Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Z3n posted:

some kneeguards you can toss under jeans can be a real knee saver in street crashes.

If I owned a pair of them with my accident, I wouldn't have degloved my knee, or (more importantly), bloodied my new jeans. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So today I had babby first low speed (10-15mph) lowside.

OK, I was getting out of work and on my way out of base I have to make a slight right turn that's usually covered in sand. Now this not the first time I have taken this curve, but most of the time I do it with a consistent throttle and I don't lean too aggressively. Well today I had a loving horrible throttle control, went to the curve a little bit faster than I usually do and leaned a bit more aggressively. So the bike gingerly deposits me on the asphalt and we both slide on it for a bit.

Afterwards I hit the kill-switch, stand up the bike on my own power, a motorcycle riding co-worker follows me for a bit in order to make sure everything is alright and I get home safely. I am OK as I was wearing my full leathers, boots, gloves and helmet, On the motorcycle the frame slider and the muffler took the brunt of the damage on her but its otherwise fully functional.

Oh well its an excuse to buy new gloves :v:

Edit: Pictures

This guy deserves a loving gold star for saving everything else. Good job!

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 30, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

So today I had babby first low speed (10-15mph) lowside.

OK, I was getting out of work and on my way out of base I have to make a slight right turn that's usually covered in sand. Now this not the first time I have taken this curve, but most of the time I do it with a consistent throttle and I don't lean too aggressively. Well today I had a loving horrible throttle control, went to the curve a little bit faster than I usually do and leaned a bit more aggressively. So the bike gingerly deposits me on the asphalt and we both slide on it for a bit.

Afterwards I hit the kill-switch, stand up the bike on my own power, a motorcycle riding co-worker follows me for a bit in order to make sure everything is alright and I get home safely. I am OK as I was wearing my full leathers, boots, gloves and helmet, On the motorcycle the frame slider and the muffler took the brunt of the damage on her but its otherwise fully functional.

Oh well its an excuse to buy new gloves :v:

Edit: Pictures

This guy deserves a loving gold star for saving everything else. Good job!

Well, that sucks. Your exhaust saved you a HUGE amount of grief, it's much uglier of you drop it on the left instead. I suspect your mirror stopped the handlebar touching the ground, too. Lucky, as far as crashing a huge naked bike goes.

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011
Ugh, after 3 years it's time for me to join this thread...I hit a patch of gravel just before a junction and the bike was over immediately. I try to look ahead for these sort of hazards on the surface but it's a big dangerous junction so I was focussing on that and completely failed to spot the gravel patch. :doh:

The bike (250 Ninja) is mostly OK - I'm really glad I decided to shell out for crash bungs as the left hand one is completely mangled but it's saved the fairing. I had to call the AA though as the gear shifter was bent into a hilarious U-shape and she was also stuck in gear so wouldn't start. Luckily the AA man who turned up was also a biker and he took the shifter off and basically hammered it flat, then bumped her into neutral so I could ride home. I'm also OK - the damage seems to be just a sprained wrist and bruises - and my leathers look OK as well, I can't even find any scuffs on them but then I only slid a few feet. There are some chips on my lid where it looks like I've bumped my chin on the floor when I landed - is that sufficient reason to replace it? I don't think it took any serious impact but maybe I should be better safe than sorry.

I think the fact that I was slowing for the junction so only doing about 20mph has done me a lot of favours. I'm annoyed with myself though, it's such a stupid accident to have had.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I'd replace it and/or get it checked by the manufacturer to see if it's damaged in the liner.

Glad it worked out as well as it did, sorry to hear you went down though.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Yeah you're probably going to need to replace it. You may wind up hitting it in the exact same place in the future and it might have been weakened by this impact.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Well today I feel like a loving idiot, I've joined the crash club after 2 years of riding. And with the most absolute rookie mistake, which is pretty embarassing.

I was heading to the dealer to get my new tires put on. Girlfriend was following with tires in the trunk. 2 lights from the store, the light turned yellow when I was already pretty close, and for god knows what reason I decided I should stop rather than just cruise through (I had plenty of time). Maybe I didn't want to get separated from my girlfriend's car, who knows. I grabbed a fistful of front brake, managed to lock the front, and went down on the left.

I was only going about 30, and I had slowed down quite a bit, so basically I landed on my left side and rolled. Head never even contacted the pavement. I jumped up and rolled the bike off the street.

Damage to myself: a very lightly scraped left elbow and a heavily scraped up left knee. I'm too much of a goddamn moron to have been wearing riding pants, but after seeing what happened at low speeds, I'm buying the fuckers before I get back on the bike. Luckily all the pain on my knee seems to be at the skin level, I don't think I've hosed up anything inside.

Damage to gear: Jacket is pretty shredded on the left arm; it's old, it was cheap, time to replace anyway. My helmet *looks* fine, and I don't know that I ever contacted the street with it, but I'm wary of riding with it.

