Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I'm really hoping they drop the new designs after SMTIV. Not like we'll have another mainline SMT for a while after IV, but I really don't want to see them use alien Lucifer for Persona 5, or Devil Survivor 3 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Snix posted:

I'm really hoping they drop the new designs after SMTIV. Not like we'll have another mainline SMT for a while after IV, but I really don't want to see them use alien Lucifer for Persona 5, or Devil Survivor 3 or whatever.

Too late. They're in the mix. It may be twenty years from now, but they'll be back. There are a few I would not be surprised to see in P5 (Napaea and Masakado, especially).

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
For me, and this is just personally, I'm not really big on the new art I've seen for SMT4 because it looks too human, and actually too much like tokusatsu. Tokusatsu stuff works for live-action when you have limited budgets and need to put an actual human actor in a suit, but what I've always liked about Kaneko stuff is how startlingly original and unique a lot of his designs have been. Sure, the series started off with pretty traditional depictions of all the demons etc, but even later on with humanoid designs, he managed to give it a really otherworldly quality.

I'm relatively new to the games but having read up on the whole franchise, I can't quite pin down exactly when his style had that dramatic shift, but it's some of my favorite vidya game art.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Elec posted:

I'm relatively new to the games but having read up on the whole franchise, I can't quite pin down exactly when his style had that dramatic shift, but it's some of my favorite vidya game art.

Roughly around 1999-2001, when he started doing Maken X work and SMT Nine art. His style was used for all the new art in Nocturne and SJ.
It's interesting how much it changed not only from the early 90's work, but how much it changed from the start to his Devil Summoner work, and then to his current art.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I don't really mind the new Lucifer design a whole lot, the old one(s) will always be my favorite, but I think he looks pretty creepy in a Hellraiser-Cenobite-ish way..well maybe more like Powder, I guess :|. I haven't had a chance to see the seraphs yet.

I really like the design of Merkabah, the Chaos route final boss.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DGG6VW5D5v0

e: Sorry, I have embedding disabled so I forgot.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 7, 2013

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Maybe don't embed videos with spoilers in the thumbnail.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

I'm pretty ambivalent towards the new demon designs. I guess they're kinda cool, but a bit overcomplicated and, I dunno, silly-looking?? :)

Also, you might want to mark that video with a spoiler warning or something; the game's only out in Japan so far.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I haven't really played any traditional SMT games other than Strange Journey and some of Nocturne, so the change in designs doesn't really bother me. Specific demons seem pretty inconsequential anyway. Are these demons actual characters, or do you see them a single time before you kill them? I could understand if you had to put up with them for an extended period, but otherwise, it doesn't seem like a big deal.

Definitely like the human art more than the traditional art style though, I really don't like the old stuff.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is your alignment in SMT 4 visible like SJ, or is it a behind the scenes calculation like the other titles?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Well I finally got through the last dungeon in Soul Hackers. Probably my favorite dungeon. It is odd that there is no healing space right before the boss though. So I'm fighting what I assume is the final boss Kadokua on top of Manitou, and how in the hell do I defend against the boss's ultimate laser attack ? It just kills any three people demons in the front row.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I just started playing Strange Journey a couple days ago, and I'm something like 6-8 hours into it. I like it so far, but there's so much going on that I can't help but feel like I'm missing things constantly. Is there any real benefit to fusing a bunch of different kinds of demons, or am I a lot better off sticking with a few solid ones until they get outclassed and then upgrade from there?

The game as a whole is definitely much better than Persona, though. I really like all the options you can have, and this style of dungeon crawler has been something I've enjoyed since Legacy of the Ancients on my dad's old Commodore 64 when I was a lot younger.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is your alignment in SMT 4 visible like SJ, or is it a behind the scenes calculation like the other titles?

Behind the scenes calculation. In SJ and all the other mainline titles (except Nocturne) alignment actually meant something in gameplay terms--in 4 there's no sort of alignment mechanic whatsoever unless it kicks in very late in the game and I just haven't seen it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well I finally got through the last dungeon in Soul Hackers. Probably my favorite dungeon. It is odd that there is no healing space right before the boss though. So I'm fighting what I assume is the final boss Kadokua on top of Manitou, and how in the hell do I defend against the boss's ultimate laser attack ? It just kills any three people demons in the front row.

Buffs and debuffs. Get some demons with Rakukaja and Tarunda, and use 'em to make the boss's damage output more survivable.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Genpei Turtle posted:

Behind the scenes calculation. In SJ and all the other mainline titles (except Nocturne) alignment actually meant something in gameplay terms--in 4 there's no sort of alignment mechanic whatsoever unless it kicks in very late in the game and I just haven't seen it.

Wait, but there are still Law / Chaos / Neutral paths through the game, right? I was under the impression that all mainline SMT games had that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

DeathBySpoon posted:

Wait, but there are still Law / Chaos / Neutral paths through the game, right?

Almost definitely, given how further up this very page there's an embedded video for the Chaos path final boss.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

Wait, but there are still Law / Chaos / Neutral paths through the game, right? I was under the impression that all mainline SMT games had that.

Yeah, there definitely are, but alignment itself doesn't have any meaningful impact on gameplay. As far as I can tell, each demon will have "Law" "Neutral" or "Chaos" written on the page in the Compendium where it gives their mythological background but that's the only way alignment even has a presence in the game mechanics. I'm on the Neutral path (I think, maybe the Chaos path as there's one part where they force you to pick Law or Chaos with no third option unless I missed it) so maybe if you go Law or Chaos demons from the opposite alignment will suddenly stop joining you or something, but I kind of doubt it.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Final boss strategy spoilers:
Tetrakarn will effectively shut the final boss down for almost the entire fight assuming you killed Apsu during the third vision quest. You will need a demon that's faster than it for this strategy to work though, but it allowed me to finish the fight without taking any damage until the round I killed it. If you killed Tiamat, I imagine using Makakarn may be as effective, but I'm not sure.

