Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho

Mr. Fowl posted:

You either get good at aiming for the center (with a slight adjustment for drop, I think the knives fall) or you get a weapon with a laser sight.
Or just aim any gun and bring the sights down, so long as you don't move the mouse or the target moves it'll stay centered. There is significant drop at long ranges but they are still laughably easy to aim compared to the ones in 2033 where they'd bounce off if you hit any kind of armor whatsoever.

Doniazade fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Not to mention that the knives are tipped with a vile cocktail of Spiderbug venom and Dark One ichor, making even grazing shots to the hand instantly lethal.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
Speaking of music, I thought Steven Wilson's The Raven That Refused To Sing was surprisingly applicable to Last Light's story. And, the music fits pretty drat well with the atmosphere of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8sLcvWG1M4

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I really want a mode that gives me Ranger's ammo scarcity and lethality, but leaves me the interface.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I really want a mode that gives me Ranger's ammo scarcity and lethality, but leaves me the interface.
Don't we all...

Anyway, has anyone answerwd whether or not te VSK is better than the Kalash 2012? It's confusing since it shows up later in the game.

Also, found out it's possible to beat big momma in only like 2 shots. She takes damage every time she charges through things like those columns or stone walls. If you can kite her into charging through every single one in her arena she's taken enough damage to go down with only 1 shot from a ashot. You can even get through the first part where she ambushes you without firing a single shot. Did this on Ranger Hardcore and it saved me soooo much ammunition.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Quick question regarding Last Light, which I'm installing on steam right now. Do I need to buy Ranger Mode to remove the HUD or is there an option in game that accomplishes the same thing?

(Sorry I don't want to google anything because I don't want anything spoiled)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think it's purchase only mate.

Also, I love the paranormal side of the Metro series, but I just got to the tunnel of loving grabbing hands what the screaming gently caress I think I actually yelled at this bit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Feeble posted:

Don't we all...

Anyway, has anyone answerwd whether or not te VSK is better than the Kalash 2012? It's confusing since it shows up later in the game.

I believe it has more damage per shot but slower ROF. Better for commandoing, less good for mass-murder.
(and of course it always has a silencer)

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
You can find a VSK with a suppressor, laser sight, and extended mag during the first segment of Letsnisky's men trying to corner you (it's right after the Ranger shop inside the train garage). It's being carried by one of the soldiers to the left of the train your walking on top of when they arrive. Once i got it, it stayed as my automatic weapon for the rest of the game (the Saiga is also awesome but better against mutants than human targets).

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

I think it's purchase only mate.

Thanks for the heads up. I was probably going to plunk down the five bucks anyway but now it looks like I have to :banjo:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

I believe it has more damage per shot but slower ROF. Better for commandoing, less good for mass-murder.
(and of course it always has a silencer)

Very little difference in ranger; the kalash 2012 kills with one head shot or maybe 2-3 body shots, so it's really just whatever you prefer as your AR.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

fennesz posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I was probably going to plunk down the five bucks anyway but now it looks like I have to :banjo:

I think it was pointed out somewhere in this thread you can enable it by editing a .cfg file or something

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone ever figured out what's up with nosalis taking less damage the more they show up? I just did the part right before Venice again, and again they go from dying in one hit to taking three or four ashot rounds or an entire clip of military grade rounds from the AKS on ranger, it's absurd. By the end of my normal playthrough it took almost eight shotgun shells to down a single one.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dogen posted:

I think it was pointed out somewhere in this thread you can enable it by editing a .cfg file or something

While we're at it: is there anyway to ever check your total ammunition, no not military grade rounds, if you're playing on Ranger mode? In Metro 2033 you could either hold T to check the time you had on your filter or bring up your lighter/notebook by holding M. Neither of these methods or checking the inventory screen with tab seem to work.

P.S. Last Light is impeccable thus far. I played through 2033 a hell of a lot and everything so far just feels so right.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 4, 2013

Mushball
May 23, 2012

fennesz posted:

While we're at it: is there anyway to ever check your total ammunition, no not military grade rounds, if you're playing on Ranger mode? In Metro 2033 you could either hold T to check the time you had on your filter or bring up your lighter/notebook by holding M. Neither of these methods or checking the inventory screen with tab seem to work.

