Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

People in NZ are a little bit more knowledgeable, but if you have something oddball like a SM or whatever you get issues.

"Oh yup what sort of bike have you got?"
"Kawasaki ZRX"
"..."
"...it's...kind of a 'muscle' bike, but retro, you know?"
"So a sportsbike?"
"No not at all."
"Oh so a cruiser!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I, too, have attempted to explain that my bike is not a crotchrocket to no avail. Ninja 250s and SV650s are not crotchrockets!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I, too, have attempted to explain that my bike is not a crotchrocket to no avail. Ninja 250s and SV650s are not crotchrockets!

They're faster than fat hogs, therefore crotchrocket :downs:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Girl asked me what kind of bike a Nighthawk 250 was and I said I guessed I'd call it a naked standard. She giggled at that. DON'T LAUGH AT MY TECHNICAL TERMS, GIRLS

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Ninja 250s are more crotch Cessnas.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

Safety Dance posted:

"It's like a really big, street legal dirt bike."

Nothing gets panties dropping like explaining that you ride what is basically a dirt bike with street tires. I wish I could just pretend it was a "crotchrocket" or "Harley." :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

AkrisD posted:

Nothing gets panties dropping like explaining that you ride what is basically a dirt bike with street tires. I wish I could just pretend it was a "crotchrocket" or "Harley." :(

What sort of bike is it? Well, it's a dual-purpose adventure bike so you can ride on the road but it also lets you - DON'T WALK AWAY FROM ME YOUNG LADY!

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Its so true. I always went with "big dirtbike" and chicks/guys weren't into it at all. Now it's "Which bike is yours?" that BMW, and then they see the dorky saddle bags and the chicks take off. Oh well, you don't need to show them your bike, the helmet is more than enough in most cases.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
"What kind of bike do you have?"
"A Triumph Daytona 675"
*glassy look*
"It's red."
"OHHHH okay!"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

"A Triumph Daytona 675"
*glassy look*
"It's red."
"OHHHH okay!"

Never try to explain the point of a triple to someone; I've seen people who've been RIDIN TWENNY YEARS tell me they sound funny and don't make sense.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

AkrisD posted:

That's how I have to break the Uly down to folks. "It's bascially a Harley crotch rocket dirt bike, no it isn't missing any pieces"

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Sigh... You guys are all missing the obvious.

Them: What kind of bike do you ride?
Me: A FAST ONE HERP DERP!

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Vincent Black Shadow. I'm with the factory team.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

TheNothingNew posted:

Vincent Black Shadow. I'm with the factory team.

*cough*bullshit*cough*

In court when they read out the charges for the speeding ticket my 690SMC was described as "A white KTM trials bike".

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My GREEN Ulysses was written up as a gray bike, on my last speeding ticket that I yet again didn't manage to earn. I am hoping the judge pays attention to that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

clutchpuck posted:

My GREEN Ulysses was written up as a gray bike, on my last speeding ticket that I yet again didn't manage to earn. I am hoping the judge pays attention to that.

I once had the cop get my license plate state wrong on a ticket. It depends pretty heavily on the judge whether little fuckups are ignored or not.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

BlackMK4 posted:

"A Triumph Daytona 675"
*glassy look*
"It's red."
"OHHHH okay!"

You guys don't even know.

:downs: *sees helmet* What do you ride?
:v: A Genuine Stella.
:downs: *blank*
:v: A scooter, like a Vespa.
:downs: Oh *leaves*

Now when people ask I just skip it and say "scooters" and expect the conversation to end. It's always a treat when someone doesn't just leave the conversation. The most frustrating is when people that don't ride are condescending about my scootering. I am unashamed of my scooter love but even so anything on two wheels is better than nothing.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I think you're the only scooterer I've seen who wasn't a total college hipster squid though. :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

You guys don't even know.

:downs: *sees helmet* What do you ride?
:v: A Genuine Stella.
:downs: *blank*
:v: A scooter, like a Vespa.
:downs: Oh *leaves*

Now when people ask I just skip it and say "scooters" and expect the conversation to end. It's always a treat when someone doesn't just leave the conversation. The most frustrating is when people that don't ride are condescending about my scootering. I am unashamed of my scooter love but even so anything on two wheels is better than nothing.

I was once at work and my bike at the time, a CBR400, was sitting there idling just before I was to go home. A guy who's computer was always plastered with a Harley wallpaper of some sort randomly shouted at me to 'get a real bike!'. I asked him what sort of bike he had and he said he didn't have one. I told him to shut the gently caress up.

