Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Speaking of which, is there a version of Vinland Saga that's printed left-to-right? This thread made me want to read it but I can't stand the manga format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've heard some people mention whether they like to reload saves or not. For what it's worth I treat this game as being totally "iron man" and only never load to previous point. Currently that means that instead of trying to unite Ireland I'm playing as female ruler controlling 4 duchies who's main concern is how to reunite her fathers broken lands without getting her new baby boy murdered like the old one.

Speaking of hard-scrabble politics, the mayor of a town doesn't like me. Rather than revoke his title or kill him, I thought I'd send my chancellor over to improve diplomatic relations. I'm assuming diplomatic relations can be improved with more people than just the head person in charge of the duchy. I mean, I rule the duchy of Thomond, so am I wasting my Chancellors time or can he have a positive effect on this annoying little mayor of Limerick?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Qwo posted:

Speaking of which, is there a version of Vinland Saga that's printed left-to-right? This thread made me want to read it but I can't stand the manga format.

I don't think it's even printed in English, I've only ever seen fan translations, and those will always be right to left.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Why do you care that some pissant mayor doesn't like you? The peasantry are there to pay you taxes and die in your wars.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Does anybody have a breaksown of how the character finder works? Ans also is there a way to see who is willing to join your court in the character finder?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Annath posted:

So, what would have to be done to:

1. Flesh out the Hellenistic faith to bring it up to par with the Norse/Slavic/OG paganism?

2. Flesh out a Roman Culture to be on par with the others, so you get specific named ranks equivalent to Jarls etc

Is there a mod that does these kinds of things? I want to create and expand the classical Roman Empire.

Oh, same question with regard to Welsh/Celts. An event to spawn a huge army led by Artorius, returned to reunite Brittania would be :krad:

(Yeah, I went and read the first 11 volumes of Vinland Saga...)

Quoting myself for the new page, anyone have some light to shed?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Why do you care that some pissant mayor doesn't like you? The peasantry are there to pay you taxes and die in your wars.

CapnAndy is arbitrary, -10 points. :(

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CapnAndy posted:

I thought a vassal with a low opinion could join a plot against me? Is a mayor just not anyone powerful enough to worry about? Now that you mention it my Demesne is only 2 duchies, while my only vassal (my sister) controls 2 duchies herself. She has a nice opinion of me (yay content!) but should I be way, way more worried about what my equally as powerful as me vassal thinks?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I thought a vassal with a low opinion could join a plot against me?

Yes, but

quote:

should I be way, way more worried about what my equally as powerful as me vassal thinks?

yes. Any vassal or courtier with a low opinion is a potential plotter, but the more powerful a vassal they are the more plot power they potentially are to your enemies. This means that you need to keep powerful vassals, officeholders, and PARTICULARLY your spymaster happy if you don't want to end up dead in a manure explosion.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Okay, so patch 1.10 seems to have made starting in Dublin a lot harder because some Welsh rear end in a top hat keeps rolling up with 150 galleys and a gigantic army and claiming Dublin. I'm still really new at this game and trying to learn but this poo poo is kind of frustrating. Does anyone have better recommendations? I've seen people mention the HRE but it's just such a gigantic clusterfuck that I don't know where to begin. I'd rather stay remote like Ireland if possible, until I get a real good feel for the game mechanics.

Also, I feel like I spend a lot of time watching the days just roll past with nothing happening, and money is hard to come by. Is this normal or am I playing the game totally wrong?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I thought a vassal with a low opinion could join a plot against me? Is a mayor just not anyone powerful enough to worry about? Now that you mention it my Demesne is only 2 duchies, while my only vassal (my sister) controls 2 duchies herself. She has a nice opinion of me (yay content!) but should I be way, way more worried about what my equally as powerful as me vassal thinks?

He could conspire against you, sure, but baron-level characters like mayors generally don't have too much in the way of plot power.

