Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Prezer posted:

So I just watched Fast and Furious 6
I'll only mention one, which is in my opinion the worst one. The tank man, I mean, they even mention it's a 70 ton tank, which flips when a probably less than 1 ton car anchors it underneath a bridge support. This part made me stare into the roof, almost missing the jump Diesel did, which is another stupid moment in this movie.

I don't think you really get the Fast and Furious movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Prezer posted:

I'll only mention one, which is in my opinion the worst one. The tank man, I mean, they even mention it's a 70 ton tank, which flips when a probably less than 1 ton car anchors it underneath a bridge support. This part made me stare into the roof, almost missing the jump Diesel did, which is another stupid moment in this movie.

"How did you know that car would be there to break our fall?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I didn't read the spoiler, but I had a colleague try to talk me out of seeing the move because there were "so many silly and unbelievable scenes" in it :doh:

What's up with Iron Man 3 not having at least a lovely cover version of "Iron Man"? Is it really so difficult to send Ozzy some drugs, and have him take care of this?

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

mobby_6kl posted:

What's up with Iron Man 3 not having at least a lovely cover version of "Iron Man"? Is it really so difficult to send Ozzy some drugs, and have him take care of this?

This bugged me a lot too. I was totally waiting for it during the ending narration and instead it went to some generic thing and I was really disappointed.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

The Duke of Ben posted:

I hated that episode so much for that reason. There's no way that the people who wrote that had a clue what space is actually like. It's like they figured a few dozen ships could just cover a few hundred lightyears worth of empty space somehow.

Ugh, that was the worst plan. I mean, even ignoring the 3-dimensional problems, they're trying to use a horrendously small number of ships to handle the job. It's the future, make a huge network of millions of probes to cover the area or something.

If this was the episode where Data gets his own command and saves the day at the end, I liked it. It's been years since I've seen it but to my recollection, they were covering a specific region of space through which a delivery of weapons was going to pass. As in it was time-sensitive and the cloaked ship had little choice but to take that route, instead of doing a big circle around it. They could make millions of probes but it was a drop-of-the-hat tactic in a battle.

And I just googled this up and it looks pretty 3D to me

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Probably because in the song Iron Man kills the people he once saved.

Or, it was the credits song for Iron Man 1 and they didn't want to repeat themselves.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Prezer posted:

FaF 5 and 6 are about superheros who drive supercars and ignore all physics. That's why they are the best movies.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Byzantine posted:

Probably because in the song Iron Man kills the people he once saved.

Or, it was the credits song for Iron Man 1 and they didn't want to repeat themselves.

I know, but that seems like the logical next step to take the character after his former lady friend was murdered, and his home and life's work destroyed. Maybe next movie. :colbert: Or they could chicken out and have an instrumental version, like I think they did in the first one. Wouldn't mind if it was the series signature.

Prezer
Apr 30, 2013

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

FaF 5 and 6 are about superheros who drive supercars and ignore all physics. That's why they are the best movies.

I went into this movie expecting it, and I wasn't dissapointed, but that scene was just over-the-top absurd on another level.

The Duke of Ben
Jul 12, 2005
Listen, if you're not going to tell me how the entire world economic, political, and social order can be completely replaced in every detail, then I think maybe you should consider that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Check and mate.

Supreme Allah posted:

It's been years since I've seen it but to my recollection, they were covering a specific region of space through which a delivery of weapons was going to pass. As in it was time-sensitive and the cloaked ship had little choice but to take that route, instead of doing a big circle around it. They could make millions of probes but it was a drop-of-the-hat tactic in a battle.

They didn't even try to give a reason why a ship that travels at faster than the speed of light would have to travel through a very small section of space. And the 3d problem is that in all directions there were ways around their little group of ships. They could go over, or around, or under. That some magic field existed everywhere but right where they had their ships is pretty implausible, but more importantly, if such an area existed you better believe that Starfleet would have had a million little probes there to watch it 24/7, because they could watch a lot of traffic go through there.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

The Duke of Ben posted:

They didn't even try to give a reason why a ship that travels at faster than the speed of light would have to travel through a very small section of space. And the 3d problem is that in all directions there were ways around their little group of ships. They could go over, or around, or under. That some magic field existed everywhere but right where they had their ships is pretty implausible, but more importantly, if such an area existed you better believe that Starfleet would have had a million little probes there to watch it 24/7, because they could watch a lot of traffic go through there.

