Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Calde posted:

No, Solars walking around being the only solution to every problem is an awful trait of 2nd Edition. Poor Alchemicals, not allowed to ever tell stories about curing the Machine God; you need a Solar Exalt for that!

If you'll note I said Solar or Infernal or DB, but really any PC group could have an adventure around it, either searching for an artifact, or doing some hard core research and development with lots of experiments, or maybe finding a way to talk to Gaea. My point was less big problems for Solars to solve, and more big problems for PCs to solve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

Talkie Toaster posted:

Yeah, the 'We have millions of charms! Charms for everything and everyone!' bit came up with the Abyssals faff. I appreciate that they've got a lot of experience fixing the old system by writing tons of charms and stick with what you know and all that, but it seems like there's got to be better ways of solving these problems, that won't involve adding a completely unplaytestable quantity of stuff.

Funny thing about Dragon-Blooded in particular, imo the best way to handle the Avatar-style element bending they want them to have is to have LESS charms and LESS specifics of how you use those elemental powers. If anything it should be a very small handful of General charms or even an innate power, keyed off of their Aspect, that is very broad in use and leaning toward narrative and can be mixed and matched with a variety of Abilities.

Capfalcon posted:

To my (admittedly lacking) understanding, Essence was the closest thing that Exalted had to levels (i.e. At Essence 3, you get access to these charms and you get so many motes a round, at Essence 4 you get access to these charms, etc).

So, was Breeding a merit that gave you access to higher essences? Like you had to have breeding 3 to be able to get essence 3 or whatever? If so, I know RPGs are kind of rife with the awesome now/suck later and suck now/awesome later character growth plans, but that's... a really impressively bad design decision.

No. The only thing Breeding did was give you more motes in your Personal and Peripheral mote pools. Some Dragon-Blooded charms also had Breeding as a prerequisite.

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 6, 2013

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

So, was Breeding a merit that gave you access to higher essences? Like you had to have breeding 3 to be able to get essence 3 or whatever? If so, I know RPGs are kind of rife with the awesome now/suck later and suck now/awesome later character growth plans, but that's... a really impressively bad design decision.

It gave you bigger essence pools. If you don't know Exalted very well, think of it as having more MP in a JRPG - only MP is also your health bar.

It also allowed you access to certain powers with the Purity Keyword.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

I'm bored and rule discussions about 3e keep coming up, especially with how they've basically been implenenting other people's rulsets or house rules as core mechanics, so I feel like posting some of my own that I'm using in 2e currently and in the past.

quote:

Attributes
Strength may be used in place of Dexterity when attacking but you lose your accuracy bonus from weapons (ohno)
Ranged attack (Archery, Thrown, MA using ranged weapons) may use Perception in place of Dexterity
Wits may be used in place of Dexterity for calculating Dodge Defense Value

Charms
You may build expansions on any Martial Arts styles you know after learning the capstone.
Sidereals may make custom charms. I don't give a gently caress.

Combos
Spend one Willpower, make a combo out of any charms you know that have the appropriate Keywords.

Health Levels
When tracking your health levels use the following.
0: Essence * 5 + Stamina
-1: Essence * 2 + Stamina
-2: Essence * 2 + Stamina
-4: Essence * 2 + Stamina (Essence * 5 + Stamina for Lunars)
Incapacitated: Essence * 5 + Stamina (Essence * 10 + Stamina for Lunars)
Dying: Essence * 5 + Stamina (Essence * 10 + Stamina for Lunars)

We also use a reworked form of chargen that's entirely XP based instead of the weird and poorly balanced bullshit of dot and bonus point chargen. Its based off of Solar XP tables, which I have everyone use regardless of what splat they're playing because gently caress not having a centralized XP table for the entire game.

I'm currently sifting through weapon and armor revisions that I might want to steal ideas from, as well as kicking mass combat out of the game and instead using something closer to Swarms in nwod or Hordes in Deathwatch/Dark Heresy , as well as Squad rules from said game for anyone using War.

As a final disclaimer; I don't use PC chargen or stats for my antagonists. I'd have to say I run them more like an encounter from something like Fourth Edition Dungeons and Dragons, complete with multi-phase boss fights and once-per-encounter powers. And of course a fine balance of (loving huge amounts of) Health levels and defensive traits, tailored so my group can actually be effective. Finally, the gentleman's agreement; I almost never use Perfect defenses or effects. It makes sense for PLAYERS to posses those kind of things in the hyper lethality of the game, but NPCs? gently caress that noise.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Your combo houserule is actually less charitable than the current Ex 2.5 errata, which I heavily recommend using if you're gaming-- that just made everyone's charms innately able to be combo'd if they were combo-ok.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I seem to remember one of the devs posting that they won't be charging people a willpower point to use multiple charms together, which isn't the same thing as them not charging people experience points to buy combos in the first place...

