Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

thebigcow posted:

Probably part of the ilo hardware.

This, and also I'm not sure if the Xeon chips have integrated video (probably because it makes ILO/LOM/DRAC/Whatever harder).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Matrox G200 video? WTF? Matrox is still around? How old is that chip anyways? Why not just use the integrated intel graphics? :psyduck:

The G200 will 15 years old in a couple of months.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

The G200 will 15 years old in a couple of months.

No poo poo, I had that chip on an AGP board in a PC that we bought in early 1998.

How many drive bays does it actually have? I seem to be blind as I can't locate that on that site.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I've had 6 Reds from B&H photo running for about 6 months, all's well:

code:
 id 	  diskcap 	 pool 	 vdev 	 state 	 error 	         smart_model 	        smart_type 	 smart_health 	 temp 	 
 c0t0d0   3001 GB 	 tank 	 raidz 	 ONLINE  S:2 H:0 T:0 	 WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 	 sat,12 	 PASSED 	 28 °C
 c0t1d0   3001 GB 	 tank 	 raidz 	 ONLINE  S:2 H:0 T:0 	 WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 	 sat,12 	 PASSED 	 28 °C
 c0t2d0   3001 GB 	 tank 	 raidz 	 ONLINE  S:2 H:0 T:0 	 WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 	 sat,12 	 PASSED 	 28 °C
 c0t3d0   3001 GB 	 tank 	 raidz 	 ONLINE  S:2 H:0 T:0 	 WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 	 sat,12 	 PASSED 	 27 °C
 c0t4d0   3001 GB 	 tank 	 raidz 	 ONLINE  S:1 H:0 T:0 	 WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 	 sat,12 	 PASSED 	 27 °C
 c0t5d0   3001 GB 	 tank 	 raidz 	 ONLINE  S:1 H:0 T:0 	 WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 	 sat,12 	 PASSED 	 28 °C
Also, napp-it v.9 is a HUGE improvement over .8.

The Big L
May 8, 2008
In case anyone was interested, Newegg is selling the HP N54L Microserver for 15% off along with a $50 mail-in rebate for $239 and are also throwing in a USB 3.0 controller card as well. The mail-in rebate expires after tomorrow, so I assume that the 15% off promo will expire then as well.

Because I love burning money all at once apparently, I splurged and went with the combo offer they were offering, which included the following:

- HP N54L Microserver
- USB 3.0 Controller Card (Included w/N54L)
- 2 x 4GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR 1333 ECC
- 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red HDD's

After an additional $80 combo discount, the total came to $735 for everything.

I'm well aware of the QC issues Newegg has had with the Red drives, but assuming everything arrives in one piece, I hope to use this as a media server for my desktop and HTPC. This is my first foray into any find of NAS/Server, so I'm painfully ignorant of the finer details on how to do anything. A cursory glance in this thread and elsewhere seems to point towards using FreeNAS and setting up a 6TB ZFS pool, but I'm open to any and all opinions and/or tips since this is my first time doing anything like this.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

Looks good to me. With the bios tweak and e-sata port, I'd go with ubuntu+ZFS for my OS on a spare 2.5 laptop/cheap SSD. The onboard USB header is such a cool feature I think. My higher end SuperMicro board has it, and I'm still trying to find something fun to do with it besides an OS install.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
For the last four years I've been using a HP MediaSmart server as my NAS. Yesterday, it started rebooting under any type of heavy hard drive usage. I thought it was a problem with the system drive, bought a new drive, restored the OS, started transferring the first files to the new system drive, and it started rebooting again. Now it can't be trusted, and I need to replace it.

I don't want to build a PC for this. I'm thinking about ordering the Synology DS413. I had never heard of Synology before today, but the more I read, the more they sound like the industry standard. I wish I had gone with them four years ago instead of the now-dead MediaSmart running the now-dead WHS. Synology's hybrid RAID sounds similar to Drive Extender, which is awesome. The only other things I did with my HP were running a personal FTP, iTunes server, nightly backups of my desktop, and (sadly, manual) backups of itself. It sounds like any of the Synology products will do these for me, plus about a billion other things if I need them.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience with the DS413 in particular? There are a ton of references to the DS412+, but I don't know if any of the extra features and faster processor are worth the extra $180 to me.

