Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

vapid cutlery posted:

You can validate your app from the Xcode Organizer as well. Go to the Archives section and click the Validate button with the archive you're going to upload selected.

Thanks.

Unrelated: last night I figured out a good solution to a problem I was having in a dream. The human brain is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
I'm constructing a new request predicate with multiple variables, but am completely confused.

"searchTerms" is an NSString.

This works:
code:
  int testNum = 1;
  searchPredicate = [NSPredicate predicateWithFormat:@"(title contains[cd] %@) 
AND (platform_id == %d)", searchTerms, testNum];
This does not and the stack trace says "Unable to parse the format string (title contains[cd] %@ AND (%@)":
code:
  NSString *testString = @"platform_id == 1";
  searchPredicate = [NSPredicate predicateWithFormat:
@"(title contains[cd] %@) AND (%@)", searchTerms, testString];
What am I misunderstanding about predicateWithFormat?

EDIT: I think I found my problem. From the Apple docs:
The parser does not perform any semantic type checking. It makes a best-guess effort to create suitable expressions, but—particularly in the case of substitution variables—it is possible that a runtime error will be generated.

Edit: table breakage

plasticbugs fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 3, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I think what happens is +predicateWithFormat: quotes/escapes the part you substitute in. The right way is probably creating an NSCompoundPredicate, passing in the two parts which you create using +predicateWithFormat:. What might also work is using %K instead of %@ in the format string; I'm not near a compiler right now so I can't actually check.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

lord funk posted:

In semi-related news, I just came across an app that clearly uses the private UITouch property _pathMajorRadius to get the finger blob size. I've been desperate to use that in TC-11 to get touch sizes for a velocity-like controller, but left it out because I figured the app would be rejected. I've written to the developer asking if he requested special treatment from Apple, or whether he just slipped it in there. No response so far.

But it has to get in TC-11. It's just too juicy of a touch controller to leave out.

Some people on the internet recommend doing something like doing a rot13 on the string and un-doing that at runtime, or otherwise not having the selector's name compiled into your binary.

Despite what other people are saying, I have actually been rejected at the human review stage for something they thought was private. We had an @selector we were getting that had the same name as something private in code for several releases, and then some reviewer with a stick sufficiently far up his rear end decided to drop the hammer. It was also something pretty benign-sounding, which made it even more irritating.

Edit: Looked up the fix commit. The selector was "scale:". That was a great Friday...

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 2, 2013

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

lord funk posted:

Thanks.

Unrelated: last night I figured out a good solution to a problem I was having in a dream. The human brain is weird.

That's actually great advice when you are stuck on a problem. The brain seems to reorganize and sort information during sleep.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

ultramiraculous posted:

Some people on the internet recommend doing something like doing a rot13 on the string and un-doing that at runtime, or otherwise not having the selector's name compiled into your binary.

Despite what other people are saying, I have actually been rejected at the human review stage for something they thought was private. We had an @selector we were getting that had the same name as something private in code for several releases, and then some reviewer with a stick sufficiently far up his rear end decided to drop the hammer. It was also something pretty benign-sounding, which made it even more irritating.

Edit: Looked up the fix commit. The selector was "scale:". That was a great Friday...

It's amazing how inconsistent the review process seems to be. And how these things always happen on Friday. We had a rejection on yesterday because Spotify was using uniqueIdentifier inside libspotify. Thankfully it happened during the validation stage. Doing a trivial encryption on the selector name is devious. I like it.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
For someone with a C#/Java background, where should I start looking for an introduction to Obj-C? Are there any good options for learning the language in a Windows environment?

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Above Our Own posted:

For someone with a C#/Java background, where should I start looking for an introduction to Obj-C? Are there any good options for learning the language in a Windows environment?

If I were you, and I was at one point, I'd just jump straight in and google stuff when you get stumped.
You should have a pretty easy time getting into objective C.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Juc66 posted:

If I were you, and I was at one point, I'd just jump straight in and google stuff when you get stumped.
You should have a pretty easy time getting into objective C.
Agreed. If you want to feel a bit more comfortable, here are a few resources:
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1568732
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ProgrammingWithObjectiveC/Introduction/Introduction.html
http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/cocoa/Conceptual/OOP_ObjC/OOP_ObjC.pdf

See the literature list at the beginning of the thread for the rest and read up on things every so often.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

About a year ago I jumped onto a team using Obj-C having never touched it and I went to read as much as I could beforehand to bring myself up to speed. The two best resources were the Standford iOS development lecture series on iTunes, and From C++ to Objective-C

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Ugh. I just spent hours trying to make a component into its own static library.

