while they don't quite have the strength/stamina gains of an assassin, their stat growths are still pretty good. I'd say it's worth maxing them out. They definitely are slower classes, but they're fun in their own way.

There are a couple items that can greatly speed up vocation ranks, but one of them is in the post-game, and while you can get the other immediately after the tutorial, doing it at lower levels kinda requires you to know exactly where you're going as you sprint past everything in early BBI.

Cheers, gone back to fighter (only two vocation points left to get on that one so might as well max it out, then give warrior a go)

It's fun going back to a class you haven't played as in a while, especially if you've been finding weapons and bits of armour that you couldn't use before throughout the game

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PrinnySquadron posted:

I'm playing a Strider(almost maxed out Vocation): my main Pawn is a Fighter, and i have another Strider and a Mage with me. I'll see if I can slip past him next time: I was attempting this when it was dark :v: (This did lead to an awesome fight with a bunch of hobgoblins though before the drake)

That's a great class for him actually since you wail on his heart with the scarlet/hundred kisses thing.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Alteisen posted:

That's a great class for him actually since you wail on his heart with the scarlet/hundred kisses thing.

My Strider pawn killed (or, well, obliterated half of his life and brought him down to 1 HP) the Dragon with that. It's pretty ridiculous.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ok guys, help me, help you.

What is the best support build I can go for my pawn, I go both magic proffesions maxed so augments aren't an issue, I'm concerned about spells, healing and status removal is a must but not sure on the rest, the weapon buff for example, is holy the best?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Alteisen posted:

Ok guys, help me, help you.

What is the best support build I can go for my pawn, I go both magic proffesions maxed so augments aren't an issue, I'm concerned about spells, healing and status removal is a must but not sure on the rest, the weapon buff for example, is holy the best?

BBI doesn't really have super-common weaknesses as much as the main game or everfall; fire and holy are still the ones you see most often, but thunder and ice have some niche uses that make them good. Thunder is good against prisoner cyclopes and elder ogres, the former of which is probably the strongest enemy in BBI playthrough 1, and ice is good against those motherfucking ultradrakes in BBI+ that can take 40 minutes to kill if your party isn't set up properly. Ice is worthless against all the undead in BBI though.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

doctor 7 posted:

I've never heard the Dragon's Dogma title music but the Dark Arisen title music is just loving terrible.

Oh. I'm so sorry :ohdear:
It was a crime to take this from us

Irony.or.Death posted:

Just sent you a request, in case this is still available; Creepies on PSN.

Nope, all yours! I'll send it along as soon as I get a chance.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
For both main game and BBI Fire/Ice/Thunder is probably the most useful. Holy overlaps a lot with Fire so it's really only useful if you know you're going to an undead heavy area(or fighting the Ur-dragon). Fire is useful for almost everything, Drakes being one of the only things that resist it. Ice is good for basically anything Fire isn't for main game, and extremely useful for BBI since Gorecyclops, Succubi, Saurians, Cursed dragons and Firedrakes are weak to it. Thunder is niche in the main game(really only Saurians(If they're drenched) and Cyclops) but crucial for BBI with Garm and Eliminators being weak to it.

Dark is basically useless since like 3 things are weak to it(The dragon, Direwolves and Saurian sages). Not sure if there's anything in BBI weak to it or not.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 5, 2013

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Terrible as the title music is in DA, it grew on me a tiny bit when I realised it was a reworked version of original DD's credit music, which is awesome (though the reworking is not).

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 5, 2013

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
How to get to forts the easy way like a busta

Follow the red line from Cassardis to get to the Shadow Fort. When you get past the bandit ambush after the canyon near the encampment you'll see a ridge with a forest to the right and the ruins to the left. Hug the ridge on the top side and you'll pass a ton of saurians and a chimera. You'll have to fight some goblins. Cut across and head to the camp. Rest, then go through the woods, hugging the wall to avoid most goblin packs. Easy!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How do I lower someone's affection for me?