Kagon fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 6, 2013

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gamma Nerd posted:

I really like the design of Merkabah, the Chaos route final boss.

[GIANT loving EMBEDDED SPOILER]

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Maybe don't embed videos with spoilers in the thumbnail.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Somewhat unrelated, but Atlas posted this.

I'm guessing they're publishing the fourth installment of a horror series, seeing how they used "4" instead of "for".

Or because the tweet is 139 characters...

If that's the case, then perhaps a sequel to Catherine? Or maybe P5 will be horror based? Probably not for either, especially it's debuting on GameTrailers, and because Atlus USA is the one tweeting, which leads me to believe it's just a game they're publishing.

Snix fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 6, 2013

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Sorry dude, I have embedding disabled, I didn't know what it would look like.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My thoughts are:

4 means PS4 exclusive game

4 means more Persona 4 related stuff

Some internet people are going 1am + 4 = PERSONA 5

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Shadow Hearts 4?

...I can dream :negative:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's probably just some run of the mill horror game made by an American company they're just publishing.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

BrightWing posted:

Shadow Hearts 4?

...I can dream :negative:

This would be amazing. Although From the New World wasn't so much of a horror games as the others aside from the enemy designs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Policenaut posted:

It's probably just some run of the mill horror game made by an American company they're just publishing.

Most likely, yeah.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I heard a rumor that Germany rated a game by Atlus USA that's a third person shooter for R.I.P.D movie. Which I guess could be considered scary.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Policenaut posted:

It's probably just some run of the mill horror game made by an AmericanEuropean company they're just publishing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh look, it's RIPD.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Actually, it turned out to be a game called Daylight. Still not SMT and western dev, sooo...

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Note for Japanese SMT4 DLC completionists: This week's issue of Famitsu has a code for a Platinum Vest. You get the code even if you buy the digital edition of the magazine.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Atlus USA announced the pricing for the first batch of SMT4 DLC. The three hair pieces are free forever, the Platinum Surcoat will be free for a month and then $1 after that, and the level grinding mission will be $2.

In Japan the third batch is out, and includes this armor:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TurnipFritter posted:

Atlus USA announced the pricing for the first batch of SMT4 DLC. The three hair pieces are free forever, the Platinum Surcoat will be free for a month and then $1 after that, and the level grinding mission will be $2.

That looks metal as gently caress. :black101:

I have zero experience with DLC (never bothered with the FE:A stuff) so I'm kinda excited for this release. Why can't it be early august already?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I don't think I've ever bought DLC before, but for a grand total of $2 extra why the hell not.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The DLC uses an eshop interface from within the game to buy things. AFIK you have to update to get to it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That armor is rad as all hell and I feel like I'd be doing myself a disservice by NOT buying it.

Dehry posted:

The DLC uses an eshop interface from within the game to buy things. AFIK you have to update to get to it.

So wait, it's not going to be done Fire Emblem style?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Oh so that's what that is? I didn't pay close attention to it--it looked like the ability to unlock a demon I already had in the shop.

DeathBySpoon posted:

I don't think I've ever bought DLC before, but for a grand total of $2 extra why the hell not.

It's a little obnoxious, but the EXP-item DLC is practically required if you want to complete your compendium and learn all the demons' skills without grinding until your eyes bleed. There are just too many of them.

More obnoxious is the more recent money-grinding DLC, which is required to get any of the uber-equipment in an optional shop in one area. I've played about 60 hours so far, doing all of the money-making sidequests, and according to my play stats, if you took all the money I've ever collected in the entire game, it still wouldn't be enough to buy a single piece of equipment in that shop. (of which there are about 30 pieces)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

That armor is rad as all hell and I feel like I'd be doing myself a disservice by NOT buying it.

So wait, it's not going to be done Fire Emblem style?

That is the fire emblem style. Everything from the DLC menu is from the eShop, right down to the noises it makes.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Now that I'm finally getting to sit down and play nocturne, I have some questions.

How should I be distributing stats? So far I've just been pouring them into Str, and the natural HP/MP increase has sufficed, but who knows how long I can get away with that.
With magatamas, I should be switching them a good amount I guess? If you miss a levelup that gives a skill on a magatama did you lose it forever? How at risk am I of just not getting the magatama 'soon enough'?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

As far as stats go, you can get away with doing whatever really. If you want to do the true demon end you need to pump strength, but with any other path you can just dump your points into whatever you feel like and get away with it.

Basically the magatama is set to give skills at certain level thresholds but it doesn't mean if you aren't using X magatama at level 23 or whatever when it gives a skill that the skill becomes lost, it just means next time you level up with that magatama it'll try to give you the skill.

However if you delete or pass up a skill that it tries to give you, you can't ever get it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

RME posted:

Now that I'm finally getting to sit down and play nocturne, I have some questions.

How should I be distributing stats? So far I've just been pouring them into Str, and the natural HP/MP increase has sufficed, but who knows how long I can get away with that.
With magatamas, I should be switching them a good amount I guess? If you miss a levelup that gives a skill on a magatama did you lose it forever? How at risk am I of just not getting the magatama 'soon enough'?

For the True Demon ending you want all of your stats to be in the high 30s at the very least. At some point later today I'll load up my old save and tell you what I used for it.