Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
When I was in Korea it happened a lot. I don't know if I find it surprising, but it was usually the dudes who had been in the army the longest. You had your kids who'd just gotten in and were planning on marrying their high school sweet heart blah blah blah who'd just sit in their room and Skype all the time. You'd still get one or two that were supposedly engaged or whatever who'd end up getting sloppy sevenths on a juicy girl, but yeah, the older guys seemed to give no gently caress. Something that particularly springs to mind was one of our section sergeants who couldn't wait 24 hours to hit him some hooker poon tang. Our platoon sergeant was an unabashed player who had all the slutty looking Thai chicks sucking off his rank.

I remember this one dude I went to basic with came along to Korea and he hit every piece of rear end on the peninsula. His game was mighty. Korean, American, whatever. Dude was unstoppable. Also, married.

Combat arms is a loving sausage fest though so I couldn't tell you what the ladies got up to. We had a small (but not that small) preggo company attached to our battalion for PT, so at least some of the Joettes were obviously getting busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Thanks for the answers. I know it was a bit of a heated question, so it's appreciated. No :spergin:, was really just curious.

Some things that caught my attention:

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Sometimes Joe putting his meat into Joette blows up into a huge deal and a bunch of other dudes who want some of Joette wind up punching people. Then life gets weird.

That pretty much screams 'great story in the making.' Prithee, continue.

not caring here posted:

Combat arms is a loving sausage fest though so I couldn't tell you what the ladies got up to. We had a small (but not that small) preggo company attached to our battalion for PT, so at least some of the Joettes were obviously getting busy.

This made me wonder: what are the regulations on pregnancy? I seem to remember that anyone getting pregnant while deployed would be sent back home if they were overseas, but this may not be the case (or it's outdated or whatever).

Also: I've really had to wonder how BCP and other fundamentally female things work in the military, of all loving places, 'cause it seems like it'd be a goddamn nightmare.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's still the case, and it'll take a woman off the deployable list if it happens when she's at home. And yes, it's been used to get out of deployments, which causes problems. There was a running joke with one of my friends where people were asking how far along she was, stuff like that...she had to explain to the commander that it was, in fact, just a joke.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

An Old Boot posted:

That pretty much screams 'great story in the making.' Prithee, continue.

If you've ever been around a bunch of hormonal boys and girls, say high-school or college, you've seen the same thing. Girl sleeps with boy, other boys are jealous, boy pisses off girl, girl cries to other boys, boys beat up boy, drama bomb.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I thought about starting a thread, but I'd better ask here first. Came into some money, is there any kit worth buying on my own dime?

I've heard that the following are pretty handy:

- Gore-Tex Socks
- Claymore Bag
- Malice Clips
- Boots (Heard a bunch of different brands, not sure what to buy)
- Rifle Sling

Does anybody have non-issued kit they can't go without?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

For?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Boots are a universal thing that's generally accepted if it's within regs.

Rifle slings are a personal preference, but again your command might have restrictions on what types/ how many points you can have on them. I was always a big fan of 1 and 2 point slings myself but if you're a fobbit walking around with a 3 point might be better!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Aight, I just started reading the non cop threads, what the gently caress is the deal with Grover and some Grover drama and something called the groverhaus?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:munch:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Smiling Jack posted:

Aight, I just started reading the non cop threads, what the gently caress is the deal with Grover and some Grover drama and something called the groverhaus?

Groverhaus is what people did when they made fun of the house Grover was working on. It was kinda funny at the time but has been really played out. There's stuff on youtube and I think the SAlopedia about it.

NO YOU MOTHERFUCKERS THIS IS NOT A GOOD TIME TO POST GROVERHAUS

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Edit

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 22, 2015

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's always a good time to post groverhaus

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Smiling Jack posted:

Ok I'm going to sum this up really quickly and somewhat lovely.

Long long ago grover decided he wanted to build a house for him and his family. He went and did that but sadly what he had in motivation he lacked in competence and his home was kind of a ghetto as poo poo hovel that was at best inefficient and at worse dangerous. Grover tried to get his home OKed by the inspectors but they all said no bro. So grover went and got himself certified to inspect it himself and did it. Word got out about this and after some internet detectiving photos were posted on SA.

Thermostats were placed in stupid locations, stairs were insulated, and several more serious structural problems were apparent. To be fair a few of the claims you hear are exaggerated, but the house was dumb as poo poo. Goons had an absolute field day making fun of grover, but eventually the admins stepped in because like literally everything else that has ever happened on SA people went too far, to the point of potentially bothering his children and wife.

