Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

LMD posted:

It definitely has the same air about it as the Dreamcast.

Getting the cold shoulder by third-party devs left right and centre.. it's got that 'stinky kid at the playground' type vibe about it.

The Wii U is Ralph Wiggum.

"Ms Hoover, I don't have a proper account system"
"Why not?"
"I ate it"

"The doctor said my sales wouldn't bleed so much if I kept my marketing team out of there"

"My New Super Mario Bros. U game smells like New Super Mario Bros Wii"

I could go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

"Why not?"
"I ate it"

"The doctor said my sales wouldn't bleed so much if I kept my marketing team out of there"

I could go on.

So you mean it will become inexplicably popular and eventually be elected president?

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
2016's going to be the first year an electronic device will be elected president.

And the beginning of the robot uprising.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

J Detan posted:

Well, there's the Original XBox to look at for that. That was largely off the shelf components. Are there figures on what it cost to make?

The price for PC parts has gone down massively since then, so I don't think it would be an effective comparison. You get a lot more for your money now than you did ten years ago- In 2005 I took my graduation money and went batshit on a new gaming computer and the parts cost was about 2k, I could do the same thing now and maybe hit $1000.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Snix posted:

2016's going to be the first year an electronic device will be elected president.

And the beginning of the robot uprising.

What about Cheney?

AngryCaterpillar posted:

"Why not?"
"I ate it"

I could go on.
"Miss Hoover, Pikmin 3 will be a system seller"
"WiiU, do you remember the time you said Indie developers would save your console?"
"They built me a fireplace simulator"

"Miss Hoover? I glued an iPad to my controller."

"Go partnerships!"
"Go accessible hardware!"

"Go MiiVerse!"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Benn playing Metroid Prime trilogy like a mofo lately and I would literally buy a Wii U for a new MP game with some cool tablet integration and some updated graphics. I know that won't happen though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if it's really the Zelda games that are console sellers. The Wii had a pretty timely release with Twilight Princess, which was released for both systems.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

I wonder if it's really the Zelda games that are console sellers. The Wii had a pretty timely release with Twilight Princess, which was released for both systems.

If that HD Zelda they showed a tech demo for existed I'd be more adamant about getting a Wii U.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Fulchrum posted:

"Miss Hoover, Pikmin 3 will be a system seller"
"WiiU, do you remember the time you said Indie developers would save your console?"
"They built me a fireplace simulator"

"Miss Hoover? I glued an iPad to my controller."

"Go partnerships!"
"Go accessible hardware!"

"Go MiiVerse!"

"What's an internet?"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

AngryCaterpillar posted:

"What's an internet?"

"And when the doctor told me I didn't have waggle anymore, it was the happiest day of my life"
"Thank you WiiU. Very graphic."

"How often do you get worthwhile games, WiiU?"
"3 times a month, sir."
"Why must you turn my office into a house of lies?"

"And here is a special award to the consoles who obviously didn't have any help from third parties, Playstation Vita and WiiU.
"(With a plastic bag that says "Hardcore" on it) I'm Hardcore!"
"Sure you are!"

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
"I'm a brick!"

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

NESguerilla posted:

Benn playing Metroid Prime trilogy like a mofo lately and I would literally buy a Wii U for a new MP game with some cool tablet integration and some updated graphics. I know that won't happen though.

Screw that. Give me Metroid Fusion U. Heck, put it in a physical case for all I care - it doesn't have to be WiiWare U (or whatever the f they are calling it). WiiUWare?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

LMD posted:

The Dreamcast was ahead of its time, it was more powerful than anyone else and had integrated broadband before anyone had broadband or knew what the gently caress to do with it.

The Wii U is exactly the opposite of the Dreamcast.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CapnAndy posted:

The Dreamcast was ahead of its time, it was more powerful than anyone else and had integrated broadband before anyone had broadband or knew what the gently caress to do with it.

The dreamcast was also pretty successful at launch, and there was a good amount of hype. I remember my friends renting them from some video chain that had an early rental program a good month or two before the DC came out, there were demo stations, all that. I didn't even know the WiiU was out until the beginning of this year.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
The Dreamcast was fantastic, it just wasn't enough to get Sega out of the hole they had dug for themselves with the 32X, Sega CD, and Saturn. If anything, the WiiU is Nintendo's 32X so far.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
You heard it here: Kolibri U announced.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

LMD posted:

Getting the cold shoulder by third-party devs left right and centre.. it's got that 'stinky kid at the playground' type vibe about it.