The top end speed may be many times faster than light but there are always going to be shorter routes to get from point A to point B, no matter how fast you're going. In this case, there was a time-critical weapons shipment and the shortest route from point A to point B was covered up by a net of sensors. It's not complicated. The real annoying thing in that episode was what a douchebag Data's 2nd officer was. That guy should have been kicked out of Starfleet for the crap he pulled.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

The Duke of Ben posted:

Ships can't travel at warp while cloaked. :science:

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Wouldn't they be technically cloaked since they are traveling fast, and be harder to see?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Back to the Future 2 was on TV tonight. At the start Doc is filling up the Mr. Fusion with all the rubbish he finds in Marty's bin, including pouring in a half full can of San Miguel. Who the gently caress throws a half full can of beer/anything into the bin? This annoyed me even as a kid :mad:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Back to the Future 2 was on TV tonight. At the start Doc is filling up the Mr. Fusion with all the rubbish he finds in Marty's bin, including pouring in a half full can of San Miguel. Who the gently caress throws a half full can of beer/anything into the bin? This annoyed me even as a kid :mad:

Maybe it was rainwater or something?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
It's San Miguel. Pretty much the same thing.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Eau de MacGowan posted:

People who don't like poo poo beer? I was unable to finish a can of Old Milwaukee once. It was abysmal. It tasted like what I imaging donkey saliva would taste like, but more stale.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Beer is pretty poo poo, to be honest.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

NGL posted:

People who don't like poo poo beer? I was unable to finish a can of Old Milwaukee once. It was abysmal. It tasted like what I imaging donkey saliva would taste like, but more stale.

He's saying that if there's any beer left in the can, you dump it out in the sink before throwing the can away.

That way it doesn't leak all over the bin or bag.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Blast Fantasto posted:

He's saying that if there's any beer left in the can, you dump it out in the sink before throwing the can away.

That way it doesn't leak all over the bin or bag.

Well, I suppose that's one way to do it.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Byzantine posted:

Beer is pretty poo poo, to be honest.

Narrator from Arrested Development posted:

Byzantine had gone too far, and had best watch their mouth.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

As a person who once had to empty public garbage receptacles: pretty much everyone.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I guess I'll bring up something from Iron Man 3 for the hell of it. The Mandarin. The twist with the Mandarin. It didn't ruin the movie or anything but with them showing Tony having panic attacks about the wormhole in The Avengers, I was surprised they didn't try to link the Mandarin and keep with his comic origins by having his rings being built from alien tech. It would have went well with his panic attacks, made the villain more personal and built the universe more. I didn't mind what ended up happening but I guess they didn't want to take an obvious route.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gaunab posted:

I guess I'll bring up something from Iron Man 3 for the hell of it. The Mandarin. The twist with the Mandarin. It didn't ruin the movie or anything but with them showing Tony having panic attacks about the wormhole in The Avengers, I was surprised they didn't try to link the Mandarin and keep with his comic origins by having his rings being built from alien tech. It would have went well with his panic attacks, made the villain more personal and built the universe more. I didn't mind what ended up happening but I guess they didn't want to take an obvious route.

I loved the twist. But Killian's motivation didn't make any goddamn sense at all. Okay, he's staging a bunch of terrorist attacks around the world to make the government spend a bunch of money on the (a new?) war on terror. Sure. But aliens just attacked New York. loving aliens with flying scooters and worms and poo poo. Wouldn't all of the militaries be dumping every dollar they had on anything that looked halfway promising because holy poo poo, alien invaders! Things like a new crazy super soldier serum, maybe.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Not quite the same as everyone else's plot holes, but there are two movies that I love, that have one scene that I can't stand. Horton Hears a Who had a dreadful feels-like-10-minutes-but-is-only-3 anime parody sequence that drags on and is aggressively unfunny (to me). The Croods has a example too, where Krug is trying hard to emulate Guy with ideas of his own that all backfire, and it's funny at first, but after the third gag I just started feeling bad for the guy, and kinda embarrassed for him, and the terrible Beatnik impression didn't help. The Croods is less annoying for me because that scene has a fantastic payoff during the ending climax and a cute callback in dialogue, so unlike Horton Hears an Anime it feels like it has a purpose, but it just makes me cringe.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Arrath posted:

