Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

nerdbot posted:

There IS a lot of really funny stuff on Miiverse, clueless kids are just fun, charming and often pretty cute. I love seeing the little 7-year-old drawings now and then. I just wish it felt more like people were laughing with them, not at them, you know?

E: Playing through the beginning of Super Metroid for the first time, I easily saw why kids would get stuck. Brief moments of confusion that passed in a few seconds are torturous moments of banging your head against the proverbial brick wall and hoping it breaks for a kid. I know when I was that age, even when I was 99.9% sure I couldn't get to an area in a video game until later, I would try anyway. I spent so many hours trying to fly Tails over the fence that blocks the entrance to Emerald Coast in Sonic Adventure. If the Dreamcast had a Miiverse equivalent I would've been screaming about that. (Incidentally, it was a moment of great personal triumph when I found out that there is a glitch to get Tails around that invisible wall.)

When I played Super Metroid for the first time a few years ago there were a bunch of places I got stuck in, big offenders of course being the Run button and the tube you have to power bomb.

Of course now I'm still getting stuck on old video games, like the third dungeon of Oracle of seasons :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pixeltendo posted:

When I played Super Metroid for the first time a few years ago there were a bunch of places I got stuck in, big offenders of course being the Run button and the tube you have to power bomb.

Of course now I'm still getting stuck on old video games, like the third dungeon of Oracle of seasons :negative:

First time I played Metroid I had no idea how to use the morph ball, that's why the "why can't metroid crawl?" guy kinda resonated with me.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Pixeltendo posted:

I got stuck on that dungeon back in 200X when I first played it. Finally tried again a few years later and figured it out.

I'd kill to have General Onox appear in the Wii U Zelda with shiny normal mapped armor.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Crowbear posted:

That is super optimistic. The big rear end billboard they put up in LA to announce the release date only has Sony and Microsoft logos on it, and there has been absolutely no news of a Wii U version.

It could still happen of course but there's been no indication of it so far.

Also what does Level 5 have to do with anything?

could be a pretty slick e3 announcement. I don't see a decent reason why *not* other than they feel they can't get their money back on the sku, which generally speaking isn't a ton of extra money if development is concurrent with the other versions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pixeltendo posted:

I just actually played all the way through SM for the first time (yeah I know, feel free to laugh at me) and ran into the exact same problems. The few times I cheated and looked at walkthroughs I didn't even feel guilty because it was stuff that the game didn't explain at all. There is no way I would have ever beat that game as a kid. I just didn't have the patience.

Now I am playing through the first Prime and it is somehow even more obtuse. At least it explains the game mechanics though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 5, 2013

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
There's another room which is the glass tube room but already blown up. I think thats supposed to be a natural hint, but most people won't recognize the relation between the two rooms.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

elf help book posted:

There's another room which is the glass tube room but already blown up. I think thats supposed to be a natural hint, but most people won't recognize the relation between the two rooms.

For some reason it didn't register for me that it was a blown up glass tube in the other room until after I blew it up, but that might just be on me.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

njsykora posted:

First time I played Metroid I had no idea how to use the morph ball, that's why the "why can't metroid crawl?" guy kinda resonated with me.

Metroid I can understand unless you had the manual. But in Super Metroid, you got a little window that told you what to do for most active use items down to what button to press. I find that inexcusable. God help these people if they find the helper animals and can't figure out what they're trying to do. :negative:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

For some reason it didn't register for me that it was a blown up glass tube in the other room until after I blew it up, but that might just be on me.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I think it's intended to be a hint but it doesn't work.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Metroid I can understand unless you had the manual. But in Super Metroid, you got a little window that told you what to do for most active use items down to what button to press. I find that inexcusable. God help these people if they find the helper animals and can't figure out what they're trying to do. :negative:

Super Metroid doesn't do that for the morph ball, so I'd still have the same problem.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
That mega-bomb tube was the one part in Super Metroid that I needed a FAQ for :saddowns: (I played it a few years late, so we had family internet by then).

There probably should've been a few other rooms with random glass things in the background, that would visibly break when you used megabombs... that'd be more fair I think. Or like little glass cases that could break and release enemies. It always bugged me that the glass-breaking mechanic was in one room exclusively (and necessary to progress in the game).

elf help book posted:

That's good at least. I never caught that!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 5, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Clearly you guys never mastered the art of mashing all the buttons until you figure out how poo poo works

Also you can look at the config screen to see the Run button.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

njsykora posted:

Super Metroid doesn't do that for the morph ball, so I'd still have the same problem.

It also doesn't even tell you that shinespark exists which would have been nice to know 4 hours before I accidentally did it.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

NESguerilla posted:

It also doesn't even tell you that shinespark exists which would have been nice to know 4 hours before I accidentally did it.
Wait, didn't a helper animal show you how to shine spark?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

njsykora posted:

Then that brings us to the next part of the issue here, experimentation. Between the Miiverse posts I've seen for Super Metroid and Mega Man X. These players don't experiment. How did I learn that I could stick to the walls in Mega Man X? I tried jumping toward the wall while still holding the d-pad. How did I get past the point with the blocks after you get the bombs in Super Metroid? I used the bombs I just got.

