Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

As it is, iplayers content pales in comparison to 4od - I'd be happy even if they kept all of a series up while it was still being aired, anything else would be a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They offer series catchup on quite a few shows, though it isn't ubiquitous. Also remember last month when they admitted to having wasted millions on trying to digitize the archive. Not that it's germane, just saying that it owned.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
All the episodes from the new series of Horrible Histories are available on the iPlayer until September.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Says something about how shite the Monday night line up is that when I went to have a look what was on at half nine tonight, and of the four recommendations on the RT website, two of them were Only Connect. One was for the repeat on BBC4 at 1:55ish in the morning and the other to watch it on the iPlayer.

Nice.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Semprini posted:

No, not ahhh.

I was literally sat at work today thinking "Banter Martin, harmless banter" for absolutely no reason.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Psybro posted:

I was literally sat at work today thinking "Banter Martin, harmless banter" for absolutely no reason.

There have been a lot of racists on telly recently. They're not even pretending it's banter, these days :(

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I notice Netflix is putting up new episodes of U.S. The Killing as they air over the pond. Not exactly the greatest show, but an interesting move. Maybe they'll do it with Breaking Bad later this summer.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

I notice Netflix is putting up new episodes of U.S. The Killing as they air over the pond. Not exactly the greatest show, but an interesting move. Maybe they'll do it with Breaking Bad later this summer.

They also have the original Danish The Killing up there, so probably better to watch that instead.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Junkenstein posted:

I believe that The Killing (US) was cancelled and Netflix bought the rights to make/show new episodes, so I doubt it, unfortunately.

They also don't have series two or three of the Danish Killing, which is torture. :(

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Adrianics posted:

I believe that The Killing (US) was cancelled and Netflix bought the rights to make/show new episodes, so I doubt it, unfortunately.

They also don't have series two or three of the Danish Killing, which is torture. :(

Oh yeah, looks like Netflix are involved, although the whole season is going out on AMC before it arrives on Netflix US. So a different beast to House of Cards/Arrested Development.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also remember last month when they admitted to having wasted millions on trying to digitize the archive.

That wasn't about the iplayer that was to try and build an internal web app where all the footage archive, or just shot and ingested would be available anywhere within the bbc network so that you could edit a programme at your desk and never have to touch a tape. It was a hell of a lot more ambitious than just the iplayer.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
This American fella on 10 O' Clock Live sucks rear end

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003

henpod posted:

This American fella on 10 O' Clock Live sucks rear end

Rich Hall used to be awesome, but yeah, he fell a bit flat. I like 10 o clock live now, they seem to have got rid of the annoying bits.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The best things I've seen Rich Hall do recently have been documentaries.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Cunning Plan posted:

they seem to have got rid of the annoying bits.

Jimmy Carr and Lauren Laverne left?

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003
I seem to be in the minority that doesn't mind Lauren! Ditto Jimmy; now they've got rid of the stupid dressup section his only major bit is telling a few jokes at the start, which are occasionally groan worthy but still entertaining IMO...

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I'm watching on +1 and it's definitely improved. However, if I see that loving Peugot GTi advert one more time (or rather, hear it) I am going to find and kill whoever came up with it.

fake edit: well maybe not find and kill, more silently rage while scrabbling desperately for the 'mute' button.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Who's watching Case Histories? I'm only really watching cos I watched it last series, and I only really watched it last series cos it makes my home town look pretty.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

HERAK posted:

That wasn't about the iplayer that was to try and build an internal web app where all the footage archive, or just shot and ingested would be available anywhere within the bbc network so that you could edit a programme at your desk and never have to touch a tape. It was a hell of a lot more ambitious than just the iplayer.

I did say it wasn't germane.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Richard Herring just struck gold with his latest Leicester Square pod cast with Stephen Fry, where Fry speaks about a suicide attempt in 2012, which the press has gone crazy over. As Richard Herring asks

quote:

Stephen Fry also gave the best answer ever to the suck your own cock question. Why isn't BBC new leading with that?

You can buy a video of the interview here, or download the audio from here.

