Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

wtftastic posted:

"I need it for my comp, lol" after needing on an item someone else needs for their character should be grounds to have the person in questioned jettisoned from the group.

And they should lose every loving thing they rolled for too, I hate that person so much. All of those people, gently caress em. They should burn /rant

But honestly those people are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Team THEOLOGY posted:

And they should lose every loving thing they rolled for too, I hate that person so much. All of those people, gently caress em. They should burn /rant

But honestly those people are the worst.

I have to admit I have thoughtlessly done that in the past and then whene I realized why I rolled on it, if I won it, I'll immediately give it to the person who wants it. I felt really lovely about it.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
There should be a voting system. If the whole party agrees that it was a dumbass roll, the item just gets destroyed. Why is this not a thing yet ?

If I can't get the item that rightfully belongs to me, no-one can ! :argh:

On this topic :

I was running Black Talon on my Powertech, the orange bounty hunter chest dropped and a sith jug rolled for it an snatched it away from me. When the entire party called him out on the fact that the item had "Hunter" in the frigging name and looked like Trooper/BH heavy gear, he just went ahead and said that he uses heavy armor and as such can use it. (He also said that since I had won a green armor that we both needed on, he deserved that one. The green armor had aim on it :rolleyes:)

What do you think about these cases, i.e. they can use it just as well as the other class but it obviously is not for them ?

I started a kick vote out of principle (especially since that idiot started immediately prancing around in it without changing the +aim mods) and he got promptly booted out. And no, I'm not ashamed of taking petty internet revenge for petty internet item stealing. :colbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Honestly they should just bite the bullet and have bosses drop an item for each player (still off of a random list, but preferably excluding other classes). Each person 'sees' only their item, if you for some reason want to trade your loot with another person then you can do so for 2 hours or whatever.

I haven't done FPs since my early 30s, but the only real sticklers I had were orange items. There were some heavy armors I wanted for looks but they came with Aim mods in them so everyone else would say it 'wasn't for my class' usually. If you want the armor for the mods and I want it for the shell, why can't I roll on it, and if I win it strip out the mods to trade to you?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

WarLocke posted:

I haven't done FPs since my early 30s, but the only real sticklers I had were orange items. There were some heavy armors I wanted for looks but they came with Aim mods in them so everyone else would say it 'wasn't for my class' usually. If you want the armor for the mods and I want it for the shell, why can't I roll on it, and if I win it strip out the mods to trade to you?

I've actually done this a few times in the past, mostly grabbing agent medium armor on my Marauder, and as long as I explained what I was doing no one minded. Just make sure beforehand that the person who's actually using the mods has an orange item for that slot.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
The thing I was wondering about in my post obviously concerned only orange items.

KittyEmpress posted:

Just make sure beforehand that the person who's actually using the mods has an orange item for that slot.

This. I still thing that if an item was designed "for" a certain class, it should be taking precedence on the roll even if you can theoretically use it.

The thing is that the mods are never what I'm interested in in an orange, it's the item itself that I want, partly because they allow me to look like I want too, partly out of MMO-OCD "Need to get all my class oranges in case I want to wear them someday"

WarLocke posted:

Honestly they should just bite the bullet and have bosses drop an item for each player (still off of a random list, but preferably excluding other classes). Each person 'sees' only their item, if you for some reason want to trade your loot with another person then you can do so for 2 hours or whatever.

While this does sound great, I guess it'd cut down on the grinding and thus on the playtime ? Less stuff = Need to run more FPs = more playtime.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
SWTOR has made many sweeping strides in MMO quality of life, but I think it will be some time before we see an MMO that only drops loot that the party can use.

In case anyone was wondering, I found three sets of adaptive armor that pretty well fit the bill of the Jedi Knight heavy armor under robes look:

http://tor-fashion.com/2013/03/09/honored-saberist/

http://tor-fashion.com/2013/03/09/dire-eliminator/

http://tor-fashion.com/2013/03/09/valiant-jedi/

Personally, I like Honored Saberist's the best. I'm pretty sure you could just rip the mods out if need be. That said, these are all around 800K a pop on The Harbinger's GTN, so it's going to be a little while before my Shadow looks just right.

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 6, 2013

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Fathis Munk posted:

This. I still thing that if an item was designed "for" a certain class, it should be taking precedence on the roll even if you can theoretically use it.

I was always hoping someday they would implement a 3-tiered (As opposed to the current 2-tiered) roll system but it'd be a lot of work and still abusable in cases. It still feels, in my head anyway, like it would be a better alternative.

Need ("Appropriate" class) takes precedence over Need ("Wrong" class) takes precedence over Greed (Anyone). One can dream. :unsmith:

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
Postin' to get invited on republic goon squad. Toxoplasma the scoundrel.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

Red Crown posted:

SWTOR has made many sweeping strides in MMO quality of life, but I think it will be some time before we see an MMO that only drops loot that the party can use.