As for your sister being equally powerful, I'm guessing you mean you each control two counties? At any rate, if her demense is as large as yours, definitely worry about keeping her happy over the mayor. Especially if she's your sister, since she's likely to have inherited claims on the titles you inherited from your parents. She could easily start a faction to take your titles from you, or plot to murder your progeny (and you) so she inherits everything.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I hope we get a new CK2+ - I'm having too much of an easy time keeping these empires together :ohdear:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DrNutt posted:

Also, I feel like I spend a lot of time watching the days just roll past with nothing happening, and money is hard to come by. Is this normal or am I playing the game totally wrong?
Very, very normal. Life as a small-time Duke is boring. Make sure your one vassal is happy with you, make sure your kids are educated well or married to someone awesome, sit back, relax, wait for your Chancellor to forge you some new claims. Build up your main holding so that you'll have more men when he does. You'll get more money and more things to do as your holdings increase in size.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CapnAndy posted:

Very, very normal. Life as a small-time Duke is boring. Make sure your one vassal is happy with you, make sure your kids are educated well or married to someone awesome, sit back, relax, wait for your Chancellor to forge you some new claims. Build up your main holding so that you'll have more men when he does. You'll get more money and more things to do as your holdings increase in size.

That's good to know. So is there a better place to start in Ireland than Dublin? Earl Murchad is a dumbass with dumbass children and a dumbass chancellor (6.01% chance per year to forge a claim :hurr: ).

crm
Oct 24, 2004

How do you figure out what the succession line for somebody else's title is?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Okay, so patch 1.10 seems to have made starting in Dublin a lot harder because some Welsh rear end in a top hat keeps rolling up with 150 galleys and a gigantic army and claiming Dublin. I'm still really new at this game and trying to learn but this poo poo is kind of frustrating. Does anyone have better recommendations? I've seen people mention the HRE but it's just such a gigantic clusterfuck that I don't know where to begin. I'd rather stay remote like Ireland if possible, until I get a real good feel for the game mechanics.

Swear fealty to him and live to fight another day.

DrNutt posted:

That's good to know. So is there a better place to start in Ireland than Dublin? Earl Murchad is a dumbass with dumbass children and a dumbass chancellor (6.01% chance per year to forge a claim :hurr: ).

In 1066, the earl of Munster is the best.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Is there any way for me to scheme my way to the throne of an Agnatic Elective England as an outsider? I'm King of Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France, most of Spain, Egypt, and most of the Holy Land and the Arabian Peninsula, but I have no lands in England proper. I made a matrilinal marriage to the third-in-line for the throne and tried murdering my way through to him, but since it's elective and the succession list is constantly changing, that douchebag is now off the list entirely.

We're all Catholic, so Holy War isn't available. Do I have any options other than fabricating claims and hoping I get lucky with a couple duchies to spare me the county-by-county slog?

DrNutt posted:

I like Connacht. You start off as Duke, giving you an immediate claim on Briefne, and you start with a genius on your council in Michael. The position he starts in varies depending on who your other randomly generated courtiers are, but he makes a great chancellor, steward, or marshal.

FiddlersThree fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 6, 2013

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
edit: ^^^^if you can mat-marry to someone with an inheritable claim (or someone who will get one, if you can guarantee that the ruler will die before they do) then you can get a claim at least, but you'll still have to fight a war for it. Peacefully inheriting Agnatic Elective realms is tricky because vassals don't usually like to vote for outsiders.

DrNutt posted:

Most starting characters' stats (and some of their traits) are regenerated at game start, so you might have better luck by rerolling the game and hoping your court isn't full of idiots the second time around.

