Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How do you guys handle building in EU3. Building a bunch of level 1 production and trade buildings and churches didn't really work out so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Workshops first, generally. They're the level 2 production building. But it depends on your country and the amount of provinces you have. Once you're 15-20 years into the game, gold shouldn't be an issue when it comes to buildings, just magistrates, and the higher tier buildings generally do more for you than the lower tier ones, so once you hit the point where you can't support building in all your provinces, you want to focus buildings in your most profitable provinces. Generally, the trade and production line do the most for you economy, and the other lines aren't quite as vital, as you generally end up with a surplus of manpower and naval limits aren't that costly to go above.

Once you hit the late game, there's really only one choice, at least in unmodded EU3. Throw up as many level 6 trade buildings as you possibly can and laugh as the game completely breaks down. Instead of improving the province they're built in, they make trading more lucrative, as well as making it easier to compete. It is hilariously unbalanced. The other choices look good (50% tax income and +5 base? That's got to be great!) but they're traps. Late game your income will be mostly trade and production, and even with the bonuses from the high tier production buildings for tax, it still pales in comparison.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

sparatuvs posted:

I have no idea what I did but suddenly this happened.

I wasn't even trying to influence these nations. What the gently caress did I do and how can I do it again?

If you've maxed out influence on all the countries you've set priorities for, your influence points start to ooze out into all the priority-0 nations.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Relearning Victoria 2 as Sardinia-Piedmont after not having played it since vanilla days. What's the best method to get clerks? I am promoting them in two of my states but none seem to appear and it stays at 0%.

Also just saw the UK get rear end hosed by Russia and France early in the game, and they've released all their spheres and colonies in India since they're no longer a great power :getin:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cynic Jester posted:

Once you hit the late game, there's really only one choice, at least in unmodded EU3. Throw up as many level 6 trade buildings as you possibly can and laugh as the game completely breaks down. Instead of improving the province they're built in, they make trading more lucrative, as well as making it easier to compete. It is hilariously unbalanced. The other choices look good (50% tax income and +5 base? That's got to be great!) but they're traps. Late game your income will be mostly trade and production, and even with the bonuses from the high tier production buildings for tax, it still pales in comparison.

Trade efficiency can't exceed 200% anymore so this isn't quite as gamebreaking.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 5, 2013

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Fister Roboto posted:

Trade efficiency can't exceed 200% anymore so this isn't quite as gamebreaking. Actually it might even be a bad idea because once you hit 200% naturally all those level 6 buildings will be worthless.

Oh, right. I haven't played unmodded since the release of DW.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

You want a few provinces with high level navy/army buildings for the cost reductions, but probably not more than a handful. The other high tier buildings are worth building some of because they give bonus agents (most importantly, one gives magistrates).

Early on build trade and production improvements in provinces with high tax/production as you get the money, that's basically all there is to it. The church line is a pretty questionable set of investments until quite late.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Besides building up to the +spy defence building in my capital, I only build churches if I'm a rich non-western nation, or I have literally nothing else to waste gold and magistrates on. In theory trade building spam isn't as gamebreaking as it was, but it kinda still is. Especially the lvl 5 building which increases national trade value.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 5, 2013

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
So I hear Iron Cross is pretty bad. Just how bad it is, though?
Could someone give me a rundown or a link to a review/AAR or something, where I can check just how deep the rabbit hole goes?

E: I mean, perhaps something juicier than the op?

Littlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 5, 2013

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

DrProsek posted:

Here's hoping in that 2 years of DLC we may still see fully moddable succession laws, or at least a bundle of ahistorical succession laws for fun/mods. I really want to be able to create new laws like female biased succession, or succession by combat where the game compares the martial of my heirs and the best one succeeds my old character and the others die, etc. I know it's kinda a problem where users can mod in succession laws that are supposed to be unique to certain DLCs so I can understand keeping the laws hardcoded, but I would pay a good $3-4 on a DLC that just adds in a bunch of succession laws that aren't based on anything in history and are just there for whoever wants them.

I too would pay for this. It's a game about dynasties, so let me dynasty to the max.

