Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Gammatron 64 posted:

Battle Network \ Starforce
gently caress those games, they suck.

Dunno about Starforce but Battle Network was OK yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

S-Alpha posted:

I will straight-up e-fight you over that. :mad:

Put up yer dukes!

But nah, I understand some people like Battle Network and that's fine, I'm not gonna judge you or anything, but I find those games about as fun as a root canal. They're not for me.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Gammatron 64 posted:

Iris only showed up in X4 and Xtreme 2 and was pretty lame in both of them. Iris was literally a throwaway character, in that she got killed off in her first appearance.

Iris' true legacy is in prompting the "What am I fighting forrr?" meme.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Gammatron 64 posted:

Honestly, if I'm gonna list the Megaman figures I'd really want:

Classic
list

Metal Man, who should have won in the last round of voting

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!
Battle Network 1 was neat in that it was an alternate Mega Man world where things were cheerful compared to the increasingly dark X and Zero series. It was just a boring game. Maybe it came out when I was just getting tired of RPGs, but I don't like how it mixed random battles with a lack of experience points. After a while, I just got sick of wondering around in the Internet.

Maybe things improved in the second game, but by then I was done with the series. I didn't even know there was a Star Force series until this thread.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Ciel never does anything more than be a damsel in distress and he design isn't even unique or interesting. She's as plain and boring as they come.
http://rockmanciel.com/

There's a following that's making a fan game to change exactly that.

e:

Okay, that looks pretty awesome.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BloodDesk UnderHell posted:

Battle Network 1 was neat in that it was an alternate Mega Man world where things were cheerful compared to the increasingly dark X and Zero series. It was just a boring game. Maybe it came out when I was just getting tired of RPGs, but I don't like how it mixed random battles with a lack of experience points. After a while, I just got sick of wondering around in the Internet.

Maybe things improved in the second game, but by then I was done with the series. I didn't even know there was a Star Force series until this thread.

Uh yes things improved in the second game by about 10 fold.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Uh yes things improved in the second game by about 10 fold.

Maybe if the first game wasn't so boring I might have gotten the second.

Later I decided "OK, I'll give these a second chance." And the one I got was... Battle Network 4. Yeah, that certainly didn't help me warm up to the series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TaurusOxford posted:

I still don't understand how Ciel makes it to anyone's top 3. Volnutt sure, but CIEL?!

I think I saw some people posting about voting for Iris in this very thread. I guess there's just no accounting for bad taste.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gammatron 64 posted:

Maybe if the first game wasn't so boring I might have gotten the second.

Later I decided "OK, I'll give these a second chance." And the one I got was... Battle Network 4. Yeah, that certainly didn't help me warm up to the series.

Much like every series of Mega Man games, there's 2 or 3 in the middle that are just terrible (BN 4 and 5, Mega Man 5 and 6, X has...actually the majority of the X games, Zero has 4, Star Force has 2)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
First impressions are important. The first X title I played back then was X3. I was put off the X series for at least another 4 years.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
As much as I have thick rose-tinted goggles for MM2&3, I have to point out that MM4-6 are infinitely more polished and well-designed.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

quakster posted:

As much as I have thick rose-tinted goggles for MM2&3, I have to point out that MM4-6 are infinitely more polished and well-designed.

4 and 5 yes.

6?

HELL NO.

I just didn't like the levels at all in 6. That and not being able to cancel my slide was dumb. :colbert:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The 'problem' with Battle Network is that it gives the middle finger to a lot of traditional RPG mechanics and that neither it is a jump and shoot game. Anyone expecting either thing out of BN is going to be disappointed.

If you like strategy with some running and gunning though, then the gameplay is excellent and it is a shame there aren't more titles like it.

I cannot even begin to care about Star Force though.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ka0 posted:

First impressions are important. The first X title I played back then was X3. I was put off the X series for at least another 4 years.

What's wrong with X3, besides X's buster upgrade?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

TaurusOxford posted:

Maybe too much poo poo to collect. Did anybody actually care about all the armors, for one?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Legends
*Tron Bonne (with MvC style Gustaff and servbots)

Tron Bonne in labcoat+glasses costume. :colbert:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

Maybe too much poo poo to collect. Did anybody actually care about all the armors, for one?

Christ no. The multiple armor poo poo was the worst thing introduced in the X franchise, which is saying a lot. Armor sets fell into two categories: 1) Pointless or 2) The only thing you'll actually want.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The second game is the best in every MM series except X, where it's X1 (with X4 right on its heels).

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

TaurusOxford posted:

The music.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Except Gravity Beetle.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

And the Vile stage.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

The second game is the best in every MM series except X, where it's X1 (with X4 right on its heels).

Star Force. The 3rd one's the best.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Most of the bosses had extremely lazy animation and attack patterns too. I never liked it as much as X1 and X2.

But yeah the horrendous X-Buster was one of its worse features.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
X2 had the best intro stage music for sure.

edit: now with 100% more correct link

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Christ no. The multiple armor poo poo was the worst thing introduced in the X franchise, which is saying a lot. Armor sets fell into two categories: 1) Pointless or 2) The only thing you'll actually want.

I think X8 was the only game that did this well, since you could mix and match each piece of armor so it wasn't a huge issue.