P.S. Last Light is impeccable thus far. I played through 2033 a hell of a lot and everything so far just feels so right.

The only way you can check what is your ammo reserve is by hitting tab in a civilized zone, other than that it's up to you to determine how much ammo you have in reserve. The best thing you can do is note that Artyom won't pick up any more ammo when he hits his max capacity of that ammo type and from memory, he can carry up to about 180 dirty rounds, 57 shotgun shells, 42 revolver ammo, 46 steel balls, 17 bolts and 26 sniper rounds.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
I wrote a thing about Last Light's female characters and why Anna bothers me so much.

:nws: screenshots and spoilers inside.

http://ritalingamer.com/uncategorized/item/28-the-women-of-metro-last-light.html

I'm not normally the sort to get all up in arms about women in my vidya games, but seriously, Anna bothered me throughout the game. Combined with the monochrome depiction of women in other scenes, it really got under my skin.

What did you guys think about the female characters in Last Light? Who else had the same discomfort I did?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

I wrote a thing about Last Light's female characters and why Anna bothers me so much.

:nws: screenshots and spoilers inside.

http://ritalingamer.com/uncategorized/item/28-the-women-of-metro-last-light.html

I'm not normally the sort to get all up in arms about women in my vidya games, but seriously, Anna bothered me throughout the game. Combined with the monochrome depiction of women in other scenes, it really got under my skin.

What did you guys think about the female characters in Last Light? Who else had the same discomfort I did?

Going to agree with this. I had the benefit of knowing about how awkward things were before going into LL and was able to just ignore it as it showed up. However, the sex scene with Anna was just laughingly bad.

You make a good point with femPaval too, I suspect if the writers had tried to equalize the sexes the differences wouldn't have been so jarring.

Only thing we need now is a mod that changes the model of Anna and Paval and see if that theory holds water. :v:

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 4, 2013

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks for spoiling that for me.

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho
"Your location (SE) has been blacklisted."

What do you have against swedes :(

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

fennesz posted:

Thanks for spoiling that for me.

Of FFS. I knew I forgot something. So sorry! :doh:

If it's any consolation the spoiler barely has little to no bearing on the plot. Regardless, sorry once again. I usually don't forget spoiler tags.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

Of FFS. I knew I forgot something. So sorry! :doh:

If it's any consolation the spoiler barely has little to no bearing on the plot. Regardless, sorry once again. I usually don't forget spoiler tags.

No worries. I only read the first part of your post and instantly stopped reading when I learned about something I didn't already know. And of all the things to have spoiled it bothers me the least. I just figured you should add tags for anyone else.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

RBA Starblade posted:

Has anyone ever figured out what's up with nosalis taking less damage the more they show up? I just did the part right before Venice again, and again they go from dying in one hit to taking three or four ashot rounds or an entire clip of military grade rounds from the AKS on ranger, it's absurd. By the end of my normal playthrough it took almost eight shotgun shells to down a single one.

Yeah normal kind of sucks about this, although I didn't have the problem to that degree. And it wasn't progressive, it just seemed like some random nosalises in some locations were more hardy. Playing on ranger pretty much fixed this right up.

The thread title should be changed to "just play it on ranger mode"

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Dogen posted:

Yeah normal kind of sucks about this, although I didn't have the problem to that degree. And it wasn't progressive, it just seemed like some random nosalises in some locations were more hardy.

Dunno about LL, but in 2033 the silver-furred watchers are much hardier than their brown kindred.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Doniazade posted:

"Your location (DE) has been blacklisted."

What the hell.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dogen posted:

Yeah normal kind of sucks about this, although I didn't have the problem to that degree. And it wasn't progressive, it just seemed like some random nosalises in some locations were more hardy. Playing on ranger pretty much fixed this right up.

The thread title should be changed to "just play it on ranger mode"

I completely ran out of ammunition on several occasions when fighting mutants. Thank god I ran across a Tihar/Helsing or whatever it's called in this. It works just as well as a shotgun; the only trade off is incredible ammunition efficiency for the spread buckshot provides.