Richard Herring has also been tweeting a couple of video previews as well:

Fry on his time in prison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzu4yrXaWUE

Stephen Fry's shameful Hobbit secret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXlGK_Atlek

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 6, 2013

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

Richard Herring just struck gold with his latest Leicester Square pod cast with Stephen Fry, where Fry speaks about a suicide attempt in 2012, which the press has gone crazy over. As Richard Herring asks

You can buy a video of the interview here, or download the audio from here.

For someone who spends more time than he should playing snooker against himself while being the commentator and the commentator(s) and has spent a decade doing cock-based stand up routines, he gets some loving good interviews going.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

onoflalks posted:

For someone who spends more time than he should playing snooker against himself while being the commentator and the commentator(s) and has spent a decade doing cock-based stand up routines, he gets some loving good interviews going.

Hopefully it'll get Richard Herring a bit more recognition, the Leicester Square podcasts and As It Occurs to Me really deserves a much wider audience.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

I had tickets to this but had to pass on it because of a friends dinner party :( Gutted.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Brown Moses posted:

Hopefully it'll get Richard Herring a bit more recognition, the Leicester Square podcasts and As It Occurs to Me really deserves a much wider audience.
Anyone reading about Fry's confession and then seeking out more of Herring's work hoping for other heart felt interviews is really going to get a shock when they end up listening to Pippa Middleton's Disembodied Anus. AIOtM is mostly terrible, the product of a man pushing himself well beyond his own capacity to write.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, I love AIOTM personally, but I'm not sure it 'deserves a much wider audience'.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
AIOTM is brilliant probably because it is such a clusterfuck.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

FreakyZoid posted:

Anyone reading about Fry's confession and then seeking out more of Herring's work hoping for other heart felt interviews is really going to get a shock when they end up listening to Pippa Middleton's Disembodied Anus. AIOtM is mostly terrible, the product of a man pushing himself well beyond his own capacity to write.

I listened to and enjoyed the whole of AIOtM, but at the same time I was like, 'why am I enjoying this? It's completely poo poo', and yet I still liked it. RHLSTP is generally very good though.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

HERAK posted:

I also found it loving hilarious that they've then come out to say "out of the box" solutions are the way forward. My employer is also on a wild "out of the box" experience and it's costing them millions of euros a year trying to fix the gently caress-ups.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Whitefish posted:

I listened to and enjoyed the whole of AIOtM, but at the same time I was like, 'why am I enjoying this? It's completely poo poo', and yet I still liked it. RHLSTP is generally very good though.

I think it's because everyone involved, performers and audience, is fully aware that it is poo poo and is just gleefully revelling in it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Richard Herring's Edinburgh podcasts are good too.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I think it's because everyone involved, performers and audience, is fully aware that it is poo poo and is just gleefully revelling in it.

Yeah, this is probably it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
BBC have announced their winners of the Trans Comedy Award: two cis men!

quote:

BBC Writersroom have announced Tom Glover and Elliott Kerrigan as the two recipients of the Trans Comedy Award: a talent search to encourage writers to promote a positive portrayal of Transgender people in mainstream comedy.

Launched at the Creative Diversity Network Awards in November 2012 in partnership with Trans Comedy, the Trans Comedy Award looked for original television comedy sitcoms, comedy dramas or sketch shows featuring transgender characters and/or themes. The Award offers the selected writers the opportunity to develop their script with BBC Comedy Execs.

The winning writers and scripts have been announced today as:

Tom Glover – ‘Nobody’s Perfect’

Transgender mother Julia has a complicated life - an aspergic son, an attention-seeking daughter and a step-son who is just plain odd. The traditional family sitcom, without a traditional family.

Tom Glover said: "I was really thrilled to discover I was one of the winners of the Trans Comedy Award. Often writing can feel like a self-indulgent activity, but as I wrote this piece, I became increasingly convinced that it could do some real good in challenging prejudices through humour. It would be fair to say that I originally viewed the concept with some suspicion, but as I began to think about how the Trans community have been represented, or ignored within the media, I realised that this was a chance to do something ground-breaking and worthwhile.

