Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ineptmule posted:

EDIT: Might as well use this post to make my new oath! I oath 9 stands of 15mm miniatures and one piece of 15mm terrain. There are 5 stands of rough-looking militia and 4 fallout-style super mutants which each have their own base. These miniatures are from Khurasan.

Oh man, I've been eyeing these models for a while. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I'll own up to my failed oath. That avatar is pretty cool

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

ineptmule posted:

EDIT: Might as well use this post to make my new oath! I oath 9 stands of 15mm miniatures and one piece of 15mm terrain. There are 5 stands of rough-looking militia and 4 fallout-style super mutants which each have their own base. These miniatures are from Khurasan.

Khurasan is quickly becoming my favorite new manufacturer, everything I get from them is very nice. Them and Rebel Minis have opened my eyes to 15mm (mainly non-historical). Quality stuff and fast shipping, sometimes it sucks to be in the Midwest when everything you want is made in England, to have 2 of the better 15mm sci-fi makers within a few states is wonderful.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I, too, will toss my hat in the ring for the avatar since my shame is so great.

nathonicus
May 2, 2013
A question for the mods... I have a 1/32 BSG Colonial Viper from Moebius Models that I've been meaning to assemble and paint up. It's not a gaming model, but just a model kit. Is that fit subject material for this Oathing thread?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
We've had other static model kits appear in the oath thread already, so no reason why we should exclude any others to make their way in :)

Just as long as you understand the focus of the thread is on gaming miniatures (thus the gaming-related prizes), anyone is welcome to participate!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

nathonicus: Call it terrain. We'll work it in, somehow. :v:

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I, Pash, Oath to paint in the month of June 5 GW Sanguinary Guard and 2 Foundry Men at Arms (which I have learned are just 3rd edition GW Bretonnian Foot Knights)

nathonicus
May 2, 2013

Fix posted:

nathonicus: Call it terrain. We'll work it in, somehow. :v:

Actually, one of my ideas for an Infinity Terrain board is an Aeronautics Museum/Park. You know how sometimes you'll see decommissioned Aircraft setup as sort of monuments? It would give me something to do with my old Star Wars Starship Miniatures pieces.

Sweet. Well, I'm going to try and finish building it this month, then, and maybe it will end up as an alternate universe oath.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

nathonicus posted:

Actually, one of my ideas for an Infinity Terrain board is an Aeronautics Museum/Park. You know how sometimes you'll see decommissioned Aircraft setup as sort of monuments? It would give me something to do with my old Star Wars Starship Miniatures pieces.

Sweet. Well, I'm going to try and finish building it this month, then, and maybe it will end up as an alternate universe oath.

Yep, this is the perfect case study for an Alternate Universe oath - can't wait to see it!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

:woop::frogsiren:OH MY GOD PRIZES!:frogsiren::woop:

I rolled some prizes for May!

Ledgem wins a fabulous prize from Dragon Forge!
Aix Athanatos wins a fabulous prize from Corvus Belli, the makers of Infiniti figures!
Booley wins a dive into the Grab Bag!
Fix wins a fabulous prize from Springer-Pinsel Kolinsky Brushes!
TheBlobThing wins a fabulous prize from Troll Trader!
Chance II, moths, A_Bluenoser, and Namenlos win fabulous prizes from Games n' Gears double-ended brushes!

Oh god I hope I didn't gently caress it up!

You can review the content of the prize packages here
You can view the prize-winning dice rolls here: http://orokos.com/roll/c-Oath+Thread+2013-14
You can view the index generation formulas in the Monthly Prizes section of the May spreadsheet here.
I previously had an error on the spreadsheet. Manifest's Best Conversion prize is a quarterly prize, but I had a column for it on the monthly sheets.

Prize Winners: Please contact krushgroove to arrange for delivery of your prizes. Except Aix Athanatos, you need to contact me, since I'll be mailing these out directly. You can send me email to my user name at gmail dot com, or use PMs if you prefer.

Everyone: if I messed something up please let me know right away.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Woot! I needed new brushes! Thanks, Springer-Pinsel!

