Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

GreenNight posted:

Wait, what? Are they gonna bleep out swears and boobs?

Sounds like it. They'll probably cover the nudity like Joel did in the opening credits of City Limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
IIRC they only say 'gently caress' once in "Starship Troopers" and its at the very end. The nudity will be a problem if they want to keep it 'clean' (in quotes because the movie has a ton of people getting decapitated, ripped limb-from-limb, impaled, and shot in gory fashion).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's pretty bullshit, but I understand it. Doesn't mean I like it :argh:

Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*
Is the Belcourt sold out? I know the backers got dibs on tickets.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So now not only are they not showing Twilight, but they're neutering certain scenes in the movie they decided to do instead in order to keep it family friendly? :ughh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So now not only are they not showing Twilight, but they're neutering certain scenes in the movie they decided to do instead in order to keep it family friendly?

It's really not a big deal, there are like three total seconds of boobs in the entire movie (I just rewatched it a couple days ago).

Though I can't really figure out how they're going to make it any funnier, because it's already one of the funniest movies I've ever seen (and also one of the best).

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Wait, what? Are they gonna bleep out swears and boobs?
They might do something like MST3K where they pull out an umbrella or something to cover the naughty bits.

Edit: Whoops didn't see new page.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Cinematic Titanic already did the best and most hilarious nudity censoring ever with "the breast blimp", so Rifftrax better seriously raise the bar.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

So now not only are they not showing Twilight, but they're neutering certain scenes in the movie they decided to do instead in order to keep it family friendly? :ughh:

Oh No my nudity that I can easily get anywhere on the internet literally by looking up almost anything ever and nothing at all is stopping me from watching the unrated version of the movie on my own if this actually did some how bother me! HOW CAN I GO ON WITHOUT MY NUDITY!

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

No, not the best scenes from my friends bootleg copy!
:qqsay:

Seriously, I sorta understand but it's pretty funny seeing you yell this much.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LP97S posted:

No, not the best scenes from my friends bootleg copy!
:qqsay:

Seriously, I sorta understand but it's pretty funny seeing you yell this much.

He's fallen off the wagon with his rageaholism :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Haha, I mean I'll still go see it. I just meant that they raised tons of money and they keep getting further and further away from what people donated that money for. It's RiffTrax though, so I'm sure it'll be fun anyway.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

The first two lines of the loving post posted:

Some of you have asked (and many we're sure are just understandably curious) if we're doing an edited version of Starship Troopers. We are not.

Later on in the same post posted:

We believe the three of us up there adding our commentary undercuts the impact of the material quite a bit. But we will also take special care to comedically mute those few moments that earns it its R, and creatively make it as PG-13 as possible.
Comedically mute. Meaning (IMO) they'll be trying to make jokes that draw attention away from the boobies and gore and vagina monster. Sounds to me like you can still stroke one out during the show if that's how you choose to roll.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They should release the 2nd and 3rd movie after the live event.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Xylorjax posted:

Comedically mute. Meaning (IMO) they'll be trying to make jokes that draw attention away from the boobies and gore and vagina monster.

That's how I read it.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Haha, I mean I'll still go see it. I just meant that they raised tons of money and they keep getting further and further away from what people donated that money for. It's RiffTrax though, so I'm sure it'll be fun anyway.
It's not like they didn't make it super clear that they might not get Twilight in the first place. It's a shame they didn't, but also not a surprise.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm really bummed about Super Mario Bros.

Every other movie they could do as a regular mp3 riff no problem because the DVD's and blurays are readily available.

SMB could only be done as a live show or VOD because the DVD is long out of print and there's no way enough people would hunt it down on eBay to watch it.

In short, drat you Disney.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Kojiro posted:

It's not like they didn't make it super clear that they might not get Twilight in the first place. It's a shame they didn't, but also not a surprise.

What's confusing to me is that didn't they say that if they didn't get Twilight, they'd start working their way down their list of Worst Movies of All Time?

Because Starship Troopers isn't even on that list.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
What I assumed was "comedically mute" meant they'd talk over it like they did for The Room. If they take away Dina Meyer's naked I will rage!

Back to something less desperate, I just watched the SF Sketchfest Shorts and it was great even for someone who had seen some of the shorts. What I will say is don't splurge for the HD version because there's nothing HD about this. It's all low light high ISO footage mixed with 1960s shorts so don't waste the $2 you could spend buying Buffalo Rider.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Starship Troopers 2 and 3 are so goddamn stupid, they're perfect for these guys. I hope they do them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

What's confusing to me is that didn't they say that if they didn't get Twilight, they'd start working their way down their list of Worst Movies of All Time?

Also, seriously, how is I Know Who Killed Me not on that list? I would give so much money to a kickstarter toward riffing that movie, it's the right mix of absurdity and incompetence that's practically made for it. Everyone should see it exactly once.

As evidence for my case, I present this episode of How Did This Get Made that a goon pointed me toward a few weeks back.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 6, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I gave up long ago on trying to explain to people why Starship Troopers is almost literally a perfect film (for what it set out to accomplish). There seems to just be this big divide between people who "get it" and people who insist there was nothing to "get".

Looking at that list, I can't believe I haven't gotten the Wicker Man riff (because I didn't know it existed), and I'm really surprised they haven't done Catwoman yet.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

precision posted:

Starship Troopers 2 and 3 are so goddamn stupid, they're perfect for these guys. I hope they do them.
I was lucky enough to see a presentation recently by Phil Tippett, who did the arachnids in "Starship Troopers" (as well as ED-209 in "Robocop", and the stop motion effects in the original "Star Wars" trilogy). He showed the prerequisite reel of his work, and when it got to "Starship Troopers 2", which he directed, he went on a very funny shpiel about how the movie came to be. "Starship Troopers" was not nearly the hit Sony wanted it to be theatrically, but it became one of their biggest titles on DVD. Someone at Sony greenlit the super-low budget (IIRC about $3 million) straight-to-DVD "Starship Troopers 2" and since Tippett didn't have major projects lined up, and had some name recognition since he worked on the original, Sony offered him the director's chair. Needless to say, he's not proud of the results, and even though the scattered visuals he picked from the movie looked good enough on their own, he said something very telling, "Notice that there's just music on these clips and no dialogue."

