Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OneTrueBru posted:

Just started gloss varnishing my oath for this month, noticed a tiny, tiny piece of cat floof was sitting on the surface of the still-wet varnish on his arm and pulled it out...

Welp, there goes several layers of paint. :suicide:

I should be able to repair the damage (mostly, it's still gonna be noticeable), but it's really loving irritating to gently caress up so close to completion.

Yeah, I picked up some varnish the other day and like an rear end in a top hat didn't test it out. Now three of my Dark Reapers are all frosty (and five Rangers but they're on snow bases and white/grey so it actually turned out alright)... extremely distressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

Boon posted:

Yeah, I picked up some varnish the other day and like an rear end in a top hat didn't test it out. Now three of my Dark Reapers are all frosty (and five Rangers but they're on snow bases and white/grey so it actually turned out alright)... extremely distressing.

Often, the "frosty varnish" syndrome is a result of humidity, or the temperature when you spray varnished. The one time it happened to me (I was in Austin, TX, in the summer), I wept, gnashed my teeth, pulled my hair, and re-varnished on a better day. It worked a treat. Worth a try, I think - besides, what's the worst that could happen? :angel:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

BuffaloChicken posted:

Just going to be a Mantic Forgefather Iron Ancestor with some Warhammer/40k bits. Put it on a GW base and it's just about exactly Dreadnought height.

drat, that is a fine model. The proportions and implied articulation on the legs are far better than the Dreadnaught, too.

The idea that sales are being diverted from Games Workshop to a splinter company in no way affects my feelings.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Boon posted:

Yuu can re-spray with gloss varnish which should sort it and then use a matt layer again and it should be fine.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

OB_Juan posted:

Has anyone tried the GW texture paints?

No, but Vallejo has a "Black lava" texture paint which is A LOT cheaper and you can paint it whatever you like after its dry.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
So I was trawling around spikeybits out of sheer boredom, and came across this conversion for a Heldrake. He points out how to make tentacles/cables on the cheap: using a comb!

I don't know why I didn't think of doing this before. I'm going to try it out tonight or tomorrow, but I imagine you can get some different shapes using different-sized combs. Maybe try it out like in the videos for the tube tools this guy sells.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Not a viking posted:

No, but Vallejo has a "Black lava" texture paint which is A LOT cheaper and you can paint it whatever you like after its dry.

They make a shitload of pastes with varying coarseness. I mix and match.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
This is genius.

Slimnoid posted:

So I was trawling around spikeybits out of sheer boredom, and came across this conversion for a Heldrake. He points out how to make tentacles/cables on the cheap: using a comb!

I don't know why I didn't think of doing this before. I'm going to try it out tonight or tomorrow, but I imagine you can get some different shapes using different-sized combs. Maybe try it out like in the videos for the tube tools this guy sells.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He's got the "wings" coming out of the abdomen, I just... I didn't even count if it had the right number of legs.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Hadn't even looked at the conversion, I just like the comb for making tentacles.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

moths posted:

He's got the "wings" coming out of the abdomen, I just... I didn't even count if it had the right number of legs.

It's chaos, it isn't supposed to make sense!

That poo poo is rad btw.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

moths posted:

I think the giant fans are his rear legs and not wings. If you count he has 6 other legs and the jet pack fans come out of where his other two legs could.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Slimnoid posted:

Dammit and after I just spent 30 euros getting those exact tube tools...

That is a really cool conversion though. It gave me an idea on how to make fan nacelles for mine!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

So simple and so awesome.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

And she is done!

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Is that one solid piece? It looks good but I hope for your sake you already figured out storage and transportation. I would also maybe try sprinkling flock on the areas around the edges between the grassy areas and the dirt areas so there is not such a stark contrast between the edges (this could just be the photo and the left side of the boards looks like this has been done)

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Saalkin posted:

And she is done!

Where are the side table shelves for rulebooks and dice. Or, more importantly, where are the beer holders?

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Post 9-11 User posted:

Where are the side table shelves for rulebooks and dice. Or, more importantly, where are the beer holders?

Real men move 80+ orks with one hand, while holding a beer with the other.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Real men move 80+ orks with one hand, while holding a beer with the other.

In related news, anyone have any good suggestions for beer-holding terrain, other than craters?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Signal posted:

In related news, anyone have any good suggestions for beer-holding terrain, other than craters?

It's like there's no such thing as a question that cannot be answered by BuffaloChicken.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Maybe a refinery? Paint up beer cozy to as on of the storage tanks, that or a volcano.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Signal posted:

Counter suggestion- beer cans and bottles make excellent terrain.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Sure, but they get moved a lot when they aren't yet empty.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Signal posted:

Sure, but they get moved a lot when they aren't yet empty.

Mysterious terrain! :tipshat:

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Ruined tower with no top, open missile silo, ruined grain silo, water tower, you get the idea.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I should put a keg in that room too.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Boop boop boop. Sculpting update:

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I broke down and built a lightbox!

And here's a pic of a Black Ivan I painted a while ago!

Took me about 2 hours to collect materials, and about $40 in materials ($30 lamp, $7 cloth, $2.50 lightbulb)

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

counterspin posted:

I broke down and built a lightbox!

And here's a pic of a Black Ivan I painted a while ago!

Took me about 2 hours to collect materials, and about $40 in materials ($30 lamp, $7 cloth, $2.50 lightbulb)

Hmmm... How does that work? The paper on top diffuses the light?

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

The stuff covering the windows is white muslin fabric, actually. And yes, the basic principle is that the muslin defuses the light. I used the guide here. http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Right now you're getting a lot of dark shadows because while diffuse, your light is coming from straight above. If you can find a second light, and put them on the sides of your box, I think your photos will turn out even better. If you want to stick with 1 light, move it so it's shining through the top from the front of the box, instead of the back. Just because it's diffusing through the muslin doesn't mean it loses the direction it's coming from.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Thanks for the advice Booley! And I guess I will look into getting a second lamp.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just pick up a lamp from a yard sale or Freecycle or something, there's no need to get anything special as far as the lamp goes. It's the bulb you want to spend the money on: daylight CFL FTW

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I keep getting little gritty bits in my paint mixes. It's not my brushes or my water - I've cleaned those both very thoroughly. I can't work out what's causing it. Paints are smooth, diluents at smooth.

Not my pyre pheonix has splotty, bitty paint on it that I can't disguise. Anyone got any ideas what it is?

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

This pics were taken with an additional light. Improvement?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I think you need to adjust your white balance.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Good point. Better?

Aix Athanatos
Nov 3, 2011

counterspin posted:

Good point. Better?

Much better, but the closer/farther parts of the model are out of focus. If you move the camera farther away and use its zoom, it'll be awesome.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Alrighty then. Thanks for all the advice folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Anybody got an idea for the color of plague monk robes? The rest of my army is Red/Yellow with pink or purple fur and I want something that goes with that general theme.

• Locked thread