Aix Athanatos
Nov 3, 2011
:siren:I, Aix Athanatos, do hereby oath 1 Order Sergeant w/Spitfire, 1 Crusader Brethren w/HMG, and 1 Knight of the Holy Sepulchre.:siren:

Everything's from Corvus Belli again. I expect I'll be adding more but this is all I've got for now.

Oh, and holy poo poo I won something! :dance: I'll be sending out a PM shortly, Leperflesh.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Good news on my front. A, found my SD card!. Even thought I know it doesn't count I will post all the picture.

Secondly, for the deketuv's journal, can it be battle damage on the base? By that I mean, I've model my command squad as if they're in a fuel dump, hiding among barrels with bullet holes in them and the promethium leaking out. I'm thinking for my oath to add a heavy weapon team and an adviser, and I was wondering if I did the same to the scenery on their bases if that would count. I can post example pictures when I get home.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Y'know, carving battle damage into a solid pewter tree model might not have been my best Oath plan ever.

Blood will be spilt, this night...

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Woo, congrats to May's winners :D

Speaking of battle damage, I definitely need to add to my oath.. I don't think I can bring myself to damage dropzone commander models, they're just too drat pretty to scar up.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
My Dark Angels are too pretty to fuss up with battle damage. I'll need to oath a cultist in or something in addition that would be wounded or damaged in some way.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The previous month's Detektuv's Jurnal is available to do for 1 point, if anyone doesn't want to change their plans for the models they're oathing this month. It is one of the bigger changes for this oath season, and I want to make sure we reiterate that you don't HAVE to do the current month's Jurnal at all. If you're going for max points that may be a different matter though.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I can post example pictures when I get home.

Please do, it sounds intriguing but I guess we should be fair to people who'll be painting/carving battle damage into their models.

Tadhg posted:

Y'know, carving battle damage into a solid pewter tree model might not have been my best Oath plan ever.

Blood will be spilt, this night...

Bleed or Toxx!

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Secondly, for the deketuv's journal, can it be battle damage on the base? By that I mean, I've model my command squad as if they're in a fuel dump, hiding among barrels with bullet holes in them and the promethium leaking out. I'm thinking for my oath to add a heavy weapon team and an adviser, and I was wondering if I did the same to the scenery on their bases if that would count. I can post example pictures when I get home.

I was wondering about this as well as I was planning to have enemy wreckage scattered on my flying bases.

Also, I'm really digging all the extra monthly prizes this year. Thanks Springer-Pinsel!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

YF19pilot posted:

Sorry to double post, but

I, YF19pilot, do hereby oath the following: ten (10) Zvezda Panzer III G tanks (1/100 or 15mm) and one (1) Battlefront FoW Panzer IV H (also 15mm) for the month of June.

Making an Oath Addition of 1 Rasputina, 3 Ice Gamin, and 1 Ice Golem from Wyrd Miniature's Malifaux
These are all part of the Rasputina box;

Between this and the 10 PIIIs I'm painting in DAK colors, gonna have the themed group in the bag this month.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I JesusIsTehCool Oath this Games Workshop Vindicator for the month of June!

While I normally am not the biggest fan of battle damage I will give it a shot! Time to bust of some drill bits and hope I don't cut myself wounding my tank.

I am wondering is it possible to "theme" this vehicle with the Assault Marines from my last oath or am I out of luck for getting in on those bimonthly points?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

I can't think of a good reason why this shouldn't count. I mean, there's a grey area for sure: someone who normally puts lots of ancient wreckage on their base or whatever shouldn't get the bonus for free. But if you put something that requires some effort on your part to damage, then I think that should count. So if you have barrels that don't come pre-damaged, and you put effort into damaging them, I'd give the points.

Chance II posted:

I was wondering about this as well as I was planning to have enemy wreckage scattered on my flying bases.

As above: if you just put random pieces of junk on your bases that's not really meeting the spirit of the monthly theme. The idea here is to model damage onto your miniatures in some way; having a skull or a tire or a random pile of girders doesn't do it. You also can't claim the bonus if you just use a pre-sculpted base that happens to show damaged stuff on it.

But if you start with a "whole" bit of decoration and modify it to damage it, in the same way you would with a whole miniature, then we'll consider that equivalent.