Edit: One other question. This is also the first time I've looked into the WD Red drives... Would there be any issue mixing a few new Red drives with my existing Black ones? Like, will any performance gains from the Red drives be negated by the fact they are mixed in with the others in the same NAS device?

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 26, 2013

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

rainwulf posted:

Im going to chime in with my experience with slightly higher capacity storage.
Being a bit of a packrat, i have been building high capacity home servers for a while, but never strayed away from the windows platform.

My current system is a core i3 560 on an intel DP55WG with 16 gig of ddr3.
My OS of choice for years has been 2003 server, then its 64bit variant, and only recently, moved to 2008R2.

I never really used to use raid or redundancy as most of my stuff i could find again at the LANs i visit regularly, but starting about 2 years ago, i started moving hard to find stuff to raid 5.

My card of choice at the time was the relatively simple intel SASMF8i which runs a LSI 1068e chipset. It was only firmware raid 5, but did the trick.

Late last year i got hit with floods. (brisbane QLD)
My server was downstairs in our two floor house, and we were out at the time, and a flash flood put a foot of water through under the house.

We come home to dead servers. (one was a virtual machine host, the other was the file server)

The boards had fried, but the drives were ok as WD green drives dont have a breather hole. All i needed to do was take the circuit boards off, dry them for a couple of days, and reassembled them. I didnt lose a single drive to this, and was able to move all the data off onto new 2tb drives.

At this point, i decided to spend a bit of money to get everything going again, so i purchased a perc5i of ebay.
I also purchased a nice asus amd board with a 6 core amd cpu.
This proved to be a mistake. The board itself is fantastic, and the perc5 had no issues at all, its just for some reason the new intel SASMF8i card i bought would last between a day and a week before locking up and me having to hard reboot the machine.
The SASMF8i card was no longer in raid mode, i was just using it as a simple fast 8 drive sata controller card, but my virtual machines were on one of the drives, and having my email server locking up every 2-5 days wasnt going to fly.

Thats when i finally got the intel board, with the 16 gig ram.
This time the perc5 had a poo poo and didnt want to run in the intel system. I had to do the pin mod trick on the smbus to get the card to work. ( i actualy cut the traces)

So my current system has 8 2tb drives in a raid 5 being driven by the perc5i.
There are another 7 drives in the server of various sizes and types, mainly 2tb and 1.5tb drives being driven by the SASMF8i card. I did this because this card has individual LED outputs per drive, and with my hacked enclosures i can now see which drive has activity.

The core i3 isnt really up to the job of driving the file server and 4 virtual machines, but its very low power with the server using under 200 watts of power even when the cpu is at full speed.
I also have a dual port intel server NIC in ALB mode to give me 2gig of bandwidth, though at home thats kind of a waste.

I have around 18 tb of storage available, half is redundant, the other half is individual drives, with the redundant side storing all the more important things.

I also have a small atom N270 machine running two 1tb drives in raid1 to store my vital business data, and all our pictures and stuff.

Server 2008r2 as a file server OS is pretty drat nice. Its very fast when browsing the network, and with 16 gig of ram it has room to breathe and use its file caching to a maximum.

Management wise, its still a vanilla windows OS, with you having to login via RDP to do anything via file management.
Im also running an on the fly bonjour based streaming software so i can stream movies directly to my ipad/iphone.

The entire server is powered with a 550 watt delta server power supply, and its boot drive is a 64gig OCZ vertex II SSD.

So, total drive count is 15 using hacked up SCSI hot swap bays. 16 when including the ssd.

Wow wall of text.

If anyone has any questions about perc5, intel raid cards, or 2008R2 give me a holla, as in the last 4 months i must of rebuilt my server at least 15 times trying to nail down the issue with the locking up raid card.
That and load balanced network cards.
You dont need a special switch for that btw.

