Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gonna make a Hellenic custom ruler and reform Rome, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Gonna make a Hellenic custom ruler and reform Rome, I think.

That's a funny way to say "become Basileus of Macedon, Hegemon of the Hellenic League, Shahanshah of Persia, Pharaoh of Egypt, and the Lord of Asia".

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 6, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Should probably mod in some more appropriate titles and things for Hellenic, first.

I'd do it myself, but I'm not great at coming up with that kind of thing.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
I was thinking of doing the same thing and did some research to see where the least ridiculous place for a Greek Paganism revival would be, and according to WP there were at least some places in the Mani peninsula that were still pagan up until the 9th century. Which is pretty cool.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I feel sadly compelled to register a correction. I previously stated, repeatedly, that military organization 4 removed the horrific supply limits on pagan homelands. I inferred this from the tooltip on military organization 4, which states, "Removes the Pagan Homeland attrition penalties."

Having now actually reached mil-org 4, I can confirm that it does no such thing. The attrition is just as high as ever.

Maybe it refers to removing the attrition penalty if the province (or province-owner) has mil-org 4? In which case, uhh...

My enthusiasm for this mechanic is dwindling rapidly.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Strudel Man posted:

Should probably mod in some more appropriate titles and things for Hellenic, first.

I'd do it myself, but I'm not great at coming up with that kind of thing.

I'm working on it, in a patchwork sort of fashion. Although I started doing it so I could have a Lacedaemonian based state. If this doesn't go the way of my dwarf fortress mod I'll post it.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I set up a bunch of marriage pacts with Sweden and Denmark but when my son inherited they don't show up in his ally's screen. However, he shows up as an ally of the King of Denmark and the King of Sweden. They keep calling me into wars but I never have the option to ask them to help me out. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

What made Paradox think mass peasant rebellions was a good idea again? If I wanted to play whack-a-mole, I'd play every other GSG they've churned out.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dirty_Moses posted:

What made Paradox think mass peasant rebellions was a good idea again? If I wanted to play whack-a-mole, I'd play every other GSG they've churned out.

It's probably there to give you something to do, and give you an incentive to keep the revolt risk down.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

I feel sadly compelled to register a correction. I previously stated, repeatedly, that military organization 4 removed the horrific supply limits on pagan homelands. I inferred this from the tooltip on military organization 4, which states, "Removes the Pagan Homeland attrition penalties."

Having now actually reached mil-org 4, I can confirm that it does no such thing. The attrition is just as high as ever.

Maybe it refers to removing the attrition penalty if the province (or province-owner) has mil-org 4? In which case, uhh...

My enthusiasm for this mechanic is dwindling rapidly.

Yep, the province owner needs to have org 4. Which is stupid as gently caress.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

SeaTard posted:

I'm assuming it's a bug, not a deliberate design choice.

On a related note, the likelihood of someone agreeing to give you a concubine seems to be based on the would-be concubine's opinion of you rather than their own.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
So I had a decent Zoroastrian game after about two tries.

My newest strategy was to basically just immediately convert to sunni and trash Persia from within during my lifetime, all the while keeping my heirs groomed under zoroastrian tutors, so that when I finally bit the bucket as a huge mega-persia I could start converting. :black101:

It was actually pretty easy in the end, highly recommended for anyone having difficulty playing as zoroastrians.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

A Tartan Tory posted:

My newest strategy was to basically just immediately convert to sunni and trash Persia from within during my lifetime, all the while keeping my heirs groomed under zoroastrian tutors, so that when I finally bit the bucket as a huge mega-persia I could start converting. :black101:

It was actually pretty easy in the end, highly recommended for anyone having difficulty playing as zoroastrians.

That is dastardly sneaky!

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

SeaTard posted:

I'm pretty sure it requires your realm to have an AVERAGE tech level of 4, because the patchnotes for the latest, beta version say that they're changing it from requiring the average to just looking at your capital's tech.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

A Steam only beta patch? The tears over at the Paradox forums must be over following

Feel pretty dumb for getting the game on Gamersgate back when it came out now. And I'm too broke to shell out for another set of game+all DLC for Steam now. =(

Also, are you allowed to call up console commands in the code? Say if I wanted an "abdicate and convert to merchant republic" decision caused by handing a duchy to an heir and then using the "play charid" command to shift to the new person, would that work?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

A Tartan Tory posted:

That's clever, sacrificing your very soul to Angra Mainyu so that your descendants may always walk in the light.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

So with the CK2 republic game play are you suppose to be unable to sieze cities in provinces that have your trade post rather than someone else's?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

It's probably there to give you something to do, and give you an incentive to keep the revolt risk down.
Yeah, eh. I can't say I'm a fan, personally. Especially since, and this probably isn't a big factor or anything, but I think about the CPU cycles added by every new character created everywhere in the world whenever there's a rebellion, and all of them pretty much completely pointless, because they almost never win.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, eh. I can't say I'm a fan, personally. Especially since, and this probably isn't a big factor or anything, but I think about the CPU cycles added by every new character created everywhere in the world whenever there's a rebellion, and all of them pretty much completely pointless, because they almost never win.

