Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I have no idea. Sneaking back the way I came results in hitting blue forcefields, then he automatically detects me. Tried hiding *in* the vault, but that's no different than hiding outside of it. He gets to the front door, mutters something about alarms and starts shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Ernie Muppari posted:

Apparently you have to run back all the way you came to lock him in. I don't really know why they set it up like that since there's no reason you shouldn't be able to sneak past him. (Gamebryo sucks and blows at once?)

You can sneak past him right there, it requires a hell of a lot of stealth skill and possibly a stealth boy

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, I have no idea. Sneaking back the way I came results in hitting blue forcefields, then he automatically detects me. Tried hiding *in* the vault, but that's no different than hiding outside of it. He gets to the front door, mutters something about alarms and starts shooting.

You have to actually run all the way back the long-rear end way you had to go to get around the force fields in the first place as soon as you finish your conversation over the computer with him. It's super counter intuitive since there's tons of room to actually hide in the main room, but apparently that's how you're supposed to get him locked in. :shrug:

Like, you actually can't sneak past him in the main room without abusing scripting bugs, he's supposed to turn on the force fields as soon as you get near the entrance hallway (even if you're sneaking and the game doesn't think he's seen you) unless you go back around. It's kind of stupid.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Ernie Muppari posted:

You have to actually run all the way back the long-rear end way you had to go to get around the force fields in the first place as soon as you finish your conversation over the computer with him. It's super counter intuitive since there's tons of room to actually hide in the main room, but apparently that's how you're supposed to get him locked in. :shrug:

Like, you actually can't sneak past him in the main room without abusing scripting bugs, he's supposed to turn on the force fields as soon as you get near the entrance hallway (even if you're sneaking and the game doesn't think he's seen you) unless you go back around. It's kind of stupid.

As far as I'm aware it's not abusing a scripting bug to sneak around to the far side force-field door

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

JawKnee posted:

As far as I'm aware it's not abusing a scripting bug to sneak around to the far side force-field door

We may be talking about the same thing.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

JawKnee posted:

My experiences on my last playthrough suggest it is. It seems as though Elijah activates the forcefields as soon as you're within a foot from either of the doors, unless he's using the terminal by the vault door at the moment. You can get through either forcefield door at that moment, even when overburdened if you get the timing right. But going for the far door means you take longer to get into position, and can't see Elijah to know when the right moment is.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I've made it through both doorways before, albeit the closer one I've only gone through on the PS3 version, so maybe that's out on PC. It's tricky as hell to get the timing down, going the far way you sorta have to have stealth boy and such, sneak to the doorway straight out of the vault, wait a beat, then walk the rest of the way, and your over encumbered rear end should make it through the doorway right as the force fields turn on. There might be a bit where you need to sneak instead of walk due to turrets, but I forget exactly.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
I finally finished New Vegas! I put off finishing it for months, because I didn't want the game to end. 120 hours on my first playthrough! I feel like kind of a dick for siding with the NCR, so I'd like to do another playthrough with House this time.

I want to play Fallout 3 first, and set myself up for disappointment. :v: Is there anything I can easily miss, and is Melee just as viable as it is in New Vegas? I can't aim for poo poo with guns, and there's something so satisfying about taking on Legate Lanius with Blood-Nap and winning hands-down.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Have I made a mistake in putting so many points in both Bartering and Speech? They seem very similar skills, and I wonder if I'm waiting my skill points. Also, Bartering doesn't seem to confer as much as a bargin as I'd hoped. What should I do?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Radio Talmudist posted:

Have I made a mistake in putting so many points in both Bartering and Speech? They seem very similar skills, and I wonder if I'm waiting my skill points. Also, Bartering doesn't seem to confer as much as a bargin as I'd hoped. What should I do?
They're not wasted, at all. Speech is the most important skill in New Vegas, and Barter has some pretty amazing benefits with regards to perks.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Magypsy posted:

I finally finished New Vegas! I put off finishing it for months, because I didn't want the game to end. 120 hours on my first playthrough! I feel like kind of a dick for siding with the NCR, so I'd like to do another playthrough with House this time.

I want to play Fallout 3 first, and set myself up for disappointment. :v: Is there anything I can easily miss, and is Melee just as viable as it is in New Vegas? I can't aim for poo poo with guns, and there's something so satisfying about taking on Legate Lanius with Blood-Nap and winning hands-down.

Melee and unarmed are relatively weak in FO3. It's perfectly playable, mind you, but guns and energy weapons are much, much more powerful.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They're not wasted, at all. Speech is the most important skill in New Vegas, and Barter has some pretty amazing benefits with regards to perks.

