Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So I started running a highly augmented version of Only War last week, where the characters ended up, pretty much right away, being turned into a assault squad at the service of an inquisitor. So essentially, its going to be Dark Heresy with characters built using Only War rules, all the characters being from a military background.

The one thing I noticed as a first time GM to this system is that it was difficult at times to keep up with the encounters. Largely I was suffering from having NPCs being cut and pasted stats in word documents and the pain in the rear end that is. So I was wondering if anyone knows of any GM aid that works for this ruleset.

A combat manager would be great, but I'd settle for something that allows me to input and archive NPC stats in a semi-normal format. I know there is a Dark Heresy mod out there for Map Tools, but I am not reverting to Java 5 just to get that to run. Master Plan actually is what I use for dnd 4e, but it is stupidly designed in that all the creature libraries HAVE to be in 4e format. I could still use it, but I don't really know how helpful it will be when every time I'm looking for something on an NPC character sheet I've got to loving stare at it for 10 minutes to translate it from dnd to 40k rpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Interstellar Owl posted:

The character generation really isn't that hard, so you really wouldn't need a char gen.

It sort of is when you have a single book for 5 players and the GM, and your players are being asked to pick specializations and things not knowing anything about the game or the universe.

What I did for the very first game is just gen'd the characters myself, rather than spend nearly an entire 7 hour session, which only meets twice month (sometimes less), on character creation. I am, however, moving to normal creation for Rogue Trader--then again we now have 3 RT books so who knows what I'd do if I were still the only guy with a book.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
The Ordo Malleus NPC generator is pretty useful for building & archiving NPCs, but the major problem I've found with most NPCs is keeping track of what the traits actually do, and it doesn't help with that.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

ZombieLenin posted:

It sort of is when you have a single book for 5 players and the GM, and your players are being asked to pick specializations and things not knowing anything about the game or the universe.

What I did for the very first game is just gen'd the characters myself, rather than spend nearly an entire 7 hour session, which only meets twice month (sometimes less), on character creation. I am, however, moving to normal creation for Rogue Trader--then again we now have 3 RT books so who knows what I'd do if I were still the only guy with a book.

I had 2 books for the group I did it with and it took us about 2 and a half hours to do character generation for 5 players.. I guess it depends on the people and such.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Interstellar Owl posted:

I had 2 books for the group I did it with and it took us about 2 and a half hours to do character generation for 5 players.. I guess it depends on the people and such.

Yes, to be fair, my "attempt" to do it this way lasted 4 hours, before I was super comfortable with the rules.

Though, I think the biggest issue was having to stop and explain lore for every little thing, since none of my players were familiar with the lore at all.

Interstellar Owl posted:

Yes, I agree, this is the biggest problem. What I have been doing is trying to convert, very slowly mind you, all of the NPCs into their own fillable character sheets, where I list what their talents do, and on what page/book you can find those talents. I've made it about halfway through the Dark Heresy Bestiary (Anathema) book, and all the way (minus vehicles) through the NPCs in the Only War core book.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 14, 2013

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

quote:

TOXIC (X)
A creature with this Trait is poisonous. Anyone that
successfully deals Damage to a Toxic creature must make a
Toughness Test with a penalty equal to 10 times the number
in parentheses (X) or suffer 1d10 points of Damage (of the
same type as the weapon which inflicted the hit) not reduced
by Armour or Toughness.

Probably going to house rule this

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Am I wrong, or as written does that apply to ranged weapons too? So sniping a toxic dude from 300 yards leads to your exploding somehow?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Yea that's a pretty poorly written trait, even the name doesn't reflect what they mean well, should have called it acidic blood or something.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

It's the trait that is on, say, a Splinter Rifle. It's clearly supposed to be "with a toxic weapon" but welp FFG editing strikes again?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
That is the only complaint I have about this whole loving line. The editing. I mean for gently caress's sake FFG, you have 5 systems now. You'd think one book would be put out with minimal errors :suicide:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Do any NPCs as statted actually have the Toxic trait?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

goatface posted:

Do any NPCs as statted actually have the Toxic trait?