This generation is spoon-fed on button prompts. :colbert:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Then that brings us to the next part of the issue here, experimentation. Between the Miiverse posts I've seen for Super Metroid and Mega Man X. These players don't experiment. How did I learn that I could stick to the walls in Mega Man X? I tried jumping toward the wall while still holding the d-pad. How did I get past the point with the blocks after you get the bombs in Super Metroid? I used the bombs I just got.

This generation is spoon-fed on button prompts. :colbert:
And if you were stuck on a problem you'd have to wait for the next issue of Nintendo Power, Gamepro, Ultra Game Players or EGM for pro tips if none of your friends knew how to do things. These kids don't try experimenting in games and instantly go to Miiverse or back to Halo, they don't even google first :argh:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

I am eccstatic about the day Sonic 3 comes out on Wii U. The barrel on Miiverse that day will be worth the price of a Wii U alone. :allears:

Oh God, I completely forgot about that bit in Sonic 3 until you brought it up. :negative:

And yes I would be all over a Nintendo Miiverse reward system for helping kids out of a jam in games. It'd be really fun helping them out and getting something minor but special for it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

deafmute posted:

And if you were stuck on a problem you'd have to wait for the next issue of Nintendo Power, Gamepro, Ultra Game Players or EGM for pro tips if none of your friends knew how to do things. These kids don't try experimenting in games and instantly go to Miiverse or back to Halo, they don't even google first :argh:

Well, I can't really complain about the Miiverse because it is fulfilling a use that Nintendo intended it for, but yeah.

Also:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

elf help book posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I think it's intended to be a hint but it doesn't work.
When I play Metroid I've generally found that if all else fails, use a Super Bomb.

Or, if you know there are enemies that drop them near by, Super Bomb first and ask questions later.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

deafmute posted:

I used to write to Nintendo Power for game tips when I was a kid, and got stuck in a game. I sent two separate letters about Link's Awakening alone, because when I was 7 or 8 I couldn't figure out how to beat the boss in the 5th dungeon, and I didn't know how to get through the 6th dungeon before getting the upgrade to the Power Bracelet.

Then, when I was a little older, I learned about the map glitch and sequence break'ed the gently caress out of that game. I still wish I had my old GB cart of Link's Awakening, because they took that awesome glitch out of the DX version.

I think we're pretty lucky, being in the, I assume, 25+ age range, because gaming sort of grew up with us. Games were pretty simple when we were kids, and then got more sophisticated at about the same pace as we became more mature. Playing some of the old RPGs on the NES or the original Game Boy now, and the NPC conversations are so juvenile, but they only had so much memory for loving text, of all things, so of course the language was going to be simple.

And hell, talk about another stuck, I couldn't get out of the first room in the first Dragon Warrior. I didn't know you had to stand ON the chest, not in front of it, to open it, because when I watched my dad play Final Fantasy (with only one save, I wasn't allowed to touch it) you stood in front of chests to open them. I wasted an entire 2 day rental of Dragon Warrior just getting angry, and then getting in trouble for getting angry at a video game. :eng99:

I'd have been all over Miiverse if it existed when I was little.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Pixeltendo posted:

Hey, there is some dumb bullshit in Oracle of Seasons. Don't feel bad. But yeah, I've never made it all the way through Super Metroid and just get lost without a guide. So I think we just all had infinite patience for this kind of thing when we were kids. I mean, people complain about the AI in Mario Kart games now, but you could see the game warping racers near you in Super Mario Kart

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

punchdaily posted:

Hey, there is some dumb bullshit in Oracle of Seasons. Don't feel bad. But yeah, I've never made it all the way through Super Metroid and just get lost without a guide. So I think we just all had infinite patience for this kind of thing when we were kids. I mean, people complain about the AI in Mario Kart games now, but you could see the game warping racers near you in Super Mario Kart

It's also an issue of other available games, we persevered with the bullshit we were dealt as kids because those were the only games we had. Whereas now if a game's frustrating you it's easy to go off to the internet and find something else to play, be it a flash game, a free indie game, a F2P MMO or a 99p iOS game. They don't have to put up with a game that's frustrating and not fun to them.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Shelf Adventure posted:

Wouldn't that be pretty much the definition of a nostalgia game?

