Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

April posted:

I've had a few that are repeatedly late, some that are late once and never again, and so far, 2 charge-offs and one default that is likely to end up as a charge off. Here's my current note situation:

So the number of "bad notes" is still a pretty small percentage of the total. Assuming a total of 7 charge-offs (all current late/default/charged off), I will have lost $175. But here's what I've made so far in payments:

My monthly income right now is $408.55. I've slowed down a bit on my buying, due to other unforeseen expenses, but I am still adding notes every couple of weeks. Charge-offs suck hard, but it seems like it's happening on less than 1.5% of my portfolio.

What is the average age of loans on your account? That seems like a pretty young account based on those numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

April
Jul 3, 2006

quote:

What is the average age of loans on your account? That seems like a pretty young account based on those numbers.

I bought my first notes in November of 2011, so a few of them are about 1.5 years old. I started buying several every month in June of last year, so the majority of them are less than a year, and probably the greatest chunk are less than 6 months.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Anyone who received a 1099-OID from LendingClub for tax year 2012.. how annoying was it to account for tax wise? For example, does H&R Block/Tax Cut/whomever have a simple input for that just like a 1099-Int or is it more complex?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ha, wait'll you need to write off your losses :cthulhu:

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

slap me silly posted:

Ha, wait'll you need to write off your losses :cthulhu:

Based on the prospectus its a capital loss?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Did mine on TurboTax and the OID part was easy. I fortunately only had one loan go bad but I entered that in as a bad personal or business loan, something like that.

This itself was a pain for the $19 capital loss but the biggest concern is if you are a big investor you can only realize $3,000 in capital losses per year. If you have a lot invested and have a high percentage of loans go bad (but still have a good return due to investing in a lot of D-E-F loans) you could be in the position of owing your marginal tax rate on your gains (good loans) and then not being able to deduct all of your losses resulting in a net loss from the operation.

I'm not a tax expert but that seems to be the biggest draw back from investing too much in the platform. The IRS is yet to provide any guidance for P2P specifically but it seems like the general consensus is what I wrote above. Some people with big investments are pissed when they realize they can't just pay taxes on the sum of (gains-losses).

e: You can carry your losses into future years but if you're a big investor you'll likely rack up losses over $3k every year going forward.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Saint Fu posted:

Did mine on TurboTax and the OID part was easy. I fortunately only had one loan go bad but I entered that in as a bad personal or business loan, something like that.

This itself was a pain for the $19 capital loss but the biggest concern is if you are a big investor you can only realize $3,000 in capital losses per year. If you have a lot invested and have a high percentage of loans go bad (but still have a good return due to investing in a lot of D-E-F loans) you could be in the position of owing your marginal tax rate on your gains (good loans) and then not being able to deduct all of your losses resulting in a net loss from the operation.

I'm not a tax expert but that seems to be the biggest draw back from investing too much in the platform. The IRS is yet to provide any guidance for P2P specifically but it seems like the general consensus is what I wrote above. Some people with big investments are pissed when they realize they can't just pay taxes on the sum of (gains-losses).

e: You can carry your losses into future years but if you're a big investor you'll likely rack up losses over $3k every year going forward.

You have a misunderstanding of how that works. You can only realize $3,000 in capital losses in *excess* of your capital gains. Any capital losses offset any capital gains into infinity- its once your losses have passed your gain, you can only write off $3k against your normal income. The rest must be carried forward

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Again I'm no expert but that would mean you need to realize $3k in capital gains first right? I don't think the OID gains from the P2P notes can be considered capital gains.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

You're correct- the OID is recognized as ordinary income. However, greasyhands brings up two good points that 1) you may have capital gains to deduct against from other sources (selling shares of stocks, house sale, etc) and 2) those capital losses in excess of the $3k deduction cap are indeed carried forward. So basically, those capital losses still aren't the most beneficial way to be recognizing losses but its not all bad

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
OK I'm with you. This seems like a good reason not to get too heavily invested in this type of investment. For small timers like us, it likely doesn't matter but if you're up in the 5 or 6 figures and investing in low grade loans (which is a popular strategy since low grade notes with high borrower income seem to have consistently been the best performing loans), you are almost certainly going to have a lot of defaults. Sure you can carry the excess losses forward but you'd need equally large capital gains to avoid carrying over additional losses every year.

