Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ImpAtom posted:

So are you just ignoring all the new IPs that Nintendo either publishes or helps to push at this point?

Generally it seems like whenever Nintendo puts out a new IP it tends to not count because it's a puzzle game/sports game/weird rhythm game/basically any genre that isn't 'real.' It's kind of weird. I can think of a bunch of new IPs they've created in the past 5 years just off the top of my head but that's probably not enough!

I don't think many people consider a game that Nintendo publishes a "Nintendo game," that's usually branded on games that Nintendo developed themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

I don't think many people consider a game that Nintendo publishes a "Nintendo game," that's usually branded on games that Nintendo developed themselves.

Pokemon is made by Game Freak who isn't a first-party Nintendo developer but people sure have no problem considering it a Nintendo game. v:shobon:v They only make games for Nintendo systems these days but still. If you're only going to accept in-house Nintendo stuff then you're discounting a bunch of stuff which people would consider Nintendo franchises. (And show up in Smash Brothers or other Nintendo-themed crossovers.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Saying Pokemon isn't a Nintendo game is just semantics, really.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Saying Pokemon isn't a Nintendo game is just semantics, really.

Nobody is saying it isn't, which is the point. It's in the same position as a lot of other products Nintendo publishes. Nobody would say Resistance, Infamous or Rachet and Clank aren't Sony games but they're all done second-party by Sony and people have certainly praised Infamous as a new IP that Sony put out, including Sony themselves.

Chibi-Robo's another one people like to point out and that's another one not made in-house by Nintendo. Neither are any of the Mario & Luigi games for that matter. Neither was Yoshi's Island DS or obviously the Capcom-made Oracle Zelda games. If you're now saying that Nintendo franchise games don't count as Nintendo games then I donno what to say. Especially because even then you've got Intelligent Systems making Pushmo and Crashmo or Monolith making Xenoblade.

You can make arguments for some (I don't know 100% what The Last Story's IP status is despite Nintendo publishing it and funding it, for example), but even then it's getting really really hard into semantics. If the argument boils down to "Nintendo isn't putting out new IPs, they're just funding and publishing other people's new IPs exclusively on Nintendo systems," that's... kinda not really a meaningful difference.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 6, 2013

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope
I would blanket statement generalize it even further. If it is exclusive to a nintendo system, it's a nintendo game.

:colbert:

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
I'm hoping Smash Bros. is shown next week if only so we have more data points for what constitutes a "Nintendo franchise" and what doesn't.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody is saying it isn't, which is the point. It's in the same position as a lot of other products Nintendo publishes. Nobody would say Resistance, Infamous or Rachet and Clank aren't Sony games but they're all done second-party by Sony and people have certainly praised Infamous as a new IP that Sony put out, including Sony themselves.

Chibi-Robo's another one people like to point out and that's another one not made in-house by Nintendo. Neither are any of the Mario & Luigi games for that matter. Neither was Yoshi's Island DS or obviously the Capcom-made Oracle Zelda games. If you're now saying that Nintendo franchise games don't count as Nintendo games then I donno what to say. Especially because even then you've got Intelligent Systems making Pushmo and Crashmo or Monolith making Xenoblade.

You can make arguments for some (I don't know 100% what The Last Story's IP status is despite Nintendo publishing it and funding it, for example), but even then it's getting really really hard into semantics. If the argument boils down to "Nintendo isn't putting out new IPs, they're just funding and publishing other people's new IPs exclusively on Nintendo systems," that's... kinda not really a meaningful difference.

I wasn't arguing with you, duderino.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wasn't arguing with you, duderino.

Oh. Well. Sorry. :smith:

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

Mennonites Revenge posted:

I'm hoping Smash Bros. is shown next week if only so we have more data points for what constitutes a "Nintendo franchise" and what doesn't.

Bonus question: If Mariokart U is shown with non-mario characters, is it considered a mario game?

:stonk:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

juicecube posted:

Bonus question: If Mariokart U is shown with non-mario characters, is it considered a mario game?

Well a "true" Mario game is a 2D or 3D Platforming game everything else is a spinoff spinoffs can have whatever characters they want. Not that I don't love Kart and spots but if people play a Mario-thon they normally don't include them.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

juicecube posted:

There was a Mario Kart arcade game with Pac-Man in it. Just throwing that out there.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Mercury Crusader posted:

There was a Mario Kart arcade game with Pac-Man in it. Just throwing that out there.

There's 6 of them in an arcade in Disney Land. I spent so much money on those. It was great fun.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The big rumour going around at the moment is that Sumo Digital (the Sonic All-Stars dev) is making a Mario/Sonic crossover racing game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The big rumour going around at the moment is that Sumo Digital (the Sonic All-Stars dev) is making a Mario/Sonic crossover racing game.

