Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

annaconda
Mar 12, 2007
deadly bite

Ceridwen posted:

Congrats on the pregnancy. Spotting and bleeding in pregnancy suck. Were they able to find a cause?

Nope, no clue. Just one of those lucky things. My little theory now is that it happened at the time I would have been due for a period, and my body was just overly keen. Whatever it was, it doesn't seem to have affected the shrimp. Thanks for the congrats too!

A box of popsicles is a serving size, I agree, and I think now we have an established majority so gently caress the haters.

Sockmuppet, re. names: I am annaconda middlename mum'smaidenname dad'ssurname. People LOVE to hyphenate the last two names, whereas legally I have one surname, one first name and two middle names. Mum'smaidenname gets chopped off a lot, so I think your concerns are legitimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

Sockmuppet posted:

We've got until she's 6 months old before the government steps in and names her for us :v:

Is that true? Do you end up with a baby called DEFAULT_BABY_NAME_1016 Johnson? :)

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
I've had lots of luck with maxi dresses or skirts that are stretchy and not maternity. I had trouble finding cheap shirts anywhere, so I sucked it up and bought some not-cheap ones. Unfortunately, a bunch are too short now at 35 weeks because my torso is super long and I'm relatively tall. So I have like four shirts that I just keep cycling through. I keep myself from being naked, but barely.

Best clothes I found were at GAP and Motherhood Maternity. Target and Old Navy were okay. Consignment shops... apparently everyone is my size in every store. The Sears near me has a tiny maternity section, and that can be great when they have a super sale.

The eBay stuff I got never really fit right, and you (obviously) can't try it on beforehand, so I didn't go back.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
Men's dress shirts with a skinny belt at the empire waist, or websites like zulily.com always have discounted maternity clothes, though not if you are a big girl. For that, I went for tons of long maxi dresses.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

DwemerCog posted:

Is that true? Do you end up with a baby called DEFAULT_BABY_NAME_1016 Johnson? :)

I would go for this.

We downloaded Nametrix from the app store and it's pretty fun but not actually helpful at all in choosing a name - unless you feel like a name can REALLY influence your baby to be a libertarian (name him Tanner)or a stripper (name her Valentina). Or a libertarian stripper. It's interesting that all the names we like peaked in popularity in the 1920s and '30s. That's what we get for naming our baby after grandparents!

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
My best maternity shirts were actually just plain old boat neck shirts from Old Navy that have been long and stretchy enough to cover my gut all 9 months, they're pretty awesome. Unfortunately I only bought a couple at first and by the time I decided they were great and I wanted more they were already on the clearance rack, so pickings were slim.

Old Navy does have some nice, cheap maternity tank tops too, good for the warmer weather. Unfortunately not every Old Navy carries maternity clothes so I have to drive a bit to go shopping at them.

Target is cheap only if you find good stuff on the sale rack, all the rest seem kind of overpriced to me. JCPenney apparently can't be bothered to carry maternity anymore, which is a bummer cause they had good stuff. Sears has some but it's all overpriced.

And yeah, definitely check out children's consignment shops.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

DwemerCog posted:

Nah it's a myth. The kid will get the mother's last name, but the first name will not be picked by the government. The field will be left blank. The parents will get a fine though if they haven't picked a name after six months, to light a fire under their asses.

Edit: my daughter got a letter addressed to her before we had registered her name, and it said "Mylastname, girl Myfirstname"

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 6, 2013

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe

annaconda posted:

A box of popsicles is a serving size, I agree, and I think now we have an established majority so gently caress the haters.

We have reached a gooncensus.

My weekly visit is tomorrow and I am still debating whether I want a cervix check or not. I'll be 39 weeks 2 days. Haven't had one since early third trimester when I had some bleeding (was totally closed/not effaced), my practice doesn't do them routinely but will if I want. Part of me wants to know what's going on up in there, but part of me is afraid if nothing is going on I'll feel discouraged or anxious. I know how far I'm dilated/effaced means nothing as far as when I could go into labor, and my practice won't do any intervention till 42 weeks if non-stress tests, etc. are fine at 41 weeks. My partner is a mailman with a walking route, in a very understaffed city, so he's a little worried I'll go into labor while he's out on his route, which since he works 10 hrs a day 6 days a week is very possible. He has union/management approval for emergency leave when I do go into labor, it'd just be logistically a mess if he's out on his route. (Which guarantees that's when I'll go into labor, I know!) He's been through labor and delivery with his ex wife so he too knows that how dilated/effaced I am/am not is more or less meaningless too. I don't feel any signs/symptoms that labor is imminent and I don't think he's even dropped but I have no idea what to expect! My mom was over a week late with both my brother and I so... I dunno.