I know that I'm digging up an ancient post here, but I'm genuinely curious - How the gently caress did you get the SASMF8I out of RAID mode? I tried to flash it to the 1068E firmware, but that just resulted in Windows 7 refusing any driver I'd present to it.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho
I heard some rear end in a top hat has a BR10i for sale in the 'mart.

edit: Fractal R4 for $80 shipped for US goons. Awesome case, I grabbed one for full price a few months ago. Fits 8 drives and has 2 5.25 for a few more. You can mount two SSD's on the back of the mother board tray.

http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031500&sku=75044&vpn=FD-CA-DEF-R4-BL&manufacture=Fractal+Design&promoid=1281

kill your idols fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 28, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Another datapoint for reds: I ordered three 2TB from Newegg, and they shipped them to me with each in a giant wad of bubble wrap, in a box full of packing peanuts. Two are perfect... one dropped out of the array about 40 days in. Waiting on an advance RMA so I can swap it out.

I only comment because I got a survey which had this question in it:

I wonder if they're starting to notice.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Ha, that's funny. My Newegg reds (one was DOA) were packed like yours. The Amazon drives were packed like the picture and had no DOAs.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Ninja Rope posted:

Ha, that's funny. My Newegg reds (one was DOA) were packed like yours. The Amazon drives were packed like the picture and had no DOAs.

I had 4 shipped from amazon and 2 from newegg, I believe. Can't remember the packaging on the newegg ones but I do remember the amazon drives being packaged properly.

No problems after several months with mine, guess I got lucky. Well, except for the fact that my raidz2 is half-full already. 7TB just isn't enough..

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The last time I ordered drives from Amazon, they were just drop shipped from Ingram Micro, each in its own individually wrapped / padded box that they came from the factory in. Then, all those boxes were thrown in a huge Amazon box which was overflowing with packing material. Was pretty happy with that!

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I just got some 3TB Reds in from Amazon (3) and Adorama (3). The Amazon ones were packed properly, the Adorama ones haphazardly. None of them appear to be DOA, so here's hoping.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

IOwnCalculus posted:

Another datapoint for reds: I ordered three 2TB from Newegg, and they shipped them to me with each in a giant wad of bubble wrap, in a box full of packing peanuts. Two are perfect... one dropped out of the array about 40 days in. Waiting on an advance RMA so I can swap it out.

I only comment because I got a survey which had this question in it:

I wonder if they're starting to notice.

Has anyone had any horror stories with buying drives from Amazon? I'm in NJ, so I get hit with tax from Newegg, so I try to grab from the local MicroCenter in the hood. I never bought a drive online so I want to use my Price Membership for something good besides pet food and pregnancy tests to give out on Halloween.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Remember when newegg would just toss your drive into a box with the rest of your order, and then cover it with a few sheets of brown paper?

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Thoom posted:

I just got some 3TB Reds in from Amazon (3) and Adorama (3). The Amazon ones were packed properly, the Adorama ones haphazardly. None of them appear to be DOA, so here's hoping.

Remember to set up email monitoring, always nice to get spammed with an email that says everything is a-ok than not be sure when your storage is about to fail.

I highly recommend the raidz2 with 6x XTB drives. I'm probably going to add another zdev to mine when I hit 75% usage to raise it to 14TB. That, or build a crazy storage rig and use this as a backup for the more crucial data, perhaps with another zdev as well. Probably the latter.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Yeah, raidz2 is the plan. I'm currently running badblocks on the drives overnight to head off any early failures before I format them.

Is there a standard way to do this email monitoring?

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Depends on the platform. With freenas you can use the builtin tools to run smart checks and scrub your pools. If you decide to run openindiana you can use nappit or write some crons. If you're in the mood for overkill you can set up a nagios server in addition to the above.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Running Ubuntu Server (13.04). Crons it is, I suppose. Was something like this what you had in mind?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not 100% sure what thread this should go in, so I'll start here.