If that's true I suppose that's better than the loving Olympics. Still want the Sonic/Mario platformer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
e: oops

double edit: say, wasn't Deus Ex 3: Directors' Cut supposed to be out right about now?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Macaluso posted:

If that's true I suppose that's better than the loving Olympics. Still want the Sonic/Mario platformer.

All-Stars is as good as any Mario Kart game (better?) and this could honestly rule

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

goferchan posted:

All-Stars is as good as any Mario Kart game (better?) and this could honestly rule

I really hope they don't force you into planes and hovercrafts.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

They could never do a true Mario Sonic crossover for the same reason Freddy va Jason didn't work.

Sega and Nintendo could never agree on whcih character "wins"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

juicecube posted:

They could never do a true Mario Sonic crossover for the same reason Freddy va Jason didn't work.

They already got Sonic vs Mario in Smash Bros. Time for a team up!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

juicecube posted:

***Jason*** totally explicitly wins in Freddy vs. Jason though? Even if the other character does live and they leave it open for a sequel.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Spacebump posted:

I'm still hoping for your ultimate karts to be character specific. Those would be fun to unlock. Like Bowser's egg thing from Mario World or Mario unlocking a Yoshi while Yoshi unlocks a Mario to run on.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yoshi can ride on Poochy! Just don't pick a track with corners, I guess.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Yoshi can ride on Poochy! Just don't pick a track with corners, I guess.

Poochy will learn to take the corners. He is not stupid.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'm still hoping for your ultimate karts to be character specific. Those would be fun to unlock. Like Bowser's egg thing from Mario World or Mario unlocking a Yoshi while Yoshi unlocks a Mario to run on.

That's a good idea. I really like the different Karts in Double Dash.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...

e: oops

double edit: say, wasn't Deus Ex 3: Directors' Cut supposed to be out right about now?

Shopto have it for only £24.99 for preorder, but the release date is still TBA. I've preordered it, but get the feeling it is not coming out. And what is with the Wii U ports that do get released, but you never see them in physical shops (e.g. Need For Speed, Sniper Elite)?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Also if you have a PS3 it's free on Playstation Plus at the moment

Edit: Well not the Director's Cut.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I heard a rumor that Sonic was going to be in Mario Kart 7, but the agreement fell apart because Nintendo wanted him in a kart and Sega wanted him to be running along side everyone else. Is this true at all, because I always found that wierd little squabble really funny.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Meme Emulator posted:

I heard a rumor that Sonic was going to be in Mario Kart 7, but the agreement fell apart because Nintendo wanted him in a kart and Sega wanted him to be running along side everyone else. Is this true at all, because I always found that wierd little squabble really funny.

I've heard that too, but I think it was in regards to Double Dash for Gamecube.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

drat. That would have made the best Mario Kart even better.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
In the Iwata Asks for one of the Olympics games they mentioned how the swimming events were a total pain in the arse because Sega's "brand supervisor" kept insisting that Sonic was canonically unable to swim, so they had to try and come up with all sorts of ridiculous contrivances that would explain why he was able to participate. I think they gave him an inflatable life vest or something?

EDIT: found it

quote:

Iwata I'm sure it's pleasing for both sets of fans to be treated equally. With the Olympic Games as the setting and the composition and forms of each set of characters differing, you must have had a fair amount of trouble.

Kasahara Yes, we most certainly did.

Iwata Did you discuss things like what Princess Peach should wear to go swimming?

Kasahara Yeah, definitely. (laughs)

Ohashi You guessed it. (laughs) Like, "Mario doesn't wear swimming trunks?"

Iwata You might think, "He can't swim in overalls!" (laughs)

Ohashi But in Super Mario games, he does swim in overalls, so while we thought, "Maybe that would be all right," we also thought that since it was a sports event, if he didn't wear swimming trunks…

Iwata He would be breaking Olympic regulations.

Ohashi Yeah. (laughs) But the animal characters couldn't wear swimming trunks! Bowser in swimming trunks? And everyone on the Sonic side is animal-based, so…

Iwata Swimming trunks would be weird on Yoshi, too.

Ohashi Right. When we made the first game, the most difficult Sega character was Sonic. He isn't supposed to be able to swim.

Iwata Huh? But then…he couldn't compete in a swimming event!

Ohashi And aquatics is one of the star attractions at the Olympic Games, so we were stuck. (laughs) I went back and forth with the supervisor in charge of Sonic. I'd say, "It's the Olympic Games, so I want him to swim," and the reply would be, "No, Sonic can't swim, so it's out of the question," but I'd be like, "But the Olympic Games without swimming is unthinkable!"