Now where this ties into GiP. The very first GiP started out as an Ask/Tell thread. Surprising to nearly everyone there were a lot more mil dudes on SA than anyone had previously thought, to the point where the thread became extremely clumsy and far too big to be useful. Mil goons asked for their own forum, or at least a subforum but were told no numerous times. The admins said it'd be too small, it'd be a huge honeypot for trolling and general idiocy, etc etc. Well eventually GiP was made a rotating subforum, and finally the forum it is today, I believe in Mid to late 2010. All I know for sure is I came back from Afghanistan and it existed.

Well forums need mods and grover was chosen because, well I think the admins just recognized his name. He posted a lot in proto GiP and the admins thought he was Mil? Despite him being a civilian contractor working for the military. Shortly after grover was chosen Hagetaka, now known as GD American, was made mod as well.

Before long grover started to really annoy a lot of the popular GiP posters. He said a few stupid things, such as claiming to have the same authority as a Colonel in the military, and having more military experience than many GiP posters. Eventually the vast majority of GiP came to hate grover and wanted him demodded. Now this is where it gets hazy. It was pretty obvious that the administrators were annoyed with grover for some time. He had pretty much no friends among his fellow moderators and was really kind of a laughing stock in the eyes of most of the posters all over SA.

The final straw was grover probating a few posters, AB and myself maybe a few others, for posting a .gif of Katy Perry saying it was misogyny. In March of 2012 Rrail and several others put together the "Get Out Grover" campaign to have grover demodded. You can read the website which still exists here: http://grovesey.blogspot.com/ Almost all of the popular GiP posters gave themselves avatars demanding that grover step down or be fired. Before long he was and GD became the sole mod of GiP.

The administrators claimed the decision was a long time coming and "Get Out Grover" had nothing to do with it. People involved in "Get Out Grover" believe the admins were just trying to save face and look authoritative. Whether or not "Get Out Grover" was the reason he was fired is up to debate.

Nowdays grover still posts a lot in GiP. The man loves himself lasers and crazy future weapons, he even made a pretty popular thread here about them. Grover is still given a lot of poo poo for stuff he has said as well as groverhaus, as goons called it. Every so often someone posts stuff about it again and we all laugh until Vas tells us to stop. For the most part grover is an accepted "member" of GiP though a lot of milgoons, especially those who have been around for a while, still don't like him and probably never will.

gleep gloop fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 6, 2013

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The CF is out of boots, so I only have one pair. That's a pretty key piece of kit I want to pick up before going on exercise this summer.
e: Is there any particular brand that holds up well in wet weather / swamp?

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 6, 2013

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

:stare:

Okay then

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I had to look up what exactly gore-tex socks were and just about had a stroke looking at the price :catstare:

The only thing I know about military socks is that the issue ones are absolute trash, didn't even last we all the way through basic, and fox river's are loving expensive but have lasted me more than 18 months now and probably last a good while longer.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Smart wool socks. A bit pricey but holdup great to abuse. I'll throw them all crusty and stiff in the wash after a long hike and they come out good as new. They're a bit thick so take that into account.

Never had a blister, ever.

I've been meaning to try fox river.

What exactly is it for/what is your job

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 6, 2013

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Ignorant civilian here. I've had a very small question bugging me for months now. I used to have a former SEAL buddy who told me that he had to take some kind of obstacle course which included swimming 200 yds. underwater or something like that. I haven't seen him for years, so I'm just wanting to verify. Is that accurate or am I mis-remembering? Anybody have good infos on this qualifying test he was referring to?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Considering your friend probably wasn't a SEAL and no one here is who knows.

Why do you want to know about something so mundane and particular?

You can look up the screening requirements for those kind of jobs online

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 7, 2013

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Genuinely wanted to register the name GROVER CURES HOUSES but.....

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Oxford Comma posted:

Genuinely wanted to register the name GROVER CURES HOUSES but.....

Shutup please.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Christoff posted:

What exactly is it for/what is your job

Artillery gunner, doing a summer of exercises and a comms / mortar course.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Artillery gunner, doing a summer of exercises and a comms / mortar course.

Well I assume you guys already have lawnchairs then and poo poo but this is the single best field investment I've ever made. (Yes, next to my field pillow and sleeping mat)

And for reference this is groverhaus

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Christoff posted:

Considering your friend probably wasn't a SEAL and no one here is who knows.

Why do you want to know about something so mundane and particular?

You can look up the screening requirements for those kind of jobs online

There have to be tons of former seals around. I'm not gonna try to convince you.

And I'm just working on my personal record just to have that as a benchmark to shoot for, if it is in fact correct. I was hoping that would be an easy one for somebody to answer off the top of their head, is all.

He said in fact that he had to do 200 yds. underwater in the dark or something insane like that. Everything I've heard about SEALs makes me think it's plausible, but 200 yds. is a gently caress of a lot and I doubt I'll ever reach it myself.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The requirements to get a SEAL contract are pretty drat easy to be honest. And it'll always be open.