No I figure we'll have to wait for tyranids or some sort of death world beastie before we see it used.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Tardcore posted:

No I figure we'll have to wait for tyranids or some sort of death world beastie before we see it used.

Not entirely true. If you look at the Grotesque, for instance, on page 360 of OW, you'll see it is given the trait "Horrific Experiments." Reading the fine print here, this particular trait is basically "GM should feel free to add one of the following traits to this NPCs at their discretion," one of which is Toxic[2].

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Yeah, it's also a result in a few of the creature generators. Pretty sure it's never seen enough play for FF to notice it could instagib anyone with a semi-auto gun or Swift Attack though.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I think it should be obvious that the toxic trait makes the natural attacks by the creature toxic, though I wouldnt put anything past FFG.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Except they have a mechanic for that, it's having the toxic trait applied to their natural weapons. There are quite a few things with that as far as I recall.

It makes a sort of sense if it's meant to be acid blood and applies only to melee, but even then it seems stupidly powerful. Toxic (2) giving a -20 toughness test to deal d10 past armour and toughness? Per hit? That's potentially a seriously bad day for most things that aren't space marines. Imagine a human character only discovering it after their lightning attack has already hit three times.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

goatface posted:

Except they have a mechanic for that, it's having the toxic trait applied to their natural weapons. There are quite a few things with that as far as I recall.

It makes a sort of sense if it's meant to be acid blood and applies only to melee, but even then it seems stupidly powerful. Toxic (2) giving a -20 toughness test to deal d10 past armour and toughness? Per hit? That's potentially a seriously bad day for most things that aren't space marines. Imagine a human character only discovering it after their lightning attack has already hit three times.

I've never used one of these creatures, but I'd probably rule that this would only count for melee. It makes no sense for someone to hit a toxic creature from 200 yards with a sniper rifle to take that kind of damage from a toxic creature.

By the way epic fail and brutality on characters are part of the beauty of this system. Last game one of my players rolled perils of the warp twice, and by the end of the game most of the characters had literally gained between 10-15 insanity and 10-15 corruption. It was loving awesome.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I've never used one of these creatures, but I'd probably rule that this would only count for melee. It makes no sense for someone to hit a toxic creature from 200 yards with a sniper rifle to take that kind of damage from a toxic creature.

By the way epic fail and brutality on characters are part of the beauty of this system. Last game one of my players rolled perils of the warp twice, and by the end of the game most of the characters had literally gained between 10-15 insanity and 10-15 corruption. It was loving awesome.

The Catachen Barking Toad fits that rule fairly well. :getin:

Though yea, the fun of the system tends to lie in how brutal everything is, though this tends to learn to players trying to avoid combat more than not. Guess that isn't so valid in Only War.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
My take on the trait:

pre:
TOXIC (X)
A creature with this Trait is poisonous in some way. Every 
time a character successfully hits a Toxic creature in 
melee, that character must make an Agility Test or 
suffer 1d10 E Damage, with a Penetration equal to the 
number in parentheses (X). This damage is reduced by 
Armour and Toughness as normal.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

kingcom posted:

The Catachen Barking Toad fits that rule fairly well. :getin:

Though yea, the fun of the system tends to lie in how brutal everything is, though this tends to learn to players trying to avoid combat more than not. Guess that isn't so valid in Only War.

Yeah, I'm sort of forcing them into it based on how I framed the game. Also, I'm lucky as at the start of the game I had everyone roll a back up character with express intention to have one ready so we could totally embrace the brutality of the world/system, with my players totally on board.

This is probably because our dnd game is more traditional in the sense that the characters were designed to be enduring. And I'd probably take great pains dues ex machina style to avoid killing one in that campaign.

FlutterShock
May 17, 2013
Anyone know who wrote the new Eldar Codex? 6th Edition i think it is.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

FlutterShock posted:

Anyone know who wrote the new Eldar Codex? 6th Edition i think it is.

I think you mean to post this in the actual 40k TTWG thread, which is here. While maybe you could get your answer here, this is the 40k RPG thread.