(that said, Munster may be a better start in 1066, especially now that you need 51% to claim a duchy so you can't rapidly create Meath and Leinster for the easy claims on two more provinces).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 6, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Is the give_title debug command broken for everyone else?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DrNutt posted:

Grab The Old Gods while it is fresh and unbalanced. Playing Norse characters is much more engaging, if you are not doing anything else you can always go Viking and raid some European coast. This gives you money and prestige, so it is just awesome. Also you won't have any problems with getting CB's because as someone already posted in the thread:

Daeren posted:

Vikings, meanwhile, can point to any border or coast province and go "DIBS :black101:" and just take the loving things whenever they want. They can also subjugate entire pagan kingdoms at once every decade or so. Viking early game is way more engaging because you don't have to sit around praying for the right claim to be grabbed so you can finally start pushing de jure claims.

You can then play the count of Dublin, scion of the Yngling dynasty (those are the kings of Norway for most of the games time period, and your cousin will probably form said kingdom before 30 years are over). Raid people to get money, use the conquest CB to grab Ireland and when you are strong enough you can overthrow your liege, who may be king of Scotland.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Annath posted:

I don't think it's even printed in English, I've only ever seen fan translations, and those will always be right to left.
Ah, you're right, looks like the first English translation is coming out on hardcover in October.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I like Duke of Munster. You get one vassal Earl and one de jure claim right at the start, it's a good way to learn both vassals and claims. And then bam, 3-county duchy! It's a good starter.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'm having a good game from starting as a random count in the ERE. Started as the Count of Achaea, married a Quick courtier from Hesse, had a single Slow son. Died at 22, babby son takes over. The Slow son somehow managed to survive to adulthood, although nearly died while walking in the woods with his Regent.

His first wife is a random Genius courtier, she produces 4 kids before dieing of depression :smith: The first one is a Quick girl, but the next three are Slow boys. And of course it's Agnotic-Cognatic, so the boys will inherit first.

I then betrothed him to the Quick 4th daughter of the Duke of Aquitaine. After they were married the Duke decides he wants to be free of the Kingdom of West Francia, and revolts. During the war, every single one of his kids (except for my wife) are killed in battle, although he does end up succeeding in the revolt. He dies of wounds received in the war, and my wife ends up inheriting the Kingdom of Aquitaine.

My king is now 70, has revolted three times against the Basileus of the ERE (who is 67), been imprisoned three times, and yet still has his eyes and balls. I like to think him and the Basileus are old friends at this point. He still gets invited to go to tournaments and feasts in the capital, and just every now and then let's the Basileus know that he is revolting again to keep up appearances.

The downside to being so old is having so many kids, and grandkids. So now I need to figure out how to kill off 12 family members so that the heir to the throne of Aquitaine is also heir to the County of Achaea. I also have a grandson on the throne of the Duchy of Brabant (hell if I know how), and a great-grandson is married to the third in line to the Kingdom of Italy.

So over the course of almost 100 years, my family has gone from a backwater county to having family members in several high places, including several of his kids being Princes and Princesses. I was hoping to actually be a Duke by now and start expanding inside the ERE, but it looks like I'll be doing it outside the ERE.

(my game is modded to make every country start as Agnotic-Cognatic, and makes it so that women can fill every council role. I hated having women be basically useless for most countries, even if it is mostly historically accurate)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Okay, installing my half brother (who has no claims) as the Doge of Venice turned out to be a bad thing. My son inherited him, so now my inheritances are sorta buggered. I thought it would create a cadet branch I could forget about but that didn't happen :v:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Annath posted:

Quoting myself for the new page, anyone have some light to shed?
Well, let's see.

Various questions you could answer and implement:
What should a Hellenistic Court Chaplain be called?
A baron-level theocratic leader? County-level? Duchy, kingdom, empire?
Any special religious characteristics relevant to the Hellenistic faith that could be earned or passed on, like Muslims have Sayyid, or Norse have Viking, or Zoroastrians have shayowhatever?
(Maybe special traits for devoting yourself to one of the specific gods in the pantheon, based on their portfolio)
Singular religious head after reformation, like the Pope, or autocephalous, like Orthodox Patriarchs?
Special names for holy wars or crusades, once reformed?
Concubinage?
Would the religious head be held by the ruler, like in the Caliphates, or would it be a vassal?

