Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

So you guys are suggesting that his job security is immune due to this reputation unlike the great many other people out there both inside and outside of the industry who got canned (sometimes unofficially) for posting something unprofessional on the public internet? Anything is possible and I am not as familiar with him as you all are, but it just strikes me as unlikely in this age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

greatn posted:

He's supposed to be an off the wall creative type. It's part of his brand.

:mad: "gently caress off you stupid pieces of poo poo!!!!"
:) "Oh you wacky son of a gun!"

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Xavier434 posted:

So you guys are suggesting that his job security is immune due to this reputation unlike the great many other people out there both inside and outside of the industry who got canned (sometimes unofficially) for posting something unprofessional on the public internet? Anything is possible and I am not as familiar with him as you all are, but it just strikes me as unlikely in this age.

He does this every day and also often posts false info which gaming news sites beleive.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Yeah. Just a tad unprofessional.

A lot of people don't "get" Kamiya. He rules. :allears:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Xavier434 posted:

Yes dude, its probably outright encouraged by his employers and I wouldnt be surprised if everything he posted was vetted first. Its about building a persona.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xavier434 posted:

His job security is more likely immune due to LACK of reputation sadly. :(

Can Samurai Sanders or some other Japanese-fluent goon chime in? Is "poo poo" just not a particularly bad word in Japan? I remember Shinji Mikami going through a bunch of similar tirades in various interviews a few months before he left Capcom.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Sometimes being professional involves more than doing what you're obligated to do.

He's a designer, he has no "professional responsibility" because there's no higher authority or agreed-upon moral code among peers to be responsible to. There's just realities about how being kind of a dick makes your fans and employers act, and he pretty obviously understands that.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I usually side with consumers in PR stuff, but Smash fans are more often than not just the worst.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Macaluso posted:

Am I missing something? Who is that guy? Looking him up on wikipedia, he's not associated with Smash Bros at all.

edit: Oh he did Bayonetta and all those other games. Who cares what he says about Smash Bros then

Bayonetta, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry. Basically he's awesome. Can't wait for The Wonderful 101!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

I usually side with consumers in PR stuff, but Smash fans are more often than not just the worst.
Yeah there is no such thing as bad PR when it comes to making fun of Smash superfans. They're like the most easily trollable group of people in the world.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Neo Rasa posted:

Is "poo poo" just not a particularly bad word in Japan?

Sure it is. The language he uses in Japanese is as raw and dismissive as he is in English.

I find his candor refreshing and wish more people would be willing to shut down morons rather than being diplomatic and enabling them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I find his candor refreshing and wish more people would be willing to shut down morons rather than being diplomatic and enabling them.

Oh I agree actually, was just curious because the gaming press here seems to have a fit whenever he tweets profanity that I don't understand. I honestly wish he'd rant more openly about all the things he likes/dislikes in the industry since I 100% love everything he's remotely been involved in.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I'm probably in the minority here and think its a pretty uncalled for response. It's not like people were harrassing him with hatemail they were just being annoying but excited children.

Either way I'm still buying both smash and Bayonetta so him being a rude dude doesn't really affect me at all. v:shobon:v

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I agree he was being rude and that wasn't professional. At the same time, video game fans are loving little babies who need to be told off once in a while.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I'm probably in the minority here and think its a pretty uncalled for response. It's not like people were harrassing him with hatemail they were just being annoying but excited children.
To be honest you really don't know that. Dude probably gets plenty of horrible anonymous garbage thrown at him every day. I mean there's just no way it's not. These are "hardcore video gamer" kids we're talking about here. There isn't a word in their vocabulary that isn't vulgar.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I mean, I guess gamers need to be told to gently caress off. Though it seems pretty silly to tell someone "gently caress off" because they're asking a question thats asked a lot. I'm sure having a question repeatably asked isn't a unique problem to people who have fans.

I could be way off base here but it just seems a much harsher response than warranted.

And he probably DOES get horrible hatemail. I'm saying his harsh response was to a pretty harmless (but repetitive) question.

E: It really doesn't matter though so I don't want to give the impression I'm drawing a moral line in the sand. The dude can do whatever he wants and I'll still probably buy Bayonetta.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 6, 2013

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
He's tweeted that he's sick of answering the same damned question over and over.
I can just imagine what it must be like when game fans get hold of a "brilliant idea" and won't take a simple "no" for an answer.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

In his defense, video game fans are the worst fans. It's part of the reason working in the industry sucks so bad.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I could be way off base here but it just seems a much harsher response than warranted.

You're not off base at all.

But say this was Joss Whedon (who has a rabid fanbase himself) on Twitter and Marvel fans (who have been rabid prior to the dawn of the Internet Age) were blasting him with tweets every second on putting whatever random Marvel character they can think of into Avengers 2. And not taking a lack of answer as a, "Okay, once is fine, gently caress off". I wouldn't have an issue with Whedon telling them to gently caress off. Because they deserve to be told to gently caress off. Just because you're tweeting on Twitter doesn't mean you can't show a little tact.