If anyone isn't sure whether what they're doing will count, please check in advance and we'll approve your choice so you're not risking missing out on those bonus points.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I am wondering is it possible to "theme" this vehicle with the Assault Marines from my last oath or am I out of luck for getting in on those bimonthly points?

This doesn't fit the rules, though. Your Themed Group has to be all in one monthly Oath, according to the rules as written.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Since it's a bimonthly competition, maybe Ineptmule can make the call whether themed groups can be added to. I think it'll be a lot to keep track of, but if the person doing the painting quotes their original completed oath it might work okay.

Leperflesh posted:

if you start with a "whole" bit of decoration and modify it to damage it, in the same way you would with a whole miniature, then we'll consider that equivalent.

If anyone isn't sure whether what they're doing will count, please check in advance and we'll approve your choice so you're not risking missing out on those bonus points.

On the 'damaged bases?' question, I think these are the pertinent lines to remember. I don't think we should be super harsh on what is allowed or not allowed, but we should be fair to people that are taking drill bits and Dremels to their models (of course, the damage can be painted on as well!). If it's pre-molded damage then it doesn't count. If you're in doubt, post a picture of the actual model or base pieces you plan to oath.

I'll be out of town but hopefully on a working internet connection for the weekend, so I'm leaving the questions to Leperflesh for now.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Yeah, we thought about this in planning the thread and I'm afraid that I think it would be a nightmare to keep track of adding to themed groups across separate months.

But I guess, as Krushgroove said, if people always quote their first oath of a group along with the second part then it should be possible.

The principal aims of the theme prize are to get people painting more than the minimum oath as well as getting armies/squads/gangs/teams painted, and keeping those in mind I'm tempted to allow it.

I believe I made the opposite call in the first month, though, so somebody might have changed what they planned to do as a result. If anybody feels that way I apologise!

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Aww yeah, I need new brushes!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ineptmule posted:

Yeah, we thought about this in planning the thread and I'm afraid that I think it would be a nightmare to keep track of adding to themed groups across separate months.

But I guess, as Krushgroove said, if people always quote their first oath of a group along with the second part then it should be possible.

The principal aims of the theme prize are to get people painting more than the minimum oath as well as getting armies/squads/gangs/teams painted, and keeping those in mind I'm tempted to allow it.

I believe I made the opposite call in the first month, though, so somebody might have changed what they planned to do as a result. If anybody feels that way I apologise!

As written, right now this is a bi-monthly contest and if you do a themed group in each of the two months, you can get two entries into the contest.

If you completed a valid group in Month 1, adding more units to it in Month 2 doesn't affect your prize eligibility or chances. And since it's a random draw, there's not really much point to doing it beyond showing off your models.

However, if you have half of a group in Month 1 (say, 3 28mm models) and then the other half in Month 2 (say, another 3 28mm models), then you could combine them to get a single entry, if that were allowed. But we ruled against allowing it last month when someone asked.

As far as tracking it, if I have a single post which contains all the constituent pieces of a Theme, I can put it in the spreadsheet. But I'd also have to confirm that all the constituent pieces were parts of valid, confirmed, and completed Oaths! That's where it starts to be more manual legwork.

I think given the intent of the prize, and the additional work, I'm in favor of the rules as they're currently written. If you want to do a themed group, it's a bit more effort because you have to get enough models painted in a single month/Oath. That extra effort gets you eligibility for a prize. Let's stick with that unless there's a compelling reason to change it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ineptmule posted:

Ack - sorry! There goes me trying to be nice and including everyone...

e: just saw Leperflesh's post - I agree. It's a balance of making it easy to manage and track, and trying (as I said) to be nice and not exclude things people want to try (like damaged bases). We're on a knife's edge here, people!

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

ineptmule posted:

I don't want to make anyone bend the rules or get an unfair advantage in the draws or anything. I thought I would just ask as my assault marines would have fit into that category and I didn't realize that until it was too late. This month I had my heart set on the tank because its been unpainted for far to long and works well with the journal.

Thanks for clearing it up, I guess I will just have to kick butt on this tank and leave time to get a few Space Marines in there to get the points.

JesusIsTehCool fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 5, 2013

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...
A couple questions; Firstly, the themed group thing does not give points, it only enters you into a draw for prizes, correct?