As for the roman thing:
Names, obviously, both first and last and patronyms, if any.
Retinue composition, as well as culture-specific building.
Can also have things like Jarl, as you said, culture-specific titles for various levels.
Different honorary titles could be handed out by Roman lieges.

Or are you asking how you'd implement these?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
So how exactly can I predict how high Family Dues will be? I got 1 adult male family member in court and he's taking 8.4 ducats a month which is pretty high for a single guy (I had 400 per year with 12 or so family members in court before).

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DrNutt posted:

With the reduced chances to fabricate claims, Ireland is a super slow place to s
tart. I'm a big fan of the Poland 1067 start since there's a lot to do and it's not much danger. If you're starting with TOG, just pick a Viking nation and murder everything.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I wish I could throw blot everyday. My dungeon's are overcrowded and every time I speak to another lord or duke all I think is, "Hopefully, I'll see you at Blot, fucker."

This DLC has really made me twisted.

Zip fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 6, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Torrannor posted:

Grab The Old Gods while it is fresh and unbalanced. Playing Norse characters is much more engaging, if you are not doing anything else you can always go Viking and raid some European coast. This gives you money and prestige, so it is just awesome. Also you won't have any problems with getting CB's because as someone already posted in the thread:

You can then play the count of Dublin, scion of the Yngling dynasty (those are the kings of Norway for most of the games time period, and your cousin will probably form said kingdom before 30 years are over). Raid people to get money, use the conquest CB to grab Ireland and when you are strong enough you can overthrow your liege, who may be king of Scotland.

I've got the Old Gods but I don't really have a good grasp on the mechanics yet and I got really confused about how poo poo worked when I tried to start there.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
What are good starts besides Ireland?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Infinite Monkeys posted:

The Duchy of Apulia has been a good newbie start since CK1. Relatively easy to take Sicily and become a king on your first character.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Infinite Monkeys posted:

For :black101:, go with one of the two Vikings that start in Northern England/Scotland at game start. You can also try the Becgsomething guy that starts in Denmark, but if East Francia doesn't die quickly it can be rough.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Strudel Man posted:

Well, let's see.

Various questions you could answer and implement:
What should a Hellenistic Court Chaplain be called?
A baron-level theocratic leader? County-level? Duchy, kingdom, empire?
Any special religious characteristics relevant to the Hellenistic faith that could be earned or passed on, like Muslims have Sayyid, or Norse have Viking, or Zoroastrians have shayowhatever?
(Maybe special traits for devoting yourself to one of the specific gods in the pantheon, based on their portfolio)
Singular religious head after reformation, like the Pope, or autocephalous, like Orthodox Patriarchs?
Special names for holy wars or crusades, once reformed?
Concubinage?
Would the religious head be held by the ruler, like in the Caliphates, or would it be a vassal?

As for the roman thing:
Names, obviously, both first and last and patronyms, if any.
Retinue composition, as well as culture-specific building.
Can also have things like Jarl, as you said, culture-specific titles for various levels.
Different honorary titles could be handed out by Roman lieges.

Or are you asking how you'd implement these?

More of the "Is anyone else doing this and if not, how might I learn?"

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Harald Fairhair (in southern Norway) is a good start in 867. You start out with more troops then your neighbors, so you just need to choose "Become King of Norway" as your ambition, subjugate them, then use the troops you gain from subjugating them to subjugate the rest of Norway and raid everyone else. Use the piles of loot from raiding to make yourself a crown, raid some more, hire mercs, invade Sweden, Denmark, and Finland, and you can become Emperor of Scandinavia in less than 100 years without even trying.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Sankis posted:

The Duchy of Apulia has been a good newbie start since CK1. Relatively easy to take Sicily and become a king on your first character.