Would you mind elaborating on the impact of Barter on perks?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
After a trip to Vegas recently and my brother going on about how Old World Blues was completely awesome I reinstalled NV for a third time and I'm playing to a point where I can do that content. What level do you guys reccommend I get to before I head over to the Big MT? I forgot how much of a slog the beginning was, after going through it for a 4th time I just want to put a bullet in Goodsprings' collective skull.
I really need to get into the rhythm of saving my save games. I have an odd compulsion to keep my PC clean and have the bad habit of deleting savegames of games I don't have installed.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Radio Talmudist posted:

Would you mind elaborating on the impact of Barter on perks?

On Hardcore mode, Pack Rat almost doubles your carrying capacity (most of the items you carry, like food, water and ammo, weight 2 or less). It's especially nice if you're using rope kid's jsawyer.esm, as it halves your carrying capacity.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Magypsy posted:

Hell no, Melee in Fallout 3 is rubbish. Maybe it gets better as you go on, but at about level 5/6 I had maxed out Melee, 9Str and a sledgehammer, and I was doing better with an assault rifle and 15 points in Small Guns. Start off with a high Agility so you can use VATS a lot, and stick your points in Small Guns for now and Energy Weapons for later.

Additional Fallout 3 tips: in character creation don't set any SPECIAL attributes to 10, because you can find items that boost each one by an extra point. For the same reason, don't take any skills over 90. I'd actually recommend not taking anything over 75 for a while at least, because a bunch of the perks boost skills by up to 15 points. That only really matters if you want to optimise a character though.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Hell no, Melee in Fallout 3 is rubbish. Maybe it gets better as you go on, but at about level 5/6 I had maxed out Melee, 9Str and a sledgehammer, and I was doing better with an assault rifle and 15 points in Small Guns. Start off with a high Agility so you can use VATS a lot, and stick your points in Small Guns for now and Energy Weapons for later.

Additional Fallout 3 tips: in character creation don't set any SPECIAL attributes to 10, because you can find items that boost each one by an extra point. For the same reason, don't take any skills over 90. I'd actually recommend not taking anything over 75 for a while at least, because a bunch of the perks boost skills by up to 15 points. That only really matters if you want to optimise a character though.

Also in FO3, VATS is not an option.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

Booo, Melee is the best. :( I'm not the worst with guns, though, so I'll take Small Guns. I usually wound up using pistols against enemies that were too far away anyway. Thanks for all the advice!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ColHannibal posted:

Also in FO3, VATS is not an option.
What? Or do you mean that VATS is absurdly overpowerful with its boosts to hit, specific perks, and 90% damage reduction? Then add Grim Reaper's sprint and you're pretty much invincible as long as you're good about using it.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Could anyone recommend a mod that will raise the number of companions I have? New Vegas has that Unlimited Companions mod but apparently it's wonky with the DLC...There's a hotfix but I think it was last updated in 2011...any recommendations?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So what's the best source to read about the making of the Fallout series and the inspiration for it all? Over the weekend I came across some old reading material, and, well:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Magypsy posted:

Booo, Melee is the best. :( I'm not the worst with guns, though, so I'll take Small Guns. I usually wound up using pistols against enemies that were too far away anyway. Thanks for all the advice!

Melee is quite viable in Fallout 3, especially if you put enough points in (I think) Big Guns to qualify for Pyromaniac (+50% fire damage) and then build a Shiskebab.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I remember not particularly putting points into Melee, and the Shishkebab still demolished things once I got it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Well yeah when you say that Vaults 34, 11, and 3 are all the same too. Possibly Vault 22 as well, though that one has a fair few unique assets.

While I can't remember their numbers for the life of me, the one covered in plants stands out. As does it's quest. The Voting Bloc one stands out also. Vault 3 is the most 'bland' one being full of raiders for you to murder, but it can actually be a friendly place. The one them boomers came from is a half flooded, totally irradiated clusterfuck with a shitload of guns. There's also the Powder Ganger vault which was also pretty neatly designed and potentially totally non-combaty.

Compare that to Fallout 3's vaults which were, the one with gary, the one with the like, two, hallucinations, and... the one filled with mole rats and radroaches? There might've been a couple of those. Or super mutants? I mean none of the vaults from fallout 3 really stand out other than different holes in the ground to kill a bunch of dudes in.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
The vaults in both games were hit-or-miss. Some had great stories and atmosphere, some were glorified dungeons, and some were essentially plot-based setpieces. I think Fallout NV manages to edge out Fallout 3 in this regard, but only because Vault 11 was so fantastic.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think I like NV better overall, but FO3 had some set pieces/locations that on their own stood out as better than stuff in NV. Like that guy from an earlier Fallout who has now grown into the basis for a whole grove or whatever, and you can burn him alive to kill him and listen to him screaming. Or bombing Megaton, or the general concept of a city on an abandoned military ship.