Yes, Xcode, when I put armv7, armv7s, and i386 as the target architectures that means I want you to build all 3 and put them in the same Goddamned fat binary. It doesn't mean to silently leave out i386. And when I build it in Release mode, it'd be great if you could find it in your heart to still link against it when I build my app for Debug, thanks.

:suicide:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Did you succeed, and was there anything especially unintuitive about the process that might help someone else? I've only done static libraries like that for open source code by messing with configure scripts then using lipo at the end.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's working now. Found a little script on Stackoverflow that builds separate libraries for the device and simulator and then sticks them together with lipo. It works, but I was hoping Xcode would have this sort of thing built in.

A not-insignificant chunk of time was spent poring over build settings, thinking maybe I had missed something.

Then I got the bright idea to just make it a framework, but Xcode doesn't support creating frameworks for iOS out of the box. There are lots of projects (none of which seem to have updated recently) that make iOS framework templates, but a number of those involve making modifications to Xcode. Modifying Xcode seems pretty fragile and error-prone, and by this point I was ready to call it a night, so I abandoned the framework thing.

I made a new aggregation target with the following script as its only action:
code:
TARGET_NAME=YourLibraryNameGoesHere

CONFIGURATION=Release
DEVICE=iphoneos
SIMULATOR=iphonesimulator
FAT=universal
OUTPUT=build
LIBRARY_NAME=lib${TARGET_NAME}.a
HEADERS_DIR_NAME=headers

for sdk in ${DEVICE} ${SIMULATOR}; do
    xcodebuild -sdk $sdk -configuration ${CONFIGURATION} -target ${TARGET_NAME} -verbose
done

device_output=${OUTPUT}/${CONFIGURATION}-${DEVICE}
simulator_output=${OUTPUT}/${CONFIGURATION}-${SIMULATOR}
fatlib_output=${OUTPUT}/${CONFIGURATION}-${FAT}

rm -rf "${fatlib_output}"
mkdir -p "${fatlib_output}"
lipo -create -output "${fatlib_output}/${LIBRARY_NAME}" "${device_output}/${LIBRARY_NAME}" "${simulator_output}/${LIBRARY_NAME}"

headers_dir="${fatlib_output}/${HEADERS_DIR_NAME}"
mkdir -p "${headers_dir}"
cp ${TARGET_NAME}/*.h "${headers_dir}"

open "${fatlib_output}"

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
So I was staring at the Google Authenticator icon in disgust just now and thinking about how garbage that app is. Nobody seems to talk about alternatives, just Google Authenticator. So here I am thinking I'd make a purdy two-factor app and call it "something dumb, like Authy". I do a name check on iTunes, and then....seriously god dammit people.

At least I don't have to figure out how to piss people off with IAPs for authenticator slots or something.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Well, Authy isn't open source. If someone added iPad support to Google Authenticator, I would be pretty pleased.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

WHY IS THAT MUG USING A LAPTOP AS A COASTER

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Is there a way to customize a UIAlertView with a nib? All the sample code I can find lays out the view programmatically. The best I came up with is to define my customizations to the alert (just a "don't show again" option, by the way) in a nib, load the nib from a subclass of UIView, and add an instance of my subclass as a subview of the alert

e: seems to be working, except I get the switch button in the top right corner of the alert, and no text label :ughh:. Just a minor setback...

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 5, 2013

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Sooner or later you'll have to customize or create views programmatically, might as well get used to it now.

But be warned, modifying stuff like UIAlertView isn't very future proof. Apple has changed the internal layout of UIAlertView in the past, and the could very likely do it again with iOS 7.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Doc Block posted:

But be warned, modifying stuff like UIAlertView isn't very future proof. Apple has changed the internal layout of UIAlertView in the past, and the could very likely do it again with iOS 7.