Glad I left that job.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

clutchpuck posted:

I got a private parking ticket on my yellow DRZ written up for a "YELLOW WHITE RENTHAL" I did not pay that ticket.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Xovaan posted:

I think you're the only scooterer I've seen who wasn't a total college hipster squid though. :v:

SHOWS WHAT YOU KNOW

Slavvy posted:

I was once at work and my bike at the time, a CBR400, was sitting there idling just before I was to go home. A guy who's computer was always plastered with a Harley wallpaper of some sort randomly shouted at me to 'get a real bike!'. I asked him what sort of bike he had and he said he didn't have one. I told him to shut the gently caress up.

Glad I left that job.

Once I was warming up the bike, getting my gloves on, etc. outside work and a guy walked by and said "TOO BAD IT'S NOT A HARLEY, EH?" with a smile as if we had some mutual understanding that I only had this scooter to temporarily sate my desire for a Harley as all true men only ever want Harleys and in that moment I hated him.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I always explain my bike as 'sportbike with a Harley engine' and that works just fine. I don't think women give a hoot about it though, when I showed it to some friends a while back the dudes started almost hopping with glee when I started it and their girlfriends pretty much rolled their eyes.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The only women attracted to a man based on his car or motorcycle are not the type of women you actually want to be with.

Cars and bikes mostly just attract other men that are into cars and bikes. Whenever someone talks about how much pussy they'll get with X car/bike, I roll my eyes.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 7, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guinness posted:

The only women attracted to a man based on his car or motorcycle are not the type of women you actually want to be with.

Cars and bikes mostly just attract other men that are into cars and bikes. Whenever someone talks about how much pussy they'll get with X car/bike, I roll my eyes.

P.J. O'Rourke disagrees, in his magnum opus "How to Drive Fast on Drugs While Getting Your Wing-Wang Squeezed and Not Spill Your Drink":

quote:

Now, girls who like motorcycles really will do anything. I mean, really, anything you can think of. But it's just not the same. For one thing, it's hard to drink while you're riding a motorcycle – there's no place to set your glass. And cocaine's out of the question. And personally, I find that grass makes me too sensitive. You smoke some grass and the first thing you know you're pulling over to the side of the road and taking a break to dig the gentle beauty of the sky's vast panorama, the slow, luxurious interlay of sun and clouds, the lulling trill of breezes midst leafy tree branches – and what kind of fun is that? Besides, it's tough to "get it on" with a chick (I mean in the biblical sense) and still make all the fast curves unless you let her take the handlebars with her pants off and come on doggy-style or something, which is harder than it sounds; and pantless girls on motorcycles attract the highway patrol, so usually you don't end up doing anything until you're both off the bike, and by then you may be in the hospital. Like I was after this old lady pulled out in front of me in an Oldsmobile, and the girl I was with still wanted to do anything you can think of , but there was a doctor there and he was squirting pHisoHex all over me and combing little bits of gravel out of my face with a wire brush, and I just couldn't get into it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Guinness posted:

In one of the early Roadkill episodes the guys take a new Lambo and a shoddy old rat rod and cruise around SF and take note of how much attention they get. They concluded that guys ogle the Lambo. Girls ogled the rat rod.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Doesn't sound too scientific if they didn't use a shoddy unmarked white van as a control

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Xovaan posted:

Doesn't sound too scientific if they didn't use a shoddy unmarked white van as a control

Those are good for attracting children.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Shouting Melon owns a VTR250.

The sexy carb'd version, even!

(goddamnit, Aprilia, get out of the shot)

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Xovaan posted:

How do you squid on a scooter though? South Africa's scooter market is godawful cheap crap that many people can jog past at full throttle, so it's really difficult to imagine anyone being squiddley on a jonway 125cc going 8mph with a tailwind.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

sildargod posted:

How do you squid on a scooter though? South Africa's scooter market is godawful cheap crap that many people can jog past at full throttle, so it's really difficult to imagine anyone being squiddley on a jonway 125cc going 8mph with a tailwind.

I had a 50CC scooter that would eventually get up to 60mph and it was god drat terrifying at that speed.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
When I rode my Shadow and chopped it all up and made it personal everyone asked if it was a Harley. I would say no its a Honda we chopped. Then they would ask when I was getting a Harley. "Later when I find a good deal and I graduate from this, my learning bike," I would tell them.

Recently I bought a Sportster XL1200C and we have begun chopping it. When I was riding it around stock the people that knew me noticed I had a new bike asked what it was and I explained "Its a Harley Sportster." to which they woudl reply "Oh you got a girl Harley. When are you going to get a real one?"