Now whether you make it through the pipeline or ring the bell and become a boatswain's mate is another.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Christoff posted:

The requirements to get a SEAL contract are pretty drat easy to be honest. And it'll always be open.

Now whether you make it through the pipeline or ring the bell and become a boatswain's mate is another.

I always heard most people who train for SEALs don't make it all the way through training and testing and all. But this was all in the 90s, back when I knew this guy.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

I just wanted to fit in. :ohdear:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

SnakePlissken posted:

I always heard most people who train for SEALs don't make it all the way through training and testing and all. But this was all in the 90s, back when I knew this guy.

For the last long while (At least 5+ years?) they've had a program called "pre-BUDs" which has raised the attrition number a lot. So instead of getting thrown into BUDs straight from boot camp you go to a special division in boot camp that swims and works out more and then you go across the street to pre-buds where you workout even more for 8 weeks I think it is?

Don't get me wrong you have to be in shape. But it's the mental challenge I assume where people fail.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

The CF is out of boots, so I only have one pair. That's a pretty key piece of kit I want to pick up before going on exercise this summer.
e: Is there any particular brand that holds up well in wet weather / swamp?

Any of the boots you get are going to get trashed if they get wet. The leather ends up shrinking, and getting waves which will eventually give you blisters. Depending on what your chain of command allows you to wear, go for something made of more modern materials in the lightest weight, least leather you can find. I guess the newer Rocky S2Vs, Nikes, etc are popular. I've had a few friends who owned OTB Desert Lites, which are made by New Balance, and they have pretty good things to say about them.

When you are done for the day, and your boots are super wet, take out the insoles and pack them with newspaper (or whatever paper). This will help dry them out, but more importantly retain the shape of the toe. As a very boring but "no poo poo" anecdote, I took my 3-day soaked boots off and tossed them in the sun to dry. When I went to put them back on they were rock hard, and had waves in the toe so deep my toes getting trashed. My feet were so swollen from the rucking we did, and they had shrunk so badly, that even without the insole or socks my feet couldn't fit inside of them. Luckily I had pass the school and was done with that crazyness, so I soaked them in the sink to get them soft and wore them around with no socks, and no insoles for the last day we were there. There was a lot of walking very slowly. When I got home they ended up in the trash.

The best boot you will ever wear, but has nearly no protection for your feet, can be found at the boot shops near Fort Bragg. They make a "SOPC Special" which is a regular Army boot with no heel cup, no toe cup, and the thinnest sole they can put on them. When you're walking in the rivers with those, they feel like moccasins.

Christoff posted:

For the last long while (At least 5+ years?) they've had a program called "pre-BUDs" which has raised the attrition number a lot.

Yes.

edit: That was a really long post about boots, and I could probably write even more about socks. For hot weather, buy the "Athletic" Smart-Wool ones (not the boot ones, they're too hot), and follow the wash instructions. Other cool-guy gear to look at are some quality radio pouches. Most of the mil issue is garbage compared to a Tac Taylor radio pouch. It'll orient the radio towards you, so you can release the buckle to have it fold away, instead of having to take it out of the pouch to look at the screen.

There are also some awesome "War Belts" floating around, so you can move your side arm, IFAK and "survival kit" (lighter, knife, etc) off your shoulders and down to your hips. I picked up the HSGI one a few weeks ago and its great. It really helps keep things more modular, so if you need to take your plate carrier off you can still have some of your essentials.

I'd also throw another vote out there for a sling. I really like the Viking Tactical one not so much because of how you mount it (1, 2 or 3 point) but because of the quick tighten/quick release on the sling length. For example if you're bending down to pick a litter up, you can loosen the sling, flip your weapon to your back, and tighten it back down. It'll help keep it from coming back (compared to a non-adjustable length sling) and butt-stroking the guy on the litter in the face.

There's a thread in TFR if you want more ideas on how to waste your money.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 7, 2013

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Christoff posted:

For the last long while (At least 5+ years?) they've had a program called "pre-BUDs" which has raised the attrition number a lot. So instead of getting thrown into BUDs straight from boot camp you go to a special division in boot camp that swims and works out more and then you go across the street to pre-buds where you workout even more for 8 weeks I think it is?

Don't get me wrong you have to be in shape. But it's the mental challenge I assume where people fail.