I tried to be sneaky and put my customized view in place of text input field #0, so that UIAlertView will unknowingly lay it out for me, but I can't hide the input field, in any way. Now, after reading 100% serious suggestions like "just add linefeeds at the end of your message to make room for stuff", I think I'll give up and add the "don't show again" box some other time (why isn't this standard? am I supposed to use a different UI pattern?)

e: svn revert -R . :sigh:

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 5, 2013

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Could always add a button that says "OK (don't show again)" or something.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Is anyone good with random, hard-to-reproduce crashes emanating from WebCore? In desperation I'm giving web views as little to do as possible. Even downloading the relevant WebKit source and tracing the more common crashes gives me nothing to go on.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
How do I put buttons in the title bar of a window like Readr?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Edit: nevermind, thought this was a different thread.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sinestro posted:

How do I put buttons in the title bar of a window like Readr?

INAppStoreWindow might have some clues.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Is this really the best way to open a https://www.mywebsite.com URL in an app instead of the browser?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1108693/is-it-possible-to-register-a-httpdomain-based-url-scheme-for-iphone-apps-like/1109200#1109200

Basically:

User goes to website in mobile safari
Check user agent for iPhone/iPad
Check for app installed cookie
- If cookie exists, and is set to true, open app with custom scheme mywebsite://blah
- If cookie exists, and is set to false, load web page
- If cookie doesn't exist, show a dialog with 3 options
-- Yes, I have the app installed take me there
--- Create cookie and set to true
-- No, but I want the app (goes to app store)
-- No, don't notifiy me again
--- Create cookie and set to false

This is so much easier on Android :(

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I don't know what all that complication is for. Your app registers someprotocol:// and your site redirects to a URL at that protocol.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

pokeyman posted:

I don't know what all that complication is for. Your app registers someprotocol:// and your site redirects to a URL at that protocol.

I think the problem is he wants the application to point to http://hisappurl

Which does seem to be a more complicated problem than should be necessary.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Like Youtube, I'm guessing. I can't say I've seen any other app do that. The Youtube thing was probably a byproduct of YouTube being previously bundled with the OS.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Glimm posted:

I think the problem is he wants the application to point to http://hisappurl

Which does seem to be a more complicated problem than should be necessary.

Correct. We want users to click a link in an email and have it go to the App if it's installed. If it's not, then they view our website in mobile Safari.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Correct. We want users to click a link in an email and have it go to the App if it's installed. If it's not, then they view our website in mobile Safari.

There's a way I've seen this done that involves javascript timeouts on the URL request. I can't research it properly because I'm on a train with poor connection, but I'm sure there's some way of doing it so if your custom URL request (to hisappurl://) fails you can fall back to http://hisappurl.com being opened in Safari.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Froist posted:

There's a way I've seen this done that involves javascript timeouts on the URL request. I can't research it properly because I'm on a train with poor connection, but I'm sure there's some way of doing it so if your custom URL request (to hisappurl://) fails you can fall back to http://hisappurl.com being opened in Safari.

Yeah that's what it looks like we'll have to end up doing as well. Thanks for providing a sanity check guys. :shobon:

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Is not supporting the double-height statusbar rejectionable? loving AIR is awful and trying to get it to handle FullScreen (no statusbar) and 2x height statusbar during a phone call without it either masking or resizing improperly is going to kill me, I think.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Campbell posted:

Is not supporting the double-height statusbar rejectionable? loving AIR is awful and trying to get it to handle FullScreen (no statusbar) and 2x height statusbar during a phone call without it either masking or resizing improperly is going to kill me, I think.

Nah. From experience, they won't reject you for it, but your app might be unusable if you've got an important button down there or something. Note that iOS6 navigation will do a double-height status bar, in addition to the phone call cases.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Yea, see with an Adobe AIR app it throws a subview into the RootViewController but is otherwise untouchable by iOS except through events dispatched back into flash. That view, regardless of how I try to adjust it from IOS doesn't like to listen to autoresize properties, so I'm resorted to just trying to manually place it at y=0 or y=40 depending on if the bar is on or off.

I've been experimenting with using the StatusBarWillChange, DidEnterBackground, DidEnterForeground events to detect when a double-height bar is shown, and that seems fine. But sometimes it'll end up cropping the subview, or stretching it unexpectedly, like when the Native IOS Camera is used. Resetting the frame size of the root view (and subviews) is just as spotty in those cases.