I'm trying to *add* about 50 TB of storage to a server split where maximum i/o is achieved by splitting across 4 independent i/o channels (it does not serialize to more than 4). The easiest way to do this would seem to be splitting a 24-bay enclosure into 4 6-bay RAID-6 arrays using a SAS expander. I've spent the last hour researching SAS expander since it's brand new territory for me, but am having trouble drilling down to specific possible hardware choices. Does anyone know any good resources to start researching specific solutions (i.e. chassis, vendors, specific sas expander cards, etc.)?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
ZFS/Linux (Ubuntu 13.04 Server) question. I'm trying to share one of my ZFS datasets over SMB, but I want to name it something other than the default. When I run the command it gives me the following error

code:
# zfs set sharesmb=name=files tank/files
cannot set property for 'tank/files': 'sharesmb' cannot be set to invalid options
Am I doing something wrong or is this feature simply busted? All the Google results I can find are years-old Solaris discussions. Should I just give up and set up the share through smb.conf the normal way?

Edit: Yeah, from the man page it looks like the feature simply isn't implemented.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 2, 2013

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

kill your idols posted:

Has anyone had any horror stories with buying drives from Amazon? I'm in NJ, so I get hit with tax from Newegg, so I try to grab from the local MicroCenter in the hood. I never bought a drive online so I want to use my Price Membership for something good besides pet food and pregnancy tests to give out on Halloween.

Me. Amazon shipped a comically large box with 4 smaller hard drives (WD Reds Ironically) in boxes banging up against each other. the kicker was they put in a sheet of paper in there. Just to mock me I suppose. I shipped them back without opening the drives and called Amazon to complain, probably didn't do much good.

Maybe they've gotten better, but after what i've seen with newegg and amazon crap-tastic shipping for such a sensitive device, I'm just going to buy drives from b&m places from here on.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thoom posted:

ZFS/Linux (Ubuntu 13.04 Server) question. I'm trying to share one of my ZFS datasets over SMB, but I want to name it something other than the default. When I run the command it gives me the following error

code:
cannot set property for 'tank/files': 'sharesmb' cannot be set to invalid options
Am I doing something wrong or is this feature simply busted? All the Google results I can find are years-old Solaris discussions. Should I just give up and set up the share through smb.conf the normal way?

Edit: Yeah, from the man page it looks like the feature simply isn't implemented.

Is there an advantage to sharing an ZFS data set that one way over the other?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bonobos posted:

Me. Amazon shipped a comically large box with 4 smaller hard drives (WD Reds Ironically) in boxes banging up against each other. the kicker was they put in a sheet of paper in there. Just to mock me I suppose. I shipped them back without opening the drives and called Amazon to complain, probably didn't do much good.

Maybe they've gotten better, but after what i've seen with newegg and amazon crap-tastic shipping for such a sensitive device, I'm just going to buy drives from b&m places from here on.

You've never been in the warehouse of a b&m during truck unloading.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Is there an advantage to sharing an ZFS data set that one way over the other?

The article I read suggested that setting up the shares manually could lead to some weirdness if services got started in the wrong order on boot up. I also read that the ZFS-based solution was faster, but that seems to be an academic point because I'm saturating my LAN connection as-is.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Thoom posted:

code:

Share SMB is Solaris specific. A shame cause it beats configuring Samba.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

DNova posted:

You've never been in the warehouse of a b&m during truck unloading.

I surmised as much, but figured at least with the retail box you can tell if the drive has been dropped if the packaging is banged up.

Screw it, I'm just going to stop buying hard drives all together.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
So I was getting terrible read speeds on my Freenas HP N40L (like 5 MBs per second) while my upload speed was on the order of 80 MBs. I decided to try to update FreeNAS to the latest build through the GUI, and it completely poo poo itself. I eventually had to wipe the USB stick with zeros and reload a fresh copy of FreeNAS to get it back running. After that, all I had to do to get my data back was click Import ZFS volume, and it had everything back in 30 seconds. After rebuilding my users and shares, it's all good, and my read speeds now match my write speeds.