Then again, combos as specific XP-costing elements that differentiate one character from another could be cool in a system that allows you to freely retrain combos you're getting tired of and that isn't trivially solvable such that there's one megacombo that every single character wants to be running at all times.

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal

Strength of Many posted:

I'm bored and rule discussions about 3e keep coming up, especially with how they've basically been implenenting other people's rulsets or house rules as core mechanics, so I feel like posting some of my own that I'm using in 2e currently and in the past.

Wait, they're just copying peoples house rules as core mechanics? How do you know this given that they haven't even really said anything about the core mechanics

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

Nightskye posted:

Your combo houserule is actually less charitable than the current Ex 2.5 errata, which I heavily recommend using if you're gaming-- that just made everyone's charms innately able to be combo'd if they were combo-ok.

Removes the purpose of Willpower management as a resource. I also don't care about their PD or ping changes so that's another factor behind it.

QuintessenceX posted:

Wait, they're just copying peoples house rules as core mechanics? How do you know this given that they haven't even really said anything about the core mechanics

The 2.5 errata was more or less other people's house rules that have been floating around for years, tweaked and rewritten to fit their (and the fandom's) inane biases. Their track record across previous books (Alchemicals especially) and Ink Monkeys articles of writing really either really bland garbage, really bland broken garbage, or hyper specific garbage was mostly Holden and Hatewheel's work. Again, all of it catering to the paradoxical fixations of their fandom, and most of it incredibly uninspired mechanically speaking. Anything noteworthy was the last vestiges of Neph's work, such as Thousand Correct Actions and Broken Winged Crane. This does not set a good precedent for their lead writers assigned to mechanics.

Momentum is, thus far, looking like a gimmicky system for recharging what are the equivalent of Encounter/Daily powers from 4e (see: Tyrant Lizard stat block.) The social system sounds very strongly like its going to be the Doors one from nwod. Chances are their mass combat fixes will be Swarms from nwod, if not an 'adaptation' of Hordes and Squad rules from Dark Heresy and Deathwatch.

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 6, 2013

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

QuintessenceX posted:

Yes this is the first I am hearing about it. I mean, if the rules work great but that is quite the statement.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

QuintessenceX posted:

Having an extremely common house rule become "official" seems like good attention to the public rather than theft, IMO. I know GURPS had a few, even if they were in some cases 'as an alternative to this, try having ST represent HP through ability to carry axe wounds in your meatbulk, and HT representing Fatigue through your superior cardio!' That said, it's also a major rules shift, so who knows

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal

Strength of Many posted:

Removes the purpose of Willpower management as a resource. I also don't care about their PD or ping changes so that's another factor behind it.

The 2.5 errata was more or less other people's house rules that have been floating around for years, tweaked and rewritten to fit their (and the fandom's) inane biases. Their track record across previous books (Alchemicals especially) and Ink Monkeys articles of writing really either really bland garbage, really bland broken garbage, or hyper specific garbage was mostly Holden and Hatewheel's work. Again, all of it catering to the paradoxical fixations of their fandom, and most of it incredibly uninspired mechanically speaking. Anything noteworthy was the last vestiges of Neph's work, such as Thousand Correct Actions and Broken Winged Crane. This does not set a good precedent for their lead writers assigned to mechanics.

Momentum is, thus far, looking like a gimmicky system for recharging what are the equivalent of Encounter/Daily powers from 4e (see: Tyrant Lizard stat block.) The social system sounds very strongly like its going to be the Doors one from nwod. Chances are their mass combat fixes will be Swarms from nwod, if not an 'adaptation' of Hordes and Squad rules from Dark Heresy and Deathwatch.

Man, you and I don't have the same tastes at all. I dug alot of the Ink Monkeys poo poo and so far I've really enjoyed most of the books put out by the new group. Who is Neph, just out of curiosity?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

QuintessenceX posted:

Man, you and I don't have the same tastes at all. I dug alot of the Ink Monkeys poo poo and so far I've really enjoyed most of the books put out by the new group. Who is Neph, just out of curiosity?