I'm nearly finished with the game I think and I have to say even though I had ridiculously high hopes for Last Light I'm completely blown away. All of the animations are fluid and beautiful, the environments are astonishingly detailed, the enemy AI is noticeably more robust and inventory management actually makes sense this time around. Hell, the game is even longer than I thought it would be to boot. I already know I'm going to have even more playthroughs of this than I did for 2033, sniper runs, SMG/pistol runs and I'm particularly looking forward to a pneumatic weapons only run right after I finish this one. Those ball bearings are so just satisfying :allears:

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Doniazade posted:

Sorry! After I was hacked a few months ago, my friend who helped me fix the site installed an over-zealous firewall that blocks the ferners :tinfoil: from accessing the site. I have to manually whitelist other countries and I apparently missed a few.

It should be accessible now.
If anyone else runs into this problem, PM me and I'll fix it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Since beating metro ll, I went straight into replaying stalker. Just want to say if you haven't picked up stalker since 2007, and crave more russian apocalypse after metro, it's definitely worth your time, even in 2013. Especially with the latest mods. I never played call of pripyat before and now that I'm totally immersed in it, I find it is strikingly good, even coming from metro. With the absolute nature mod, it is very good looking too, it is a lot like the swamp level in terms of aesthetics.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Is it just me or is the Valve kind of a piece of junk? I picked it up early on and noticed that it only seems to reliably oneshot mutants on the first mission. Any other time you still need to hit them in the head, which begs the question: why the hell am I supposed to use this thing?

Fantastic new trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Ja_OOc10k From the video description I doubt that it's advertising anything but who knows.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 5, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah on non-ranger it has that problem, and in ranger you can't really afford to devote a slot to it. Not much it can do that a 2x scope RPK can't. Not much call for long range sniping in the game as a whole.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The reason you use the Valve is because it's loving dope :rms:

(also Hardcore seems to do the same damage-scaling that Ranger does, I used it pretty effectively against bandits and communists there. Mutants just got autoshottied.)

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Sorry! After I was hacked a few months ago, my friend who helped me fix the site installed an over-zealous firewall that blocks the ferners :tinfoil: from accessing the site. I have to manually whitelist other countries and I apparently missed a few.

It should be accessible now.
If anyone else runs into this problem, PM me and I'll fix it.

No PM's here, but Romania is blocked too.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dogen posted:

Yeah on non-ranger it has that problem, and in ranger you can't really afford to devote a slot to it. Not much it can do that a 2x scope RPK can't. Not much call for long range sniping in the game as a whole.

Sniping has it's uses, they're just incredibly few and far between. I actually managed to kill several of the larger monsters on the Marshes level with a single Valve round. Although 95% of the time whatever a Valve can do a Tihar will do better and with all of the other advantages a pneumatic weapon brings.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

fennesz posted:

Fantastic new trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Ja_OOc10k From the video description I doubt that it's advertising anything but who knows.

One thing I don't get - the various trailers for the game, especially the live action ones, were fantastic and rich with emotional storylines. The makers of the game clearly had a motif of despair and a sense of the world they were building, plus a wealth of source material both in the novel and in the trailers, yet they barely skim the surface in the game itself.

I had a blast with the game, but it's a seriously missed opportunity. I wonder if we can chalk it up a rushed development/the collapse of THQ.
Or maybe a shooter is the wrong place to fully explore this world - I wonder what could be done if they brought the Metro verse to more of an open world RPG, like the Fallout series. That move would give them a lot more scope to focus on the world of the Metro and character relationships.

Mmmm, Metro: New Vegas. :circlefap:

Jut posted:

No PM's here, but Romania is blocked too.

Fixed.

Myoclonic Jerk fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 6, 2013

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
It wouldn't have to be fully open world but being able to be one of the Stalkers for a line of stations would be pretty cool, By day scavenge through the topside for all sorts of resources and by night you can defend the station, travel to a different station, or just blow all your hard earned cash at the titty bar.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Yeah, it'd be pretty cool to be a stalker for Hansa (the Ring Line), as Hansa citizens would have access to an extensive network of interconnected Hansa stations as well as unique access (as Metro dwellers go) to stations controlled by other factions (under the guise of an ordinary Hansa merchant).

