Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Awakening's definitely a good choice for lasting 3 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Thanks for the DS recommendations guys. In this first wave I am picking up Radiant Historia, Order of Ecclesia, TWEWY, Ghost Trick and Dragon Quest 9.

I haven't played a pokemon game since red/blue but I might give the new x/y a shot when they come out. I did really like it when I was a kid although I hear now it's all sorts of crazy with different personalities and varieties and poo poo.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Chaltab posted:

I'm going out of the country for three weeks in three weeks; what would be a good 3DS game to take with me? I'm leaning towards Awakening because it's supposed to have a solid amount of content (on top of being really good).

If you can only take one, take Awakening. That game can easily last you months if you're really into it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Awesome! posted:

Thanks for the DS recommendations guys. In this first wave I am picking up Radiant Historia, Order of Ecclesia, TWEWY, Ghost Trick and Dragon Quest 9.

I haven't played a pokemon game since red/blue but I might give the new x/y a shot when they come out. I did really like it when I was a kid although I hear now it's all sorts of crazy with different personalities and varieties and poo poo.

Pokemon has all that new crazy stuff, but you can still play and enjoy it while ignoring all of that. That's the magic of Pokemon, it allows you to sperg a little, or sperg a shitload.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Pokemon has all that new crazy stuff, but you can still play and enjoy it while ignoring all of that. That's the magic of Pokemon, it allows you to sperg a little, or sperg a shitload.

Some of us don't sperg at all* and just use the starter to beat the game. Thanks HG/SS for proving to me why Typhlosion is the greatest pokemon of all time.

*I ended up level 100 when I beat the game and it required a lot of healing items.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah in White I just took 6 Pokemon I liked, levelled them as usual and steamrollered the Elite Four with them. You only need to know the insane spergy stuff if you plan on battling online.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Barudak posted:

Some of us don't sperg at all* and just use the starter to beat the game. Thanks HG/SS for proving to me why Typhlosion is the greatest pokemon of all time.

*I ended up level 100 when I beat the game and it required a lot of healing items.

:lol:

GOTTA CATCH EM ALL*

*not really

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

njsykora posted:

Yeah in White I just took 6 Pokemon I liked, levelled them as usual and steamrollered the Elite Four with them. You only need to know the insane spergy stuff if you plan on battling online.
I tried that with the Elite Four in Pearl and got torn apart. I had to spend a while grinding effort values on my Raichu.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

All I want from Pokemon X/Y is moves like cut/surf/strength etc handled in a way that doesn't suck. You either have to have a useless HM slave like bidoof to give the moves to, or you have to spread all those terrible moves between your main Pokemon. I wish they would just assign those moves to items. Replace surf with a surfboard, cut with hedgeclippers or something.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

KimT posted:

All I want from Pokemon X/Y is moves like cut/surf/strength etc handled in a way that doesn't suck. You either have to have a useless HM slave like bidoof to give the moves to, or you have to spread all those terrible moves between your main Pokemon. I wish they would just assign those moves to items. Replace surf with a surfboard, cut with hedgeclippers or something.
Or just make them passive abilities. If it makes sense for a Pokemon to have that ability, just let them do it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The first two special worlds of Mario 3D Land which were pretty fun. But the third world... That's just a lives eating world.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

This is exactly how Super Robot Wars plays, complete with random characters in nonsensical situations and tons of anime dialogue; except Super Robot Wars auto resolves damage, like Advance Wars or Fire Emblem, you just see a really pimp animation of the gundams fighting with no control over it. (Again, think Advance Wars) You get to pick from several different attacks, and they all have a really sweet ultimate attack just like in Project Crossu Zone where it uses actual animation of those characters and not just sprites, but you just select them from a list like Final Fantasy Tactics, there's no real time button mashing action. That's new to Crossu Zone as far as I know. (And a pretty cool idea)

The button-mashing battle system from Project X Zone is actually kind of cribbed/modified from SRW OG Saga: Endless Frontier, which was also by Monolith. The better sequel never got a translation, though. :(

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Upgraded from the stock 4GB card to a SanDisk 32GB (Class 10). System startup seems to have slowed down considerably, but from what I've seen loading games isn't any slower. Is this normal?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

BKPR posted:

Upgraded from the stock 4GB card to a SanDisk 32GB (Class 10). System startup seems to have slowed down considerably, but from what I've seen loading games isn't any slower. Is this normal?