Same here, the ink monkeys stuff did what it could with the pile of poo poo that was the 2e rule-set. Dawns needed help (better option would be not to dump all combat abilities into one caste but I am not holding my loving breath that they will fix this in 3e) perfects were too cheap (they should just go period but hey, TRADITION) and free to combo charms were rad as hell. Willpower was already a resource for like 20 other things, it was still super important regardless.

Plague of Hats posted:

I am not certain, but I think there will be some sort of Breeding Merit. It's not going to be a barrier to Charms or affect mote pools, though. We are being very careful with motes.
Hopefully it is a social merit.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 6, 2013

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

QuintessenceX posted:

Neph is Nephilpal, aka Michael Goodwin, who wrote, among other things, the Charms for 1e Alchemicals, 2e Infernals, and Abyssals of all editions so far.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair

QuintessenceX posted:

Michael Goodwin. He worked on the Alchemicals (1e), Abyssals (Both), and Infernals (2e), I believe. Other things too, I'm sure, but that's what I recall most distinctly. As far as I know, he's a very controversial author, with a lot of people having strong feelings one way or the other about his work. Or at least a few very loud people. Since I don't really have a dog in the race of any of the Exalts he wrote for, I don't have much of an opinion on him myself. I do very much like the work the Ink Monkeys have done so far, though. With one glaring exception, obviously.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
If you ask me, the black mark in Nephilpal's record is his attempt to introduce target number manipulation to the World of Darkness for no loving reason whatever. I've always liked his Abyssals and Alchemicals stuff, though I've never read Infernals. Didn't he also do the Mountain Folk?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Neph brought me into the industry, taught me a lot about design and got me hooked on writing RPGs so I both love and hate him.

Ferrinus posted:

Didn't he also do the Mountain Folk?

Yes.

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.

Ferrinus posted:

If you ask me, the black mark in Nephilpal's record is his attempt to introduce target number manipulation to the World of Darkness for no loving reason whatever. I've always liked his Abyssals and Alchemicals stuff, though I've never read Infernals. Didn't he also do the Mountain Folk?

Neph's Infernals Charms I think are pretty widely regarded as being among the best (or possibly the best) Charmset in 2e, as far as being both evocative, engaging, and mechanically sound.

Which is not to say there weren't problems with it, but at least those problems weren't rape ghosts.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
As for theories on the reason of decline, perhaps it might be in part due to the Law of Diminishment.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Mikan posted:

Neph brought me into the industry, taught me a lot about design and got me hooked on writing RPGs so I both love and hate him.

Ah, so here we have the actual black mark on his record.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Attorney at Funk posted:

Ah, so here we have the actual black mark on his record.

:kiddo:

QuintessenceX posted:

We can't know anything because they still refuse to release actual mechanics, all we have to go on are vague promises and out of context previews. I'm still surprised so many people are willing to take a chance on this.

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal

Mikan posted:

:kiddo:

We can't know anything because they still refuse to release actual mechanics, all we have to go on are vague promises and out of context previews. I'm still surprised so many people are willing to take a chance on this.

I completely agree. I cannot tell you how frustrating it was when I realized that combat was pretty much over before it started in 2E. I'm waiting on some replies from Holden, but if I don't hear from them I'm going to go from 500 dollars pledged to 35 in a second specifically because of the lack of a mechanics preview.

BryanChavez posted:

Michael Goodwin. He worked on the Alchemicals (1e), Abyssals (Both), and Infernals (2e), I believe. Other things too, I'm sure, but that's what I recall most distinctly. As far as I know, he's a very controversial author, with a lot of people having strong feelings one way or the other about his work. Or at least a few very loud people. Since I don't really have a dog in the race of any of the Exalts he wrote for, I don't have much of an opinion on him myself. I do very much like the work the Ink Monkeys have done so far, though. With one glaring exception, obviously.

Why isn't he around anymore? He seems like he had a good run then. Admittedly 2E Abyssals were boring as poo poo, but Infernals had some excellent charm/crunch.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Perhaps it'll just be D20 rules with a note of 'oh just do it in Fate or *World anyway we give up'.

For myself I admit happily I am supporting (if with... reservations, amply discussed in the past thread) 'Exalted: the setting and property' rather than 'ExaltedEngine: the last word in elfgaming" and I expect something better than 2E for a system. I don't expect it'll be super drastically different but I'm OK with that; my main hope is for it to be somewhat simpler, but not 'so simple you can write your character sheet in your hand' simple.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 6, 2013

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair

QuintessenceX posted:

Why isn't he around anymore? He seems like he had a good run then. Admittedly 2E Abyssals were boring as poo poo, but Infernals had some excellent charm/crunch.

