Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Man, what the hell happened to my game? The Byzantines were all "gently caress second rome, we're going back to first" and completely took over the italian peninsula and with very Roman Empire 150 BCE borders. A greek muslim Anatolia rules what the Byzantines had. The entire south, southeast, and eastern portions of the map is Muslim of one kind of another.

Religious:

The dark purple nestled between various Byzantine states at the southern tip of italy appears to be some Brothers of St. George group or somesuch. I assume it was some holy order that was given land.

Despite a brief, dark period where my dynasty was exiled to a Nordic Krete to rule as petty kings, Sweden has been relatively stable and in my control for 300 years. However, it looks like that's going to change in the future. I can't seem to get the votes for my heir to inherit so it may go to some duchy jerk. What should I do in a case like this? How can I sway their voting? Are they more likely to vote for who they like or who I'm voting for if they like me?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Where are the events for the norse culture changes in the Old Gods?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
One of the most amazing event chains yet!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?693277-Next-EXP-DLC-will-be....&p=15583353&viewfull=1#post15583353

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sankis posted:

Man, what the hell happened to my game? The Byzantines were all "gently caress second rome, we're going back to first" and completely took over the italian peninsula and with very Roman Empire 150 BCE borders....

Hmm... I thought that the Byzantine Empire stopped being an empire if they lose control of Constantinople. Maybe that is just a CK2+ thing though? In my current game I am playing as the Byzantines and I have split Europe with the Karling dominated Empire of Francia. They basically control all of the lands classical associated with the Western Empire and I the lands associated with the eastern one. It brings joy to my heart to see such pretty borders in this game <3

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

What the...

In other news, I decided to try and play as a Merchant Republic, since I bought all of the DLC anyway. The interface looks pretty.
I juist have to build as much trade posts in 1 sea as possible right? And since I can just build tradeposts in counties I don't own, why should I try to gain more counties/duchies/w/e?

EDIT: oh, another thing, I created a Genius, Handsome, Strong leader with the Ruler Designer DLC. To balance those traits, I choose Leper and upgraded my health a bit. Now I'm in my mid-30's with awesome traits. Just married a lustfull wife, so my -20% fertility is cancelled out and I already have 2 kids, 4 years later. Who needs to change stuff in defines.ua :colbert:

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 5, 2013

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

When a bear has a high enough bluff/ diplomacy anything is possible...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

beedeebee posted:

In other news, I decided to try and play as a Merchant Republic, since I bought all of the DLC anyway. The interface looks pretty.
I juist have to build as much trade posts in 1 sea as possible right? And since I can just build tradeposts in counties I don't own, why should I try to gain more counties/duchies/w/e?

For even MORE money, dude!

On a serious note, trade zones give a tax bonus to cities located in them, as well as ensuring that that trade post won't be the target of embargo wars from their owners. Besides, once you have enough TPs and your cash flow is so good you can have mercenary companies on your payroll permanently, or you can afford to maintain a huge retinue thanks to the Garrison line of buildings in trade posts and your family estate's Military Warehouse line, what else are you use them for?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

A BEAR THERE WAS A BEAR A BEAR

On a slightly more serious note, this seems to be based on the plot of an Adventure Time episode. I approve.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Guildencrantz posted:

A BEAR THERE WAS A BEAR A BEAR

On a slightly more serious note, this seems to be based on the plot of an Adventure Time episode. I approve.

