Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cross-posting form the phones thread:

If you're not using Swype on your phone, Google just made their stock JB keyboard available in the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin

Yay! No more AOSP keyboard for me :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

teagone posted:

Cross-posting form the phones thread:

If you're not using Swype on your phone, Google just made their stock JB keyboard available in the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin

Yay! No more AOSP keyboard for me :dance:

This is the AOSP keyboard.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

This is the AOSP keyboard.

The AOSP keyboard doesn't have the gesture typing feature though. At least, not in CM10 for my Galaxy S Blaze.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah the AOSP keyboard included with CM is not as feature complete as the keyboard packaged in Nexus devices.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
That's weird, my CM10.1 install has all the features.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

That's weird, my CM10.1 install has all the features.

You're right, I have CM10.1 on my TP and that does have the gesture typing with the AOSP keyboard. My phone, however, only has CM10 builds for it and that doesn't include the gesture typing. Was the feature brought on-board with 4.2? For some reason I thought it was just inherent with Jelly Bean from the start, but I guess it was included in the next iteration of JB.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It's possible yeah but there was a definite difference between the AOSP keyboard and the supplied Nexus keyboard for quite awhile. Either way, it's nice to see more and more core apps hit the Play Store.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
What core app's aren't in the play store these days? The only thing I can think of is the basic email app, the browser (but we get chrome), and the camera app.

Why bother going to stock Android? :shepface:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mogomra posted:

What core app's aren't in the play store these days?
Launcher, Browser, Calculator, Camera, Clock, Email, Gallery, Messaging, News & Weather, People/Contacts, Phone, Settings.

There's obviously a plethora of third-party, AOSP-derived builds of many of the above available, but in terms of official Google-published apps I think that's the list.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's also Downloads (pretty sure this is a standalone APK) and, of course, Play Store, itself.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 6, 2013

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Launcher, Browser, Calculator, Camera, Clock, Email, Gallery, Messaging, News & Weather, People/Contacts, Phone, Settings.

Also the lock screen. So on touchwiz devices there still aren't lockscreen widgets.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Still early days but 4.2.2 on HTC One is really good. dunno what they've done but battery life is a billion times better (conservative estimate).

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

WastedJoker posted:

Still early days but 4.2.2 on HTC One is really good. dunno what they've done but battery life is a billion times better (conservative estimate).

No loving kidding, I'm at 24 hours off charge with 58% left. This is so much better.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

WastedJoker posted:

Yep. Am on ARHD 10.0 and battery life is incredible. It's almost at Note 2 levels.

It's also drat stable, haven't had any hiccups or reboots. It locked up once for a few seconds but turning the screen on and off fixed it.

Only thing I'd like to see is a solution for the no lockscreen widgets. I still haven't thought of any real useful things to do with them, but would be cool to have.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I've been using the nightlies for cm10.1 for a while, is it worth flashing RC4 instead?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

anime and cars posted:

I've been using the nightlies for cm10.1 for a while, is it worth flashing RC4 instead?
Depends on what nightly you're on. There's no reason not to just update to the latest nightly as the only thing that's been broken in a long time has been RC3.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

AppleCobbler posted:

Yep. Am on ARHD 10.0 and battery life is incredible. It's almost at Note 2 levels.

It's also drat stable, haven't had any hiccups or reboots. It locked up once for a few seconds but turning the screen on and off fixed it.

Only thing I'd like to see is a solution for the no lockscreen widgets. I still haven't thought of any real useful things to do with them, but would be cool to have.

I'm using arhd 10 as well. Smooth as butter with greatly improved battery life. Some of the little features in 4.2/sense 5 are really nice. I feel like this was a huge improvement that made the best phone even better!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

WastedJoker posted:

Is this a pre-release version of the official version from HTC or are you on some ROM?

Edit: I guess the question is should i be expecting this type of battery life from vanilla stock 4.2.2 or are you guys getting some additional optimizations for that ARHD Rom you guys are talking about?

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 6, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Mister Fister posted:

Is this a pre-release version of the official version from HTC or are you on some ROM?

Edit: I guess the question is should i be expecting this type of battery life from vanilla stock 4.2.2 or are you guys getting some additional optimizations for that ARHD Rom you guys are talking about?