Iwata You're just butting heads.

Ohashi Yeah. So I tried saying, "I want him to swim, even if it's with a kickboard!"

Iwata Oh, a kickboard? (laughs) The kind you hold onto in swimming lessons and kick your feet? But…for Sonic?

Ohashi Yeah. (laughs) That wouldn't look very cool, so it ended up that he could swim if he wore a life jacket.

Iwata I see. (laughs)

Ohashi That's why when Sonic swims, he doesn't put his face in the water and his upper body is positioned like it's floating.

Iwata (laughs) The life jacket buoys him up.

Ohashi Yeah. He can't swim, so we paid attention to that when making the game.

Kasahara We also came up with designs for Peach and Daisy when they swim in the first game and presented them to Nintendo, but unfortunately they got rejected.

Watanabe We decided that normal sportswear would do, but after the game went on sale, people said, "It's weird that they don't wear swimwear to swim!"

Kasahara So when development of Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games began, we said, "This time let's put them in swimwear!" But then at Sega they told me, "Sonic can't take off his shoes!"

Ohashi These characters just aren't naturally suited to sports.

Iwata Ohashi-san, what a thing to say! (laughs)

Everyone (laughs)

Ohashi It would be weird to wear shoes with swimwear.

Iwata The characters weren't originally conceived to appear in the Olympic Games. And swimming trunks on a hedgehog is a bit…

Kasahara Yeah. (laughs) Then we decided that only the girl characters would wear swimwear. But we were like, "We can't have them wear retro swimwear like from the 1930s era, so how should we design them?" Then Nintendo…

Watanabe That's right. The supervision team at Nintendo got into it and designed swimwear. But when we compared it to the designs Sega had proposed four years earlier, they were almost the same! (laughs)

Everyone (laughs)

Kasahara The kinds of swimwear designs that will suit them are fairly limited.

Iwata So this time they are wearing the swimsuits that they should have in the first game.

Kasahara Yes. (laughs) Two characters on each side, Peach and Daisy on Mario's side and Amy and Blaze on Sonic's side.

Iwata So it's fifty-fifty for swimwear as well.

Kasahara That's right! (laughs)

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 6, 2013

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In the Iwata Asks for one of the Olympics games they mentioned how the swimming events were a total pain in the arse because Sega's "brand supervisor" kept insisting that Sonic was canonically unable to swim, so they had to try and come up with all sorts of ridiculous contrivances that would explain why he was able to participate. I think they gave him an inflatable life vest or something?

He wears arm floaty things like a toddler, which is really funny and cute and I'm glad they had those arguments.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

elf help book posted:

He wears arm floaty things like a toddler, which is really funny and cute and I'm glad they had those arguments.

Yeah, as someone who watched the terrible Sonic X anime, I found it hilarious and adorable, and seriously the best thing.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

quote:

Iwata: Did you discuss things like what Princess Peach should wear to go swimming?

This is the first question he asks :stare:

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 6, 2013

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

elf help book posted:

Yeah I was about to say. I'm glad those kinds of things are brought up and they have those kinds of arguments because then you have nice little details like that because really Sonic participating in a swimming event but forced to use floatation devices because he can't swim is great. It's sort of like when the censors interfere in a show like Adventure Time and the censoring ends up making the joke better.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Official Nintendo Magazine Twitter has confirmed there will be a Smash Bros trailer in the E3 Nintendo Direct for both Wii U and 3DS. So there we go.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yes yessssss

Hopefully they'll do a last minute of the trailer reveal of a new character no one is seeing coming like they did with Snake (I'll keep clinging to the small shred of hope for Wreck-it Ralph)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Balcony posted:

Shopto have it for only £24.99 for preorder, but the release date is still TBA. I've preordered it, but get the feeling it is not coming out. And what is with the Wii U ports that do get released, but you never see them in physical shops (e.g. Need For Speed, Sniper Elite)?

They had playable demos of it at PAX East, so I'm still optimistic.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm hoping for Mega Man no bloody X, no bloody.exe, no bloody Volnutt, no bloody Z, no bloody bad boxart. Just Mega Man.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Spacebump posted:

I just hope the thing runs faster than 25fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

The Official Nintendo Magazine Twitter has confirmed there will be a Smash Bros trailer in the E3 Nintendo Direct for both Wii U and 3DS. So there we go.

If there is crossplay between the two versions or Bonuses for owning both, I'd be so damned pleased. Just the thought of a 3ds Version already has my undivided attention.

Come on Nintendo. Show me what you've got! :munch:

• Locked thread