"This is only the start of a journey, and I am looking forward to the prospect of exploring a whole new world and meeting a range of interesting, vibrant and strong characters from the Trans community to further inspire my work."

Elliott Kerrigan – ‘Love’

'Love' is a comedy drama about two people who fall in love: Leo, a 22 year old who has just lost his job, and Judy, a woman in her forties who, as she tells Leo on their first date, was 'born with a penis.'

Elliott Kerrigan said: "I saw the Trans Comedy Award on the Writersroom website and I know how important it is to see your life shown on TV in a positive and progressive way. A TV show like 'Will And Grace' meant and still means a lot to me. I could watch it with any member of my family and not feel awkward or like I wanted to watch it by myself in my room. We would never laugh at Will or Jack. We would laugh with them. That's the kind of show I wanted to write.

"I normally slave over the ideas, the comedy, the dialogue. But this time it felt like the characters were coming anyway, and I just had to type it up. And, for me, this became a pleasure and an adventure and I fell in love with them."

BBC Writersroom received 320 script entries for the award – the first of its kind. The selected scripts were chosen by a judging panel that included Ian Critchley (BBC Head of Creative Resources), Jon Plowman (Executive Producer, BBC Comedy), Sophie Clarke-Jervoise (Head of Comedy, Tiger Aspect) and the BBC’s Creative Director of New Writing, Kate Rowland.

The selected scripts will be developed further by the BBC in association with Jon Plowman and Sophie Clarke-Jervoise, towards a staged reading to be held by BBC Writersroom later in the year.

The BBC has a long-standing commitment to representing the audience it serves both through the diversity of its workforce and in the programmes it broadcasts. The Trans Comedy Award opens up an opportunity for the transgender community and members of the general public to portray transgender characters and the lives and experiences of transgender people in an affirming manner.

Sophie Clarke-Jervoise said: "I’m very pleased to be involved in Trans Comedy Awards. The standard of the shortlisted scripts we read was very high indeed and the process of getting down to two final scripts wasn’t easy. The two we’ve chosen are excellent – in both cases there’s a real truth and warmth to the characters, and we feel they have real potential to be successful BBC comedy series. I’m really looking forward to working with the writers and bringing their scripts to life."

Jon Plowman said: "The standard of scripts we read for the Trans Comedy Award was gratifyingly high. You expect people to say that about competition entries but in this case I came to the process with the worries that writing about something so out of the norm and so personal might well get in the way of the comedy. I was wrong. Well done to everyone who wrote and especially to the selected writers whose work we’ll try to take further towards television success."

Kate Rowland said: "This has been a fantastic partnership with Trans Comedy. We are genuinely excited by the scripts we received and we look forward to working with Tom and Elliott. We would also like to commend Michael Lee Richardson (‘Real Life Experience’) and Linda Naughton (‘Twinkle’) for offering a different perspective and creating fresh comedy characters.

Claire Parker & Milanka Brooks from Trans Comedy said: "The Trans Comedy Award demonstrates that partnerships in telling different stories have a real power and a real credibility. It makes perfect sense for the media to work with the Trans community in establishing a real and respectful narrative. We are amazed and encouraged by the number of great scripts and congratulate Tom and Elliott on winning the award with ‘Nobody’s Perfect’ and ‘Love’."

Notes to Editors

BBC Writersroom champions new writing talent in film, television, radio, and theatre. Recent successes include Welsh writer Debbie Moon's CBBC hit series WolfBlood and the new BBC Three drama In The Flesh by Dominic Mitchell, both of which have been recommissioned.

They run schemes targeting talent from a range of sources and work in partnerships with theatres, writer's organisations, screen agencies, and the wider cultural industries. BBC Writersroom helps new writers develop their craft through professional training, the website and in open sessions around the country with the UK's best writing talent.

Tom Glover trained in Playwriting at Birmingham University. As a playwright, he has recently had worked performed at the Mill Studio Theatre, Guildford, The Bike Shed Theatre, Exeter, Gilded Balloon, Ediburgh, amongst others. He has also a written a number of short stories which have been read at literary events and festival in the South East.

