Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.
I've never played The World Ends With You, but I really want to! I have both a Nintendo DS and an iPhone 4, which version would be better to get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Happy Happyist posted:

I've never played The World Ends With You, but I really want to! I have both a Nintendo DS and an iPhone 4, which version would be better to get?

If you are pretty drat good at multitasking and like a challenge, maybe go for the DS one.
Otherwise the iOS version is improved in every way (better graphics, music).

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Play it on the DS with headphones. It's still the best way to play TWEWY.

ThreeStone
Jul 26, 2011
Hey gents, I led development on an iOS and Android game that came out today, Color Zen. It's a casual/relaxing puzzle game with nice ambient music. There's a review here with pictures : http://appadvice.com/review/quickadvice-color-zen . It's 99 cents for the game and we're planning to release a mix of paid and free new level packs if the game does well. Our team would love to hear any feedback you guys have if you get a chance to check it out, it's gotten a lot of love in the office so we're feeling optimistic about the release.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Is it worth trying to get Black Knight on Ramza in FFT? Or is it just a thankless grind for diehards and not good for a first run?

Is there a best way to do it?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Apocron posted:

Is it worth trying to get Black Knight on Ramza in FFT? Or is it just a thankless grind for diehards and not good for a first run?

It's powerful but redundant. There are easier ways to become godlike in FFT.
Only bother if you're a completionist.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
You are more likely to accidentally make Ramza a god before you even unlock that job.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Apocron posted:

On your first playthrough, no. Ramza will be a beast regardless. Make note of the fact that his base class gets better as the chapters go on. By chapter 4, it gets ridiculous self-buffing abilities and can equip some of the best equipment, including Knight Swords, both light and heavy armor, and hats. (Light armor and hats give worse stats than heavy armor, but usually come with great stat boosts in exchange.) Put him in his base class, give him Two Swords from the Ninja class, and no matter what else you choose, he'll be a wrecking ball. If you give him 2 rune blades, he'll even be able to sling spells as a secondary.

That said, some advice on Dark Knight. Mastering Black Mage is probably the worst part of it; getting 20 dudes to decay from Ramza really isn't too bad. He'll get a lot of kills throughout the game, and if you have a chance to stall the last kill of the battle, it's worth it1. To speed up mastering Black Mage, have another character, also a black mage, come into battle with Ramza. They'll both get a little bonus JP when the other does an action2. Have that character skip most spells to concentrate on level 4 spells (-aja, I think). These (and a few other spells, most expensive but useless) can be learned "Blue Mage Style". If you're in a class that can learn the spell, and it's cast on you, you have a chance to learn it. Once your other guy learns Firaja, have him cast it on Ramza, over and over, until you get the message3 that Ramza learned it.

I wouldn't do it, though. If you're training Ramza as a warrior, just give him Two Swords. It's a ridiculous enough ability on its own. Save the grinding for another playthrough or the post-game, if you want to do it. Don't grind too much and the story battles will be more fulfilling.

[1] When your guys step on a crystal, it brings up a list of abilities. The cursor is only there so you can hit the "Help" button to see what an ability does. You inherit all of them on the list. It's incredibly worth stalling a battle for. If you do want one of your characters to be a Dark Knight, feed him all the Black Mage and Knight crystals you can. (None of the other classes benefit from this; you'll gain the ability, but it doesn't boost your JP. You still need the 3000 JP to master the other classes.)

[2] In fact, whenever a guy earns JP, your other units in the battle gains a sliver of that class's JP for themselves. If you're like me, you'll eventually see units with like 500+ Ninja JP without ever setting foot into the class.

[3] If you turned off battle messages in Settings, the camera will jump over to a highlighted Ramza for a split second if he learns the spell. If you're not paying attention, you can miss it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Apocron posted:

I picked it up in Chapter 2 but I was in the high 30s by then due to all the grinding. It's not needed at all to become powerful but the class is pretty beastly.

If you've invited the right type of monsters and then had them breed the correct variant you can get a Defender as soon as the fur shop becomes available but you need the rare poach from it so I'd wait until the shop's available because you'll need to save/reload a few times most likely. The Defender can last you forever really, but replacing it with something like Save the Queen or Excalibur works if you aren't using a character that would benefit those swords more (I'm running Ramza and generics because math skill is completely game breaking).

e:

PFlats posted:

That said, some advice on Dark Knight. Mastering Black Mage is probably the worst part of it; getting 20 dudes to decay from Ramza really isn't too bad. He'll get a lot of kills throughout the game, and if you have a chance to stall the last kill of the battle, it's worth it1. To speed up mastering Black Mage, have another character, also a black mage, come into battle with Ramza. They'll both get a little bonus JP when the other does an action2. Have that character skip most spells to concentrate on level 4 spells (-aja, I think). These (and a few other spells, most expensive but useless) can be learned "Blue Mage Style". If you're in a class that can learn the spell, and it's cast on you, you have a chance to learn it. Once your other guy learns Firaja, have him cast it on Ramza, over and over, until you get the message3 that Ramza learned it.