Yeah that was my depressing point to be made about the nintendo E3 Conference.
No real new IPS just recycled garbage.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Al Borland posted:

that depends on what you define as real new IPS because we just got one called Harmoknight

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Pixeltendo posted:

that depends on what you define as real new IPS because we just got one called Harmoknight

I dunno about harmoknight, it's a terrible wordplay on the word Harmony. However if it's just about a knight going around harming people I could be down with that. Like some weird mixture of Katamari, Saints Row, Monster Hunter, and Dark/Demon Souls.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

WendigoJohnson posted:

I dunno about harmoknight, it's a terrible wordplay on the word Harmony...

It's a crossover of Dark Souls and Elite Beat Agents.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Al Borland posted:

Well maybe you should have supported Starfy mister!

Also Nintendo does come out with new IPs they just tend to come from their sister developers and Nintendo publishes it. One of the most successful new franchises in the last five years has been Professor Layton.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

WendigoJohnson posted:

I dunno about harmoknight, it's a terrible wordplay on the word Harmony. However if it's just about a knight going around harming people I could be down with that. Like some weird mixture of Katamari, Saints Row, Monster Hunter, and Dark/Demon Souls.

The closest thing I can think of is Bit Trip runner. Also the demo had a Pokemon stage so I know it owns.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

elf help book posted:

They should, and then maybe you could ask your friends for help, or Miiverse. Could be fun.
I think Miyamoto talked about that happening with the original Zelda, like friends helped each other out to get through it, so I'm hoping they design stuff with Miiverse interaction like that in mind. Not that they have to be obtuse or anything, but it should at least let them be much less heavy handed about instructions.

And I might laugh at them here but I'd help them out on Miiverse :colbert:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

japtor posted:

I think Miyamoto talked about that happening with the original Zelda, like friends helped each other out to get through it, so I'm hoping they design stuff with Miiverse interaction like that in mind. Not that they have to be obtuse or anything, but it should at least let them be much less heavy handed about instructions.

And I might laugh at them here but I'd help them out on Miiverse :colbert:

I think someone here brought up the idea of NPCs that speak in Miiverse posts. So basically a dude that speaks in player-created hints, questions, and dick drawings. I like it!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

This was actually my first time playing all the way through Super Metroid and I did ask my friends about some things. I was a bit ashamed but in the end I think it made it more fun for me and it was fun for them to help me.

After I beat it, one of them streamed getting 100% as fast as he could.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

elf help book posted:

After I beat it, one of them streamed getting 100% as fast as he could.

I really hope this gets patched in as a Miiverse feature. PS4 and Xbone are gonna both have their own recording/streaming options, and it seems like the kind of action Nintendo should totally get in on.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Gutcruncher posted:

I really hope this gets patched in as a Miiverse feature. PS4 and Xbone are gonna both have their own recording/streaming options, and it seems like the kind of action Nintendo should totally get in on.

I don't think they can do that, software-based video encoding would take a large chunk of CPU power that current games probably already u--

Hang on, they're already encoding video for the Gamepad. Yeah, I guess it would be possible to use that for internet streaming, too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Al Borland posted:

So are you just ignoring all the new IPs that Nintendo either publishes or helps to push at this point?

Generally it seems like whenever Nintendo puts out a new IP it tends to not count because it's a puzzle game/sports game/weird rhythm game/basically any genre that isn't 'real.' It's kind of weird. I can think of a bunch of new IPs they've created in the past 5 years just off the top of my head but that's probably not enough!

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 5, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I don't think they can do that, software-based video encoding would take a large chunk of CPU power that current games probably already u--

Hang on, they're already encoding video for the Gamepad. Yeah, I guess it would be possible to use that for internet streaming, too.

I suppose certain games could potentially allow it, provided it doesnt actually need two screens for stuff and can just shut one off.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

I suppose certain games could potentially allow it, provided it doesnt actually need two screens for stuff and can just shut one off.

If it's already done the image compression then sending the video data to a second destination isn't really significantly more intensive than sending it to the first.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Random Stranger posted:

If it's already done the image compression then sending the video data to a second destination isn't really significantly more intensive than sending it to the first.

Video quality would be awful though

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Bland posted:

Video quality would be awful though

I doubt many people have the internets to stream 1080p

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Long John Power posted:

I doubt many people have the internets to stream 1080p

You'd be surprised, in a few months the slowest data tier Verizon FiOS will be offering is 50/25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

njsykora posted:

The feel good story of the summer. Also a brief skim over the Super Metroid community says that most people get stuck after getting the high jump boots but people do post and point people in the right direction. It just irks me when I see these mocking posts of people getting stuck and there are no comments on the post because chances are the people screencapping them aren't going back and telling people what they need to know afterwards.

To be honest, once you get the high jump the map doesn't even guide you in the right direction. Everything before and after that point is fantastic at guiding you in a general direction without telling you a thing, but after the high jump boots you can wind up in a really hosed part of the game and skip the varia suit completely, which can lead to trouble if you're not a pro speed runner.

The game pretty much expects you to start morph bombing every wall until you find something which, again, can lead you in a very terrible direction.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 6, 2013

• Locked thread