As a long term investor, I do not expect to realize capital gains every year and so I have the incentive to keep defaults below the $3k threshold. I don't want to start carrying over more and more capital losses which I may never get to apply to realized capital gains, I guess until I retire or something. I suppose it's not worth worrying about when my total account is only $4k, just something I hadn't considered originally.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I've been following this thread for a few months and with a decent bonus and tax return this spring I decided to throw some money at it. I kind of wish there was more income verification on most of these. And how some of them get funded just boggles my mind. There was one where the description was like "I'm using this loan to cover my other lending club loan and also new credit cards" at like 80% funded, even with a few delinquencies.

Anyhoo it seems less risky than stocks or online poker and I like vetting loans so I'm pretty happy with it so far.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I think a lot of the institutional investors just run filters without reading the comments. It seems like monthly income is the most important stat for them despite not being verified. It's pretty common to find $35,000 loans funded to 80% with less than 10 lenders when the income is over $10k/mo.

Dazzleberries
Jul 4, 2003

Saint Fu posted:

I think a lot of the institutional investors just run filters without reading the comments. It seems like monthly income is the most important stat for them despite not being verified. It's pretty common to find $35,000 loans funded to 80% with less than 10 lenders when the income is over $10k/mo.

I didn't look at the descriptions much beyond my filters because people can say anything they want. If you filter out the people with public records, delinquincies, super high DTI etc, I don't care why they want the money.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I agree and basically do the same. I used to read the comments and if they were well written and seemed somewhat intelligent then I'd favor them over AOL speak. I guess I still do if I take the time to actually read the comments but more often than not I trust the filters.

On the other hand, I just had my second default and looking back on the comments they were completely retarded and I definitely shouldn't have invested.

Dazzleberries
Jul 4, 2003

Saint Fu posted:

I agree and basically do the same. I used to read the comments and if they were well written and seemed somewhat intelligent then I'd favor them over AOL speak. I guess I still do if I take the time to actually read the comments but more often than not I trust the filters.

On the other hand, I just had my second default and looking back on the comments they were completely retarded and I definitely shouldn't have invested.

The title is like the last filter for me. Once I've applied my normal filter and have a smaller subset, I will definitely avoid people who can't put together even the title and yet want 35k.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

Saint Fu posted:

Instituional investors get involved in peer lending?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Yeah it's a big complaint among small investors because the institutionals come in and suck up all the "good" loans before small investors can get to them. They run algorithms to continuously check for new loans and invest in them automatically. It was a big enough issue that LendingClub made a rule that no single investor could invest more than something like 80% of a single loan. You still have $35k loans being completely funded by less than 10 investors though.

Of course this assumes that they actually know what the "good" loans are. Still there is a general consensus on a few key filtering criteria which are most important. To be honest, I don't know why the rates are still as high as they are because it seems like lately there is more demand for loans to be funded than people applying for loans.

xdirtypinkox
Aug 12, 2004

And it gets easier as I pass the Edward Scissorhands village where privileged white kids date rape girls and taunt me in their SUV's.
Just signed up but since I currently reside in Arkansas I can only participate in Foliofn. Kind of a bummer. :(

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

With stocks looking expensive, this seemed like an attractive place to invest so I opened up a LendingClub account last night.

So far, I've only invested ~1/5th of the money I've put in, just because there weren't enough available loans to meet my standards. How often do more come in? I noticed some new ones this morning, so it can't be that infrequently, but are they processed daily in batch? Real-time? Anyone know?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Dr. Eldarion posted:

With stocks looking expensive, this seemed like an attractive place to invest so I opened up a LendingClub account last night.

So far, I've only invested ~1/5th of the money I've put in, just because there weren't enough available loans to meet my standards. How often do more come in? I noticed some new ones this morning, so it can't be that infrequently, but are they processed daily in batch? Real-time? Anyone know?

I ran into the same thing, I usually check it every few days or so and there's usually a new batch of loans to pick through. Checking it every day and doing a "days left" sort would probably work as well and only take five minutes.

