Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which show has the most (current or future) jobbers wrestling on it?
This poll is closed.
WWE NXT 62 16.36%
WWE Superstars 75 19.79%
WWE Saturday Morning Slam - lmao this thread is old 24 6.33%
WWE Main Event 22 5.80%
Impact Wrestling 196 51.72%
Total: 379 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me

JimWK posted:

Gone as in called up to the main roster, or released from the company?

Bit of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

JimWK posted:

Gone as in called up to the main roster, or released from the company?

Kinda both. That was worded poorly, but you still get what I'm saying. None of their guys are there forever either way.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

They have a habit of calling up people who just won titles too, which isn't doing them any favours in building stars. If they can give someone a credible run* as the NXT champ and not just put it on someone who is already way over with the crowd, it will do them a lot of good in the long run.

*Not Bo

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I dunno, Big E got a pretty good run with the NXT title, and he was over as gently caress. Just have to remember that NXT is filmed weeks in advance, so it makes title reigns/call-ups seem much closer together than they actually are.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

VogeGandire posted:

I dunno, Big E got a pretty good run with the NXT title, and he was over as gently caress. Just have to remember that NXT is filmed weeks in advance, so it makes title reigns/call-ups seem much closer together than they actually are.
How many defenses has he actually had though? I think I can remember three in total, which for 6 months isn't that much (Conor O Brien, Damien Sandow and a squash on someone. I want to say Brad Maddox?). I get that they're filmed as batches ahead of time and an hour for an entire roster of developmental talent is pretty tough to fit in, but he's the champ. He should have a prominent place on the show to give the title some worth.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kifisonfire posted:

How many defenses has he actually had though? I think I can remember three in total, which for 6 months isn't that much (Conor O Brien, Damien Sandow and a squash on someone. I want to say Brad Maddox?). I get that they're filmed as batches ahead of time and an hour for an entire roster of developmental talent is pretty tough to fit in, but he's the champ. He should have a prominent place on the show to give the title some worth.

According to Wiki and Cagematch he's defended it 3 times against Conor O'Brian, Brad Maddox and Damien Sandow. He has however been regularly competing so even when the title isn't on the line he's still on the show. I'd say right now they're more concerned with the tag titles, plus Big E was called up fairly early in his reign.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Much as I'm enjoying Sami Zayn so far in NXT, his smarky indie fans are already getting annoying because there aren't enough of them to get an actual "Ole" chant going. So during all of his matches we just get about 30 false starts by some drunk guy or some kid and then it quickly stops. It gets to the point where it's distracting.

Maybe it'll get better when he's called up, or if they actually let him put the mask on, but for right now I wish they'd just embrace the new character unless they can get at least a full group of people to start up a chant.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

sticklefifer posted:

Much as I'm enjoying Sami Zayn so far in NXT, his smarky indie fans are already getting annoying because there aren't enough of them to get an actual "Ole" chant going. So during all of his matches we just get about 30 false starts by some drunk guy or some kid and then it quickly stops. It gets to the point where it's distracting.

Maybe it'll get better when he's called up, or if they actually let him put the mask on, but for right now I wish they'd just embrace the new character unless they can get at least a full group of people to start up a chant.
It was his first day on NXT. It'll die down eventually.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

sticklefifer posted:

I imagine that it might pick up, I mean this is the same crowd that chanted "SHAH" everytime Curtis Axel hit somebody.

JimWK
Oct 29, 2004

Liar Lyre posted:

Kinda both. That was worded poorly, but you still get what I'm saying. None of their guys are there forever either way.

Yea, I just was not sure if there was some fear going through NXT management that they were going to clean house, or something. I'm just starting to get into NXT, and my knowledge of the dirtsheets is limited to what gets posted in this and the weekly discussion thread.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

achillesforever6 posted:

I imagine that it might pick up, I mean this is the same crowd that chanted "SHAH" everytime Curtis Axel hit somebody.

See, that's something I wish would catch on in WWE main shows.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

sticklefifer posted:

See, that's something I wish would catch on in WWE main shows.

That's the nice thing about running a small fed with a regular audience. They get to know the wrestlers, and little stuff like this can catch on.

When you're touring to a new 10,000 person venue every week, it's harder to get little things like this over.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The "SHAH" thing is also much easier to hear in the much smaller arena. Which is why it caught on so quickly.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

njsykora posted:

What you need to bear in mind about the current NXT roster is that a lot of it is pretty much the top level of indie talent from the last 3-4 years and Big E Langston.

I'm aware, but that was basically the case with Ohno and Rollins and Co. as well and it wasn't near this level.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Watching this week's NXT, it appears the NXT crowd have taken to Mason Ryan's "Colossus of Cardiff" nickname. They've started doing the X-Men Arcade "WHOOOOOAGH!" roar for him.

Also, it looks like we're going to get another Cesaro/Zayn match! :woop:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Watching Cesaro/Sheamus on Main Event right now and it is a total war. Really, really great match. It's marred a little by the commentary (even though Ricardo's there) but the crowd gets really into it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, push or not, giving someone like Cesaro lengthy, impressive, weekly matches on TV isn't the worst thing in the world.

I can't explain why, but for some reason Cesaro's new tan makes him look smaller in the ring. Maybe it's the ridiculous contrast with Sheamus or something, but I swear Cesaro usually looks bigger to me and I've only noticed this since he started tanning.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

June 6, 2013

Bo vs. E contract signing (with Jim Ross)
Corey Graves interview
Tamina vs. Paige (title tourney)
Kassius interview
Colin Casady vs. Mason Ryan
Sami Zayn interview
Alex Riley vs. Conor O'Brien
Ohno & Graves vs. Wyatt Family

He's tall...he's lean...he plays sports.