Now that the timeline's extended, the game really should prune all characters who aren't family to title holders 100 years after their death.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is there a quick and easy way to make it so that you only need 50% of a duchy to claim the title. the change to 51% seems to be entirely based on making being king of Ireland more of a pain in the rear end, and I'm still learning the game, so I'd rather a slightly easier start.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Skwirl posted:

the change to 51% seems to be entirely based on making being king of Ireland more of a pain in the rear end, and I'm still learning the game, so I'd rather a slightly easier start.

No, it's so people stop usurping same duchy from each other every 5 years or whatever the usurp cool down is.
Ireland is slow and dull place to start in, recommendations to play it are from the old times, don't do it. For easy mode yet with possibilities maybe play one of HRE northern dukes - Flanders, Holland, Brunswick.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
What are you talking about, Ireland is always perfect for every type of game. I've won as a Christian, a Muslim, a merchant and once I beat this game, a pagan.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I've barely had time to conquer 3 provinces in Ireland, playing as Iceland, before 3800 rebels pop up with a marshal 26 leader :psyduck:

I don't think all of ireland could muster that many troops, what the gently caress?

e: And now apparently the dude can summon 4000 guys whenever he pleases, without using mercenaries.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 6, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Pimpmust posted:

I've barely had time to conquer 3 provinces in Ireland, playing as Iceland, before 3800 rebels pop up with a marshal 26 leader :psyduck:

I don't think all of ireland could muster that many troops, what the gently caress?

e: And now apparently the dude can summon 4000 guys whenever he pleases, without using mercenaries.
Another reason to dislike the new rebels. The number of troops they can muster is only loosely correlated at best to the number of troops in the area.

When I was playing as Mali, I got an adventurer coming after me with something like 1.5x the maximum I could call, as a beloved and long-ruling leader. That was annoying.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Charlemagne? Pfff. It's all about Charle-man. (I had no part in this. It's terrifying.)

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

What would the conditional be to make it so republics can't do holy wars?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

How can I tell if a civil war has started? England and Scotland is a mess of factions for new kings, but I dont see anyone throwing down yet.

Also, once they do, how do I take advantage?

edit: my 4th daughter just blackmailed me for 50 gold. Im so proud :3:

Loel fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 6, 2013

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Gorelab posted:

What would the conditional be to make it so republics can't do holy wars?

I think the condition you want is is_republic = no.

LowellDND posted:

How can I tell if a civil war has started? England and Scotland is a mess of factions for new kings, but I dont see anyone throwing down yet.

Also, once they do, how do I take advantage?

Click on one of the king's provinces, and under his portrait should be a list of wars he's involved in, shown as the coat of arms of his enemy with a little sword banner under it. Each one will tell you the name of the war and who's fighting (and who's winning) if you mouse over it. Once there's a "So-and-so's war for England" going, you're good.

As for taking advantage, the best way would be to declare some kind of war or other on one of the participants. Generally a faction member who isn't the leader will be weak, and won't end the war if he gets conquered completely. That way you can snipe at a few of them as the war drags out, and then not have a truce with the king when it ends. Alternatively, if someone's pressing a claim on the throne for the civil war, anyone with a weak claim can jump in. Find a claimant, get the claimant to have babies of your dynasty, and jump in to the civil war as faction #3.

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 6, 2013

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Do Reformed Norse get to declare another Great Holy War after some period of time, or is it a one time only thing?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Ron Hitler-Barassi posted:

Do Reformed Norse get to declare another Great Holy War after some period of time, or is it a one time only thing?

It uses same crusade logic I think - at least 30 years between and limited to one per religious head, so next one can happen when 30 years pass and Fylkir(or whatever the title was) changes

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
So I'm playing as Gotland from a 1066 start. The Hansa formed and stole 4 of my tradeposts via event. They then revolted against the HRE and promptly got conquered by Denmark :woop:. Can the event to create them fire again or am I safe from competition?
Also, I formed the Kingdom of Finland and now I can't give away my duchy Finland title (Republic of Finland). I have 2 or so vassals who want it and I'd be happy to give it to one of them but it just doesn't show up in the "award landed title" menu, whereas all my other duchies like Gotland and Estonia do. What's the problem here?