Dazzleberries
Jul 4, 2003

Dr. Eldarion posted:

It's like 4 times a day, I believe their website lists the times. The largest batch I guess is at 6 AM PST.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Dazzleberries posted:

It's like 4 times a day, I believe their website lists the times. The largest batch I guess is at 6 AM PST.

I'm having trouble finding this on their website. If someone could find these times, it would save me (and I'm sure others) lots of effort of checking their website throughout the day.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Nifty posted:

I'm having trouble finding this on their website. If someone could find these times, it would save me (and I'm sure others) lots of effort of checking their website throughout the day.

Not from LC's website, but...

http://www.lendacademy.com/lending-club-loans-being-snapped-up-quickly/

quote:

As many investors know Lending Club adds loans to their platform in batches at 6am, 10am, 2pm and 6pm (Pacific time) every day. You can see these spikes in both graphs. The 6am addition is usually the largest as you can see but it also generates the most investment activity.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Thanks. Also includes the comment "Note that Times given are PST and that there are also two small additions of loans at 2 AM and 10 PM."

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I only invest in about 1-3 notes per week with the filters I have set up. Don't be discouraged, it takes a while to get a lump sum deposit invested completely. Better to be patient since you'll be owning these notes for 3-5 years. No need to rush, that's when you start buying bad notes.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Thanks, all. I'll keep checking back at the refresh times. I'm not in any hurry to throw my money away, but it's hard to get a feel for what the best notes look like if all the good ones are snatched up before you ever see them.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
At this point I'm checking several times a day and I'm not seeing any loans at all with verified incomes. I think the institutional money that uses the API are drinking our milkshake. :/

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

I thought I read somewhere that loans can get denied once it gets funded and it turns out the income listed is wrong. Who's to say if that gets checked for every loan though.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm a borrower as well as a lender and I had to verify my income by sending in my W-2 and 2 of my last pay stubs. This was after I was fully funded. I think I'm a B loan based on the interest rate.

It is pretty awesome. I just needed a short term loan and the best I could get outside of lending club was 30%. My 16% beats that hard.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'm a borrower as well as a lender and I had to verify my income by sending in my W-2 and 2 of my last pay stubs. This was after I was fully funded. I think I'm a B loan based on the interest rate.

It is pretty awesome. I just needed a short term loan and the best I could get outside of lending club was 30%. My 16% beats that hard.

Ha, cool that you can do both. I wonder if they frown upon taking a 20k loan with a low interest rate, and using it to fund higher interest loans? I know nothing about finance so it's probably dumb and risky.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Provided you have the means to make the payments on your 20k loan if all of your notes go tits-up I wouldn't think they'd have a problem; they're getting you coming and going.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Yea if you can afford the payments go for it, but it seems like a bad idea since the economy just isn't that great plus you can't pull your investment out early if you need it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Oh yeah, it's a terrible idea. I just don't think the company would bar it.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Some people call it blending (borrowing + lending) and it's basically just another form of leverage. The toughest part would be investing that big lump sum immediately without compromising on your lending standards/filters. I mentioned before but it takes me a while to invest relatively small amounts, I'd be stuck paying the monthlies on the borrowed loan while I wait for the interest on my lended notes to start trickling in.

April
Jul 3, 2006

I just realized I haven't updated in forever, so here I am!

Quick overview of my portfolio:

quote:

My Notes at-a-Glance (629)
In Funding 13
Issued & Current 590
Fully Paid 18
Late 16 - 30 Days 0
Late 31 - 120 Days 2
Default 1
Charged Off 5

The one that is in default status has made payments the last 2 months that are larger than their minimum ($0.69 & $0.70, original payment is $0.58), so I think they made some kind of payment arrangement to pay extra for a few months & get it current. Of the 2 that are over 30 days late, one is filing Chapter 13 bankruptcy. I don't know much about bankruptcy AT ALL. Does that mean that they will pay back some or all of the loan, on some kind of modified plan? Or will it be written off?