When I went to boot camp, when dinosaurs roamed Great lakes, there was a buds screener test that took place at the pool in the very early morning. Guys headed to buds would have to pass the test, but would be "failed" over and over again so that they could PT with the seal guys in the morning before returning to the division. Eventually they were passed and off to Coronado they went.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Christoff posted:

Somewhere in there he used his life savings to build a house...addition to his house, or something. He ignored advice from posters on this forum about quality and no electrical engineer would sign off on his house to get the city permit or some poo poo so he just took the state exam and did it himself. Any mention of groverhaus or trolling him = ban. gently caress just google groverhaus. The only thread live on the forums about it is full of praise for his project but he was probably a mod then so y'know.
The irony is... everything you and gleep glop just described about groverhaus were LF fakeposts. LF circlejerked so long and so hard, they started believing their own fakeposts. I posted that thread years before I was a mod, and it turned out super nice when it was done; there was nothing but praise at the time and for several years after that. The photos that LF dug up many years after that were all in-progress shots that people made fun of for looking half-done (no poo poo). There is no load-bearing drywall. The electrical is all high quality and properly installed. The windows were laid out to accommodate a large patio and pergola that hadn't been built yet. The insulation under the stairs was for acoustic dampening of footfalls. It meets all building codes and passed all building inspections. I got my PE license about 6 months after the final inspection was signed off by the city. But none of that matters because it's a meme now.

grover fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 8, 2013

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

grover posted:

The irony is... everything you and gleep glop just described about groverhaus were LF fakeposts. LF circlejerked so long and so hard, they started believing they were real and convinced everyone else. I posted that thread years before I was a mod, and it turned out super nice when it was done; there was nothing but praise at the time and for several years after that. The photos that LF dug up many years after that were all in-progress shots that people made fun of for looking half-done (no poo poo). There is no load-bearing drywall. The electrical is all high quality and properly installed. The windows were laid out to accommodate a large patio and pergola that hadn't been built yet. It meets all building codes and passed all building inspections. I didn't get my PE license until about 6 months after the final inspection was signed off by the city. But none of that matters because it's a meme now.

reported for discussing grovehaus

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone explain the origin of the Briana Manning joke? I seem to recall hearing somewhere claims at one point that he was gay and being mistreated while in prison due to it....except there was never any evidence for anything....but that's about it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

gfanikf posted:

Can someone explain the origin of the Briana Manning joke? I seem to recall hearing somewhere claims at one point that he was gay and being mistreated while in prison due to it....except there was never any evidence for anything....but that's about it.
It's not a joke. He She started calling himself herself Breanna, and D&D got upset that we Gippers were so insensitive as to still be calling him her Bradley instead of Breanna.

Wikipedia posted:

In April, just as WikiLeaks published the [collateral murder] video, Manning sent an e-mail to his master sergeant, Paul Adkins, saying he was suffering from gender dysphoria and attaching a photograph of himself dressed as a woman. Captain Steven Lim, Manning's commander, said he first saw the e-mail after Manning's arrest – when information about hormone replacement therapy was found in his room in Baghdad – and learned that Manning had been calling himself Breanna. Manning told Lamo that his commander had found out about the gender issue before his arrest, after looking at his medical files at the beginning of May. He said he had set up Twitter and YouTube accounts in Breanna's name to give her a digital presence, writing in the Lamo chat: "i wouldn't mind going to prison for the rest of my life, or being executed so much, if it wasn't for the possibility of having pictures of me ... plastered all over the world press ... as [a] boy ... the CPU is not made for this motherboard ..."

e: sorry, horribly insensitive, but caught myself and fixed it.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

gfanikf posted:

Bradley Manning stated he believes he is transgendered and D&D rallied around this. They started calling him Brannan and would ignore anyone who didn't refer to Bradley as a she.

What's hilarious is Bradley's lawyer has put out a statement saying he does not want to be called she or Brianna so lol.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
D&D: a home to Gender Studies undergrads

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:stonk:

That is pretty ridiculous. Nothing like people who want to advance an issue...even when a person doesn't want them too.

Thank you both.

Oh man I wonder if Bradley's ever realized how badly used he got by Julian just to pull of his epic gently caress you dad.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

gfanikf posted:

:stonk:

That is pretty ridiculous. Nothing like people who want to advance an issue...even when a person doesn't want them too.

Thank you both.

Oh man I wonder if Bradley's ever realized how badly used he got by Julian just to pull of his epic gently caress you dad.

I think he may now sincerely believe, after the fact, the whole "I did it to expose wrongs done by the US government" angle that his lawyer has said. It was obvious at first that he just copied whatever secret info he could get his hands on without a care for what was in it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

I think he may now sincerely believe, after the fact, the whole "I did it to expose wrongs done by the US government" angle that his lawyer has said. It was obvious at first that he just copied whatever secret info he could get his hands on without a care for what was in it.

Yeah, it's painfully obvious when you consider the random rear end stuff he was grabbing, he was still in gently caress you dad stage. Still I guess that fiction allows Bradley/Bradina to cope in how badly Assange used him and tossed him aside.

Anyway thanks for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

gleep for official gip historian

• Locked thread