Damage to the bike: The peg on the shifter broke off. The cover over the transmission got worn down a bit on its highest point, near where the clutch cable attaches. The clutch lever got the end ground down. The left exhaust has a little ground off the very end. The handlebars were twisted off center, but the guys at the shop pointed out that they're on rubber mounts and just twisted the back into alignment.

So far as I can tell, all the damage was cosmetic. I'll buy new gear, then just replace scratched-up parts on the bike as I feel like it.

Crashing is pretty hosed, but I don't intend to stop riding... I just intend to stop crashing.

Edit: I think gf is a lot more shook up than I was/am, she watched it happen. She hasn't demanded that I stop riding, I just hope this doesn't worry her too much in the long run.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 6, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Well today I feel like a loving idiot, I've joined the crash club after 2 years of riding. And with the most absolute rookie mistake, which is pretty embarassing.

I was heading to the dealer to get my new tires put on. Girlfriend was following with tires in the trunk. 2 lights from the store, the light turned yellow when I was already pretty close, and for god knows what reason I decided I should stop rather than just cruise through (I had plenty of time). Maybe I didn't want to get separated from my girlfriend's car, who knows. I grabbed a fistful of front brake, managed to lock the front, and went down on the left.

I was only going about 30, and I had slowed down quite a bit, so basically I landed on my left side and rolled. Head never even contacted the pavement. I jumped up and rolled the bike off the street.

Damage to myself: a very lightly scraped left elbow and a heavily scraped up left knee. I'm too much of a goddamn moron to have been wearing riding pants, but after seeing what happened at low speeds, I'm buying the fuckers before I get back on the bike. Luckily all the pain on my knee seems to be at the skin level, I don't think I've hosed up anything inside.

Damage to gear: Jacket is pretty shredded on the left arm; it's old, it was cheap, time to replace anyway. My helmet *looks* fine, and I don't know that I ever contacted the street with it, but I'm wary of riding with it.

Damage to the bike: The peg on the shifter broke off. The cover over the transmission got worn down a bit on its highest point, near where the clutch cable attaches. The clutch lever got the end ground down. The left exhaust has a little ground off the very end. The handlebars were twisted off center, but the guys at the shop pointed out that they're on rubber mounts and just twisted the back into alignment.

So far as I can tell, all the damage was cosmetic. I'll buy new gear, then just replace scratched-up parts on the bike as I feel like it.

Crashing is pretty hosed, but I don't intend to stop riding... I just intend to stop crashing.

Edit: I think gf is a lot more shook up than I was/am, she watched it happen. She hasn't demanded that I stop riding, I just hope this doesn't worry her too much in the long run.

That's lovely, glad you're OK though. I was in the same boat after crashing in jeans, it really makes no sense why anyone would wear them at all (at least in my mind). I guess it only takes one time to learn. Not saying you're stupid for riding in jeans, but it's quite the eye opener isn't it?

Which bike was this, the Honda or the Triumph?

Word of advice, don't baby your knee like I did or it will stiffen up like a mofo, and getting it working again is no fun.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

That's lovely, glad you're OK though. I was in the same boat after crashing in jeans, it really makes no sense why anyone would wear them at all (at least in my mind). I guess it only takes one time to learn. Not saying you're stupid for riding in jeans, but it's quite the eye opener isn't it?

Which bike was this, the Honda or the Triumph?

Word of advice, don't baby your knee like I did or it will stiffen up like a mofo, and getting it working again is no fun.

It was the Bonneville. Wish it had been the $800 Honda, but at least the damage seems pretty minimal. Also glad I was 1/4 mile from the dealer's shop, didn't have to try riding it anywhere or get a tow.

Edit: I've cleaned the knee as best I can and will bandage it shortly. It's really not bad, just a painful scrape. I'll grab a picture in a minute if I can take one that doesn't include my junk.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Pham Nuwen posted:

It was the Bonneville. Wish it had been the $800 Honda, but at least the damage seems pretty minimal. Also glad I was 1/4 mile from the dealer's shop, didn't have to try riding it anywhere or get a tow.

Edit: I've cleaned the knee as best I can and will bandage it shortly. It's really not bad, just a painful scrape. I'll grab a picture in a minute if I can take one that doesn't include my junk.

... your junk hangs that low?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

KARMA! posted:

That's why I use those urinals meant for children, so the tip of my wiener doesn't get wet.

Because its so long, you see.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KARMA! posted:

My initial plan was to sit down and hold the camera out, pointing at my knee from the front as e.g. a doctor would observe it. Since I just wear boxers at home, it's a possibility.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

My initial plan was to sit down and hold the camera out, pointing at my knee from the front as e.g. a doctor would observe it. Since I just wear boxers at home, it's a possibility.

You could ya know, stand up and use a mirror perhaps.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
No no no you all misunderstand, he's like CAs wayne gretzky. Every time he tries to take a picture his balls always seem to find their way in to the frame.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

KARMA! posted:

Triumph riders :smugdog:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Oh wait, you meant genitals, I thought you were referring to the output voltages from our British regulators

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Triumph: the bike for guys with huge dongs.

Great marketing campaign.