I want to kill them on a daily basis. Mostly for not understanding bikes at all and for thinking you must spend upwards of 15k on a bike or it isnt a real one. Ugh.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

When I rode my Shadow and chopped it all up and made it personal everyone asked if it was a Harley. I would say no its a Honda we chopped. Then they would ask when I was getting a Harley. "Later when I find a good deal and I graduate from this, my learning bike," I would tell them.

Recently I bought a Sportster XL1200C and we have begun chopping it. When I was riding it around stock the people that knew me noticed I had a new bike asked what it was and I explained "Its a Harley Sportster." to which they woudl reply "Oh you got a girl Harley. When are you going to get a real one?"

I want to kill them on a daily basis. Mostly for not understanding bikes at all and for thinking you must spend upwards of 15k on a bike or it isnt a real one. Ugh.

Tie a rope around their wrists and drag them through town, all the while making fun of them for being dragged by a girl bike.

Edit: They probably don't even own bikes, do they? Just tell them to gently caress off.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's funny to me that even Harley riders encounter this person.

My encounters with them have gone like

"Why don't you get a real bike"
"What do you ride?
"Well my uncle has a Harley"
"Okay"

I just assumed that they lived with some of the annoying HD riders and it rubbed off.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Y'know, this will be my eighth year with a bike now (jesus christ!!) and not once have I ever been asked when I'm getting a Harley* or been accused of riding a girl bike. Closest I've ever got was "big tent and a little bike!" by people in a campground, and I overheard some dude talking smack about my KLR at a charity ride. (It was the only KLR at the ride.)

*Ok, I have been asked when I'm getting a Harley, but to be fair I was down at the Harley dealership at the time, looking at Harleys.

Kaiine
Mar 19, 2009
I ride a suzuki m109r to work everyday, i get so many weird comments. "I thought it was a victory" "You only payed 10k? i thought it was more than 30!"
Ive been asked when im getting a harley a couple of times but most people change there tune when they actually see it. Parking it next to most HD's makes them look
like learners bikes, cute bike mate

I had a sales guy at Peter Stevens trying to get me to trade in for an Iron 883 because they were a comparable price to the M109R, he thought that would
be an upgrade.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I get asked when I'm getting a Harley all the time by randoms, but the Harley guys I hang out with (and most older guys that talk to me about my bike as well) give absolutely no fucks what kind of bike I'm on except that I'm on 2 wheels - they did call my 250 a chook chaser all the time though, they seem to respect the 600 though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kaiine posted:

I ride a suzuki m109r to work everyday, i get so many weird comments. "I thought it was a victory" "You only payed 10k? i thought it was more than 30!"
Ive been asked when im getting a harley a couple of times but most people change there tune when they actually see it. Parking it next to most HD's makes them look
like learners bikes, cute bike mate

I had a sales guy at Peter Stevens trying to get me to trade in for an Iron 883 because they were a comparable price to the M109R, he thought that would
be an upgrade.

I've always thought the way the taillight and instruments lean more toward 'high-tech' and less toward 'retro granpa' on those is quite cool.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Most of my friends ride Harleys, so I get asked all the loving time. One of them has turned his Harley into a dirt bike, he's like +4 inches all around, chain drive, regeared, different suspension, he went from a night rod to that. He's a great rider, so I respect him for that, but his decisions are... questionable.

The other Harley rider always asks, and I dunno they just don't understand why someone wouldn't like them.

The rest of my friends want Harleys, but don't ride at all, so they can gently caress right off :downs:

e:

Said buddy.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 11, 2013

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

SaNChEzZ posted:

Most of my friends ride Harleys, so I get asked all the loving time. One of them has turned his Harley into a dirt bike, he's like +4 inches all around, chain drive, regeared, different suspension, he went from a night rod to that. He's a great rider, so I respect him for that, but his decisions are... questionable.

The other Harley rider always asks, and I dunno they just don't understand why someone wouldn't like them.

The rest of my friends want Harleys, but don't ride at all, so they can gently caress right off :downs:

e:

Said buddy.

Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phy posted:

Y'know, this will be my eighth year with a bike now (jesus christ!!) and not once have I ever been asked when I'm getting a Harley* or been accused of riding a girl bike. Closest I've ever got was "big tent and a little bike!" by people in a campground, and I overheard some dude talking smack about my KLR at a charity ride. (It was the only KLR at the ride.)

*Ok, I have been asked when I'm getting a Harley, but to be fair I was down at the Harley dealership at the time, looking at Harleys.

That's the great thing about riding an old Bandit.

People never talk smack about it, because eh who cares, it's not worth it :geno:

• Locked thread