No idea. I mean, if my mechanics turned up in the same book as the Lillun comic (and concept), I'd sure as poo poo bail out of the entire thing immediately, but I don't have an official story beyond the fact that he bowed out sometime last year, I think.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Strength of Many posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhh. I think it gets plenty enough use as the fuel for Virtue channels and the various mandatory crap that is resisting UMI charms. That kinda additional tracking is really unappealing to me.

Tastes vary, of course, but I think you're probably the first person I've ever seen who prefers base 2E rules to the 2.5 errata (or, I suppose much more likely, you simply prefer your own mish-mash of house rules to theirs, in which case fair enough).

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

AFAIK, Neph got hit by the White Wolf mass layoff and elected to work on grad school instead of continuing to develop RPGs from hereon out, minus a guest appearance in Mummy for NWoD to stink up the joint with TN adjustment magic.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
So in the last thread I stated that I was always interested in Exalted but had never bought or played it because it was the game with animal loving, The Rape CHild, and really - like, even in this industry, significantly - poor mechanics.

Here is what I know of Exalted 3e:

* Rape ghosts

So how are the mechanics looking, or is this going to be another case of "Man there sure could be a good game in there somewhere, too bad it is covered in excrement"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

So how are the mechanics looking, or is this going to be another case of "Man there sure could be a good game in there somewhere, too bad it is covered in excrement"
As it stands it's "Boy they sure are telling us it's going to be good but not showing us anything but the vaguest of out of context snippets of mechanics".

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
* Books will have several hundred charms
* There is literally a mechanic called Solar XP
* Backgrounds and merits are turning into D&D Feats
* Solars get free Excellencies because
* NPCs are still made using PC rules

There's more, some of it not terrible - like cracking down on multiattacks - but all in all I'm not sure what people are expecting.

E: Like, it's still vague, but it peels back the veil just enough to see old things that were huge problems coming back in some form and bringing some new friends.

Chaotic Neutral fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 6, 2013

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Chaotic Neutral posted:

* Books will have several hundred charms
* There is literally a mechanic called Solar XP
* Backgrounds and merits are turning into D&D Feats
* Solars get free Excellencies because
* NPCs are still made using PC rules

There's more, some of it not terrible - like cracking down on multiattacks - but all in all I'm not sure what people are expecting.

E: Like, it's still vague, but it peels back the veil just enough to see old things that were huge problems coming back in some form and bringing some new friends.

The hundreds of charms looks to be true (E: But then again the 2e core had about 300 charms and I didn't think that was unwieldy, soooo), but as for the rest...

1) There is a system like Arcane XP or Practical XP in NWoD for giving people a secondary source of XP that can't be spent on charms or essence, ensuring that there's less opportunity cost in picking up skills, merits and attributes.
    2) D&D Feats have nothing to do with it. Where on earth did you get that impression? :confused: Instead Backgrounds and Merits are being put in the NWoD Merit framework, which allows for more versatile costing and easier balancing.
    3) The speedbump of Excellencies have been removed, with you automatically getting the ability Excellency (which adds dice on standard rolls and successes on static values) in every caste and favoured ability and getting other ability's excellencies as soon as you buy a charm for them.
    4) There will be a system for generating quick, simple NPCs, although you'll probably want to stat up big bads using the PC rules.

Seriously, there's justifiable pessimism and then there's just making things up.

Flavivirus fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 6, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Look it's just called Solar XP, but everybody gets it even if they're not solars!

Also, Martial Arts is the term for several different interlocking but distinct things.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Flavivirus posted:

1) There is a system like Arcane XP or Practical XP in NWoD for giving people a secondary source of XP that can't be spent on charms or essence, ensuring that there's less opportunity cost in picking up skills, merits and attributes.
It's the name that makes me laugh. I mean, seriously? Solar XP.

quote:

2) D&D Feats have nothing to do with it. Where on earth did you get that impression? :confused: Instead Backgrounds and Merits are being put in the NWoD Merit framework, which allows for more versatile costing and easier balancing.
On re-reading, I suppose that's fair. I saw the change in ranking and recoiled all the way back. Of course, if their best ideas are all looting from WoD.. I'm not sure that should engender a lot of confidence either.

quote:

3) The speedbump of Excellencies have been removed, with you automatically getting the ability Excellency (which adds dice on standard rolls and successes on static values) in every caste and favoured ability and getting other ability's excellencies as soon as you buy a charm for them.
Assuming you're a Solar, anyway. Has that actually been confirmed as a thing for everyone? The entire rest of the document doesn't refer exclusively to one type when it's talking about things for characters. (Unless it's Solar XP, I guess?)