'Love' is Elliott Kerrigan’s third script. His first script, 'Northburn', was one of the winning scripts at the Writersroom Laughing Stock competition in 2011. His second script, '50 Words For Pete' was developed with Lime Pictures and sent to the BBC, Sky and Comedy Central.

Kate Rowland

Can't see how this will go wrong. :rolleyes:

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Chris Addison's doing a new sitcom for Sky Living and it might be good

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2013/06/07/18049/chris_addison_to_star_in_sky_sitcom

quote:

Chris Addison is to appear in the new Sky Living sitcom he has written, the broadcaster announced today.

The series, Trying Again, will also see the proper acting debut of stand-up Alun Cochrane.

Addison co-created the show with The Thick Of It writer Simon Blackwell, and it concerns a couple who are trying to keep their marriage together after an affair.

Addison will play the lead, Matt, while Jo Joyner, who is quitting her role as Tanya Branning in EastEnders, will play his wife Meg, who had a fling with her boss. Cochrane – whose acting credits to date comprise playing the barman in one episode of Lee Mack’s Not Going Out, plays Matt’s best friend, while Charles Edwards plays the boss, Iain.

The show, set in a small Lake District town where everyone knows their business, was announced earlier this year – but this is the first time casting details have been revealed.

Addison said: ‘We've been dying to make this show for years so it's really exciting to be getting it off the ground with such a great cast.’

Joyner said it was ‘ver very exciting’ to be part of the team.

Collaborating with Addison and Blackweell is co-writer Tony Roche – another Thick Of It alumnus – and Peep Show and Fresh Meat co-creator Jesse Armstrong, who will script-edit.

Moone Boy director Ian Fitzgibbon will be behind the camera for the eight half-hour episodes, while Horrible Histories’ Caroline Norris is the producer.

Trying Again, which is made by the production arm of Addison’s agents Avalon, will shoot on location from this summer.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

TinTower posted:

I... don't understand. Was the award set up specifically for Trans writers, or for Trans themes in writing?

Edit: anything on Sky Living is awful

thehustler fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 7, 2013

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

quote:

Transgender mother Julia has a complicated life - an aspergic son, an attention-seeking daughter and a step-son who is just plain odd. The traditional family sitcom, without a traditional family.

This sounds absolutely horrifically poo poo already.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

TinTower posted:

Wait, were there even any trans* people in the judging panel?

e: also TinTower you or others might know what I'm talking about, a while back I remember seeing a website or report which listed tonnes of transphobic incidents or themes in TV programs and maybe films and the volume and variety of stuff it contained was pretty shocking. I'm trying to find it now but I'm struggling. Any idea what it was?

never mind, I think it's this I'm thinking of: http://www.glaad.org/publications/victims-or-villains-examining-ten-years-transgender-images-television

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 7, 2013

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!

quote:

Tom Glover – ‘Nobody’s Perfect’
So Julia is on the run after witnessing the St. Valentine's Day massacre and is only pretending to be a woman to avoid getting killed by gangsters? Because there's no way that title isn't referencing Some Like It Hot.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

TinTower posted:

Christ alive.

thehustler posted:

I'm wanting to believe it'll be good because of the writing staff and that, but it's on Living so it'll probably be utter, utter poo poo.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

quote:

Tom Glover said: "I was really thrilled to discover I was one of the winners of the Trans Comedy Award. Often writing can feel like a self-indulgent activity, but as I wrote this piece, I became increasingly convinced that it could do some real good in challenging prejudices through humour. It would be fair to say that I originally viewed the concept with some suspicion, but as I began to think about how the Trans community have been represented, or ignored within the media, I realised that this was a chance to do something ground-breaking and worthwhile.

Sorry mate, that still sounds really self-indulgent.

I'm not trans, I don't want to be offended on behalf so to speak, but the idea that a trans woman and a son with Aspergers makes for a wacky, non-traditional family situation ripe for hilarious jokes (but also ~groundbreaking challenging of prejudice~!) is really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

thehustler posted:

I... don't understand. Was the award set up specifically for Trans writers, or for Trans themes in writing?

It was very heavily hinted.