Spamming your speed buff from the Guts/Mettle skill set is pretty much the best way to level ramza in general because you'll eventually be acting 10x more than anyone else thanks to your 50+ speed. Throw in an occasional haste for extra absurdity. I've never had a character learn a spell by having it cast on them though*.

*Ultima and Zodiac excluded.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 7, 2013

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

clams posted:

In the same vein, it took me several games to realize that you don't have to run to the quests in your home area. You can just stay in map mode, zoom out and tap the one you're interested in.

It took me several games to figure out that you COULD run around in your home area. I thought it was really weird you could only run around in the adventure areas.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Can anyone give the swords and glory people money? I can't buy any glory points ( don't need any but I'm trying to support the team).

Edit: I found it. The buy glory buttons are invisible on my ipad. Press under the "when" will let you buy 800 points for $3.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 7, 2013

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
How is the Sid Mier's Pirates port for iOS ? I had it for the PSP years ago and it was a great time waster.

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

How is the Sid Mier's Pirates port for iOS ? I had it for the PSP years ago and it was a great time waster.

Just as good as it ever was, really.

In sword and glory news, hunter and farmer as well as craftsman unlock building upgrades (hunter unlocks better +dom, farmer unlocks better +def, and craftsman unlocks +dam).

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004
Oh man, Kingdom Rush: Frontiers rules. I know levels have interactive stuff but I thought it was limited to simple interactions like clicking an animal until it explodes or whatever. However, I just beat Temple of Saqra and there is a correct sequence to the three tiles on the right side of the cave where the mobs spawn. When you get it right it opens a hole for the Indiana Jones dude to jump down and when he runs away from the boulder it crushes all of the eggs, getting rid of the parasyte spawn point. I thought it was a really cool touch and I'm really hoping to find more like it throughout the game.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I must be missing something with Sword and Glory. I created my character and battled the first guy, spoke to my brother and then walked around the whole village at a painfully slow pace, hitting invisible barriers and not finding anything else to do...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

psylent posted:

I must be missing something with Sword and Glory. I created my character and battled the first guy, spoke to my brother and then walked around the whole village at a painfully slow pace, hitting invisible barriers and not finding anything else to do...

Tap on text labels to get in fights. More open up after you win a few.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

psylent posted:

Keep talking to your brother, explore the conversation options. That should trigger an event that will open more quests.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bummey posted:

Play it on the DS with headphones. It's still the best way to play TWEWY.

Just so you know, Bummey knows his poo poo, but this isn't a consensus or anything. I personally played it on the DS and on my iPhone 4S and I enjoyed it more on the latter -- someone else is gonna have to tell you how it runs on the 4, though.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
God drat Pflats whips out the foot notes.

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

They removed the best minigame and replaced it with a really terrible cannon shooting gallery garbage awful thing.

Other than that. Yeah, it's mostly the same game.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

More swords and glory stuff. Fisherman, hunter, and farmer all let you make more buildings. They are more useful than the craftsmanship buildings but they give stats other than damage.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I really wanted to like it because I enjoyed the Xbox version but I found the controls to be too much trouble.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Happy Happyist posted:

I think you might get a bit more screen space on the DS, especially if it's one of the bigger versions but I think the iOS version plays better with regards to how the partner mechanic works, I have the iPad version (iPad 2) and reckon that is better playing on the DSi XL.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
drat it, you got me addicted to Sword & Glory and now I seem to have broken it.

I got a Clanless farther than I ever had gotten before -- beat the Silver in the Dark mission, cleared Thickwood, wrecked poo poo in town, so I decided to try the Ruined Village and something broke.

All the menus work -- I can go back to the Title screen and return, change Options, view my perks and equipment and such, view what looks like a normal minimap, but the rest is all blank white; I can't do anything.

Anyone else encountered this?

clams
Apr 10, 2007

rawr.
that happened to me right after i beat the end guy from Silver in the Dark and traveled too. just close the application entirely and reopen it. it will remember your progress.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Bummey posted:

God drat Pflats whips out the foot notes.

I had way too many parentheticals that distracted from the flow of my treatise on Dark Knights, so footnotes were the only logical option.
:goonsay:

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.

psylent posted:

Important tip - that lower right icon? That switches you between walking around and map view. On your homestead, you can just (from map view) click on adventures to start them. In regions - Thickwood, etc. - you're going to have to walk. Hold down your finger near the edge of the screen to walk faster.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Thanks to everyone for the advice and PFlats for the detail!