I'm faily sure its based off an old 4chan post about a bear rogue with high bluff and disguise.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I married my heir to the Queen of W. Francia and she got conquered by E. Francia. Now she's a Duchess and her husband is imprisoned by the King of E. & W. Francia. Shouldn't the price for his ransom by 145? I gave my heir enough money but there he still remains, his wife doesn't like him so she won't be bailing him out I think.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Charlz Guybon posted:

I married my heir to the Queen of W. Francia and she got conquered by E. Francia. Now she's a Duchess and her husband is imprisoned by the King of E. & W. Francia. Shouldn't the price for his ransom by 145? I gave my heir enough money but there he still remains, his wife doesn't like him so she won't be bailing him out I think.
The guy who holds him imprisoned can refuse the ransom if he doesn't like him enough.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Also, I'm pretty sure that someone who isn't titled isn't asked for their own ransom, it's always their liege.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I trust you need an exceptionally high diplomacy and intrigue to pull off being Sir Bearington?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mister Adequate posted:

I trust you need an exceptionally high diplomacy and intrigue to pull off being Sir Bearington?

Probably Learning too, you need to be knowledgeable in the human ways lest you are discovered when you ask what use kitchenware serve.

Though I suppose sufficient enough intrigue could make up for that.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Walliard posted:

Not manually, but East and West Francia will automatically change names if ruled by a non-Karling.

But can that mechanic be used for Religions somehow? Like, could pre-schism Christianity be known as "Latin Rite" and "Greek Rite" (or whatever) Christianity until 1053 (or whenever an event fires), at which point they become Catholicism and Orthodoxy, respectively?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
That guy got murdered in prison. I have two daughters, the oldest is matrilineally married, the other is 15. Why has the older sister been skipped and the youngest made my heir? I have primogeniture.

EDIT: Never mind, just realized she wasn't born in the purple. drat, the younger girl is betrothed to king and now I'm gonna have to cancel it.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 5, 2013

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So I finally united Ireland :woop:

My current king is Good King Drunkard, with 2 good sons, 4 daughters(and 2 sons in boxes their entire life since they rebelled at 16). My daughters are married matrilineally with minor princes of England, Wales, and Denmark, and I just married my 4th son to a Duchess of Scotland. :dance:

My heir has been in a box all his life, so when I play him Im going to imprison and execute every claimant in the way between me and my family (so I can have direct claims). Ideally I can grab middle crown power too. Then Ill play as his heir, join the angry mobs who assassinate him, and start pushing claims.

Now, I just did a little brushfire war with Scotland where I lost the Isle of Man. I have about 5k guys, it looks like they have about 15k. How does Ireland punch its way out and take over Britannia?

Finally, a question for DrSunshine. How would I go about removing the crown requirements from absolute cognatic? Id like for my opening count to be able to make it, if he feels inclined. Also, will this mod work in an already started game?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

I want this to not be a joke. I want it so bad.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My heir is currently in prison, which I feel kind of bad about. When he was born 'Strong' (thanks to his mother), I was pretty pleased as it meant I didn't have to bother about killing him in his infancy as I had his older brother. And then, sadly, a younger son was born, also 'Strong' but equally a 'Genius' (thanks to my ruler).

A couple of other sons have been made Godis to spare them the chop, but this older kid has always had an Intrigue score just high enough to make it too hard to plot his death.
He came of age with one of the decent Military educations and was then immediately sent - with a couple of dozen other Norse guys - on a Raiding trip right into a fight against a couple of thousand Welsh guys. He was captured and I'm hoping he'll be executed.
RIP, dude. Your daddy just didn't love you enough.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

LowellDND posted:

So I finally united Ireland :woop:

My current king is Good King Drunkard, with 2 good sons, 4 daughters(and 2 sons in boxes their entire life since they rebelled at 16). My daughters are married matrilineally with minor princes of England, Wales, and Denmark, and I just married my 4th son to a Duchess of Scotland. :dance:

My heir has been in a box all his life, so when I play him Im going to imprison and execute every claimant in the way between me and my family (so I can have direct claims). Ideally I can grab middle crown power too. Then Ill play as his heir, join the angry mobs who assassinate him, and start pushing claims.

Now, I just did a little brushfire war with Scotland where I lost the Isle of Man. I have about 5k guys, it looks like they have about 15k. How does Ireland punch its way out and take over Britannia?

Finally, a question for DrSunshine. How would I go about removing the crown requirements from absolute cognatic? Id like for my opening count to be able to make it, if he feels inclined. Also, will this mod work in an already started game?