June 6, 2013

Sheamus vs. Cesaro
Usos vs. Rhodes Scholars
Curt Hawkins vs. Justin Gabriel

May 30, 2013

Cesaro vs. R-Truth
PTP vs. Gabriel & Sin Cara

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Was that a Misawa shirt that Kassius was wearing in that interview?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Was that a Misawa shirt that Kassius was wearing in that interview?

It sure looked like it.

Also, this week, they showed a new Leo Kruger video, which was a sort of new version of his creepy first one from way back when. Looks like they may be pushing him again in NXT soon.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Also I like this play by play guy, he actually calls the moves!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Makes sense to push Kruger now; there's going to be a creepy heel void in NXT pretty soon.

Bo in a suit makes me think they should've just made him IRS Jr. He should've always been a slimy heel.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ALEX RILEY.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

I can't explain why, but for some reason Cesaro's new tan makes him look smaller in the ring. Maybe it's the ridiculous contrast with Sheamus or something, but I swear Cesaro usually looks bigger to me and I've only noticed this since he started tanning.

I think it's more because of his lack of ring gear. He seriously just wears trunks and shoes now - no kneepads, elbowpads, wrist tape, or leg wraps. It makes him look a bit scrawny, especially against Sheamus, but at the same time they seemed to be telling the story that Cesaro was the quicker, more agile one while Sheamus was the big bruiser so it worked on that level.

I have no idea why they chose to end the show with Gabriel vs Hawkins and not Sheamus/Cesaro though.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think it's more because of his lack of ring gear. He seriously just wears trunks and shoes now - no kneepads, elbowpads, wrist tape, or leg wraps. It makes him look a bit scrawny, especially against Sheamus, but at the same time they seemed to be telling the story that Cesaro was the quicker, more agile one while Sheamus was the big bruiser so it worked on that level.

I have no idea why they chose to end the show with Gabriel vs Hawkins and not Sheamus/Cesaro though.

They've been doing that lately. Opening Main Event with the awesome match, and then closing it with something much more "meh." Don't know why.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Jay 2K Winger posted:

They've been doing that lately. Opening Main Event with the awesome match, and then closing it with something much more "meh." Don't know why.
By "lately" you mean "always." The main event on Main Event has literally always been first.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The awesome Ascension music is back :neckbeard:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cromulent posted:

By "lately" you mean "always." The main event on Main Event has literally always been first.

It's so weird though. I feel like we've hashed this out on PSP many times before but a main event, by definition, should go on last on the broadcast (UFC playing dark matches after the main doesn't count).

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Maybe it's a network TV thing. They're trying to get people who are looking for something to watch at the top of the hour, and they're more likely to stick with a main event match rather than a prelim with Curt Hawkins. They did the same thing with a lot of the 80's Saturday Night's Main Event. Hogan vs whoever would go on first, and it'd end with a boring tag match.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's so weird though. I feel like we've hashed this out on PSP many times before but a main event, by definition, should go on last on the broadcast (UFC playing dark matches after the main doesn't count).

This comes up around music festivals too over who's headlining. I heard it defined as no matter what the promoters say (mostly with regards to 'double headliners' the band that goes on last and plays longest is the headliner.

In wrestling I consider it to be the most important match on the show is the main event, the one everyone's paying to see. So naturally in the world of TV it makes most sense to put it on last so people watch the whole show. In reality however since Main Event is taped before Smackdown they want the big match out there first to get the crowd going then they record a "come down" match nobody really cares about so everyone can go get snacks before the actual Smackdown taping starts.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Bo Dallas sucks.

edit: Also, Paige is dumb. Don't try to headbutt Samoans.

getitoffgetitoff fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 6, 2013

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The crowd seems really hot for this Sheamus/Cesaro match.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

njsykora posted:

This comes up around music festivals too over who's headlining. I heard it defined as no matter what the promoters say (mostly with regards to 'double headliners' the band that goes on last and plays longest is the headliner.

In wrestling I consider it to be the most important match on the show is the main event, the one everyone's paying to see. So naturally in the world of TV it makes most sense to put it on last so people watch the whole show. In reality however since Main Event is taped before Smackdown they want the big match out there first to get the crowd going then they record a "come down" match nobody really cares about so everyone can go get snacks before the actual Smackdown taping starts.

Yeah that makes sense. I usually think of these shows in a vacuum and not as a lead-in to Raw, even though that's what they are.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

njsykora posted:

I understand that. But Main Event is taped and aired later, so there's nothing stopping them from editing it so the actual main event (in this case, Sheamus/Cesaro) comes last.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

getitoffgetitoff posted:

edit: Also, Paige is dumb. Don't try to headbutt Samoans.

I thought the same thing ha

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jay 2K Winger posted:

I understand that. But Main Event is taped and aired later, so there's nothing stopping them from editing it so the actual main event (in this case, Sheamus/Cesaro) comes last.

I always figured it was "Here's the match we promised you right off the bat. If that doesn't fill the hour, here's Justin Gabriel doing flippy things."

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

NXT is so good.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I want to see Mason Ryan and Ryback just wailing on each other until someone's heart explodes. It'd probably be a fantastic match.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

sticklefifer posted:

I always figured it was "Here's the match we promised you right off the bat. If that doesn't fill the hour, here's Justin Gabriel doing flippy things."

This is the case; it's got a thematic tie-in to the original Saturday Night's Main Event shows. Those were more a product of their time slot than anything else; replacing Saturday Night Live meant going on at 11:35 Eastern, and having a big match at the beginning of the show was important to keep viewers in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Pseudophile posted:

I want to see Mason Ryan and Ryback just wailing on each other until someone's heart explodes. It'd probably be a fantastic match.

Just have them reenact Big Daddy v. Giant Haystacks spot for spot. It would be both MOTY and WMOTY.

• Locked thread