Don't get me wrong NV is great and has a lot of interesting finds and places to go.

Ravenfood posted:

What? Or do you mean that VATS is absurdly overpowerful with its boosts to hit, specific perks, and 90% damage reduction? Then add Grim Reaper's sprint and you're pretty much invincible as long as you're good about using it.

Not an option, as in you're doing it wrong if you're not using it :v:

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 5, 2013

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Moridin920 posted:

Like that guy from an earlier Fallout who has now grown into the basis for a whole grove or whatever, and you can burn him alive to kill him and listen to him screaming.

But that was one of the worst things about FO3! :gonk:

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

I think I like NV better overall, but FO3 had some set pieces/locations that on their own stood out as better than stuff in NV. Like that guy from an earlier Fallout who has now grown into the basis for a whole grove or whatever, and you can burn him alive to kill him and listen to him screaming. Or bombing Megaton, or the general concept of a city on an abandoned military ship.

At first I thought those places were kinda cool, but after a while I just started thinking neither Megaton or Rivet City made any sense whatsoever. Guess that only bothers spergs like me though.

Also, I refuse to accept that Harold's canonical fate was to walk all the way to the east coast and become a tree. Not my Harold. :colbert:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Ofaloaf posted:

So what's the best source to read about the making of the Fallout series and the inspiration for it all? Over the weekend I came across some old reading material, and, well:

Funny thing, this is the first few pages of the Fallout 1 manual. That's the extent they went through for ~*~immersion~*~ in the old games. :allears:

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Line Feed posted:

But that was one of the worst things about FO3! :gonk:

I got pretty tickled at first, but then I realized how laughably implausible it was that he just happened to have crossed the whole country like all the other poo poo that just happened to cross the whole country and kind of soured on it. FO3 could've avoided so much of this poo poo it gets if it just took place further west.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Male Man posted:

Melee is quite viable in Fallout 3, especially if you put enough points in (I think) Big Guns to qualify for Pyromaniac (+50% fire damage) and then build a Shiskebab.
Yeah, melee can work just fine in FO3.
If you want easy mode, just add in sneak to your build and you're on the road to breaking the game. Sneaking is really forgiving once you invest enough points in it and once boosted with the proper perks sneak attacks can kill pretty much anything in the game.

If you own FO3's DLC, then you can get some items that turn you into an ingame god. Operation Anchorage gives you a Stealth Suit which is an infinite use Stealth Boy. Once you start wearing it you pretty much just phase into another plane of existance and occasionally pop back into reality to poke people to death with your burning sword.
And in The Pitt you can get the Metal Blaster which is a special Laser Rifle which was made to be abused with sneak attacks and regular critical hits.

The downside is that you have to play Operation Anchorage.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 5, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Raygereio posted:

If you own FO3's DLC, then you can get some items that turn you into an ingame god. Operation Anchorage gives you a Stealth Suit which is an infinite use Stealth Boy. Once you start wearing it you pretty much just phase into another plane of existance and occasionally pop back into reality to poke people to death with your burning sword.
And in The Pitt you can get the Metal Blaster which is a special Laser Rifle which was made to be abused with sneak attacks and regular critical hits.

Don't forget the bonnet.

I wonder how viable Unarmed is in FO3? In New Vegas you got Ballistic Fists and the special attacks, but on FO3 even fully perked-up a Deathclaw Gauntlet has less DPS than a unmodified Shishkebab.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Moridin920 posted:

Don't get me wrong NV is great and has a lot of interesting finds and places to go.
Yeah, although the concept of people living on a pre-war ship was already done in Fallout 2, Rivet City looked really cool and was quite exciting to find. There's some better level design in Fallout 3 too; the Riley's Rangers quest stands out in my memory as a really fun quest. Admittedly it was basically just a first-person shooter level, but it was a fun first-person shooter level.