I just noticed Valmiro has maxed affection for me and I haven't dealt with that rear end in a top hat since I rescued his retarded rear end, I do not want that dumb rear end as the one the dragon takes.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Alteisen posted:

I just noticed Valmiro has maxed affection for me and I haven't dealt with that rear end in a top hat since I rescued his retarded rear end, I do not want that dumb rear end as the one the dragon takes.

Run into them a bunch, attack them, or just unsheathe/sheathe your weapon a lot in front of them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Draw your weapon in front of him a few times so he freaks out, or do the right thing and just kill him.

ArmchairTitan
Aug 3, 2012
Anyone know of any other spawn points for Skeleton Brutes other than the Ward of Regret?

I'm trying to farm Gargantuan Skulls but the Ward of Regret has suddenly decided to only spawn ghosts the last 5 tries.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DA added an item that tanks NPC's affection too, Foul Effluvia or something like that.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Without too many spoilers how does this work (still early on in the game, I haven't met the Duke yet)?

I've heard about this plot element and was going to play it as it comes, but I already have a few NPCs with high affinity including Fournival's daughter Symone and Selene from Witchwood. If that scene plays as being the character the Arisen most cares about then fine, but if it's some romance thing then what the hell Capcom.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
The last person you talk to with max affinity becomes the beloved, if I'm not mistaken.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

CVagts posted:

The last person you talk to with max affinity becomes the beloved, if I'm not mistaken.

My own experiences contradict this. :iiam:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Trapezium Dave posted:

Without too many spoilers how does this work (still early on in the game, I haven't met the Duke yet)?

I've heard about this plot element and was going to play it as it comes, but I already have a few NPCs with high affinity including Fournival's daughter Symone and Selene from Witchwood. If that scene plays as being the character the Arisen most cares about then fine, but if it's some romance thing then what the hell Capcom.

Some minor spoilers but here you go.

Before you fight the dragon that took your heart, your "beloved" will show up, kidnapped by them, you can either sacrifice them or fight.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

There's definitely some tongue wrestling. The romance stuff in this game is really hilarious.

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR
You haven't really played this game till you have slipped on a bloody knuckle and killed a cyclops by punching it in the eye :black101:

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
2D FTP Dragon's Dogma spinoff thing coming to Vita in Japan

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-05-dragons-dogma-quest-is-a-f2p-online-2d-rpg-for-ps-vita

quote:

The latest issue of Japanese magazine Famitsu has revealed Dragon's Dogma Quest, a free-to-play online 2D role-playing game for PlayStation Vita.

According to Famitsu, via Siliconera, Dragon's Dogma Quest will launch in Japan this autumn. Publisher Capcom is yet to confirm a western release.

The spin-off is described as "fast-paced" - that is, it's designed to be played on the go. The focus is on strategy rather than action, and you decide your strategy based on the enemy's appearance, apparently.

There are dungeons, towns, villages and sub-quests. With online multiplayer, your four pawns can team up with a friend's four pawns, making for party maximum of eight.

We'll ask Capcom about the possibility of a UK release.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Cakeequals posted:

You haven't really played this game till you have slipped on a bloody knuckle and killed a cyclops by punching it in the eye :black101:

How viable is that playstyle? I would think a lot of the core skills don't work unarmed-- right?

Cause I would totally NG+ a knuckleduster play through :getin:

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

RRRRRRRRR
You get no core skills at all, just light and heavy punches. I've been using it to level up Mage and Sorceror for augments. It seems to work perfectly fine in the normal game content, but also I'm like level 130, so keep that in mind.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Double jump and dodge still work, thats all you need!