In a similar vein, I would also really love to see the game get more detailed about characters' relations to your current character. When I look at the Duchy of Pecs and discover, to my surprise, that he's a kinsman, I don't just want to see "Kinsman" - I want to see that he's my fourth cousin twice-removed. When I follow the king's descent all the way back, I'd like to see "Great (x20)-grandfather" or some such. And so forth. There could be a button on the character profile page for 'trace relationship' or something so it'd only compute it for characters where I'm actually curious, so as not to lag when I'm just looking through my court or whatever.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Winter Stormer posted:

There could be a button on the character profile page for 'trace relationship' or something so it'd only compute it for characters where I'm actually curious, so as not to lag when I'm just looking through my court or whatever.

"Find nearest common ancestor" would be nice, yes.

By the time I have 600+ people in my dynasty, figuring out how I'm related to random kinsman x, who is suddenly the Byzantine Emperor for no readily explicable reason, requires half an hour and a notepad.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Littlefinger posted:

Could someone give me a rundown or a link to a review/AAR or something, where I can check just how deep the rabbit hole goes?

E: I mean, perhaps something juicier than the op?

Juicier than the OP? That's gonna be pretty hard without doing an LP or something for it...

Ninja Edit: I've gone ahead and added some additional screenshots to try to help you out. I wish I could find a good one of Andorra or the LON, but nobody plays it so nobody really uploads these things anymore.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gorgo Primus posted:

Juicier than the OP? That's gonna be pretty hard without doing an LP or something for it...

Ninja Edit: I've gone ahead and added some additional screenshots to try to help you out. I wish I could find a good one of Andorra or the LON, but nobody plays it so nobody really uploads these things anymore.

Ahahaha I'd never seen anything other than the America map screenshot. It's like some one looked at hoi2 and thought "man this would be a much better game if we cranked the sperg up to 12 and ripped off the dial."

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Gorgo Primus posted:

Those provinces are mind-boggling horrific.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Nckdictator posted:

Those provinces are mind-boggling horrific.

Hey, I see the good ole' Brazos County in that there Americas map. I poo-poo on you for saying this grand region of maybe 30'000 around the 1940's as being unworthy of being included in a game of grand global strategy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Littlefinger posted:

The few times I tried to play Iron Cross, the game starts in 1933 and Communist China beats back Nationalist China and then defeats Japan badly enough to throw them out of Manchuria and Korea all before 1936.

In another playthrough, Poland defeats the German "blitzkrieg" because the Axis can't form a contiguous line of divisions across the entire hundred-province front. I switched to them after they annexed Germany and walked all over Czechoslovakia, Italy, France and was getting ready to invade the (also unsecured) Russian front when the save stopped loading.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

So have you all tried the original Hidden Agenda? I don't know if abandonware is ok here, but it's out there and it runs great in DOSBox. Really cool little game, though I keep getting these darn right wing coups d'etat.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Amazing, thank you guys. :allears:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Well, that was amazing. Ended in a left-wing coup. I had been governing from a centrist position, but then figured I could ignore the left since the left-wing commander attempted to seize control and was forced into exile. But there were plenty of sympathetic soldiers, I guess.

I wish there was a way to get the encyclopedia article at the end into a text file, it's brilliant.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Gorgo Primus posted:

Jesus, that's the craziest thing I've seen since Septentrionalis Universalis.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
What can you do when you're up against the infamy limit? As Belgium I have 21 infamy, and the Netherlands keep declaring on me with their one state. I keep beating the poo poo out of them but can't take any wargoals for fear of increasing my infamy....any thoughts?

e: I own Friesland and Zwolle, so there's this Holland-shaped hole in my country

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You can't really do anything except to wait out for some infamy to burn off or releasing colonies as dominions for -5 infamy. It's really supposed to be a hard stop on expansionism until you're powerful enough to ignore it completely.

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

So have you all tried the original Hidden Agenda? I don't know if abandonware is ok here, but it's out there and it runs great in DOSBox. Really cool little game, though I keep getting these darn right wing coups d'etat.