FlutterShock
May 17, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

I think you mean to post this in the actual 40k TTWG thread, which is here. While maybe you could get your answer here, this is the 40k RPG thread.

Ah Apologies!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Hey, my group and I have put together an XP chart for all the different classes in Only War. It's pretty helpful if you just have your phone or laptop or whatever, since it shows the default costs for attributes, skills, and talents based on any given class's aptitudes. Of course, you'd have to adjust if your Regiment gives any kind of additional aptitudes, but that's not too big a deal. This is editable in case my hasty proofreading has missed anything. I of course have a backup copy in case people gently caress it up for some reason, and you can let me know if there are some corrections I need to make (specifically, I'm not sure about the prerequisites, since I only skimmed those).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahv2w1fHiN1CdDNybS1JQXllTmFKOG5IY1BSV3pud1E&usp=sharing

ed: whoops, looks like I left a couple of our custom guys in there; I'll delete those tabs tomorrow

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 30, 2013

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

FantasyFlightGames posted:

All beings require sensation to know their surroundings, but the truly aware realize that life without sensation is worse than death. For those who exist for sensation, the normal limits of life become meaningless in the pursuit of greater and greater stimuli. As excesses are breached, nothing can sate these heavier appetites for long, however, and soon nothing exists except the quest for further sensation. Lives such as these are bound, either knowingly or unknowingly, in the service of the Chaos God Slaanesh. He offers the limitless bliss of endless passions and insatiable appetites to his legions of depraved followers. Will you give in to your desires and swear allegiance to him?

The Tome of Excess, a sinfully indulgent supplement for Black Crusade, is now available at your local retailer and on our webstore! This powerful tribute to Slaanesh introduces four new Heretic Archetypes, along with cruel weapons, rules for empowering minions, new Daemon Engines, and more to amplify the rapacious hordes of the Dark Prince.

Rules for expanded interactions and social combat allow players of all alignments to seduce their foes into becoming devoted lackeys. Players also gain new ways to use their growing Infamy, plus new dark rituals to curse and entrap enemies. Discover secrets of the Screaming Vortex, such as the Demons of Contrition, the xenos guardians of the Forbidden Portal, Malignia’s deadly jungles, and more. And in the included adventure, Heretics must best a Pirate Prince of the Ragged Helix in their bid to launch their own Black Crusade!

The Personification of Excess

Slaanesh is the personification of excess. In his name, hosts degrade entire worlds with unspeakable rites and warlords seduce systems with honeyed promises of unimaginable essences. His own appearance is beyond limits, existing as both male and female, always the epitome of impossible beauty and desire no matter who gazes upon his form. His followers exist only to seek out new perfections of sensation, and to make themselves perfect to better achieve such sensations. The more perfect the artist, the better he can fully admire unnatural colors that cause eyes to boil and shrivel.

Only the finest of assassins can appreciate the tortured gasps of a betrayed noble as the knife slowly twists. None but a devoted master of the blade knows the bliss as flesh slices apart under his exquisite riposte. All these and more are mere steps along a path that requires more and more with each sensory attainment. To know ultimates is to realize there are no ultimates, only increasing tiers of perception and the search of perfection to fully appreciate them. Their frantic journeys can have no end except for that which lays waiting them within the Warp: Slaanesh.

A Word from the Developer

Lead Developer Tim Huckelbery took a moment to share his insights on The Tome of Excess:

This Tome, our third tome devoted to the Chaos powers, was one we’ve been looking forward to for some time, as Slaanesh offers such wonderfully twisted opportunities for roleplaying. He is the god of pleasure, to be sure, but he is really the god of extremes in all things. As such, this book is devoted to wild excesses in behavior, addictive personalities, obsessive natures, and more. His followers are always dialed to 11 (as Nigel would say) though most also tear off the volume knob as well. Here personal desires are paramount and so we introduce many new paths to selfish power. There are no limits, and even the weapons are wonderfully warped.