I loved the twist. But Killian's motivation didn't make any goddamn sense at all. Okay, he's staging a bunch of terrorist attacks around the world to make the government spend a bunch of money on the (a new?) war on terror. Sure. But aliens just attacked New York. loving aliens with flying scooters and worms and poo poo. Wouldn't all of the militaries be dumping every dollar they had on anything that looked halfway promising because holy poo poo, alien invaders! Things like a new crazy super soldier serum, maybe.

Well Killian was just covering up the extremis formula not working since the end result of it failing was explody. Also he was greedy and wanted to control the super soldier formula market.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Triple Shot:

Total Recall, which was a shitpile for lots of rational reasons, and Star Trek Into Darkness both suffered from some kind of lovely visual design choice where LENS FLARES!!! and weird as gently caress LIGHT BARS! are constantly making GBS threads all across the screen. At some points those strange glare bars covered entire blocks of screen and literally prevented me from seeing anything which was happening in the goddamn movie. Not just at like explosion and laser parts, either, but when people were expositioning in god-drat offices. I felt like there was a highway with oncoming traffic running just behind the screen. What happened?

Also, and this may have been mentioned about STiD, but the guy is Khan Noonien Singh, you could cast someone that isn't the world's most Lily White British Man in the role. Hell, they got Ricardo Montalban back in the day, and its disappointing that a series once known for pioneering racial inclusion in its first days has become so whitewashed. Second point, why did they just not use the blood of the guy from the cryotube in which they crammed Kirk? He was a genetically engineering ubermensch too you know.

Finally, I get so irrationally mad about total rear end in a top hat protagonists we are supposed to relate to because they are so 'wacky' and 'charming'. Lethal Weapon, as a series, is something I could never really enjoy because of my apparently irrational dislike of Riggs. The antagonistic bullshit he does way crosses the line in every loving movie. Notable offenses include the sexual assault of Rikva in 2 and the way he treats Leo in all movies, especially the fourth. "Hey, I think you're a short dumpy rear end in a top hat, let me just steal your expensive personal property and throw it overboard. LOL!" Leo, get out you little battered wifeman.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

LeJackal posted:

Triple Shot:

Total Recall, which was a shitpile for lots of rational reasons, and Star Trek Into Darkness both suffered from some kind of lovely visual design choice where LENS FLARES!!! and weird as gently caress LIGHT BARS! are constantly making GBS threads all across the screen. At some points those strange glare bars covered entire blocks of screen and literally prevented me from seeing anything which was happening in the goddamn movie. Not just at like explosion and laser parts, either, but when people were expositioning in god-drat offices. I felt like there was a highway with oncoming traffic running just behind the screen. What happened?

I'm not going to defend the lens flares but the light bars are a direct homage to the original series and the way it was lit.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Phanatic posted:

I'm not going to defend the lens flares but the light bars are a direct homage to the original series and the way it was lit.

Those aren't the light bars I mean - and I don't recall many of those in the movie. (Which would have been kicking rad, the movie was lit for poo poo.)

I meant a 'glare bar', like a lens flare, except it extends all the way across the shot like some kind of lens flare chorus line of shot-blocking sun-poo poo.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

LeJackal posted:

Also, and this may have been mentioned about STiD, but the guy is Khan Noonien Singh, you could cast someone that isn't the world's most Lily White British Man in the role. Hell, they got Ricardo Montalban back in the day, and its disappointing that a series once known for pioneering racial inclusion in its first days has become so whitewashed. Second point, why did they just not use the blood of the guy from the cryotube in which they crammed Kirk? He was a genetically engineering ubermensch too you know.

Casting Ricardo Montalban as an Indian isn't any more racially sensitive than using the whitest man on the planet unless you really think the only races are white and ethnic.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

M.Ciaster posted:

I don't think you really get the Fast and Furious movies.

I like that that part bothered him and not the World's Longest Runway, which wasn't so much irritating as awesome.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

duggimon posted:

Casting Ricardo Montalban as an Indian isn't any more racially sensitive than using the whitest man on the planet unless you really think the only races are white and ethnic.