Secondly, does sculpting bionics count for this month's Detektuv's Jurnal? I found the model I'd planned on doing the jurnal on was already pretty battlescarred so I'm probably going to have to add atleast one model to the oath regardless, and I've got my counts-as Helbrecht waiting to have his arm sculpted anyway.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Khadhul posted:

A couple questions; Firstly, the themed group thing does not give points, it only enters you into a draw for prizes, correct?

Secondly, does sculpting bionics count for this month's Detektuv's Jurnal? I found the model I'd planned on doing the jurnal on was already pretty battlescarred so I'm probably going to have to add atleast one model to the oath regardless, and I've got my counts-as Helbrecht waiting to have his arm sculpted anyway.

1 - correct
2 - save the model you're planning to do sculpting on and do some battle damage on something else :shh:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

I think given the intent of the prize, and the additional work, I'm in favor of the rules as they're currently written. If you want to do a themed group, it's a bit more effort because you have to get enough models painted in a single month/Oath. That extra effort gets you eligibility for a prize. Let's stick with that unless there's a compelling reason to change it.

Agreed. I'm gonna stick with that ruling.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Aw yeah a double brush! Can't wait to try that out!

Wet...blending?

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...
I, Mmtheblue, Oath to paint 5 Space Marines and 5 Ork Nobz, by Games Workshop.

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.
I, Haydrian, do oath a pack of dirty grots, plus the requisite Runtherd, for June
edit: Games Workshop models, I guess this is a Thing that we're doing now?

There's actually one missing from the herd, he got promoted to Oiler 2'nd Class on the OrKamino last year. He's got big plans, he's moving up in the world!

Haydrian fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 6, 2013

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Hey guys, guess what?
:mensch:JUDGE~MENT!:mensch:

1 Point: Enri!

Welcome back, buddy. Your absence has clearly not dulled your skills; clean colors, engaging range of hues--really, you nailed all the fundamentals, and when you get the basics down perfect, it really forces everything up a few notches. I'm not sure if it's just the photos, but everything does seem a little waxy; great for the skin, not so much for the rocky nodules. But, it doesn't stop me from enjoying the solid job you have here. Very nicely done.

2 Points: Slimnoid!

Huge stompa model that is well done is always a good start, but what really got me was the smaller guys. I've seen these guys before, and a lot of people do right by the models in various ways. You, however, painted them in a way that tells me a story about three little impish creatures that are likely far more dangerous than they are adorable. Back them up with a loving terrorbear that you looked at and said "how can I make this thing even more horrifying OH I KNOW I'll make it's open guts look like the smile it's wearing!" Artistic creativity aside, these are just phenomenally painted, and proof that big or small, you can do them all.

3 Points: Germ!

loving hell man, way to start your oathing carrier! It's one thing to go through the trouble to do the golds with that process you went through, which came out looking fantastic, but to pair it up with a mottled, stony turquoise just nails the Necron pseudo-Egyptian theme. It's different, it's great looking; artistically, it speaks volumes, which really blew me away.

Super Cool Gal's Point: Namenlos!

I noticed when you first started oathing that when the theme was NMM, you went big. While I did not find the results to be as impressive as they could have been, you impressed me with the effort involved. In the months following that, you did several other NMM; you stuck with it, and you got better--way better. And now, I see a whole chrome tank, and we come full circle. I can, without hesitation, say I am impressed all around. This is one of the better usages of chrome NMM I have seen by any painter, professional or amateur. My only critique is that the "ground" sections could use a little variety in shades. At present, it looks like the tank is parked atop a field of green felt--having said that, it didn't bother me enough to not laud your efforts. You get this month's Super Cool Person's Point(tm) because you, more than anyone, stick with what you like, and you work hard to make it look good. And that, deserves praise.

Special Mentions: Too many to mention. :v: seriously, there are a lot of people that I still want to give points to, there's just that much awesome being thrown around. All I can say is that this year, the competition will be insanely close and intensely fierce.