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

RRRRRRRRR
Huh, that must be based on class or something, cause as a barehanded Sorceror, I don't get either of those.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
It would be pretty hilarious if you could levitate barehanded

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Overbite posted:

How to get to forts the easy way like a busta

Follow the red line from Cassardis to get to the Shadow Fort. When you get past the bandit ambush after the canyon near the encampment you'll see a ridge with a forest to the right and the ruins to the left. Hug the ridge on the top side and you'll pass a ton of saurians and a chimera. You'll have to fight some goblins. Cut across and head to the camp. Rest, then go through the woods, hugging the wall to avoid most goblin packs. Easy!

Thanks for this, it helped a lot!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

tooooooo bad posted:

My own experiences contradict this. :iiam:

Maybe you went too long after talking to them and they dipped back under max affinity?

The affinity system is dumb.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm curious if this is supposed to happen at a similar time as Dragon's Dogma, a pseudo sequel, or if this is supposed to be "Dragon's Dogma...Again!" in F2P Vita form. You're playing an "Enlightened One" instead of an "Arisen" which I think is why you can have more pawns.

Dig the art for main/returning characters, though. Reminds me of the art style in Berserk. Not early Berserk (which was kind of hit or miss) or modern Berserk (which is super loving detailed and sharp) but kind of middle period.

They boast that pawns will have access to 150 jobs and you can have four of your own plus 4 more you borrow from peers. It looks like the pawn job art is being done by a variety of artists, and some of it clearly shows Magic Archer and Mystic Knight style characters.

source

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
I want to know what that Arc Guardian does. It looks like an unarmed dude in full plate. Looks awesome though. Gatherer? With 150 classes there will probably be regular ordinary professions that can be useful. Or used for challenge modes, like Window Washer or something.

Also: Finally got me a Vita after our Philly trip within a trip and added the list of folks who added me. Sorry for the delay there.

Also, re: the DA story...there is one thing that I play in my headcanon:

The Arisen who left the ongoing message on the tablets is the one who actually killed the ex-guardian of Daimon and Olra. I could easily see Daimon having a special place in his little hell dungeon for him, hence perhaps the extra maddening whispers and the like. Again, this is not confirmed but it sounds like it's pretty cool in my head, since this happened so long ago someone had to kill that dragon and I wonder if it was that guy, and then he got sidetracked to BBI before going to the Senechal or something.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Lotish posted:

You're playing an "Enlightened One" instead of an "Arisen" which I think is why you can have more pawns.

Isn't that what the Arisen was always called in Japanese?

apocrypha
Mar 1, 2009

Lotish posted:

I'm curious if this is supposed to happen at a similar time as Dragon's Dogma, a pseudo sequel, or if this is supposed to be "Dragon's Dogma...Again!" in F2P Vita form. You're playing an "Enlightened One" instead of an "Arisen" which I think is why you can have more pawns.

tooooooo bad posted:

Isn't that what the Arisen was always called in Japanese?
Yeah, from what the game page itself says, you play as Arisen again (覚者, which can mean 'enlightened one', is the JP term for Arisen) but you get dragged over to another country altogether, rather than Gransys, so maybe it's a 'what-if'/parallel world thing. Eurogamer seems to have gotten word from Capcom they're thinking about a localization, at least (source). At least the Vita's region-free, in case Capcom decides to leave it in localization limbo.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Would someone be so kind and give my pawn a spin? PSN is AchyHippo, she's on the list, level 47 right now, doing well in bitterblack.

She also has the auto revive staff so no need to worry about her. :v:

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

What level does the Dragon Pope in BBI become doable? I'm a level 75 assassin with a sorceror pawn, and between the pope and his buddy, it seemed like an impossible feat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

RRRRRRRRR

Alteisen posted:

Would someone be so kind and give my pawn a spin? PSN is AchyHippo, she's on the list, level 47 right now, doing well in bitterblack.

She also has the auto revive staff so no need to worry about her. :v:

I'll add you next time I'm online, I'm Cakeequals3 on PSN. You can take my pawn Bitey Face for a spin too, though it might unbalance the game some since he's level 130 or so.

• Locked thread