On the rest of them, I am still getting regular payments, and my payment history looks like this:

quote:

Payments to Date $2,759.61
Principal $1,847.39
Interest $912.22
Late Fees $0.00

Overall, I'm still very happy with LC. I found a couple more note-picking sites as well.

nickelsteamroller.com is free to use, but I'm not crazy about their interface.

p2p-picks.com has a fee structure based on how much you invest in the notes - 0.5% of whatever you spend (so about $0.13 on a $25 note). It's still in beta testing for a few more weeks, so it's free for now. What's interesting about this one is that the creator is claiming that he is using hedge fund strategies to pick notes. There are good reviews on sites like lendingacademy, so I'm playing with it now.

Still buying a few notes every month out of pocket and reinvesting all earnings.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

April posted:

I don't know much about bankruptcy AT ALL. Does that mean that they will pay back some or all of the loan, on some kind of modified plan? Or will it be written off?
I'm not an expert either but I can say that LC adds funds to your account once per quarter as a result of any collections made on defaulted loans. If you look at the loan performance page, there is a line for recoveries. I recently received $1.09 on a loan which defaulted with $19.01 principle remaining.

Have you used nickelsteamroller's portfolio analysis? It's kind of a better way to gauge how you're doing. You upload your "all notes" file from LendingClub and it spits out the following:

code:
Portfolio Name 	Total Investment 	Note Count 	Average Age (Days) 	Average Maturity Date 	Interest 	Estimated Loss 	Fees 	Weighted Return 	Term 36/60 	ROI
All Loans 	$5,325.00 		213 		290.94 			01/30/2016 		$475.06 	$75.47 		19.36 	15.88% 			165 / 48 	12.02%
It also breaks it down by year which I find very interesting:
code:
Portfolio Name 	Total Investment 	Note Count 	Average Age (Days) 	Average Maturity Date 	Interest 	Estimated Loss 	Fees 	Weighted Return 	Term 36/60 	ROI
2011 	        $1,100.00 	        44 	        663.66 	                08/11/2014 	        $176.93 	$19.01 	        $9.07   13.37% 	                44 / 0 	        11.08%
2012 	        $2,875.00 	        115 	        250.03 	                03/17/2016 	        $265.78 	$56.46 	        $9.11 	16.72% 	                88 / 27 	12.34%
2013 	        $1,350.00 	        54 	         74.37 	                12/31/2016 	        $32.34 	         $0.00 	        $1.19 	16.13% 	                33 / 21 	15.78%
It makes it easy to see how your ROI degrades over time as your notes get older (and presumably experience more defaults). Average age is really important when comparing different peoples ROI. You can see I can proudly say I'm making 15.78% on my notes from 2013 but I would definitely expect this value to drop over the next year+ into the 10-12% range. Still quite satisfactory for me but important to note nonetheless.

sg54
May 9, 2012
Signed up with $200 just to see what happens. This is probably beating a dead horse but drat is Lending Club slow to let me throw money at them. Three days to verify my account and now close to a week to transfer funds into the account.

Since I can't invest until the money gets transferred, I've been playing with the filters and I've come across a few loans that look like businesses asking for money - I could be wrong, but is that normal? I assumed it would be people trying to get their credit cards in order or someone trying to build that dream deck they've always wanted.

Hopefully early next week my money will appear so I can play :D

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Yeah it really takes forever for things to happen with LC. The worst part is waiting for the loans to issue. They'll be fully funded and sometimes sit there a week before they are issued. It's worst right when you start since you only have a few loans anyway. I set up weekly $25 contributions so I always have some loans waiting to be issued, I never really look at the "in funding" notes anymore.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So what do you guys think of borrowing money from the likes of LC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

For Australians interested in p2p, keep an eye on societyone.com.au. Currently only open to industry and sophisticated (1mil+ assets, 250k income) investors, but apparently later this year they plan to open up to retail investors.

They've got some pretty revolutionary phone-app stuff going on (on the borrowing side, haven't seen much about the lending interface), I guess time will tell whether that will make a difference in their popularity, but I'd be willing to bet it'll give them more of a shot than the other ones that seemed to have failed over the past few years (anyone know what exactly happened with iGrin?).

• Locked thread