It's a little more difficult since they introduced the new Republic mechanics. I had my friend try it out on his second play-through after Ireland and he got several holdings sniped off by Pisa, Venice, and Genoa.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Iceland. You're too poor, small, and out of the way for anyone to gently caress with you besides your other Icelandic neighbor. Start in 1066 as Duke Isleifur with a loyal vassal, or Count Sigfus and try to overthrow Isleifur before he becomes a vassal of Norway. The 867 Icelandic start is a lot harder because you are small and insignificant, so one of the Norwegian petty kings will often go after you precisely because of that so they can form the Kingdom of Norway; you basically have to pray that they ignore you or bribe the big men.

Iceland was my first try as a newbie at CK2, and while it was a bit dull since nothing really happened, it was because nothing really happened much that things were slow enough for me to gradually get a grasp on the mechanics. Ireland struck me as having too much action with all the independent Earls, I wanted someplace small and out of the way.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sam. posted:

Harald Fairhair (in southern Norway) is a good start in 867. You start out with more troops then your neighbors, so you just need to choose "Become King of Norway" as your ambition, subjugate them, then use the troops you gain from subjugating them to subjugate the rest of Norway and raid everyone else. Use the piles of loot from raiding to make yourself a crown, raid some more, hire mercs, invade Sweden, Denmark, and Finland, and you can become Emperor of Scandinavia in less than 100 years without even trying.

It really helps that he has an absolutely insane martial score and will quickly rack up leadership traits if he is on the front line.
Edit: Also the dude who starts in sjaeeland is a pretty good pick as well.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

So the Empress of Francia just married the Basileus. Yeah. They already have a son.

This could get ugly, especially since I've been having problems dealing with Francia constantly jumping into my wars against people in Britain. I became king of Ireland in like 900 but Francia held onto Ossory for nearly 200 years. The two greatest Empires on earth fought over this backwater Irish shithole like 6 times. And then finally the Count of Ossory decided that rebelling against the only person who kept him safe was a great idea and ended up taking an axe to the head like a week later when 10,000 angry vikings arrived on his doorstep.

And this isn't dying Byzantium since as you can see they've reclaimed about half of Italy and can basically reclaim actual Rome whenever they feel like it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Annath posted:

More of the "Is anyone else doing this and if not, how might I learn?"
Ah. Well, for a lot of them, the actual implementation isn't that tricky. You can accomplish new cultural titles just by adding localisation entries. Like, if you wanted Roman Dukes to be called 'Dux,' you could just have a localisation entry

duke_roman;Dux;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

And maybe you could have Imperators and Imperatrixes for Emperor-tier titles

emperor_roman;Imperator;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
emperor_female_roman;Imperatrix;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

Though that would sound at least a little funny, as by default an Imperator's wife would be called an Imperatrix, which wouldn't be quite right. But stuff like that.

New honorary titles would have to go in common/minor_titles/, new traits in traits...really, it's hard to give an overview, as it would probably touch on most aspects of modding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Dauntasa posted:

So the Empress of Francia just married the Basileus. Yeah. They already have a son.

This could get ugly, especially since I've been having problems dealing with Francia constantly jumping into my wars against people in Britain. I became king of Ireland in like 900 but Francia held onto Ossory for nearly 200 years. The two greatest Empires on earth fought over this backwater Irish shithole like 6 times. And then finally the Count of Ossory decided that rebelling against the only person who kept him safe was a great idea and ended up taking an axe to the head like a week later when 10,000 angry vikings arrived on his doorstep.

And this isn't dying Byzantium since as you can see they've reclaimed about half of Italy and can basically reclaim actual Rome whenever they feel like it.

I ran into a similar thing in my most recent game, though Francia was less interested in intervening in my wars on the isles. It made it a lot harder to expand into Germany and Moravia though. What I ended up doing was waiting fora Francian civil war to pounce on a quick duchy, while chipping away on the eastern pagan states slowly but surely.

I wonder if the Francian-Byzantine union is something that's more likely to occur if there is a powerful, reformed pagan empire. Either way, it's a scary event to see unfold.

• Locked thread