Midnight Science
Aug 7, 2009

It will destroy you.
Sudont, for what it's worth, I had my 39w on Tuesday and said no to the check for peace of mind. Feels good to just let go a little :)

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

It has been one hellish week, but I think we finally made a breakthrough last night. We got about 4 hours of solid sleeping time, and he's being so content this morning. Unfortunately he had to go to the hospital two nights ago and spend the night + all day yesterday because of jaundice issues. They also have me supplementing his feedings with formula...which kind of sucks, but now at least he's getting full enough that he is sleeping better. Apparently because he's a little premature he isn't getting enough out of my breasts, it's mostly an issue of him getting too sleepy while feeding. I'm hoping once he is a few weeks older we can wean him off the formula, he's still taking to the boob great right now.

I had to do a little wash up this morning because he peed and it went all over his back/swaddling blankets this morning, just used a wash cloth with warm water, but his hair was looking kind of scraggly so I decided to wash his hair too. In the hospital he HATED his bath, but he did really well for me, and loved his head being rinsed with the warm water. :3:

Maternity clothing is such a bitch, especially pants. I purchased a ton of maternity jeans from old navy online because I was too sick to shop at the time but knew I'd need them soon. Most of them I returned, because what the hell, maternity skinny jeans? Isn't that some oxymoron? The last thing I wanted was jeans that were skin tight around my thighs and legs during my pregnancy.
I found a single pair that fit me amazingly. Of course, they went out of stock and I couldn't find them locally, so I pretty much wore that single pair of jeans my whole pregnancy, they were so comfortable though.
I did find another pair at Motherhood maternity that was decent, but still a little on the too-tight in the legs for pregnancy comfort.

Lyz posted:

My best maternity shirts were actually just plain old boat neck shirts from Old Navy that have been long and stretchy enough to cover my gut all 9 months, they're pretty awesome. Unfortunately I only bought a couple at first and by the time I decided they were great and I wanted more they were already on the clearance rack, so pickings were slim.

I did this at Khols, they have a lot of women's tops that have long torso's so I bought a couple of those and they covered my belly great. They do have some decent maternity tops as well, but their selection is very small.

travelsized
Feb 21, 2006
On the topic of maternity clothing: a month ago my mom came to visit and wanted to buy me maternity clothing so we went to the store in the mall, Destination Maternity. But they are so expensive, so I won't go back. Early on I bought a bunch of cheap leggings and tunic style tops from H&M which still fit fairly well. And I am lucky that a friend of mine gave birth in November, and we're the same size so she gave me a bunch of her old stuff.

I found that earlier on I really liked the maternity pants that had a 4-5" band of elastic around the waist because it fit pretty well over my much smaller bump. But now that I'm as big as I am, I really need the full belly elastic style pants. Tunic tops still fit pretty well though, and I'm hoping to wear them even after th baby comes.

What I really need are new bras. I was doing so well with the soft sleeping bras (and just wearing them all the time) but I think my band size increased, so the cups still fit, but it's tight on my ribs.

32 weeks today and I am really starting to feel that third trimester fatigue settling in. I'm going to have to start talking to my boss about maybe working from home a couple days of the week. I really need to be able to lie down for a bit in the mid afternoon.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol
I second or third the, "find regular shirts that are longer." That's what I did. I also just altered a regular pair of pants I had. I like to sew and so I ripped the waist band off a regular pair of jeans that fit me and added my own belly panel. It worked great, but then I never got a big round belly.

Target and Old Navy are where I got most of my tops. I also got a great pair of fold over yoga pants at Old Navy that saw me through all of my pregnancy. I got away with 1 pair of jeans, the yoga pants and about 6-7 t-shirts a I wore all the time. Of course I got to wear scrubs to work so that made that part easy for me.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR

travelsized posted:

What I really need are new bras. I was doing so well with the soft sleeping bras (and just wearing them all the time) but I think my band size increased, so the cups still fit, but it's tight on my ribs.

I just went to a craft store and bought the band extender and used that for several months. Eventually I outgrew my cups and just got two nursing bras a little big. They are extremely unsexy, but they put my boobs in the right place at least.

I've spent so much money on bras in such a short time. :(

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I got cheap Target nursing bras and after 14 months of wearing them nursing Chris they were all bunched up and the underwire was starting to wear through and chafe so I ended up throwing them all away. Now I'm going to have to buy all new ones for this baby.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
Went for round 2 of clothes shopping and ended up finding the most stuff at a decent price at Burlington Coat Factory of all places (fat shorts for $12, yes please). Tried to hit Target and Kohls but no luck there. But for the near future anyway I shall not be nude!

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Lyz posted:

I got cheap Target nursing bras and after 14 months of wearing them nursing Chris they were all bunched up and the underwire was starting to wear through and chafe so I ended up throwing them all away. Now I'm going to have to buy all new ones for this baby.