New Vegas has some good action dungeon areas too, but they're often hidden away for some reason. Yesterday I explored the sewers and found the Humble Cudgel, which was a pretty fun trip; then today I found an abandoned neon sign factory in Fiend territory. When I went in a bunch of Fiends spawned at the bottom of the stairs and ran up to get me, apparently forgetting that they had booby-trapped the stairs with what I have to assume, given the sheer force of the explosion which killed them all and crippled me, was a mini-nuke. Then I explored the factory and killed a few more Fiends, including a named one, and found a terminal with an entry about two of the factory workers who had dumb accidents.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Ofaloaf posted:

If you're interested in reading primary sources from the Cold War, many pages back I dropped a few historical nuclear warfare preparedness sources (including the one you posted :v:) -- just click the "?" under my name to find them. I'm a government documents technician and inspired by my latest FNV run-through, I created a libguide with a megaton of historical and current sources on nuclear disaster preparedness, but I don't want to link it here because it's under my real name. Fortunately, there's a lot of great old 1950s-1960s resources out there that you can get without a subscription to an academic database. Check out the HathiTrust Digital Library and try searches like --- "civil defense" AND (nuclear OR atomic OR radiological) --- to find them.

Here are links to a few:
Radiological Defense: a textbook
Fallout Protection: What to Do and Know About Nuclear Attack
Shelter from Atomic Attack in Existing Buildings
A Study of Lunar Research Flights (the US government actually considered testing nuclear weapons on the Moon)

Also, George Washington University's Nuclear Vault and the Nuclear Secrecy blog have compiled dozens of primary and secondary sources, and the Prelinger Archives also have nuclear weapons test footage and civil defense preparedness films (with great 1950s-1960s graphic design) to watch.

/librarian :spergin:

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

2house2fly posted:

While I disagree in that melee isn't that bad of a choice in FO3, but I will agree that the sledgehammer is a really disappointing weapon. I really wanted the sledgehammer to be good but it's really bad. I ended up sticking with unarmed instead most of the time because of how the usefulness of the deathclaw gauntlet and how quickly you can get fisto (minutes within escaping the vault) compared to the time it can take to get fawkes' super sledge.

Though when it comes to deciding on what you want to put points into in FO3, it's worth keeping in mind that it's really not that hard at all to max out most (if not all) of your skills. :cripes:

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

Is there a way to import my character's face from New Vegas to 3? I somehow made him look good there, but in 3 he just looks like a giant potato face. :(

Also, this intro was ridiculous, but I somehow managed to run away from the guards long enough for me to not have to kill them.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If you're on PC there's a mod called Tale Of Two Wastelands which lets you play F3 and New Vegas with the same character. Might be worth a shot?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frungy! posted:

At first I thought those places were kinda cool, but after a while I just started thinking neither Megaton or Rivet City made any sense whatsoever. Guess that only bothers spergs like me though.

Yeeah but if you start thinking about stuff that makes sense in the games even in the context of the Fallout world you're going to go mad.

quote:

Also, I refuse to accept that Harold's canonical fate was to walk all the way to the east coast and become a tree. Not my Harold. :colbert:

And then get burned alive :getin:

Thanks, I love poo poo like this.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

Yeeah but if you start thinking about stuff that makes sense in the games even in the context of the Fallout world you're going to go mad.
The thing is, there's an internal consistency to the madness of the world, and Fallout 3 breaks it. Frequently.

I don't envy Bathesda. The plot was a complete rehash of Fallouts 1 and 2 as written by somebody who loves good vs. evil knight's tales. No water. Geck. Brotherhood of Steel. Enclave. Super Mutants.

The thing was, they were both introducing the old world to the new gamers who were like, "What's a Fallout?" and trying to appease the old fans at the same time. Had they not included those elements, many of us would've complained about there not being enough stuff that makes Fallout Fallout.

There were some serious missteps, sure. Most quests could only be completed one way or had definitive Good or Bad solutions, the world was almost entirely full of empty buildings with no quest, loot, or story reason for existing, there were only like, ten enemies and five guns (not really, but it felt that way), and the ending made zero sense. Like, none whatsoever. But Bethesda had to make the engine and all of the assets and story and overall just had to build the whole game from the ground up. Obsidian got to use their work and build on it, improving it in pretty much every way.

I also just hate wandering gray, samey-looking post-apocalypse and appreciate the variety of the desert locales.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Setpieces do not a good game make. Never mind that FO3's setpieces were fairly dumb and uninteresting. Megaton, a town (and the like, central town. The loving Hub of the game) built in the crater(!!!!) of an unexploded bomb(????). That you get to blow up because NUKES ARE COOL. Then you have Rivet City, which is a town set in an aircraft carrier (cool idea, considering aircraft carriers are the size of small cities and staff as many people in them), except it had like ten people in it of note and was the size of a walk-in closet. And there's a guy with a museum. Because space wouldn't be at a massive premium.

And Harold. We don't talk about Harold. Harold's probably still out over in Gecko. If he survived Fallout 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Do we need to post The Shandification of Fallout again? Bethesda not putting any thought into how their world works is simply bad writing on their part.