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

They need to hurry up and get 2034 so I can read that. :colbert:

Edit: Actually that reminds me, what is everyones favourite thing about the Metro series? Mine has to be checking out the grisly remains of humanity from the after the end perspective. I remember reading in 2033 of Artyom being trapped inside a phonebox? I think? with notes scrawled from a girl who ended up being locked inside, dying of radiation poisoning and writing down what she saw until she died, one of which was the effects of the radiation, the second was a guy walking past on fire.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 6, 2013

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

One thing I don't get - the various trailers for the game, especially the live action ones, were fantastic and rich with emotional storylines. The makers of the game clearly had a motif of despair and a sense of the world they were building, plus a wealth of source material both in the novel and in the trailers, yet they barely skim the surface in the game itself.

I think you're wrong about how well they they translated the stuff in game, both games are grimy and dirty and sad and immersive as hell, more so than pretty much any other game. You get drawn in and really get a good look at all the different parts of the metro. It's a game all about the setting and the world.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm not very far into the game, I imagine, but Pavel, why? :qq: I thought we were bros. Now I'm sneaking through the Red base trying to track him down and find out his intel... is it weird that I had no issues slaughtering every Reich soldier I saw (except that one dude with the mutant baby that wanted to run away, I let him slide... Artyom has a heart :unsmith:), but for some reason, because of Pavel's bro-ness I can't bring myself to kill any of the Red Line guys? After walking through their station, buying poo poo form them, watching their show... I feel bad because they're not all bad guys, they're just trying to bring some sense to things.

Moskvin and Korbut are gonna get it, though. :black101:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

hopterque posted:

I think you're wrong about how well they they translated the stuff in game, both games are grimy and dirty and sad and immersive as hell, more so than pretty much any other game. You get drawn in and really get a good look at all the different parts of the metro. It's a game all about the setting and the world.

I honestly wish SquareEnixEidos had the money to just scrap the new Thief games entirely, have 4A Games learn everything about the story/world of Thief 1/2/3 and just have them make the fourth Thief title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

I had a blast with the game, but it's a seriously missed opportunity. I wonder if we can chalk it up a rushed development/the collapse of THQ.
Or maybe a shooter is the wrong place to fully explore this world - I wonder what could be done if they brought the Metro verse to more of an open world RPG, like the Fallout series. That move would give them a lot more scope to focus on the world of the Metro and character relationships.

Mmmm, Metro: New Vegas. :circlefap:

This was my hope for what we now know as Metro: Last Light right after I finished playing 2033. Pretty sure I made a post wishing for more or less what you just said, even. It would be insanely difficult for them to pull off and they don't have the a studio publisher backing them with enough of a budget for them to complete it. It's possible for a future release now that Last Light is getting some well deserved reviews and solid sales. 2033 was more or less just a cult favorite that was, for one reason or another, largely ignored by the public. It's actually pretty feasible given how Last Light ends. I'm not sure what ending is canon but Artyom fathers a son and he goes on to become a Stalker and explore more of the surface. Perhaps he'll track down the Dark Ones or attempt to find what became of Hunter, the man who started his fathers journey. I really hope the minds behind 2033 and Last Light are given even more funding and freedom to do what they want.

A sandbox game, even if it's only loosely done (like the STALKER series) would be absolutely impeccable. I shudder to think how many hours I'd lose to a future sandbox title set in the Metro universe.

Fuzz posted:

I'm not very far into the game, I imagine, but Pavel, why? :qq: I thought we were bros. Now I'm sneaking through the Red base trying to track him down and find out his intel... is it weird that I had no issues slaughtering every Reich soldier I saw (except that one dude with the mutant baby that wanted to run away, I let him slide... Artyom has a heart :unsmith:), but for some reason, because of Pavel's bro-ness I can't bring myself to kill any of the Red Line guys? After walking through their station, buying poo poo form them, watching their show... I feel bad because they're not all bad guys, they're just trying to bring some sense to things.

Moskvin and Korbut are gonna get it, though. :black101:

This is something Metro 2033 does just as well. Upon reaching a station overrun with Reich soldiers you're able to overhear a few conversations where soldiers want to desert but know their families will be punished if they do and others who question the brutal methods they use on a daily basis. They're just really easy to miss if you're not patient enough.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 6, 2013

• Locked thread