No it doesn't, the dreamcast had loads of games and the non linear features actually served a purpose with enhancing the base game(i.e. online play) with the exception of the VMU minigames(they were awful).

I mean geez play Tech Romancer, Rival Schools, Shenmue, or any of the other big titles for the system. The Dreamcast lasted two whole years in America before getting shut down and at this point it had way more games than the Wii-U. Not only that it had way more high quality exclusives than the Wii-U. You can also get the Japanese titles to run on a US dreamcast way way easier than the Wii-U.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really want to look back through 27 pages (plus all the discussion in threads before) but there've been multiple people who've either said it or implied it. The same goes for every system mind you, you see it in the X-Box One and PS4 threads too. Console fans get loving crazy.

Who? I mean, I've followed this thread since the start, and, at most, people have said a major failure could cause Nintendo to behave differently, but I don't take that to mean hope that Nintendo fails.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toady posted:

Who? I mean, I've followed this thread since the start, and, at most, people have said a major failure could cause Nintendo to behave differently, but I don't take that to mean hope that Nintendo fails.

For one just off the topic of my head, the topic creator flat-out said in another thread they only created this one because they have anti-Nintendo bias and enjoy talking about their failures. v:shobon:v

As I said, I don't want to go through 27 pages + a bunch of other threads to track down names. It's the same for every system on the planet. There are people who want it to fail entirely because of the name it has attached. Christ, I've seen people want Apple/Valve/ect to fail for no reason beyond the name branding. (Even if there are perfectly legitimate reasons to dislike all companies as well.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 5, 2013

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

The system was released on November 18, 2012 in North America, November 30, 2012 in Europe and Australia, and on December 8, 2012 in Japan.

I'm going to chime in and say this.

I read slickdeals every day. I'm not huge on Black Friday or Cyber Monday, but I'll move my rear end if there's an amazing deal out there.

Before I read OLIVIAS WILD RIDER's post, I thought it launched earlier this year. I don't remember reading anything about the Wii U during all of my deal hunting. The console didn't exist as a concept for me until maybe... April of this year, and that's only because of those godawful Hulu ads with fat families.

I personally think the Wii U is more like the Saturn, if anything. Needlessly overcomplicated, designed ignoring trends outside japan, and doomed to failure. Maybe if we're lucky the U will get some memorable games that we'll get nostalgic about.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 5, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I'm going to chime in and say this.

I read slickdeals every day. I'm not huge on Black Friday or Cyber Monday, but I'll move my rear end if there's an amazing deal out there.

Before I read OLIVIAS WILD RIDER's post, I thought it launched earlier this year. I don't remember reading anything about the Wii U during all of my deal hunting. The console didn't exist as a concept for me until maybe... April of this year, and that's only because of those godawful Hulu ads with fat families.

I personally think the Wii U is more like the Saturn, if anything. Needlessly overcomplicated, designed ignoring trends outside japan, and doomed to failure. Maybe if we're lucky the U will get some memorable games that we'll get nostalgic about.

I own a loving WiiU and I didn't realize it had been out that long. Nintendo's absolutely failed to keep it as an object of attention even to the people who already opted in. I have games I'm looking forward to but the most I've used it for is ZombiU and some old Wii games and that's a serious problem for a system which is rapidly approaching a year old.

Say what you want about the 3DS or the DS (both of which had weak starts) but I played both a lot more than my WiiU.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Wii U's more powerful than any other system right now, and will be for only its first year. Just like the Dreamcast. And then it'll be the lowest-end console of its generation, just like Dreamcast.

And no, you needed to buy a broadband adapter separately, but it only worked with a few games. It did come with a 56k modem, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ohnoitschris posted:

Wii U's more powerful than any other system right now, and will be for only its first year. Just like the Dreamcast.

At least with the Dreamcast you could unequivocally tell.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Rinkles posted:

Quite right... you'll never confuse a beautiful multiplatform game on Dreamcast to the same blurry game on N64 or grainy game on PSX.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Dreamcast games looked so much prettier than PS2 ones it wasn't funny :colbert:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

For one just off the topic of my head, the topic creator flat-out said in another thread they only created this one because they have anti-Nintendo bias and enjoy talking about their failures. v:shobon:v

As I said, I don't want to go through 27 pages + a bunch of other threads to track down names. It's the same for every system on the planet. There are people who want it to fail entirely because of the name it has attached. Christ, I've seen people want Apple/Valve/ect to fail for no reason beyond the name branding. (Even if there are perfectly legitimate reasons to dislike all companies as well.)