quote:

4) There will be a system for generating quick, simple NPCs, although you'll probably want to stat up big bads using the PC rules.
Which has, traditionally, worked poorly. Like in 2e.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Chaotic Neutral posted:

That's the temporary working name.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Chaotic Neutral posted:

If I was being charitable I'd say it's called Solar XP because it focuses on mortal excellence and arete by being spendable only on skills, attributes, and merits, and thus is in-theme for solars. It's still a bit janky, but coming from NWoD's Arcane XP, Practical XP, Vitriol, and Sebayt XP I guess I'm used to it.

quote:

Assuming you're a Solar, anyway. Has that actually been confirmed as a thing for everyone? The entire rest of the document doesn't refer exclusively to one type when it's talking about things for characters. (Unless it's Solar XP, I guess?)

It's at least been confirmed that the other splats won't have excellency speedbumps, but I think nothing more than that has been discussed.

quote:

Which has, traditionally, worked poorly. Like in 2e.

Pretty sure 2e didn't have any kind of quick NPC system that wasn't fanmade, and the ones that were (e.g. Epsilon's or Voidstate's) worked pretty well when I was running the game. What system are you referring to?

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
It's entirely possible that I'm just really oversensitive to the history of 'everything is about the Solars, even things that aren't about Solars' and stupid forced poo poo like the different XP tables, but I can't help being suspicious of it all.

Flavivirus posted:

Pretty sure 2e didn't have any kind of quick NPC system that wasn't fanmade, and the ones that were (e.g. Epsilon's or Voidstate's) worked pretty well when I was running the game. What system are you referring to?
Not the quick as much as the 'using PC generation rules' part - honestly, I can't think of many games where that's ever really worked out well, but it's a particularly grim idea when they're sticking to the 'hundreds of charms' thing.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Chaotic Neutral posted:

If I recall correctly, the only splat where it's still up in the air w/r/t Excellencies is the Alchemicals. I assume it's because they can hotswap their Charms and that would get weird.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Pretty sure I've also heard that different XP tables are going away, and certainly Solar XP is something all the splats can earn.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Flavivirus posted:

Still a bit disappointing Excellencies haven't just been removed. They're boring, they compete with other far more interesting charms for your motes and using them is generally an exercise in figuring out how much essence you need to dump into them to hit your expected target. My group ran a campaign where we dumped them and just let you reroll a failed check once per session per point of permanent essence, that seemed to work for helping you pass checks you absolutely needed to pass.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The complaints about having too many Charms doesn't really make sense to me. D&D 4e had over a hundred powers per class and that works out alright, grognards aside. The better complaint is that the charms look like they're too specific, requiring all those extra Charms. Like, you need a separate Charm for an air slash and an air bolt, according to the new Dragon-Blooded preview. The few preview charms we've seen also accomplish very focused effects. It's actually a big concern to me.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

pospysyl posted:

The complaints about having too many Charms doesn't really make sense to me. D&D 4e had over a hundred powers per class and that works out alright, grognards aside.
Well, a big thing with 4e powers is that even with the classes with sprawling lists to choose from, they were broken up into much smaller chunks by level, powers were presented in a simple block form with usually standardized effects, and you only had a finite number of powers available at a single time to a character. It was still a bit too sprawling, but it was still pretty manageable. Unfortunately Exalted's charm list (in 1e and 2e anyway) doesn't share this... there's hundreds available at any one time, many of them have unique and elaborate mechanics, and there's theoretically no limit to the amount of charms most characters could have beyond experience limits and GM patience. Way more unwieldy in practice.

At least Exalted has nothing really resembling Feats, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

Asimo posted:

Well, a big thing with 4e powers is that even with the classes with sprawling lists to choose from, they were broken up into much smaller chunks by level, powers were presented in a simple block form with usually standardized effects, and you only had a finite number of powers available at a single time to a character. It was still a bit too sprawling, but it was still pretty manageable. Unfortunately Exalted's charm list (in 1e and 2e anyway) doesn't share this... there's hundreds available at any one time, many of them have unique and elaborate mechanics, and there's theoretically no limit to the amount of charms most characters could have beyond experience limits and GM patience. Way more unwieldy in practice.

At least Exalted has nothing really resembling Feats, though.

Charms basically are feats.

Look at how many Permanent ones they started producing near the later end of 2e's cycle that existed only to add some kind of fiddly bonus or what not.

• Locked thread