Edit: Oh and why can't I usurp kingdoms and empires as a Republic? Do I have to make the King of Sweden landless to destroy the title now? Usually I would just usurp and then destroy.

Gorelab posted:

So with the CK2 republic game play are you suppose to be unable to sieze cities in provinces that have your trade post rather than someone else's?

I think it should work for every trade post in another republic.

If I'm reading the CB code correctly, this should guarantee that:
code:
trade_post_owner = {
					OR = {
						character = ROOT
						is_liege_or_above = ROOT
					}
				}
Are you going for their capital somehow?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 6, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Edit: Oh and why can't I usurp kingdoms and empires as a Republic? Do I have to make the King of Sweden landless to destroy the title now? Usually I would just usurp and then destroy.

WAD for balance reasons, I believe. If all you want is to destroy the title, then conquering his final de jure county in Sweden should do the trick.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

So having no idea what I was doing, I got this game and started playing as the Count Artau of Lyon in the HRE. I'm currently without the Old Gods expansion. I got to be the Duke of Dauphine pretty fast, but I'm not sure where to go from here, having just made a few claims on the area around me. I think I did decently enough on marriages though; my second wife was the daughter of the Kaiser, and one daughter became the Queen of Poland while the other is the Queen of Castille.

I also discovered that my second-eldest living son was apparently Superman:

And so I promptly assassinated my eldest so that he would inherit, which he now has.

Any advice on what to do? I'm still very new.
Artau II's wife is also a homosexual. This hasn't prevented her from providing two sons but I'm kind of wary.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 6, 2013

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

WAD for balance reasons, I believe. If all you want is to destroy the title, then conquering his final de jure county in Sweden should do the trick.

Well I intended to destroy all kingdom titles I come across and only keep Finland once I form Scandinavia. That would make my vassals less powerful if I keep each one of them to one duchy, right?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

bewilderment posted:

Any advice on what to do? I'm still very new.
Artau II's wife is also a homosexual. This hasn't prevented her from providing two sons but I'm kind of wary.

It depends on what you want to do.
The HRE has a tendency to disintegrate every once in a while; if you've got the manpower, you could either back the Emperor and hope for a better title afterwards or try to carve out your own little territory.
Regardless of the mega-civil wars, you could always look to expand a bit if Crown Authority lets you. Or get some claims through marriages and expand that way.
Hell, try to get a member of your own Dynasty to be Emperor.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

kingturnip posted:

It depends on what you want to do.
The HRE has a tendency to disintegrate every once in a while; if you've got the manpower, you could either back the Emperor and hope for a better title afterwards or try to carve out your own little territory.
Regardless of the mega-civil wars, you could always look to expand a bit if Crown Authority lets you. Or get some claims through marriages and expand that way.
Hell, try to get a member of your own Dynasty to be Emperor.

I've stayed out of all the HRE civil wars so far. Kaiser Heinrich is super-strong and the HRE is practically taking over Italy. The downside of playing within the HRE, as I've discovered, is that even with a de jure claim on a county, if it's a member of a kingdom under the empire instead of an independent duchy, I can't declare war on it. Likewise, I can't declare war on other independent kingdoms/duchies myself. Heinrich was nice enough to at one point lead an army in to take a county for me, but since then he hasn't done much besides quell the constant civil wars and eat Italy. Things might improve once he dies.

My first goal will probably be to reform the Kingdom of Burgundy as a whole, but it'll be tough.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Welp, I was closing in on Justinian's borders and then one homosexual queen later and everything is falling apart. I'm trying to hold everything together from the inside as the Queen of Greece.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

SeaTard posted:

Actually I think it's related to the other tech bug where it bases costs, construction time and unit strength not on the tech level in your capital but on the average tech level in your realm. This is fixed in the beta patch.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Well I intended to destroy all kingdom titles I come across and only keep Finland once I form Scandinavia. That would make my vassals less powerful if I keep each one of them to one duchy, right?

You can actually keep the Kingdom titles for yourself along with the Empire, and still limit your vassals to duchies. The only opinion penalty they get is "desires the Kingdom of X"; there's no limit on Kingdom titles like there is for duchies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

You can actually keep the Kingdom titles for yourself along with the Empire, and still limit your vassals to duchies. The only opinion penalty they get is "desires the Kingdom of X"; there's no limit on Kingdom titles like there is for duchies.

Are you sure it doesn't limit it to 2 or 3 kingdoms? And that opinion penalty is actually one of the things I'm trying to avoid.

• Locked thread