TrickDroid, ARHD and Renovate are the three big HTC One ROM's and all users across those three ROM's are reporting better battery life. I guess it's more down to framework than any custom work by the creators of those roms.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

WastedJoker posted:

TrickDroid, ARHD and Renovate are the three big HTC One ROM's and all users across those three ROM's are reporting better battery life. I guess it's more down to framework than any custom work by the creators of those roms.

Ok cool, this is the first phone i've had where i have 0 desire to root/ROM it, guess i'll just wait a couple weeks when the official 4.2.2 comes out! Thanks!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

So I've softbricked my GSM Galaxy Nexus a couple of times, trying to load CM 10.1 RC4 on there on with WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit. Now I've properly installed CM 10.1 using the instructions on the CM site. But how do I get Google apps back on there? Installing gapps seems to be what was screwing up my phone in the first place.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

So I've softbricked my GSM Galaxy Nexus a couple of times, trying to load CM 10.1 RC4 on there on with WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit. Now I've properly installed CM 10.1 using the instructions on the CM site. But how do I get Google apps back on there? Installing gapps seems to be what was screwing up my phone in the first place.
Assuming you're coming from stock you just flash the 4.2.2 GApps from goo.im.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

ParanoidAndroid has been released for the HTC One:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2313194

or here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2310732

no idea why there's two threads :psyduck:

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 7, 2013

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I recently rooted my S2 Skyrocket and I'm wishing to get into this whole custom ROM thing, but there are so loving many that it's hard for me to tell what is what. I've been searching for a good comparison of different ROMs but the best I found was the little 'ROM tracker' that lists them all, but no easy comparison of features/support (here). Is there a good comparison somewhere out there that does what I'm looking for? Or perhaps someone can post a brief comparison of the major players ITT...

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

S-OFF now available for HTC One:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2314582 (preview only but it works)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Assuming you're coming from stock you just flash the 4.2.2 GApps from goo.im.

This seems to work great, thanks. Is there a dummies' guide to this stuff anywhere? I'd like to avoid asking more stupid questions.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
My phone updated to Hangouts and the new Gmail yesterday and ugh, what a clusterfuck of lovely use design.

Edit: vvv I was just grousing because I mistook this for the general Android thread. vvv

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 8, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

tarepanda posted:

My phone updated to Hangouts and the new Gmail yesterday and ugh, what a clusterfuck of lovely use design.

So remove the updates? Not sure what this has to do with rooted phones.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Just bought the wife a used Galaxy S 2 and... its AT&T. Whoops. We will be using T-Mobile.
I found an application to remove the network lock but it requires rooting. Now for the questions:
1) Does rooting change any of the 'look' of the phone? I want to be sure before I start changing things for her.
2) Are there any updated guides for the S 2? Everything I can find is rather old.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Mrit posted:

Just bought the wife a used Galaxy S 2 and... its AT&T. Whoops. We will be using T-Mobile.
I found an application to remove the network lock but it requires rooting. Now for the questions:
1) Does rooting change any of the 'look' of the phone? I want to be sure before I start changing things for her.
2) Are there any updated guides for the S 2? Everything I can find is rather old.

Rooting will add a yellow triangle with exclamation mark at the boot screen and a SuperUser app in your App Drawer.

The S2 is pretty "old" so most guides will be 1.5/2yrs old by now.

Edit: I speak as a UK user. I have little to no understanding of whatever gay-rear end american weirdness your providers may introduce.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Looks like all of the rooting apps/guides are for Android 2.2/2.3 not 4.0, to time to dig into the internet!

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Mrit posted:

Looks like all of the rooting apps/guides are for Android 2.2/2.3 not 4.0, to time to dig into the internet!

The AT&T S2 is super easy to root and there won't be a triangle on the boot screen unless IIRC you install a kernel from the international S2. The absolute easiest way would be to use ExynosAbuse, because the security hole it uses AFAIK was never patched on the AT&T model. Next easiest is to download a pre-rooted OS (which is the standard OS with Superuser added to the system partition) and flash it with Odin or Heimdall.