I just upped mine from a 4gb to a SanDisk 32gb as well (class 4) with no ill effects. However I did lose a load of save data because apparently combining 2 SD card's content isn't possible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Awesome! posted:

I'm telling you, if you wanna play pokemon, get Heart Gold / Soul Silver. Its a remake of Gold/Silver which are the games that came out directly after Red/Blue, so it feels very much like Red/Blue in style and design and has many of the original pokemon.

Black/White have almost 0 of the original 151 pokemon anywhere to be captured. Its entirely new, stupid pokemon with awful, awful designs that I loathe. The new graphics in Black/White are nice, but HeartGold/SoulSilver is just 1 generation behind, still looks very modern and has a great design, but with more of the old school sensibilities.

X and Y look good so far, but I really don't like Black & White.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Zaphod42 posted:

Its entirely new, stupid pokemon with awful, awful designs that I loathe.

Your opinion is only held by a minority, just in case other people here get the wrong idea. BW2 is the game of choice for anyone coming back to Pokémon.

As these things usually go, Game Freak is probably going to screw up with X/Y and only fix the issues with Z. Might as well pick the safe choice and go with the last of the DS games. Between PokéHollywood, the challenge tower/tree, the PWT tournaments, musicals, 300 mons on that region's pokedex (and 650 in total), and a million of other things, it's going to last you a minimum of 200 hours if not more. Or less if one doesn't want to bother with any of that. It's an absurdly popular game for a reason: it tailors to everyone.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Black/White have almost 0 of the original 151 pokemon anywhere to be captured. Its entirely new, stupid pokemon with awful, awful designs that I loathe. The new graphics in Black/White are nice, but HeartGold/SoulSilver is just 1 generation behind, still looks very modern and has a great design, but with more of the old school sensibilities.

In B/W1, beat the game and old generation's pokemon will appear in the world. In B/W2 theyre there from the start. And besides, Gen 1 and 2 designs were exactly are ultra retarded as Gen 5's, they just have the nostalgia going for them.

More importantly though, while HG/SS have the best interface in the series, the game still suffers from G/S's horrible pacing. There are much better games in the series to play

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Heart Gold and Soul Silver look like they would require a bit of effort to find for a good price. I'll keep an eye out on ebay. There are some people selling the box/manual with no game for like $20.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Pokemon designs have always been kind of dumb man, even the first generation ones.

Harlock posted:

Or just make them passive abilities. If it makes sense for a Pokemon to have that ability, just let them do it.

I like that idea but then you could get abilities like fly/surf right off the bat which would let you into areas/cities before you're supposed to be able to reach them. (Though a Pokemon game with that kind of freedom would be really nice) If they assigned the abilities to items, you can still stagger them across the game like they do with the HMs.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

KimT posted:

Pokemon designs have always been kind of dumb man, even the first generation ones.

I like that idea but then you could get abilities like fly/surf right off the bat which would let you into areas/cities before you're supposed to be able to reach them. (Though a Pokemon game with that kind of freedom would be really nice) If they assigned the abilities to items, you can still stagger them across the game like they do with the HMs.

Tie it to badges. "Hey now that you have the *Badge* your Pokemon will let you ride them through the skies!"

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Chaltab posted:

I tried that with the Elite Four in Pearl and got torn apart. I had to spend a while grinding effort values on my Raichu.

I'm of the "have a crazy strong starter, supplement with legendaries/pokemon I caught on victory road as needed"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Awesome! posted:

Heart Gold and Soul Silver look like they would require a bit of effort to find for a good price. I'll keep an eye out on ebay. There are some people selling the box/manual with no game for like $20.

Pokemon games are like Mario games in that they don't drop in price quickly. If you're getting Heart Gold or Soul Silver then try and find one with the Pokewalker. It'll make life a lot easier.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

KimT posted:

My wish since I've been playing White 2 a bit is AI that isn't totally god damned stupid. At the very least in trainer battles have them NOT use moves that are only useful in doubles, or are totally useless in the current situation (like that one that lets physical moves hit ghosts).