Anyways, if it won't outright get us rejected, I almost think not having the phone bar is better than having it be ok except in a few cases. I'm just a dev though, so who knows how that'll fly.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Campbell posted:

Yea, see with an Adobe AIR app it throws a subview into the RootViewController but is otherwise untouchable by iOS except through events dispatched back into flash. That view, regardless of how I try to adjust it from IOS doesn't like to listen to autoresize properties, so I'm resorted to just trying to manually place it at y=0 or y=40 depending on if the bar is on or off.

I've been experimenting with using the StatusBarWillChange, DidEnterBackground, DidEnterForeground events to detect when a double-height bar is shown, and that seems fine. But sometimes it'll end up cropping the subview, or stretching it unexpectedly, like when the Native IOS Camera is used. Resetting the frame size of the root view (and subviews) is just as spotty in those cases.

Anyways, if it won't outright get us rejected, I almost think not having the phone bar is better than having it be ok except in a few cases. I'm just a dev though, so who knows how that'll fly.

Not on my mac at the moment, but I wonder if it would be possible to use KVO to observe a property (such as frame) of the root view, window, or view controller, then send a notification into the AIR part of your app, using whatever mechanism you have available.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Campbell posted:

Option A:

Does the AIR App give you a root view controller? What's supposed to happen is you have a view controller associated with your window. You'd basically do "[window setRootViewController:AIRViewController]" somewhere in your AppDelegate startup process, and iOS is supposed to take care of the rest.

Option B:

You at least have an app delegate, right? Back when I didn't realize I had forgotten to do Option A, I had this code set up to deal with status bar changes:

code:
-(void)application:(UIApplication *)application willChangeStatusBarFrame:(CGRect)newStatusBarFrame
{
	[UIView animateWithDuration:.35 animations:^{

[mainController.view setFrame:CGRectMake(0, newStatusBarFrame.size.height, window.bounds.size.width, window.bounds.size.height - newStatusBarFrame.size.height)];

}];
}
You can also add an observer to UIApplicationWillChangeStatusBarFrameNotification on [UIApplication sharedApplication], and then get [[UIApplication sharedApplication] statusBarFrame] when that observer fires. It's basically the same thing, but works outside of the AppDelegate.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Say my app is using two keys that one of our SaaS web services provides us with, and they're basically a couple of string consts in the code. How likely is someone to get hold of those keys, assuming they're always passed around over HTTPS? I know that AppStore binaries are supposedly encrypted (does this apply to In-House distributions?), but I imagine someone at some point figured out how to decrypt those after rooting the phone and downloading the IPA. Is that true?

My issue is that we don't really have proper ACLs in place yet because of both UX reasons and lack of time, so I'm trying to understand how long we have before someone jacks the keys and downloads our entire data set. To pre-empty criticism, the current security-by-obscurity state is unquestionably terrible, so I'm just trying to figure out how much of a burning issue this is.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Maybe just store the keys XORed in your code and then unXOR them at runtime. Otherwise, anybody who bothers to run strings on your binary will find the keys.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

DreadCthulhu posted:

Say my app is using two keys that one of our SaaS web services provides us with, and they're basically a couple of string consts in the code. How likely is someone to get hold of those keys, assuming they're always passed around over HTTPS? I know that AppStore binaries are supposedly encrypted (does this apply to In-House distributions?), but I imagine someone at some point figured out how to decrypt those after rooting the phone and downloading the IPA. Is that true?

My issue is that we don't really have proper ACLs in place yet because of both UX reasons and lack of time, so I'm trying to understand how long we have before someone jacks the keys and downloads our entire data set. To pre-empty criticism, the current security-by-obscurity state is unquestionably terrible, so I'm just trying to figure out how much of a burning issue this is.

It might be worth obfuscating the constants and decrypting them at runtime. And yes, my understanding is that the app binary can be easily decrypted on a jailbroken device. Also, nothing else in the IPA is encrypted as a result of App Store distribution, just the binary. Dunno about in-house distribution. HTTPS is irrelevant if users can install certs on the device, they can watch all the traffic by MITMing themselves.

The real answer is to fix your app's interaction with the relevant services, which you appear to already know, so maybe get on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

Maybe just store the keys XORed in your code and then unXOR them at runtime. Otherwise, anybody who bothers to run strings on your binary will find the keys.

They'd have to decrypt the binary first.