Just because you follow someone on Twitter, that doesn't make them your friend. The only alternative would be for these people to leave Twitter due to the annoying fucks but why ruin the fun for the people who are respectable and like to read thoughts from creators?

It would be nice if gaming was a respectable enough medium that we didn't have to tell people to shut the gently caress up, but alas.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I guess if I was in his shoes I would have just ignored people's tweets.

I'm always amazed when someone of reknown responds to me on twitter because it happens so infrequently.

E: Anything come from the Konami PrE3?

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 6, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I guess if I was in his shoes I would have just ignored people's tweets.

I'm always amazed when someone of reknown responds to me on twitter because it happens so infrequently.

E: Anything come from the Konami PrE3?

Keifer Sutherland is voicing Big Boss in MGS5 (yes really) and Lords of Shadow 2 isn't coming to Wii U.

grmartin
Mar 9, 2013

You become confused and frightened.
Question for current owners: would now be a good time to buy a Wii U, or should I wait until E3 for price drops/updates? Should I go for the Deluxe or the Basic set?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

grmartin posted:

Question for current owners: would now be a good time to buy a Wii U, or should I wait until E3 for price drops/updates? Should I go for the Deluxe or the Basic set?

Deluxe, but there's no real reason to go out and buy one right this second unless you just really want to play NSMBU or MH3U.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

Yes dude, its probably outright encouraged by his employers and I wouldnt be surprised if everything he posted was vetted first. Its about building a persona.
Have you seen how much he tweets? It'd be a full time job for someone to vet him.

As for how they feel about the media:

PG_inaba posted:

I was also talking with @PG_JP and he mentioned something I want to share. Media (not just western, in Japan as well) who copy/paste tweets and say they are news aren’t doing any sort of journalism. They are just doing the same thing that the retweet button already does. Then they take those tweets and twist/spin them to sensationalize, or cover the fact that they haven’t done any actual reporting.
And everyone likes when Kotaku is mocked:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46218873&postcount=1

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Alright, this dude is growing on me.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
"Do you eat poo poo?"

(Best response ever.)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

japtor posted:

Have you seen how much he tweets? It'd be a full time job for someone to vet him.

As for how they feel about the media:

And everyone likes when Kotaku is mocked:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46218873&postcount=1

I like that guy. And Kotaku writers always get so loving defensive when they're called out on their bullshit.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Didn't Kamiya say that he was interested in making a Starfox game? Platinum is pretty much the most ideal company in the world for making that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Strange Matter posted:

Didn't Kamiya say that he was interested in making a Starfox game? Platinum is pretty much the most ideal company in the world for making that.

Kamiya wants to make a new Starfox really badly, like to the point where he said he wished Nintendo would come over to Platinum Games and make him do it at gun point.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Policenaut posted:

Kamiya wants to make a new Starfox really badly, like to the point where he said he wished Nintendo would come over to Platinum Games and make him do it at gun point.
Basically my dream Star Fox game is one where the Arwing can transform into a mech so the game can also be Vanquish 2.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The next Star Fox game will be made by Kojima, and be all on foot, and called FOX - Stealth Tactical Action Reconnaissance.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Strange Matter posted:

Basically my dream Star Fox game is one where the Arwing can transform into a mech so the game can also be Vanquish 2.
Seconded. Also, Krystal goes back to Dinosaur Planet at the start of the game and is never heard from again.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Strange Matter posted:

This is basically the exact same thing I think of when I picture a Kamiya-made Star Fox, only the mech is more like Bayonetta weapon based combat rather than Vanquish over the shoulder shooting for some reason. But now that I think about it yeah Vanquish is probably a better way to go.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Chaltab posted:

Seconded. Also, Krystal goes back to Dinosaur Planet at the start of the game and is never heard from again.

(Krystal died on the way to dinosaur planet)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Look at all these dummies getting upset at Kamiya tweets. :allears:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Strange Matter posted:

Great Fox can then transform into the dog sidekick that was originally planned for Vanquish.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Huh, interesting. I'm guessing that dog was somewhat of a Casshern/Mega Man nod that eventually became Blade Wolf?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Nickoten posted:

Huh, interesting. I'm guessing that dog was somewhat of a Casshern/Mega Man nod that eventually became Blade Wolf?

You have no idea how much I love Blade Wolf on my god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG2oddX15N8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k-o7xOBW1k

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 6, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

japtor posted:

Great Fox can then transform into the dog sidekick that was originally planned for Vanquish.

Now that's a next-gen dog if I ever saw one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nickoten posted:

Not sure, but oh man what could've been:

And a female android partner :psyduck:
http://www.segashiro.com/2010/08/04/vanquish-art-design-once-featured-male-to-android-female-coupling-and-a-side-kick-dog/

quote:

“At first, the entire suit would transform into different shapes, and there was even an idea that a female android “partner” would transform and combine with Sam (I was a fan of that one). As the player would hoist her up, their bodies would change shape in various ways from forming an enormous gun to having the android change into a boomerang and be thrown into the field…We also had a dog character that survived all the way through the modeling phase. The robotic dog would do various things to support Sam during the game, including combining with Sam’s suit to become a powerful piece of armor.”

• Locked thread