Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Shibboleth maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Mescal posted:

What's the term for a clue for insiders that outsiders don't notice? For example, a business name that says "Christian-owned business" to only people familiar with certain biblical vocabulary.

Dog whistle.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RaoulDuke12 posted:

drat, here in CA the tenant board told me all I have to do is send correspondence requesting that a repair be done, and that if it isn't within 14 days, I may elect to have it repaired myself and deduct it from my rent, no court necessary. Were they lying to me or is this just California being crazier than the rest of the country?

Probably not lying. Some municipalities allow that, though it's getting to be fewer. But CA has pretty tenant friendly laws, so it doesn't surprise me.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Jizzbot posted:

Shibboleth maybe?

Gobbeldygook posted:

Dog whistle.

Dog whistle is closer to what I was thinking of. Is there a foreign loanword people use for this?

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
I found several old inkjet printer cartridges from printers I had in the late 90s, early 2000s. There's no reason I can't put those in the recycling thing at Best Buy or Staples, right?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Is there any special reason iTunes updates so often? It seems like every three weeks or so. I don't know any other piece of software that needs so much updating.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Hoops posted:

Is there any special reason iTunes updates so often? It seems like every three weeks or so. I don't know any other piece of software that needs so much updating.

On windows? I noticed that long ago and steered clear of it ever since because it seemed like really lovely software. My guess was that it's not running in their usually homogeneous environment so they had to continually update it to keep up with Windows updates.

Which was weird because you think they would have strived to make it as awesome as possible to attract people to the IOS/OSX platforms.

My question, why can't chrome and flash seem to get along? I'm assuming one or the other is at fault but I haven't seen anything definitive on who or why.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What's that term used when everybody is jumping on one guy for his mistakes? I remember seeing it quite a few times on this forum.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Vegetable posted:

What's that term used when everybody is jumping on one guy for his mistakes? I remember seeing it quite a few times on this forum.

Dogpiling?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Vegetable posted:

Dogpile, or piling on?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Yes, that's it. Thanks guys.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Windirstat is what you're looking for.

Or possibly Disk Space Fan.

Mescal posted:

Dog whistle is closer to what I was thinking of. Is there a foreign loanword people use for this?

Yes, it's shibboleth.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Yes, it's shibboleth.

A shibboleth is, in a sense, the opposite of a dog whistle. It's used to identify outsiders rather than secretly communicate with insiders.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Are these aphids or ?

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

Are these aphids or ?

Yeah those are aphids.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Mescal posted:

A shibboleth is, in a sense, the opposite of a dog whistle. It's used to identify outsiders

And then execute 20k of them over a few days for not being able to do a proper rolled-r Spanish pronunciation of their word for Parsley. I looked up dog-whistle something on wikipedia last night, which lead me to shibboleth which led me to some of the craziest poo poo I've read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsley_Massacre

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

On windows? I noticed that long ago and steered clear of it ever since because it seemed like really lovely software. My guess was that it's not running in their usually homogeneous environment so they had to continually update it to keep up with Windows updates.

Which was weird because you think they would have strived to make it as awesome as possible to attract people to the IOS/OSX platforms.

My question, why can't chrome and flash seem to get along? I'm assuming one or the other is at fault but I haven't seen anything definitive on who or why.

I've been kind of wondering myself what the hell is going on with flash lately. It's never been the greatest thing I guess, but it seems like now it freezes up and crashes constantly.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

Giant Squid posted:

A recent report about my city stated that Blacks are 42% of the total population, but only 25% of the eligible workforce. How exactly is a metro area's eligible workforce calculated, and what are some factors that could account for such a large gap between between a group's share of the overall population and its share of the eligible workforce?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unemployment#United_States_Bureau_of_Labor_statistics

It sort of depends on what definition of "workforce" your article is using. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics has various ways of including/excluding certain populations from the definition of a workforce, including discouraged workers (based on status of looking for work/having given up on looking for work), unable to work (because they are disabled/imprisoned/etc), attachment to jobs (the definition of which is really arbitrary and I don't fully understand myself), and so on. See whether your article cites which measure of unemployment, formatted as U#, it's using.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Is there a way to stop junk mail addressed to a deceased person who has never even lived at my address*? Mostly I'm trying to figure out if this is something I need to take up with the USPS or with the companies that are actually sending the mail. I would just ignore it, but it seems to be increasing in volume lately.

*I had the USPS forward my mom's mail to me because I needed to pay her bills as they came, but now I'm getting a thousand credit card applications and lots of stuff from the AARP's little spin-off companies pushing medical and life insurance (ironic).

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

drat Bananas posted:

Is there a way to stop junk mail addressed to a deceased person who has never even lived at my address*? Mostly I'm trying to figure out if this is something I need to take up with the USPS or with the companies that are actually sending the mail. I would just ignore it, but it seems to be increasing in volume lately.