(I ride a Triumph) :)

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Stugazi posted:

Triumph: the bike for guys with huge dongs.

Great marketing campaign.

(I ride a Triumph) :)

We're in CA don't we all?

Seriously though like all of CA has a 675 and a supermoto of some kind don't they? Let's ignore CAHOG for the time being.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

no, it just seems like the majority if this board has 675's because the same ~2 people have blown up and subsequently reacquired new ones like thirty times over

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nah it's not a majority but there's a lot of 675 owners here in various forms. Way disproportionate to any motorcycle demographic except maybe 675 owner clubs.

I rarely see one in person yet I could probably find at least 10 active posters here with one and 20 who've had one before. Most of what I see are naked streets or speeds, not the Daytonas.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
_Dav and I have late-model 1050 Speeds, although iirc his got jacked and hosed up by chavs

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 7, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Xovaan posted:

no, it just seems like the majority if this board has 675's because the same ~2 people have blown up and subsequently reacquired new ones like thirty times over

...haha... :suicide:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Xovaan posted:

Or crashed them and got another, or had them crashed for you and got another :thumbsup:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

Or crashed them and got another, or had them crashed for you and got another :thumbsup:

Or dropped one while riding in a straight line.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Backov posted:

Or dropped one while riding in a straight line.

Haha, out of nowhere!

I didn't even think of Count Mootington until I saw that, good stuff. :thumbsup:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Or stolen and recovered and got another...

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Daytonas are like celebrity deaths, but they come in twos instead of threes.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ok, I put on some pants (shifting my enormous Triumph-dong out of the way of course :awesome:) and took a picture this morning. This is about 24 hours after the crash.

Things ended up a bit washed out (or my monitor's color settings are off), the abrasions are a bit darker than they look.

Pain's not bad. I had it under gauze most of yesterday and the night, if only to prevent the wounds from oozing onto my sheets, but today I'll try to let things air out and dry a bit.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Do you have a huge calf muscle, or is it swollen really badly?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Day Man posted:

Do you have a huge calf muscle, or is it swollen really badly?

Huge calf muscles. I have had them as long as I can remember, and I have no idea why.

Edit: vvvv they were there before I got fat in college. It might have been from having to slog through so much mud while wearing big rubber boots, growing up on a farm.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 7, 2013

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Pham Nuwen posted:

Huge calf muscles. I have had them as long as I can remember, and I have no idea why.

Fat people have huge calves.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Pham Nuwen posted:

Pain's not bad. I had it under gauze most of yesterday and the night, if only to prevent the wounds from oozing onto my sheets, but today I'll try to let things air out and dry a bit.

I have a huge scar on my knee when I did just this. I saw a doctor a few days later, and he said I should have just kept it moist with Neosporin (or equivalent), the kind with the painkiller in it. No scabs is what you're aiming for.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I have a huge scar on my knee when I did just this. I saw a doctor a few days later, and he said I should have just kept it moist with Neosporin (or equivalent), the kind with the painkiller in it. No scabs is what you're aiming for.

Thanks for the tip, I'll go pick some up right away. So he said just keep it moist and uncovered?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Thanks for the tip, I'll go pick some up right away. So he said just keep it moist and uncovered?

I was told the opposite, but mine was way worse. Dry and scabby so the under stuff can heal. Just don't pick the scab.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I saw 28 new posts in the crash thread and immediately thought the worst, then I enter and it's a bunch of Triumph nerds circlejerking eachother. I'm not sure which is worse...

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

Aargh posted:

I saw 28 new posts in the crash thread and immediately thought the worst, then I enter and it's a bunch of Triumph nerds circlejerking eachother. I'm not sure which is worse...

^^^

Small penis alert. :)

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok, I put on some pants (shifting my enormous Triumph-dong out of the way of course :awesome:) and took a picture this morning. This is about 24 hours after the crash.

Things ended up a bit washed out (or my monitor's color settings are off), the abrasions are a bit darker than they look.

Doesn't look that deep, I wouldn't worry about any scarring imo. My "jeans are a dumb thing to ride in" lesson was a little more gruesome.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Legerdemain posted:

Doesn't look that deep, I wouldn't worry about any scarring imo. My "jeans are a dumb thing to ride in" lesson was a little more gruesome.

Yeah it's been painful, but not so bad that I've even bothered to take aspirin regularly. Mostly it sucks as the forming scabs keep stretching with every movement of my leg. Still remains to be seen if my knee is actually jacked up or not, it's hard to tell with the external abrasions also giving nerve input when I move my leg.

I'm drat happy that my ATGATT lesson was so minor.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5165/5367675023_a167a49c29_z.jpg

:nms: :barf: :nms:

My lesson was learned. I also learned an arm lesson, but that was through my jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Pfft, pansy! I wish I had some photos of my knee (not quite to the same extent as the dude who shattered his knee). But it was hugely swollen, and degloved. That's right. I degloved a knee :smuggo:

Stupidly totally my fault and easily avoidable.. :saddowns:

e: Hope you did learn your lesson bud.. good luck in the future!

• Locked thread