Samsung devices are usually very simple to root, they don't take steps to prevent it (unless requested by carriers) but there is an internal counter in the device which is tripped only when you install an unofficial kernel.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

i barely GNU her! posted:

The AT&T S2 is super easy to root and there won't be a triangle on the boot screen unless IIRC you install a kernel from the international S2. The absolute easiest way would be to use ExynosAbuse, because the security hole it uses AFAIK was never patched on the AT&T model. Next easiest is to download a pre-rooted OS (which is the standard OS with Superuser added to the system partition) and flash it with Odin or Heimdall.

Samsung devices are usually very simple to root, they don't take steps to prevent it (unless requested by carriers) but there is an internal counter in the device which is tripped only when you install an unofficial kernel.

It looks like it was patched a month ago, it errors out now. Found confirmation on xda-developers. Going back to the drawing board, looking at some other options.

Edit: Installed the exact same Android version(4.0.4) onto the phone with root included, then used the free version of GalaxSimUnlock. Worked like a charm!

Mrit fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 8, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mrit, you are aware that an AT&T Galaxy SII (SGH-i777) can't operate on T-Mobile unless you're in a refarmed area, right?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Mrit, you are aware that an AT&T Galaxy SII (SGH-i777) can't operate on T-Mobile unless you're in a refarmed area, right?

I thought it worked, you just couldn't use the 1700 band, and since I'm in Seattle we have LTE now anyways. Is that incorrect?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mrit posted:

I thought it worked, you just couldn't use the 1700 band, and since I'm in Seattle we have LTE now anyways. Is that incorrect?
The SGH-i777 doesn't have LTE.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The I777 will work on T-Mo anywhere, it's just that if you're not in a refarmed market with UMTS/HSPA on 1900/PCS, you're stuck at EDGE speeds. Some folks consider that sufficiently useless that it's the same thing as "won't work", but you can still do voice calls, SMS, very light data. However, given you have T-Mo LTE on AWS, I would imagine you're in a refarmed market anyways.

Now, I'm of the opinion that the I777 is an inferior device compared to the T-Mo SGS2 or the Skyrocket, particularly from a reliability standpoint. But if you can make it work well enough for your purposes, wonderful.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The I777 will work on T-Mo anywhere, it's just that if you're not in a refarmed market with UMTS/HSPA on 1900/PCS, you're stuck at EDGE speeds. Some folks consider that sufficiently useless that it's the same thing as "won't work", but you can still do voice calls, SMS, very light data. However, given you have T-Mo LTE on AWS, I would imagine you're in a refarmed market anyways.

Now, I'm of the opinion that the I777 is an inferior device compared to the T-Mo SGS2 or the Skyrocket, particularly from a reliability standpoint. But if you can make it work well enough for your purposes, wonderful.

Luckily all she will use it for is web browsing, email, and occasional videos. And according to http://www.airportal.de/ the whole area has been refarmed.

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The contract on my Iphone went up and decided to get an HTC One this time. I rooted it and put trickdroid on it to get to 4.2.2. There is one thing I'm confused about right now. When browsing the files with a file viewing app, I have the folder sdcard, which has all my files in it, but then there is also the storage folder, and in that two folders, emulated and sdcard0, sdcard0 shows pretty much the same files as sdcard, and the folder named emulated has two more folders in it, 0, and legacy. Which one of these is actually my files? I'm not really sure whats safe to delete if any of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath

Bacon Drew posted:

The contract on my Iphone went up and decided to get an HTC One this time. I rooted it and put trickdroid on it to get to 4.2.2. There is one thing I'm confused about right now. When browsing the files with a file viewing app, I have the folder sdcard, which has all my files in it, but then there is also the storage folder, and in that two folders, emulated and sdcard0, sdcard0 shows pretty much the same files as sdcard, and the folder named emulated has two more folders in it, 0, and legacy. Which one of these is actually my files? I'm not really sure whats safe to delete if any of these.

I recall reading through the Android Revolution HD thread (which moved a page a second last time because the update was barely released) and I think if you can at least see any of your contents from your SD card, that you're fine and don't really need to do anything else. The problem is only if you don't see anything at all upgrading from 4.1.2, if I recall correctly.