*I had the USPS forward my mom's mail to me because I needed to pay her bills as they came, but now I'm getting a thousand credit card applications and lots of stuff from the AARP's little spin-off companies pushing medical and life insurance (ironic).

I had this app on my phone called paper karma for a long time that cut down on our junk a lot. You just take a photo of the junk and they send a form letter to the sender to quit. It worked pretty well for credit card offers and mail for the old resident we were getting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

drat Bananas posted:

You can write REFUSED or RETURN TO SENDER on it and place it back in your mailbox, and many of them should stop sending the stuff once they get it back.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

drat Bananas posted:

Seconding the recommendation for paper karma. We've been using it for several months and it has dramatically cut down junk mail.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Can anyone help me learn more about these masks I bought at the flea market?

I bought the red one and the skull mask. I think the red mask is a replica of a Tibetan death mask (likely since it was only 25 bucks, but still made of wood), but I have literally no clue about the other. These are just going to be props for a play I'm staging, but it'd be nice to know about their cultural background.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Vegetable posted:

Around here, "bandwagon" seems to be more common than "dogpile."

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Noni posted:

Around here, "bandwagon" seems to be more common than "dogpile."

Bandwagon is more for a whole bunch of people doing the same thing, not necessarily just ganging up on someone.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Is it normal for a water lily to sprout pads that open underwater (only a few inches above the base) instead of going to the surface? The one I have has some pads on the surface, but lately it's just been sprouting a bunch of runts underwater.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
My water lilies tend to start doing that when they're getting crowded or the water they're growing in gets disturbed too much. I usually take underwater runts as a sign that I need to thin the herd and start digging out tubers to replant elsewhere. If they aren't overly crowded and you're still having that problem, it could just be that you got some dumb lilies that are having a hard time finding the surface and need a little coaxing upward. Sometimes I have to pull 'em up a little everyday for a while to let them know where the sun is.

I'm an expert on totally ridiculous things...

edit: I should clarify that sometimes the pads open underwater and then float up after a while. If they aren't surfacing and clinging in about a week, that's when I get worried a bit.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 7, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is there a simple way to loop a video on YouTube?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

tarepanda posted:

Is there a simple way to loop a video on YouTube?

https://www.youtubeonrepeat.com

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Perfect! Thanks.

... now after hearing the same song 7-8 times in a row, I realize I don't like it as much as I thought I did.

Ecojiro Desu
Feb 19, 2005
Also http://www.youtuberepeater.com/ and you can paste the youtube link after the slash.

Okay, this one has been bugging me for a while.

A short humor/trivia book was recently released. Each chapter is a year–1, 2, 3, and so-on–and lists what interesting things notable people did at that age. It's an incredible little volume that really makes you feel lazy. It also has awesome, eerie illustrations throughout, which is the main reason I'm hunting. I don't know the author or illustrator, and my search terms are too generic to return anything useful.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I've heard British people on UK television refer to POTUS as simply "the president." Is this common? I guess when Americans say "the Queen" everybody knows which one they mean, but it seems a little funny.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Mescal posted:

I've heard British people on UK television refer to POTUS as simply "the president." Is this common? I guess when Americans say "the Queen" everybody knows which one they mean, but it seems a little funny.
Yeah, if you said "the President" without context, just about everyone would take it to mean Obama. He's like the most famous man in the world.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Hoops posted:

Yeah, if you said "the President" without context, just about everyone would take it to mean Obama. He's like the most famous man in the world.

Except in other countries that also have presidents, I'd imagine.

Japan has a Prime Minister and so does Great Britain, but since I live in Japan my automatic assumption is that they're talking about Abe, not about Cameron.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mescal posted:

It's generally clear from context, unless another country is explicitly mentioned it refers to the US, and POTUS is a funny word.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Cakefool posted:

POTUS is a funny word.

Took me a while to figure that one out, President of the United States. :toot:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Why does gmail search consistently return zero results? It'll even autofill out the highly specific phrase I'm searching, and then not find it.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Is there a list somewhere of all the interesting military project things that have happened. I know of some like Operation acoustic kitty, mk-ultra and Mincemeat, but there must be loads that i don't know about, where can I find more?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It feels like there's something stuck in my throat. It's not painful at all, just incredibly irritating. It's making me drink a lot of water and cough a lot. Any suggestions on possible causes, or more importantly, solutions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Crankit posted:

Is there a list somewhere of all the interesting military project things that have happened. I know of some like Operation acoustic kitty, mk-ultra and Mincemeat, but there must be loads that i don't know about, where can I find more?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Central_Intelligence_Agency_operations

Wikipedia's good at this sort of thing, just search things you know about and then look for the related articles or categories sections.