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Awesome! posted:

If you're still looking for game recommendations then maybe Phoenix Wright? Dunno if it's too VN-y for you, but I don't really get visual novels and I had a blast with PW. Also Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is really good, definitely recommend that if you want more castlevanias.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Zaphod42 posted:

X and Y look good so far, but I really don't like Black & White.

I don't know if you've played Black and White 2 but I consider them the best pokemon games ever made. They're just really slick and fun and the pacing is good and I dunno. Something just clicked for me with that game that didn't with Pearl or Heart Gold.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009
Pokemon Black and White 2 rules just for the fact that the in-game Pokedex is a bit less than 300 if you don't count trades/events. There's just a ton of variety of what you can catch on any route.

Fooley posted:

My wish since I've been playing White 2 a bit is AI that isn't totally god damned stupid. At the very least in trainer battles have them NOT use moves that are only useful in doubles, or are totally useless in the current situation (like that one that lets physical moves hit ghosts).

Challenge Mode makes them a little better, but not by much. The end-game stuff though they can literally cheat.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

The Pokemon chat made me want to play my soulsilver but I just get blue screened and it says save data could not be accessed. A quick google search says I'm SoL. Would it be ethical to buy a used one from GameStop and do a switch a roo and just return my broken one.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Steinuh posted:

Would it be ethical to buy a used one from GameStop and do a switch a roo and just return my broken one.

If you have to ask, no.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Steinuh posted:

The Pokemon chat made me want to play my soulsilver but I just get blue screened and it says save data could not be accessed. A quick google search says I'm SoL. Would it be ethical to buy a used one from GameStop and do a switch a roo and just return my broken one.

Pokemon games can do that? I thought it was just fakes that messed up. drat, now i'm all paranoid.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Well, that would be rather unethical, but it's Gamestop and they deserve to be hosed in every way possible. :getin:

2 more days until Animal Crossing! Anyone know if Walmart will price match K-mart's $29.99 price?

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Black/White have almost 0 of the original 151 pokemon anywhere to be captured. Its entirely new, stupid pokemon with awful, awful designs that I loathe.

You can catch the older generation pokemon after you beat the game.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Bottom Liner posted:

2 more days until Animal Crossing! Anyone know if Walmart will price match K-mart's $29.99 price?

Sure just bring in the circular.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Canned Panda posted:

You can catch the older generation pokemon after you beat the game.

You can also bring them in from the Dream Link.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

MrFlibble posted:

Pokemon games can do that? I thought it was just fakes that messed up. drat, now i'm all paranoid.

Yeah still have the box and the pokewalker thing. Funny thing is the DS still has its charge after all these years of not being used

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steinuh posted:

Yeah still have the box and the pokewalker thing. Funny thing is the DS still has its charge after all these years of not being used

I dug my original DS out of a box when I got my XL to take a family photo of sorts. It still had charge. So did my GBA.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My poke walker was maxed out at 999999 steps and the battery died :(

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

July 3 in Japan, "early August" in NA.
Oh, thank you!!

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
SpotPass just sent me an Iwata Mii, apparently for the purpose of reminding me about the E3 conference. Suppose that's one way to do it.

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!

Soul Glo posted:

You have to use the original SD card in the new system. After the transfer, it tells you to put the old card in the new system, I think because the licenses for downloaded software don't transfer. You can put the AC 3DS' memory card in the old system, though.

Not sure if it's in options, but you can see how many :sigh:BLOCKS:sigh: your card has left whenever you download something from the store.

e: clarification

So does this mean I cannot play AC on my new 3DS XL, because if it does, then I think the transfer isn't really worth it because I only have pushmo on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Behonkiss posted:

SpotPass just sent me an Iwata Mii, apparently for the purpose of reminding me about the E3 conference. Suppose that's one way to do it.

Puzzle Swap puzzles and promotional Swapnote stationary are the some of the best free DLC that also serve as blatant advertisements.

• Locked thread