Okay, go into "decisions" and find the file called "succession_laws.txt". In it, scroll down until you find "succ_true_cognatic". Look for the section marked "allow=" and look for "has_law = centralization_3" and "has_law = centralization_4", and "is_female=yes" Put a "#" in front of those lines.

The reasoning behind this was to make it so that if you're a female ruler with a strong enough, centralized enough state, you can choose to rewrite the laws to equalize your gender, because hell, you're the Super Queen!

It should work in an already started game, I haven't tried it yet though.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

LowellDND posted:

The same way you do everything in this game, by stabbing :ese:
Destabilize them into a civil war, pick off the rebelling dudes then take on the king who depleted levies by putting down the rebellion. Even if they don't civil war after stabbing the old king the vassals will have worse opinion of new king and won't raise as many troops for him.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Playing this game strictly without reloading no matter what retarded poo poo I accidentally do while trying to behave within my traits has been a fun reminder that I'm not as good as I think I am. Every empire I've ever made has been built on the foundation of 1000 reloads. :negative:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Pyromancer posted:

Can river travel be unlocked for other religions/cultures? It's kinda silly that Norse sail through entire Russia but should Rurik's kids convert they just stare at passing ships from the coast and can't use river anymore.

Yeah, I'll fix that next patch.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Pyromancer posted:

The same way you do everything in this game, by stabbing :ese:
Destabilize them into a civil war, pick off the rebelling dudes then take on the king who depleted levies by putting down the rebellion. Even if they don't civil war after stabbing the old king the vassals will have worse opinion of new king and won't raise as many troops for him.

How do you succeed in stabbing? I've done a couple plots that succeeded but I was also revealed.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So I've decided I hate the restrictions on succession laws, they add nothing to the game and are an annoyance.

As an independent Duke I can choose whatever succession I like, but as soon as I'm the King suddenly I've got less freedom? Really? Primogeniture succession didn't become a thing until the power of dukes was nearly squashed by an all-powerful crown? Really? Bullshit and I hate it.

Is there a mod to just take the Crown Authority requirements off of succession laws so I can set them to whatever I want, like the loving king I am?

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 5, 2013

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Ofaloaf posted:

But can that mechanic be used for Religions somehow? Like, could pre-schism Christianity be known as "Latin Rite" and "Greek Rite" (or whatever) Christianity until 1053 (or whenever an event fires), at which point they become Catholicism and Orthodoxy, respectively?

How does the pagan reformation decision do it? I'd assume it's either changing religion names or keeping the name the same and flipping random people to Old [Pagan] heretics. Even if it uses the latter method you could probably do it the other way around to replace Greek Rite "heretics" with vanilla Orthodoxy or whatever.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

So I've decided I hate the restrictions on succession laws, they add nothing to the game and are an annoyance.

As an independent Duke I can choose whatever succession I like, but as soon as I'm the King suddenly I've got less freedom? Really? Primogeniture succession didn't become a thing until the power of dukes was nearly squashed by an all-powerful crown? Really? Bullshit and I hate it.

Is there a mod to just take the Crown Authority requirements off of succession laws so I can set them to whatever I want, like the loving king I am?

I think you can just remove the crownlaw_title thing with centralization 3 and 4 below:
code:
allow = {			
	OR = {
		hidden_tooltip = {
			has_crown_law_title = no
				}
				crownlaw_title = {
					OR = {
						has_law = centralization_3
						has_law = centralization_4
					}
				}
			}
From the respective laws in succession_laws.txt

Going back to the Girl Power mod, would adding this to the job_title for marshal:
code:
allow = {
		OR = {
			is_female = no 
			gender_law = { true_cognatic_succession }
			liege = { gender_law = true_cognatic_succession }
Allow women in true_cognatic realms to be marshals? I'm a bit unsure on the "gender_law =" (gender_lawS?) part.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Can religions be renamed in-game like France starting off as West Francia?