I know there are console warriors on the internet, but this thread has been pretty rational and interesting.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Hah, yup. Call of Duty: Blops 2 does run really well and looks great at 1080p, but that's the only example I really know to give. Ashens did a review on Wii U and mentioned a weird stuttering during the death scenes in Batman: Arkham City that wasn't in the 360 version. Other than that, they look the same. That's definitely not a good sign.

CapnAndy posted:

Well, for what it's worth, the big games on Dreamcast tended to have excellent graphic design. Jet Grind Radio and Sonic Adventure, graphics wise, are about the best aging games I've ever seen. You can't really say that about GTA San Andreas or RE4, even though those games are awesome.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 5, 2013

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I've always been curious about what could have been done with the Dreamcast if it had lasted long enough for devs to figure out ways around its limitations like they always do with mature consoles. Like, when the PS2 first launched I never would have guessed we'd have games that look as good as MGS3 or FFXII by the time developers were done squeezing every last drop of power from the machine.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

OatmealRaisin posted:

I've always been curious about what could have been done with the Dreamcast if it had lasted long enough for devs to figure out ways around its limitations like they always do with mature consoles. Like, when the PS2 first launched I never would have guessed we'd have games that look as good as MGS3 or FFXII by the time developers were done squeezing every last drop of power from the machine.

Look at Shenmue II and you'll start to get an idea.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Perfect Dark was insane too in terms of jimmy rigging the N64 to do weird crap it really shouldn't be able to.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

ohnoitschris posted:

Hah, yup. Call of Duty: Blops 2 does run really well and looks great at 1080p,

Despite Reggie's claims the Wii U version of Blops doesn't look any better than the 360 version. Also it renders at 880x720 like the 360 version, not at 1080p.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-wii-u-face-off

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

I think a general problem is that we are simply, collectively running out of great new ideas for games. Nintendo's strength was always to have great weird but functional games which took advantage of hardware, now they're running old ideas into the ground alongside some uninspired multiplatform FPS sports and racing titles.

Look at the indie games scene on steam. Even those small, relatively free developers are running out of truly original ideas beyond "platformer with gimmick", "another tower defense game", "overwrought story based adventure game", "another zombie game with weird graphics" and "complex sim/roguelike".

What's needed is a fresh return to basic genres instead of sequels, a game like Ni No Kuni was a masterstroke: basic gimmick-free RPG, only well crafted and high-selling. That's what they need.

I think this is a heavy case of rose-tinted glasses. I don't think their strength was ever to have "great weird" games, their strength was taking a genre and making the tightest, most user-friendly experience available. All of the 2D Marios after SMB were basically just revisions on that first game, the same goes for 3D Marios, 2D Zeldas, and 3D Zeldas. What was the last new franchise they used to push the envelope? Even Pikmin is a heavily-derivative take on the Lemmings concept.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

CapnAndy posted:

It was those awful, awful jaggies. The PS2 didn't support anti-aliasing, and graphics were at the point where it made a huge difference.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Crowbear posted:

Despite Reggie's claims the Wii U version of Blops doesn't look any better than the 360 version. Also it renders at 880x720 like the 360 version, not at 1080p.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-wii-u-face-off

Well gently caress me, I only have Blops 2 on Wii U and after renting the PS3 version, I thought the Wii U version looked better. Guess that makes me a confirmation bias victim.

Shibawanko posted:

I think a general problem is that we are simply, collectively running out of great new ideas for games. Nintendo's strength was always to have great weird but functional games which took advantage of hardware, now they're running old ideas into the ground alongside some uninspired multiplatform FPS sports and racing titles.

Look at the indie games scene on steam. Even those small, relatively free developers are running out of truly original ideas beyond "platformer with gimmick", "another tower defense game", "overwrought story based adventure game", "another zombie game with weird graphics" and "complex sim/roguelike".

What's needed is a fresh return to basic genres instead of sequels, a game like Ni No Kuni was a masterstroke: basic gimmick-free RPG, only well crafted and high-selling. That's what they need.