IIRC Warhammer Online had individual keep and public quest rewards - i.e you got the blue Archmage chest, someone else got the blue Ironbreaker chest, etc etc.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I was hoping the last patch would fix the 4 viewable buffs on the operation frame but I didn't notice any changes. Specifically:

quote:

Expiring buffs and debuffs on the Operations Frame will be replaced by another buff or debuff if the character currently has more than the four being shown.

But it's functionally useless since it still seems to prioritize the first buffs that have been put up, so it's always the 60 minute stat buffs. Has anyone found a work around for this, or is it another month of just tapping your foot to the rhythm of kolto probes and winging it?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So a friend of mine was asking about this game and whether or not we should play it again. I stopped playing because it was pretty grindy and couldn't really afford the subscription at the time (I was pretty poor). I stopped playing a little while before the free to play change, I saw the free to play restrictions and they were laughably stupid, like 'pay for a second ability bar'(that one made me die laughing when I saw it). Has the game made any changes to the free to play system? If I play it for free, is it a severely gimped game or will I be able to play without any real frustrating restrictions?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Red Crown posted:

In case anyone was wondering, I found three sets of adaptive armor that pretty well fit the bill of the Jedi Knight heavy armor under robes look:
just right.

Valiant Jedi all the way :colbert:

Catsworth posted:

I was always hoping someday they would implement a 3-tiered (As opposed to the current 2-tiered) roll system but it'd be a lot of work and still abusable in cases. It still feels, in my head anyway, like it would be a better alternative.

Need ("Appropriate" class) takes precedence over Need ("Wrong" class) takes precedence over Greed (Anyone). One can dream. :unsmith:

Didn't WoW at least forbid people needing on stuff they can't even use at higher levels ? It really isn't enough to combat ninja looters but I guess every bit helps.

cat doter posted:

If I play it for free, is it a severely gimped game or will I be able to play without any real frustrating restrictions?

This is what you're looking for. I think it's still pretty restrictive to be honest, it gets a bit better though if you get preferred, i.e. make a single purchase.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Well, it doesn't seem TOO bad, but some the restrictions are just baffling, like bank access. I don't understand why the differences are such a clusterfuck. The fact that page exists just to tell the difference between free and paid is ridiculous.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

cat doter posted:

Well, it doesn't seem TOO bad, but some the restrictions are just baffling, like bank access. I don't understand why the differences are such a clusterfuck. The fact that page exists just to tell the difference between free and paid is ridiculous.

Those pages always exist with F2P models because it allows the devs to show you just how much better your life gets when you throw poo poo at it.

I'm kinda baffled by sprint at 15, I played at launch when that was the rule for everyone and it's such a pain not to have that one. If you have the money for it, maybe try to make a single payment to get preferred status and pour the cartel points in rocket boots which will make it much more enjoyable by cutting down travel time.

E: Then again, don't you get preferred automatically if you've been a suscriber once ?

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 6, 2013

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I was a sub for 3 months, I think, and I've gotten e-mails saying I have cartel points, so getting preferred doesn't seem like an issue.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Catsworth posted:

Or make it part of an expanded Collections unlock system:

Need for my collection wins over Greed for credits. If you win the roll the item is unlocked in your collections but you can't roll Need for it anymore in the future.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Holy poo poo I got to level 50 this morning and got bombed with space missions, flashpoints, hard mode ops, gently caress. My quest log is actually full right now and I haven't even gotten to Corellia yet. :psyduck:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

WarLocke posted:

Holy poo poo I got to level 50 this morning and got bombed with space missions, flashpoints, hard mode ops, gently caress. My quest log is actually full right now and I haven't even gotten to Corellia yet. :psyduck:

Dump all that poo poo. Don't keep it in your logs until you're ready to do it. You don't need a million ops missions clogging it up unless you're planning to do ops within the next hour or so. The only quests you really 'need' active all the time are the vehicle achievement ones cause they're related to ops and flashpoints over time.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
cat, I just got 1-50 on Preferred.

It's totally fine. Seriously. By level 45 on my Sage, I was able to rebuy Account unlock versions of everything but Artifact Authorization, and Section X for the entire Account off the GTN.

I've since also purchased both thanks to the new escrow system, meaning the only thing I don't have that subs do is I lack a perma 25% exp boost, and have to buy passes to do Ops/WZs/SMs. To be fair though, just going 45-50, then doing dailies for a bit got me enough credits to buy almost 3 months worth of WZ/Op unlocks for a single character, so that also doesn't seem to be that large of a problem, since with each character I get to 50, I'll be able to buy another 6+ months of unlocks for the next guy in line.