Hidden Agenda is fantastic. You should also try out Crisis in the Kremlin.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

gradenko_2000 posted:

You can't really do anything except to wait out for some infamy to burn off or releasing colonies as dominions for -5 infamy. It's really supposed to be a hard stop on expansionism until you're powerful enough to ignore it completely.

I guess I should've waited and hoped for free CBs, huh? :(

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

TOOT BOOT posted:

There's an unofficial CK2 to EU3 converter, and there will be an official one for EU4.

UNF :gizz:

Now do one for EU4 to Vicky 3 and I'll never have to leave my house again. 800-1900, a history.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

"Winning" hidden agenda requires doing things in a very specific way but all you really accomplish is clinging onto power without getting killed which makes sense and is in line with the game's goals.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The aim in Hidden Agenda is to stay long enough in power until the new constitution is finished. If you hold re-elections at any time before that, the country just turns back into a dictatorship.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
What's the best way to go about playing a multicultural nation in Victoria 2? How do you either go about assimilating them into your culture, or accepting them? Either way would be fine, but the last game I had I ended up with lots of very angry Albanians and Turks. Actually, pretty much everyone was angry. Maybe it was just because Greece doesn't have anything but wheat, fruit, and cows.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Also a Victoria 2 question, playing with a HMS Government, is there any downside to changing the ruling party to whatever you want? And re-doing it after every election if they get kicked out?

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
It increases militancy.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gilg posted:

Also a Victoria 2 question, playing with a HMS Government, is there any downside to changing the ruling party to whatever you want? And re-doing it after every election if they get kicked out?

iirc this really pisses people off.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

uPen posted:

iirc this really pisses people off.

Yes, manually changing the ruling party will cause a militancy spike proportional to how much people agree with your choice.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Morholt posted:

It increases militancy.
What's funny is when you put the reactionaries in power when no one likes them, so the new militancy makes the Upper House pass reform.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Thanks, that makes sense. Liberals just won the election and brought their laissez-faire policy, and it's a little unsettling as a beginner. I guess I'll just let it rock for now.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The funny thing is you'll want militancy anyway early on in order to pass reforms so you might even want to keep saying "gently caress you" to democracy.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I'm trying to civilise China in Victoria: Revolutions playing the VIP mod, and I swear to god I'm playing whack-a-mole with these loving research goals. I'll finish one after like a decade of regaining research points and whoops, the "triggers the following inventions: Joining the civilised world!" line seems to have found its way to another research goal.

Does anyone know what techs I need to cause "Joining the Civilised World!" invention to fire? Or is there anywhere in the game files that I can find out?

And why can't I just bulk up on prestige, industry and military score in order to civilise? I've got close to 300 divisions of lovely native infantry, everyone loves the hell out of me, and I've got production out the wazoo with factories and railroads in every province. :saddowns:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

James The 1st posted:

What's funny is when you put the reactionaries in power when no one likes them, so the new militancy makes the Upper House pass reform.

Ooh, new political strategy found.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Penguingo posted:

I'm trying to civilise China in Victoria: Revolutions playing the VIP mod, and I swear to god I'm playing whack-a-mole with these loving research goals. I'll finish one after like a decade of regaining research points and whoops, the "triggers the following inventions: Joining the civilised world!" line seems to have found its way to another research goal.

Does anyone know what techs I need to cause "Joining the Civilised World!" invention to fire? Or is there anywhere in the game files that I can find out?

And why can't I just bulk up on prestige, industry and military score in order to civilise? I've got close to 300 divisions of lovely native infantry, everyone loves the hell out of me, and I've got production out the wazoo with factories and railroads in every province. :saddowns:

Ricky is not really a game about things making sense and being intuitive.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Mandalay posted:

Ricky is not really a game about things making sense and being intuitive.

Not really fair to blame Ricky for VIP, aka the worst mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Gorgo Primus posted:

Not really fair to blame Ricky for VIP, aka the worst mod.

Oh thank God, I'm not the only one who feels that way. I just wish someone had pulled a New Nations Mod so I could have the flavor events without the economic insanity (Especially the omnipresent needs for chemicals :suicide:)

• Locked thread