Now, onto business:

Haydrian posted:

I, Haydrian, do oath a pack of dirty grots, plus the requisite Runtherd, for June edit: Games Workshop models, I guess this is a Thing that we're doing now?

ineptmule posted:

make my new oath! I oath 9 stands of 15mm miniatures and one piece of 15mm terrain. There are 5 stands of rough-looking militia and 4 fallout-style super mutants which each have their own base. These miniatures are from Khurasan.
I am also going to SAVE DA WHALES on my May oath, which is really close to being completed:

Pash posted:

I, Pash, Oath to paint in the month of June 5 GW Sanguinary Guard and 2 Foundry Men at Arms (which I have learned are just 3rd edition GW Bretonnian Foot Knights)

Aix Athanatos posted:

I, Aix Athanatos, do hereby oath 1 Order Sergeant w/Spitfire, 1 Crusader Brethren w/HMG, and 1 Knight of the Holy Sepulchre. from Corvus Belli

YF19pilot posted:

Making an Oath Addition of 1 Rasputina, 3 Ice Gamin, and 1 Ice Golem from Wyrd Miniature's Malifaux

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I JesusIsTehCool Oath this Games Workshop Vindicator for the month of June!

Mmtheblue posted:

I, Mmtheblue, Oath to paint 5 Space Marines and 5 Ork Nobz, by Games Workshop.

Accepted.

Leperflesh posted:

Sorry... I know Sole Sushi already approved this, but this is not a valid entry for Saving da Whales.

Absolutely correct: the acceptance was to quote/validate the Toxx, so that we have record of it. I could have made that more clear, however. :v:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Battle damage you say, I just finished raiding my parents attic for my old models, and have something that may well be perfect.

I Grey Hunter, Oath 11 Imperial Guardsmen, By games workshop (Circa 1989/1994)

These are freshly stripped models, and apparently my superglue efforts of the late eighties have made some paint impossible to remove. I'm also going to be doing a conversion for the battle damage.

I am also claiming the Sins of my youth bonus, this is made up personal thing that gains me 0 points, but 100 self esteem points. These are from my childhood, I was about ten when I painted these the first time, and I need to atone for this. Luckily, I'm a packrat, and found a load of arms and weapons that go with these guys.

I've added a Canadan weapon team to bulk up the squad, as it seems GW moved from British 8 men sections to the US style 10 man squad - most likely to sell 2 extra models. If you thought the paint scheme on the last lot was bad, look what pre-teen me did to these guys.....

I have no idea what kind of planet these morons came from that that would be considered acceptable camouflage.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I've just finished the Speed Painting bonus on one of my Genestealers!

Start:

Finish:

Huzzah, only five more of those to go, plus that battle-damaged Ork.... Here are a few more pics from different angles.

Also, before I forget:

Leperflesh posted:

Congratulations to all the winners!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Sole.Sushi posted:

1 Point: Enri!
Welcome back, buddy. Your absence has clearly not dulled your skills; clean colors, engaging range of hues--really, you nailed all the fundamentals, and when you get the basics down perfect, it really forces everything up a few notches. I'm not sure if it's just the photos, but everything does seem a little waxy; great for the skin, not so much for the rocky nodules. But, it doesn't stop me from enjoying the solid job you have here. Very nicely done.

:allears:

This has made my morning, thank you :) and yes, it's not just the photo, there is a bit of a sheen to the paint on there that I'm not massively happy with, thanks in part to some of the older paints I was using. I think a quick going over with a matte varnish would do the trick but I don't have any to hand (and am eternally petrified of getting that frosted look on a model I've slaved hours over :ohdear:)

I never managed to get judged higher than a special mention from PaintVagrant before now, so this has got me feeling really energised to keep pluggin away at my painting and try to up my game as much as possible! :) (very apt given a recent decision to curtail my gaming and focus on painting and modelling!)

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
How awesome! I won something! :dance:

How do I go about claiming my prize krushgroove?

Also congratulations to the winners.

EDIT: To celebrate I found a Necromunda van Saar ganger I painted up when I was 12 or something.

:pwn:

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

TheBlobThing posted:

How awesome! I won something! :dance:

How do I go about claiming my prize krushgroove?

Also congratulations to the winners.

Have a look at the Troll Trader prizes in the OP then PM or email me at krushgroove169 @gmail.com!

• Locked thread