It was considered progressive at the time, but good job making value judgements divorced from context.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LeJackal posted:

It was considered progressive at the time, but good job making value judgements divorced from context.

Cumberbatch also wasn't the first choice for the role. Benicio del Toronto was.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

duggimon posted:

In 1960s America I don't think there was a single Indian actor in all of Hollywood, let alone one able to carry a leading-man role. They consciously chose to make the character Indian and at least made an effort to get someone who, by the standards of the day, or maybe even now, could probably pass for a northern Indian. Yeah, he's still a villain, but at least he's a charismatic super-genius villain. Cross-ethnic casting is a fact of life in Hollywood, but casting one minority as another minority is still different from just recasting with a white person and eliminating all ethnicity from the role. The movie also cast a Korean to play a Japanese character, but that's still very different from if they had just given the role to Zach Braff.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

LeJackal posted:

I never really made a value judgement, I don't give a poo poo about either casting choice nor have I seen either film.

Cream_Filling posted:

In 1960s America I don't think there was a single Indian actor in all of Hollywood, let alone one able to carry a leading-man role. They consciously chose to make the character Indian and at least made an effort to get someone who, by the standards of the day, or maybe even now, could probably pass for a northern Indian. Yeah, he's still a villain, but at least he's a charismatic super-genius villain. Cross-ethnic casting is a fact of life in Hollywood, but casting one minority as another minority is still different from just recasting with a white person and eliminating all ethnicity from the role. The movie also cast a Korean to play a Japanese character, but that's still very different from if they had just given the role to Zach Braff.

If someone regards recasting ethnic roles with white actors as a problem and something that shouldn't be done then I can't see why they wouldn't also agree that casting a Mexican as an Indian is an issue, to me it seems the same sort of insult, if you're the type to take offence at casting in films.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

duggimon posted:

If someone regards recasting ethnic roles with white actors as a problem and something that shouldn't be done then I can't see why they wouldn't also agree that casting a Mexican as an Indian is an issue, to me it seems the same sort of insult, if you're the type to take offence at casting in films.

It's two different things. In one case you're saying "We want an Indian character, bet we don't have any Indian actors, so we'll use a Mexican actor and no one will know the difference." In the other case you're saying "gently caress it, let's make the character white." One is a workaround, the other is making a deliberate change to the character.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Casting a person of color for the role of a person of color is still a step forward in my book. I don't disagree that it'd be offensive today but for the time it was at least a bit of an improvement. At what point would you draw the line as ok? Casting a Japanese actor as a Chinese character? An Englishman as French? I'm not giving those examples facetiously, I'm sure there are people that would be genuinely offended by those choices. But I think we can agree that the latter examples would be no where near the level of putting a white actor in black face.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

The lens flare thing is all subjective. I felt like he used less than in ST09.
The casting for Khan, as has been pointed out, changed because Del Toro backed out. There's a rather large discussion on the whole thing in the CD Star Trek thread.
As for the other guy in the cryotube: Bones just discovered that Khan's blood has regenerative powers. He doesn't know if it's the same for the others, but he doesn't have time to find out. If he can get Khan's blood, he knows there's a chance he can revive Kirk. It also adds tension because Spock is finally losing control of his emotions and wants to kill Khan. Does he go through with it or regain his composure in order to save Kirk?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bamhand posted:

An Englishman as French?

Why did they make all the French people in TNG speak with English accents? What was that about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

duggimon posted:

In the US there is still a big difference in social status between whites and non-whites, though. That is the core of the issue. One of the primary ways in which systemic advantages for whites are propagated is that being white is considered "normal", in part due to white domination of media, where white characters are given prominent roles with more characterization while minority characters, if they are even present, are often relegated to secondary or token status.

Whitewashing in film is considered offensive because it works to reduce the number of minority characters in film, hurts the careers of minority actors, can affect the creative intent of the artist, and it can be viewed as a usurpation and appropriation of other cultures and ethnicities.

Tiggum posted:

Why did they make all the French people in TNG speak with English accents? What was that about?

IRL a lot of french people speak english with english accents because, due to proximity, they usually end up learning english from english people. And it's because Patrick Stewart was english.

• Locked thread