As mere violence is so passé, however, many Heretics of Slaanesh prefer cutting with words instead; to that end, the new rules for Social Combat allows players to use their wits as weapons. Words have power, especially using the new Curses you’ll find here. Rules for Seduction can also sway enemies to your side—including fellow players!—to ensure their acquiescence. The new Glorifying Acts are also great fun as players can release their selfish desires for power, ignoring possible consequences to the rest of the group in order to gain greater Infamy!

The art has surpassed expectations in illuminating the words into wonderfully disturbing images filled with disconcerting beauty. Inside you’ll find such excessive insanities such as void bridges made from flayed faces, flesh shaping in action, the spider-ships of Samech, and the degradations of the Hall of Gluttony and the Den of Surrender.

In all, both the writers and artists (especially the art director, Andy Christensen) really came through to create something that I think is as enjoyable to read and look at as it is to use in game play. After all, as Slaanesh would say, satisfaction is everything!

Thanks, Tim! Look for The Tome of Excess on store shelves today!

Blueballs
Jul 15, 2003
My group located a character generator that let's you build Dark Heresy, Rouge Trader and Deathwatch characters!

http://www.blackmoor.org.uk/40K.html

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's funny, I was all set to hate Black Crusade, because I generally hate 40k Chaos, but once my players' party of a fallen Radical Inquisitor apostate, a depressed fallen Imperial hero Renegade, and a punk rock psyker girl with a chainsaw got up to their antics and started murdering entire cities of fantastic and horrible gnome people alongside murderous vikings (the Xur are awesome) to acquire shiney stuff and try to birth a new Chaos God, we all pretty much got into it. Best campaign I've ever run in a 40k game, and the mechanics of the system really do work, even if they ramp up insanely fast.

Still, it revealed something I'm beginning to think is a design flaw in the higher power 40k games. You're often dealing with damage and Pen on scales where armor really doesn't matter very much and a character's lifespan is measured not in their HP or defenses but rather their Dodge and Parry rolls. It just feels like DR and especially Wounds haven't kept pace well with damage and number of attacks. My PCs were always coming out either without a scratch or missing a new limb or eye, with no in between.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Night10194 posted:

It's funny, I was all set to hate Black Crusade, because I generally hate 40k Chaos, but once my players' party of a fallen Radical Inquisitor apostate, a depressed fallen Imperial hero Renegade, and a punk rock psyker girl with a chainsaw got up to their antics and started murdering entire cities of fantastic and horrible gnome people alongside murderous vikings (the Xur are awesome) to acquire shiney stuff and try to birth a new Chaos God, we all pretty much got into it. Best campaign I've ever run in a 40k game, and the mechanics of the system really do work, even if they ramp up insanely fast.

Still, it revealed something I'm beginning to think is a design flaw in the higher power 40k games. You're often dealing with damage and Pen on scales where armor really doesn't matter very much and a character's lifespan is measured not in their HP or defenses but rather their Dodge and Parry rolls. It just feels like DR and especially Wounds haven't kept pace well with damage and number of attacks. My PCs were always coming out either without a scratch or missing a new limb or eye, with no in between.

That's really more of a feature than a flaw.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
It's interesting reading the Tome of Excess material in the context of the poo poo happening with Exalted - the Tome of Excess could really easily have fallen into the same trap of emphasizing rape and shock bullshit in ways guaranteed to squick out anybody with social skills. That writeup looks like they did an excellent job of framing Slaanesh in ways that encourage interesting roleplaying and not just making it a bunch of sexdemons.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Thank god for that. Though that does raise the question. Are they completely ignoring all sexual business, or just treating it with finesse so that it doesn't serve only as inspiration for a thousand awkward neckbeard ERPs?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Dirty_Moses posted:

Thank god for that. Though that does raise the question. Are they completely ignoring all sexual business, or just treating it with finesse so that it doesn't serve only as inspiration for a thousand awkward neckbeard ERPs?

It exists its just more about playing a being of excess rather than a rape marine. It can certainly be swung that way but its not built to assume you need to be rolling for anal circumference.