The worst is...I forget, was X6 the one where you had to get all the components of an armor before you could use it? It's been ages so I don't remember.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Coughing Hobo posted:

X2 had the best intro stage music for sure.

edit: now with 100% more correct link

Personal favorite is X4's intro

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Srice posted:

I think X8 was the only game that did this well, since you could mix and match each piece of armor so it wasn't a huge issue.

The worst is...I forget, was X6 the one where you had to get all the components of an armor before you could use it? It's been ages so I don't remember.

X5 and X6 both. X6 actually kinda pulled it off, because both Shadow and Blade armours are REALLY BADASS. Omnidirectional long-range airdash after effectively unlimited hovering plus a charged shot that occasionally sticks around to drill the gently caress out of whatever it hit, or wall-sticking, superjumping, sticking to ceilings and flinging shurikens, immune to spikes and with an awesome saber slash for a charged shot.

E:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Personal favorite is X4's intro

You seem to have been playing the wrong character.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

X4 has my Seal of Approval for best series music overall. This opinion is cast in platinum-coated nickel and nothing anyone says will change it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It's pretty tough to top X1, though. None of the tracks are stinkers and it's all iconic stuff.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Star Force. The 3rd one's the best.

SF3 is actually a fantastic game. I hated how Starforce began, but the third game felt more fun than anything in Battle Network (the only Megaman series I actually enjoy playing).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

TaurusOxford posted:

Abysmal level design. Endless stretches of nothing happening, then one enemy with too much health that's nonetheless easy to avoid, obstacles that don't really do anything, Bit&Byte gave in every stage, slowing you down without reason for 6/8 of them, stuff like that. X3 is boring and unfun to play if you value gameplay flow at all.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I know it's been repeated but music has always been an essential part of MegaMan games. Most of the games have good, sometimes even really great themes etc.

X3? Felt way too samey with the guitar riffs. I feel X3 was more of what could've been but kinda fell flat on it's face. Especially the restrictions regarding Zero. Might as well not even play him.The buster felt weaker in that game honestly. Kaiser Sigma was challenging but just, the game itself I rarely play it out of all X games. Ok that is a lie. That goes to x7 but that's a given.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Gonna have to agree with MonsterEnvy there and say that X did have the superior intro theme in X4, sir. :colbert:

When it comes to X3, I don't like the music much and it isn't as fun as X1 or X2, but I have plenty fun playing that game despite that. I don't know what that says about my tastes in games though :v:

I will say that one area that X3 really failed in was enemy variety. They used way too many of those red flail robots and the missile launching ones you find in almost every stage.

AHungryRobot fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 7, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

AHungryRobot posted:

Gonna have to agree with MonsterEnvy there and say that X did have the superior intro theme in X4, sir. :colbert:

When it comes to X3, I don't like the music much and it isn't as fun as X1 or X2, but I have plenty fun playing that game despite that. I don't know what that says about my tastes in games though :v:

I will say that one area that X3 really failed in was enemy variety. They used way too many of those red flail robots and the missile launching ones you find in almost every stage.

I really liked X3 too, but it's been awhile.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

It was better than X6's failure of a soundtrack.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

X3 has lovely level design, lovely music, lovely bosses with lazy pattern and animation, stupid weapon capsules and items that you don't need and require lots of backtracking, and is just plain and simple the weakest game out of the first four. That said, I'd play X3 over X5-X8 any day of the week. I'm sure we all know, but X5, X6, and X7 are all loving atrocious games and X8 is merely mediocre.

Light Gun Man posted:

Tron Bonne in labcoat+glasses costume. :colbert:

MvC2 Tron Bonne or nothing!

quakster posted:

Mega Man 2 isn't NEARLY as great as people say it is. The game is FULL of bullshit, and the Metal Blade is broken as poo poo. MM3 and 4 are probably the best games in the series. I wouldn't say MM5 is as well designed as the weapons are super lovely in that one. MM6 has a lot of fun things to play around with, though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
MM2 is a good start for what's to come, but not that well-designed at all.

I like MM5 quite a lot. It's mostly two things: First, it's incredibly polished. Looks fantastic, great backgrounds, so much effort put into making it an enjoyable experience; everything flows really well, a breeze to play through, low on instant kill (I hate that), from start to finish a fun romp without too many hang-ups. Second, I really enjoy playing around with the weapons. They're pretty bad in comparison, but taken at face value, they're really worth using on their own, notable exceptions being Power Stone (one of the worst ever) and Water Wave (if only it had more energy and could be used in the air...like Ice Wave or whatever from MM8!). MM5 is great and just fun.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Power Stone would be good if the stones rotated about ten times faster as they moved away from. That way they would actually be able to hit something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I look at this way. 1 is for the magic that happen. Of course there is alot of rookie level designs mistakes so you don't have to play it. 2 is basically if you want to break the game in half and destroy everything. I like 3, but gently caress those goddamn Doc Robots. Hitbox bullshit!

4 for introducing the Mega Buster (charging) and 5 for making it more OP. Six sucked. I won't hear anything about it. 7 is actually drat good if you can get over the huge size pixels. Only problem with it is Final Wily. I want to kick the designer/Infaune for making that Wily stupid hard. 8 is meh because of how simple it is and not that fun. 9 for the return of the classics, it is probably harder than all the other MM games. 10 is polished but it's either you love/hate it.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 7, 2013