There are two issues I noticed. First off, not using a single booster, I was two levels behind everything from Quesh to Corelia. It wasn't that big of a deal since the power curve near the end of the game is drastically in your favor, but it was a little odd taking on Red level quests. Again though, that was because I wanted to see what would happen if I didn't use a single booster throughout the entire game, if you play it normally and use the free boosters they keep throwing at you during Heroic 4s/FPs, you'll be well ahead of the bell curve.

Secondly you can't craft as a Preferred. They say you can, but you can't. You can only queue up one "craft" at a time, rather then the traditional queueing up of five things at a time, making it a serious pain in the rear end. Even worse though is the timer issue. Traditionally, the more your companions like you, the faster the timer on crafting quests. If Preferred though, it'll always be 30 + minutes. Which is pointless as hell for any sort of crafting aspirations.

I have no idea if the Crafting issues get fixed by getting the third Crafting tier unlock, but haven't bothered checking yet. I might just buy it to check, once I've finished buying a bunch of other stuff for myself.

But yeah, the Agent alt I'm planning to make over the next few days will have everything unlocked. Including a bunch of alt centric stuff, like adaptive speeders/every flavor of colored +41 End crystal that I unlocked in collections using the CC Bioware gives for completing achievements. It's not a big deal.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

I'm actually quite glad to hear that, judging from the limits I got the feeling that it was much more of a pain.

I didn't actually know that subscribers got 25% exp bonuses, that's pretty incredible. I guess that explains why most of my quests tend to be green ? I chalked that up to my MMO-OCD meaning I had to complete every single quest and bonus including all the bonus series (Did you do these and still fall behind ?). Or is it just that subscribers get pre-f2p experience and non-subscribers get less ?

Also I didn't know the restrictions on crafting were that harsh, not only do you get less skills but they still needed to nerf them ?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Having just tried to start being able to craft on my first preferred account, it seems incredibly slow. As a preferred, you get two skill slots, and I bought the 3rd of the GTN. I'm still really low level in Cybertech, but its mostly just tedious having to order my companions to make basic mods every minute or so. Plus, I only have a 10% chance to learn a new blueprint thing while reverse engineering.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ravenfood posted:

Having just tried to start being able to craft on my first preferred account, it seems incredibly slow. As a preferred, you get two skill slots, and I bought the 3rd of the GTN. I'm still really low level in Cybertech, but its mostly just tedious having to order my companions to make basic mods every minute or so. Plus, I only have a 10% chance to learn a new blueprint thing while reverse engineering.
The missions eventually start taking an eternity.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Would you actually be able to trade the mods? I assumed doing something like taking the mods out would immediately expire the trade timer. Which probably didn't even exist for the mods independently anyway.

(Remember back when you couldn't trade BoP drops from flashpoints/ops at all? God that was terrible.)

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Rookersh posted:

cat, I just got 1-50 on Preferred.

It's totally fine. Seriously. By level 45 on my Sage, I was able to rebuy Account unlock versions of everything but Artifact Authorization, and Section X for the entire Account off the GTN.

I've since also purchased both thanks to the new escrow system, meaning the only thing I don't have that subs do is I lack a perma 25% exp boost, and have to buy passes to do Ops/WZs/SMs. To be fair though, just going 45-50, then doing dailies for a bit got me enough credits to buy almost 3 months worth of WZ/Op unlocks for a single character, so that also doesn't seem to be that large of a problem, since with each character I get to 50, I'll be able to buy another 6+ months of unlocks for the next guy in line.

There are two issues I noticed. First off, not using a single booster, I was two levels behind everything from Quesh to Corelia. It wasn't that big of a deal since the power curve near the end of the game is drastically in your favor, but it was a little odd taking on Red level quests. Again though, that was because I wanted to see what would happen if I didn't use a single booster throughout the entire game, if you play it normally and use the free boosters they keep throwing at you during Heroic 4s/FPs, you'll be well ahead of the bell curve.

Secondly you can't craft as a Preferred. They say you can, but you can't. You can only queue up one "craft" at a time, rather then the traditional queueing up of five things at a time, making it a serious pain in the rear end. Even worse though is the timer issue. Traditionally, the more your companions like you, the faster the timer on crafting quests. If Preferred though, it'll always be 30 + minutes. Which is pointless as hell for any sort of crafting aspirations.

I have no idea if the Crafting issues get fixed by getting the third Crafting tier unlock, but haven't bothered checking yet. I might just buy it to check, once I've finished buying a bunch of other stuff for myself.

But yeah, the Agent alt I'm planning to make over the next few days will have everything unlocked. Including a bunch of alt centric stuff, like adaptive speeders/every flavor of colored +41 End crystal that I unlocked in collections using the CC Bioware gives for completing achievements. It's not a big deal.

Wait, so if you want to craft something that would take a minute or so on a subscriber account, it would take 30 minutes? The gently caress? What kind of crafting abilities should you take if you're preferred instead of a subscriber?