There must be a way because a pagan religion changes it's name (e.g. Norse to Old Norse) and becomes a heresy upon a reformation.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

DrSunshine posted:

It should work in an already started game, I haven't tried it yet though.

Tested the basic mod, it works for current games. The spymaster and bishop were odd though, they didnt show anyone I could replace them with, male or female.

edit: The crown authority removal worked fine as well.

Loel fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 5, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

Allow women in true_cognatic realms to be marshals? I'm a bit unsure on the "gender_law =" (gender_lawS?) part.

It would have to be "has_law = succ_true_cognatic".

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Thought I was doing well, then I saw Hungary :stare:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

CapnAndy posted:

I *think* you could do it by taking out all the "allow: has crown law" paragraphs, but I'm open to correction.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Man, coming from "Civilization" and "Total War" this game is absolutely kicking my rear end. I have no idea how the hell you guys can juggle "de jure" and who is marrying/vassaling to who.

Let me put it this way, IRELAND is simply pummeling me. But I keep throwing myself back into it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

CobiWann posted:

Man, coming from "Civilization" and "Total War" this game is absolutely kicking my rear end. I have no idea how the hell you guys can juggle "de jure" and who is marrying/vassaling to who.

Let me put it this way, IRELAND is simply pummeling me. But I keep throwing myself back into it.

My gf and I have about 50 hours played between us. Ive only just united Ireland tonight. (separate games)

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

CobiWann posted:

I just became supreme dicklord of Mali and Arabia and reformed the west african pagans. Patience is the greatest of virtues in this game. Too many games go south because people expand too quickly too fast.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

LowellDND posted:

I *think* you could do it by taking out all the "allow: has crown law" paragraphs, but I'm open to correction.

Yup, that worked. I also made it so anyone can be the spymaster, not just the wife or mother.

Now the only problem with Girl Power that I see right now is that it wont show any eligible successors for my court chaplain. And that decision tree is a complicated one, I'm wary of deleting bits.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Pimpmust posted:

I think you can just remove the crownlaw_title thing with centralization 3 and 4 below:
code:
allow = {			
	OR = {
		hidden_tooltip = {
			has_crown_law_title = no
				}
				crownlaw_title = {
					OR = {
						has_law = centralization_3
						has_law = centralization_4
					}
				}
			}
I just killed the entire allow sections for each of them. Hopefully that'll work, can't test it at work.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

CobiWann posted:

I had a very long chat with a friend of mine who just got the game a few days ago about how he was treating the game a lot like a Total War game and how that was kicking his rear end, so I'll repeat it here:

CK2 is not a wargame.

Oh, it has lots of wars, sure, and they're awesome, but it's not a wargame and if you approach it as one you're going to get frustrated and miss out on all the awesomeness.

CK2 is a dynasty and politics sim with some wars attached.

What this means is, don't focus on the fighting. Focus on the politics, with the fighting as a means to a political end. Getting a new duchy is nice, but if you can't hold it and it's going to piss off your vassals, don't do it. Especially when you're just learning, stability and political strength trumps land. Be patient. You have several generations of play; there's no need to conquer everything right now. Take your time, build your power base, be methodical and cunning.

The fact that assassinating an enemy king is often more effective than just going to war with him is not unintentional; it shows you where the emphasis is. War is a means to an end in CK2, but it's not the end itself. Just remember that, and you'll be fine.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Okay dudes, I fixed the Spymaster/Chaplain bugs for Girl Power!

Girl Power v.1.1

If you have any other suggestions for features, suggest away!! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

DrSunshine posted:

Okay dudes, I fixed the Spymaster/Chaplain bugs for Girl Power!

Girl Power v.1.1

If you have any other suggestions for features, suggest away!! :D

This is awesome and you are awesome.

In my version of this I added capandy's suggestions as well. Now low crown power female monarchies can choose their succession too :D

• Locked thread