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've never had a character learn a spell by having it cast on them though.
Off the top of my head, you can learn the level 4 elemental spells (fire, blizzard, lightning), the level 2 protect, shell, haste, and slow, and most of the high-level summons. I've never learned anything (other than Ultima) from an enemy, though. It's rare enough for an enemy to have any of the spells you can learn, let alone have them target a unit in the right class who hasn't learned it yet and also hit the 20% or so chance to learn it.

I tried to learn Zodiac once, but my summoner missed the chance on his first try, and I forgot to bring a way to restore MP (I was using MP Switch to survive, naturally). Whoops. I'm going to try again this playthrough.

Apocron posted:

Thanks to everyone for the advice and PFlats for the detail!
My pleasure. Everyone needs a hobby, and I guess I've found mine.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

sizuka2 posted:

Important tip - that lower right icon? That switches you between walking around and map view. On your homestead, you can just (from map view) click on adventures to start them. In regions - Thickwood, etc. - you're going to have to walk. Hold down your finger near the edge of the screen to walk faster.
Thanks for this and to the other people who helped. I thought the brother was just full of tutorial stuff so I skipped past him :)

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Is the chemist supposed to be 100% reliable? I keep using potion and having nothing happen. Can you target empty squares or something? I'm pretty sure I can see the portraits though. Does there have to be direct line of sight even if they're in range in the red grid?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Apocron posted:

Is the chemist supposed to be 100% reliable? I keep using potion and having nothing happen. Can you target empty squares or something? I'm pretty sure I can see the portraits though. Does there have to be direct line of sight even if they're in range in the red grid?
I'm pretty sure it's a line of sight with no obstructions thing.

silloh
Sep 5, 2008

Apocron posted:

Something like a direct line of sight, yeah. Elevation and obstacles come into play with something like this. Items are 100% reliable as long as the Chemist is able to successfully throw the item to the target. Let the % chance icon be your guide. When you target someone (either ally or opponent), before you confirm the command there will be a percentage indicator above their name. It'll say something like "-12 HP, 56%). If your Chemist has 0%, something is blocking it from successfully throwing the item.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

porktree posted:

Anyone tried out 9th Dawn - it looks like it could be good. But I'm so mired in Warhammer and Sword & Glory and Dead Ahead that I don't have time to play it.

I'm interested in people's experience with this game as well, from gameplay videos it's hard to tell if it's good or not (besides that the graphics could use some work.)

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Thanks, that was irritating!

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Scurvy Scallywags is a really fun match-3. I like the multi-directional sliding of the board that happens. It's got a pretty neat style to it as well.

chanza
Apr 25, 2010

Voodoo posted:

Scurvy Scallywags is a really fun match-3. I like the multi-directional sliding of the board that happens. It's got a pretty neat style to it as well.

Agreed, the styling of it is really winning me over, especially the music.

I've just hit the second set of islands (with the scorpion man enemies), and the difficulty is definitely ramping up. The special abilities are actually becoming necessary to survive the levels.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

PFlats posted:

Off the top of my head, you can learn the level 4 elemental spells (fire, blizzard, lightning), the level 2 protect, shell, haste, and slow, and most of the high-level summons. I've never learned anything (other than Ultima) from an enemy, though. It's rare enough for an enemy to have any of the spells you can learn, let alone have them target a unit in the right class who hasn't learned it yet and also hit the 20% or so chance to learn it.

I tried to learn Zodiac once, but my summoner missed the chance on his first try, and I forgot to bring a way to restore MP (I was using MP Switch to survive, naturally). Whoops. I'm going to try again this playthrough.

My pleasure. Everyone needs a hobby, and I guess I've found mine.
Zodiac is worth learning if you're a completionist, but it's definitely one of those "just makes you into even more of a god" abilities.

FFT is a game I had fun digging into as a teenager, but as an adult, I could never see myself spending the time it took for some of that stuff. Cloud (and levelling him up to be useful) and Zodiac stick out as two "god why did I do that"'s in particular. Calculators were also stupidly time intensive, if you wanted them as powerful as they theoretically could be.

For less time-intensive fun game breaking, the monk/ninja stuff is probably a better choice, for anyone picking it up fresh.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
Hey guys. I just posted a thread about my friends puzzle game for iOS/Android. It's called NonoCube and you can read about it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553467

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I've been playing Warhammer Quest for couple of days and I'm already bored of it. Game's just way too repetitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Heavy Armor Monk or Ninja Monk or double fist monk are all just ways to hilarious break tje game and make ramza a god. Monk + ninja are the only two classes Ramza ever need spend time in.

• Locked thread