Blueballs
Jul 15, 2003
We used that link from earlier in my group on Sunday to get some characters together and there is also a ship creator there. One of my friends who has zero knowledge of the 40K universe was tasked with creating the ship. He handed me an extremely badass frigate with no gellar field generator.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Blueballs posted:

We used that link from earlier in my group on Sunday to get some characters together and there is also a ship creator there. One of my friends who has zero knowledge of the 40K universe was tasked with creating the ship. He handed me an extremely badass frigate with no gellar field generator.
Isn't that mandatory? Like if you are actually following the creation rules properly you can't NOT have one?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yup. Although I suppose in theory you could play an in-system ship like a defense monitor or something, just tooling around your star system or something.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Could someone please check my working here? I've never played any PnP RPGs before but my nephew and I tried out one of the demo Deathwatch games last night.
I was playing as both the GM and a Devestator marine, with him as Assault - just using the demo characters provided.

This was what we got when I blasted an approaching Rebel Horde with my Heavy Bolter.. just want to make sure I'm getting the process correct.

I'm using a full action to use Full Auto Burst +20 BS
BS is 48 + 20 for Full Burst + 30 for massive mob - 30 for darkness + 10 for close range = 78, I rolled a 27. So a hit, with 5 degrees of success"

Each degree of success adds a hit roll, and my Unrelenting Devastation adds 1 point of magnitude damage per hit.
Heavy Bolter does 2d10+10 and I rolled for each of the 6 hits :
2d10+10=28, 2d10+10=19, 2d10+10=24, 2d10+10=23, 2d10+10=27, 2d10+10=23
Total = 144 points of damage - 3 for Toughness Bonus - 0 for No Armour

For every 15 points of damage we remove 1 damage from magnitude.

That's 9 damage to magnitude, plus another 6 for each hit = 15 magnitude damage.
So the Horde's magnitude drops from 32 to 17.

Is that all correct?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Zereth posted:

Each degree of success adds a hit roll, and my Unrelenting Devastation adds 1 point of magnitude damage per hit.
Heavy Bolter does 2d10+10 and I rolled for each of the 6 hits :
2d10+10=28, 2d10+10=19, 2d10+10=24, 2d10+10=23, 2d10+10=27, 2d10+10=23
Total = 144 points of damage - 3 for Toughness Bonus - 0 for No Armour

That's 9 damage to magnitude, plus another 6 for each hit = 15 magnitude damage.
So the Horde's magnitude drops from 32 to 17.

Is that all correct?
Each extra hit has toughness and armour applied individually, but that's not actually relevant- the '15 damage' mentioned in the example is just 'As long as it would do any damage, for example 15 which is a number >0, it removes 1 magnitude'. As far as I can tell you should've done 6 magnitude (1 per hit) +6 (+1 per hit from Unrelenting Devastation) +1 for using an Explosive-damage weapon. So 13 damage.

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 6, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

unicr0n posted:

I'm not sure where this is from. Each hit that would cause damage does one magnitude damage. It represents you blowing a guy into chunks with a heavy bolter shell. The amount of damage the hit does is largely irrelevant as long as it's enough to beat the toughness and armour, each hit kills one dude who is not important enough to track an HP total for. Except in your case, it would be two because of the trait.

So, you hit 6 times, each causing damage, with a bonus point of magnitude damage for each hit, causing 12 magnitude damage total.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

unicr0n posted:

I'm using a full action to use Full Auto Burst +20 BS
BS is 48 + 20 for Full Burst + 30 for massive mob - 30 for darkness + 10 for close range = 78, I rolled a 27. So a hit, with 5 degrees of success"

Okay heres how it works if you do a single point of damage with an attack it causes 1 magnitude damage. Additionally bolters are explosive weapons which means another 1 magnitude damage a hit. So with 5 success (assuming you do atleast 1 damage after toughness and armour) you will do 10 points of damage. Unrelenting Devestation does an extra 1d5 magnitude damage on top of that.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 6, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Explosive does an extra point? I did not know that.

edit - Wait, poo poo. Is it even consistent across games?

goatface fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

goatface posted:

Explosive does an extra point? I did not know that.

edit - Wait, poo poo. Is it even consistent across games?

Not sure, it was introduced in Deathwatch where hordes were introduced soooooo.