New genres get run into the ground all the time now, that's my theory as to why it seems like there's never anything new. Remember how rhythm games became a fad around the latter part of the '00s? And today how you can't walk five feet into gaming websites without hearing about some F2P MOBA you've never heard of? Ayup.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Papercut posted:

I think this is a heavy case of rose-tinted glasses. I don't think their strength was ever to have "great weird" games, their strength was taking a genre and making the tightest, most user-friendly experience available. All of the 2D Marios after SMB were basically just revisions on that first game, the same goes for 3D Marios, 2D Zeldas, and 3D Zeldas. What was the last new franchise they used to push the envelope? Even Pikmin is a heavily-derivative take on the Lemmings concept.

What I was thinking of there was how Nintendo used to be the first to properly take advantage of certain advances in hardware, like with Mario 64 as the first (and still best) 3D platformer. Nowadays hardware advances don't come in forms that allow us to do drastically new things every 5 years or so. Still maybe it wasn't a strong argument.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

AfricanBootyShine posted:

It was those awful, awful jaggies. The PS2 didn't support anti-aliasing, and graphics were at the point where it made a huge difference.

I can't play my copy of Grandia 2 because in the intro the jaggies and aliasing on some of the terrain 'vibrates' and hurts my eyes :(

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I don't think, tech wise, the Wii U can be directly compared to the Dreamcast. It's more like if the Nintendo 64 was released in 1999, where it's slightly more powerful than the previous generation's consoles, the PSOne and Sega Saturn, but still a generation behind the new hardware just around the corner.

If people have the option to get a game on either the Wii U or on the PS4/Xbone, then it's clear which one isn't going to be as good. It's fine for a handheld to not be cutting edge, since they often have a large library of exclusive games, tailored to their specifications and capabilities. The 3DS and Vita don't share many titles at all, the only one that comes to mind is Virtue's Last Reward.

Nintendo doesn't have their moneymakers from the Wii, the accessible new input scheme of the Wii remote, or the perfect game to show it off, Wii Sports. They'll have to compete in Sony and Microsoft's court, and they've already shown themselves to be completely unprepared for HD development cycles.

Although I own a Wii U, and have loved so many of Nintendo's games, I just can't stand their awful hardware since the Wii came out, and don't want to waste money on their terrible ecosystem. I'm not going to re-buy games on the virtual console and be limited to which of the dozen controllers I can and can't use, I'm not going to buy anything on their online store if I can't easily transfer those purchases to another system, or if they don't start having some proper sales. All I'm going to do is dust off the console whenever a new Nintendo game comes out, and put it away when I'm done with it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yeah, spec-wise the WiiU situation is most comparable to the Wii itself. Just slightly less than a generation behind the competition. Even if, of course, it's not a direct analogy.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I would like Nintendo to fail in the home console business because I think their strengths lend themselves more to handhelds and to mid-budget (think $20-$30) games. I just can't justify spending the money on their consoles for so few games, and so I selfishly would like them to go 3rd party or take their IPs to the "indie" PC market (I know it wouldn't be indie at that point, but I'm talking about short, mechanically simple games). Their IPs just aren't suited for the epic, HD, mega-budget environment. I say that as someone who was practically raised by Nintendo.

Shibawanko posted:

What I was thinking of there was how Nintendo used to be the first to properly take advantage of certain advances in hardware, like with Mario 64 as the first (and still best) 3D platformer. Nowadays hardware advances don't come in forms that allow us to do drastically new things every 5 years or so. Still maybe it wasn't a strong argument.

I don't think it was a particularly weak argument, I think it's just that those few times where Nintendo has been on the cutting edge have proven to be major outliers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Nintendo has always made innovating hardware, specifically human-hardware interfaces, one of their top priorities. Even if some of those innovations prove less successful than others. Think about this:

NES introduced the + D-pad
SNES added shoulder buttons
N64 made thumb-manipulated joysticks a standard feature on game controllers and also popularized the bottom-mounted trigger button.
Gamecube experimented with face button layout and analog shoulder buttons
DS added two screen with touch functionality, something a lot of people said was mental at the time

Nintendo may not have been on the cutting age as often as fanboys would like to pretend, but their influence as a hardware maker, I believe, is good for the industry. The Wii U hasn't caught on like they'd hoped, but it did (allegedly) lead Sony to make Vita-PS4 connectivity mandatory. With the Xbone and PS4 being so similar in basic architecture and specifications, with the stupidly high budgets of AAA titles and indie-unfriendliness of Microsoft, console gaming needs Nintendo a hell of a lot more than PC gaming does. To offer something different, even if it's not as successful.

• Locked thread