It's interesting that you can almost have a subscriber level account just unlocking stuff. I'm curious though, how much actual money would you have spent unlocking this stuff? A lot? That would bum me out.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Really the only thing that's bothering me at this point is the 200,000 credit cap. Everything else you can unlock off the GTN by grinding missions/side missions for a couple days

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

cat doter posted:

Wait, so if you want to craft something that would take a minute or so on a subscriber account, it would take 30 minutes? The gently caress? What kind of crafting abilities should you take if you're preferred instead of a subscriber?

It's interesting that you can almost have a subscriber level account just unlocking stuff. I'm curious though, how much actual money would you have spent unlocking this stuff? A lot? That would bum me out.

No, I think what he meant is that crafting for everyone tend to take that long, but subscribers can queue up to 5 crafting orders.

Most of the unlocks can also be bought with in game currency actually.

E : OP says "Prime Defence" for the rep guild, their website says "Prime Defense" ? Anyways, could I get an invite for Finvee ? Or should I post on their site ?

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 6, 2013

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Is there a way to reset your legacy name? I prefer my Legacy name on the characters I'm moving over and it's probably not going to be the higher level legacy.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Fathis Munk posted:

No, I think what he meant is that crafting for everyone tend to take that long, but subscribers can queue up to 5 crafting orders.

Most of the unlocks can also be bought with in game currency actually.

E : OP says "Prime Defence" for the rep guild, their website says "Prime Defense" ? Anyways, could I get an invite for Finvee ? Or should I post on their site ?

Send a tell to Jeyte later, I should be on from 2 PST to 8 PST.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Annakie posted:

Is there a way to reset your legacy name? I prefer my Legacy name on the characters I'm moving over and it's probably not going to be the higher level legacy.

Yes, 1000 cartel coins if it's worth that to you.

They've just added the option to change character/guild/Legacy name.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Jesus christ why is it so hard to get a hold of these cartel coin card things. The dude at GameStop figured it out, but neither Best Buy nor Wal-Mart has them listed in their online stores and I've been to 3 different Wal-Marts and every time I get a blank stare and a "wut?" when I describe it. I just want my promotional vendor vanity pet damnit.

Also the end of Voss was kind of disappointing (Sith Warrior spoilers) it seemed like a great opportunity for a Light-Side character to leave the Voice in that room, alive but trapped. Reforming the Empire would be easier without the actual Emperor. But no matter how things play out he 'dies' and thus the Voice is free to go inhabit another body.

Also now I'm wondering how/when/if the SW and JK stories contact each other. :tinfoil:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
What's the exclusive pet that you can get from real life cartel coin cards?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

WarLocke posted:

Jesus christ why is it so hard to get a hold of these cartel coin card things. The dude at GameStop figured it out, but neither Best Buy nor Wal-Mart has them listed in their online stores and I've been to 3 different Wal-Marts and every time I get a blank stare and a "wut?" when I describe it. I just want my promotional vendor vanity pet damnit.

Also the end of Voss was kind of disappointing (Sith Warrior spoilers) it seemed like a great opportunity for a Light-Side character to leave the Voice in that room, alive but trapped. Reforming the Empire would be easier without the actual Emperor. But no matter how things play out he 'dies' and thus the Voice is free to go inhabit another body.

Also now I'm wondering how/when/if the SW and JK stories contact each other. :tinfoil:

I disagree with you there- part of the rot and corruption of the Empire comes from people like Barras using the Emperor being out of the picture or largely silent as an opportunity to pursue their own agendas and politics nominally in the Emperor's name. Sure, the Emperor might be part of the problem, but he's also the very figurehead of the Empire .

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

What's the exclusive pet that you can get from real life cartel coin cards?
Glided Flutterplume.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

On the one hand I'm mildly jealous but on the other hand $20 of funbux for a parrot.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

I'm a sucker for limited stupid fun time bullshit but that thing is ugly as sin. What's wrong with it's faaaaaaace? :catstare:

Also I just got my melee dps companion on my inquisitor. Is there any way to figure out which of her stances is better? She has the +15% Armor Penetration stance and "Chance to do a bleed" stance.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

Catsworth posted:

I'm a sucker for limited stupid fun time bullshit but that thing is ugly as sin. What's wrong with it's faaaaaaace? :catstare:

Looks like they tried to mate a parrot with a sugar glider...those eyes are staring directly into your soul.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

On the one hand I'm mildly jealous but on the other hand $20 of funbux for a parrot.

The way I look at it is, if I'm going to buy some funbux anyway, I might as well get a little something extra while I'm at it.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

WarLocke posted:

The way I look at it is, if I'm going to buy some funbux anyway, I might as well get a little something extra while I'm at it.

Yeah. Thankfully I have no intention of buying funbux and because the parrot isn't available in my country there's no temptation there either. Phew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I look at that and all I can see is this:

• Locked thread