The little I've seen of the third movie looks as if its trying and failing to replicate the original's satire.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

It's not on there probably because StarShip Troopers is an absolutely loving excellent film what the hell is wrong with you?

StarShip Troopers 2 was terrible and StarShip Troopers 3 has maybe two good laughs but ultimately fails at delivering the same fantastic satirical comedy the first does so drat well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I first saw Starship Troopers in the theater as a random "me and my buddy are high, it's noon, there's gently caress-all to do so let's go see a movie". It was fantastic.

Days like those are also what resulted in me seeing Batman and Robin and Good Will Hunting, probably the two worst films I've seen in the theater. I think Independence Day happened because of that too, but that movie was alright.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I gave up long ago on trying to explain to people why Starship Troopers is almost literally a perfect film (for what it set out to accomplish). There seems to just be this big divide between people who "get it" and people who insist there was nothing to "get".

Looking at that list, I can't believe I haven't gotten the Wicker Man riff (because I didn't know it existed), and I'm really surprised they haven't done Catwoman yet.

If they were to do Catwoman I'd hope Mary Jo comes in for it like she did for Glitter.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I'm running out of riff's I'm interested in, and am dangerously close to watching 3 The Fast and The Furious movies just so I can watch their riff of the 4th one without being behind on the movie they're riffing.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The F&F movies have nothing to do with each other except Michelle Rodriguez died in either 2 or 3 and came back in 5 or 6, because she was "undercover" for some crime thing, when in actuality she had other movie scripts at the time.

Other than that they have no common plot thread at all.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The F&F movies have nothing to do with each other except Michelle Rodriguez died in either 2 or 3 and came back in 5 or 6, because she was "undercover" for some crime thing, when in actuality she had other movie scripts at the time.

Other than that they have no common plot thread at all.

It's more the possibly not getting jokes that assume some small knowledge of the previous movies, as is often the case in many of there other riffs of late number movies in a series. (usually they did also riff the earlier ones with those though).

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Good news: you won't miss anything. Fast & Furious movies are not known for their plots.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Goddamn, working on an iRiff of a science short I found. poo poo's hard to write sometimes!

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Walked around at work today and mainly sang to myself "Ice Cream Bunny, that Ice Cream Bunny, he's made of ice cream...and he's a bunny!"

I was going to fly up north in September to go watch Metallica: Through The Never in IMAX 3D, but I can only afford one trip and I'm thinking I'll go watch the riff of Starship Troopers instead. Especially since I don't know if/when I'll be able to watch it if I don't.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
:siren: New VOD out today! :siren:
It's a 1991 bit of sci-fi garbage known as Firehead.

Rifftrax posted:

You know you’re in for a treat when we were considering starting this description, “When an Estonian cyborg defects to America...”

This Estonian cyborg, as you’ve come to expect from Estonian cyborgs by this point in time, is the ultimate killing machine. Played by The Actor You Get When Reb Brown is Making Something Even Crappier, he possesses the devastating ability to shoot lasers out of his eyes! For this reason he is called LaserEyes. Er, The Blinkinator. Maybe Cyclops from X-Men. No, it was Firehead! He’s called Firehead, since he can shoot fire lasers from his head eyes.

Who’s the most suitable man to track down Firehead and ensure that he doesn’t go on a rampage? Did you say Chris Lemmon, son of screen legend Jack? Of course you didn't. Did you know he existed? Well, have you ever seen someone really commit themselves to a terrible Jack Lemmon impression? Right, of course you haven’t. But take our word for it, Chris makes a strong case that the true villain of this movie is Hollywood Nepotism.

Actually, the real villain is a shadowy organization known as The Upper Order, which plots the beginning of World War III from a rented conference room at the airport Ramada. They are led by another legend, Oscar winner Christopher Plummer, who was having so much fun that he brought along fellow Oscar winner Martin Landau. Rumor has it they almost convinced Orson Welles to come along too, but he wanted to spend his twilight years pursuing dignified, artistHAHA! We almost made it through that sentence!

Join Mike, Kevin and Bill, all Estonian defectors themselves, as they riff LaserEy Firehead!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Why did I read "Martin Landau" as Walter Matthau?

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice
Looking forward to Firehead since these types of films are the ones I love to see riffed on VOD.

jedibeavis
Mar 23, 2004

Bag 'em & tag 'em, Sarah!

Excuse me, Agent Walker.
I'm two minutes into Firehead and I just saw the name David Winters (Space Mutiny) in the credits, so I know we're in good hands here.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

jedibeavis posted:

I'm two minutes into Firehead and I just saw the name David Winters (Space Mutiny) in the credits, so I know we're in good hands here.

And completely botched by David Winters.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
That movie was clean, baby, clean as a wolf's tooth.

The credits song is amazing. THROUGH THEIR DREAMS HE CALLS, THROUGH THEIR DREAMS HE'LL END THEM ALL!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I remember seeing Firehead on a terrible sci fi collection with Future Force and Future Zone, so I am hoping that might be a sign they made a deal with a distributor and we'll see The Cyberstalking and the other stuff on that collection soon. Amusingly enough, I think Space Mutiny was on that set as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Haven't finished it yet but holy poo poo this piece of poo poo makes Laser Mission look like Die Hard.

• Locked thread