So, gently caress you FreeNAS for being brittle and killing yourself over an upgrade, and a big thanks to ZFS for being stable and storing all your pool information in the drives.

telarium4
Jul 23, 2010

UndyingShadow posted:

So, gently caress you FreeNAS for being brittle and killing yourself over an upgrade, and a big thanks to ZFS for being stable and storing all your pool information in the drives.

IIRC, the recommended upgrade path is not through the GUI, though I've never had an issue with it.

I'm looking to setup a new RAIDZ2 NAS, as my old one is

Case
PSU
MoBo
Processor (with AES-NI)
16 gigs of RAM
Extra SATA ports for the...
10 harddrives (21.8 TB usable)
1 harddrive not in the RAID config

Any recommendations on/outside of these picks? Do you think I should wait a bit longer for harddrive prices to come down from their tsunami high?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

In my country, 4TB hard drives are pretty much the same price point as the other ones. Are you only getting the 3TBs because they're WD Reds?

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

telarium4 posted:

PSU

Any recommendations on/outside of these picks? Do you think I should wait a bit longer for harddrive prices to come down from their tsunami high?

750W is too much for your rig which should boot with 300W easily and consume about 40-70W at most. Get something efficient low power like the Sea Sonic G-Series 360W or something else gold rated and <400W. Another option is the FSP Raider 450W, which is has excellent efficiency despite being rated bronze. Other than that, the rest seems fine. Oh, and a lot of Sata->2xSata power adapters.

evvywevvy
Mar 17, 2011
I have a 6x2TB RAIDZ2 running on FreeBSD. I had a drive die a while back, and since I don't have a job and couldn't afford to spend $100 replacing it, I just let it continue in a degraded state. (I know, I'm an idiot.) Yesterday, I discovered there is a second failed drive. I shut down pretty much right away. Now I can't get any of my stuff, but at least it's not actively being destroyed. If I have to live without it until I get a drat job, I will.

The original 6 drives were all Seagate, 5 from Newegg and 1 from elsewhere. One drive failed in January and was replaced with a WD. I do not know which drives are now failed.

1. Is it likely that I can resilver 2 drives without another failure?
2. Is there a preferred way to replace 2 drives? i.e. simultaneously or sequentially?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The risk you run in a situation like this is that while you're resilvering another drive will die, but whether you do 1 drive or 2 drives it won't matter because it's still just reading the data once.

Are you able to RMA either of the drives?

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
I accidentally added a non-mirrored hard drive to an existing zfs pool. It looks I can't ever remove the drat thing, but is there anyway to keep that drive for separate purposes? I wouldn't mind making it a temporary folder while my raidz1 drives are used for long term storage.

evvywevvy
Mar 17, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

Are you able to RMA either of the drives?

No, I bought them too long ago.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

evvywevvy posted:

No, I bought them too long ago.

Meaning the drives are out of their manufacturer's warranty? Or the return policy for where you bought them?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Seagate is releasing a competitor to the WD Red, called 'NAS HDD'

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7062/seagate-introduces-nas-hdd-wd-red-gets-a-competitor

Available in 2, 3, and 4TB sizes

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/nas-drives/nas-hdd/?cmpid=friendly-_-solutions-nashdd-us

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Looking for input on something I'm trying to work out.

I want to build an all-in-one box that would serve double duty as a fileserver/transcoder and run on ESXi/Hyper V for testing/learning purposes. I'd be shooting for ~6TB of storage (so 4x2TB raid 5), presenting that to vm host, and running a windows VM for media serving/file storage.

However, I get the impression that this probably isn't going to be feasible, or that it's just not a very good idea. In order to make this work I'd need a Hardware RAID card that's ESX/HV compatible, and even then the horror stories of trying to rebuild a failure on disks that size is worrying me. Also, apparently without write cache I'm hearing lots of problems with poor I/O, so that's pushing me into a card that's silly expensive.

Should I just drop the idea of a combined unit? My gut is saying yes but I thought I'd doublecheck here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You could do ESXi booting from iSCSI using FreeNAS or something