I don't have small breasts, and for my own comfort and sanity, this is the place that I splurged. You can also get regular bras that fit you well and have pretty much any tailor's shop add clips to make them nursing bras.

Amelia Song fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 7, 2013

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Amelia Song posted:

I don't have small breasts, and for my own comfort sanity, this is the place that I splurged. You can also get regular bras that fit you well and have pretty much any tailor's shop add clips to make them nursing bras.

I have some really comfy cotton ones I got at Vicki's Secret, luckily they have finally realized that boobs come in sizes above a D, I need to get clips in them but I've been lazy.

I spend most of my days in a couple cheap spandex bras I got at target to sleep in but they're starting to give out under the weight of the DD's. :(

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009
I ended up getting most of my (tiny) maternity wardrobe at Destination Maternity. It is super expensive, but they have a bunch of good work-appropriate shirts and slacks. I do wonder if any of them will be wearable when I'm not pregnant anymore, because I've gotten kind of fond of them.

Just went to my hospital's breastfeeding class and I was happily surprised to learn that it's hospital policy to put the naked newborn immediately on the mother's chest and leave it there, holding off on testing, bathing, etc. until it completes its first feeding (usually 60-80 minutes after birth). Has anybody already done this? Did the baby actually crawl towards the nipple and latch on? It seems kind of magical and unlikely.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

If you look up "breast crawl" on YouTube (NSFW for obvious reasons) you'll see some examples of it. In most cases the baby is already laying between the mother's breasts, so it's not like he's crawling like an actual mobile baby, but he does move and squirm until he latches.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Seven for a Secret posted:

I ended up getting most of my (tiny) maternity wardrobe at Destination Maternity. It is super expensive, but they have a bunch of good work-appropriate shirts and slacks. I do wonder if any of them will be wearable when I'm not pregnant anymore, because I've gotten kind of fond of them.

Just went to my hospital's breastfeeding class and I was happily surprised to learn that it's hospital policy to put the naked newborn immediately on the mother's chest and leave it there, holding off on testing, bathing, etc. until it completes its first feeding (usually 60-80 minutes after birth). Has anybody already done this? Did the baby actually crawl towards the nipple and latch on? It seems kind of magical and unlikely.

I've done this with both my kids (well my daughter had to be taken out briefly because she was a little limp at first but they brought her back quickly). My son wasn't interested in the breast at all and didn't latch on. Eventually he just went to sleep. My daughter was much more eager. I helped her face be close to the nipple and she rooted and grunted and then latched. It was pretty awesome.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

sudont posted:

My mom was over a week late with both my brother and I so... I dunno.

I'm curious about whether this is something even worth taking in or not. My mom went early with me, and both her sisters went early with my cousins... I've been assuming that means I'll probably go early, too, but is it true?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Tourette Meltdown posted:

I'm curious about whether this is something even worth taking in or not. My mom went early with me, and both her sisters went early with my cousins... I've been assuming that means I'll probably go early, too, but is it true?

My mom went early with me, my brother was late. My kid was a little late.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Tourette Meltdown posted:

From a scientific standpoint, yes, there is a link (heritability of gestational age is significant). But it doesn't give you much predictive power at an individual level. Much the same way that the information from prelabor cervical checks DOES mean something at a population level but isn't very useful at an individual level.

My mom went (way) late with 4 of her 5 kids. I went into labor on my due date and Hannah was born 2 days later. She was also way smaller than you would have predicted based on the size of me and my husband at birth (birth weight is also a heritable characteristic).

Psychologically I think it was good for me to prep everything in case I went early and then just assume I would go late so I wasn't pissed when I didn't go into labor by my due date. If you get too attached to the idea you'll go early it can make the last few weeks kind of like torture if you wind up going late.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Ceridwen posted:

Psychologically I think it was good for me to prep everything in case I went early and then just assume I would go late so I wasn't pissed when I didn't go into labor by my due date. If you get too attached to the idea you'll go early it can make the last few weeks kind of like torture if you wind up going late.

I pretty much told myself I was going to go into labor at 42w so that I was prepared for that possibility. I ended up going into labor at 40w2d (or 40w, depending on ultrasound or LMP due date) and it was a happy surprise.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Dropped the bomb on the family and friends this week. We got more Facebook likes and comments than we did for our engagement/wedding...apparently people really wanted us to have a kid. Per his dad and my parents, we were two weeks and one week late, so this December 19 date is looking like Christmas if babby follows our path.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hmm, well I opted for the internal exam. I'm 39 weeks 2 days, almost totally effaced and not at all dilated, his head low and is in place. I thought I had seen all the midwives, but this is the first time I saw this one, and when she measured me she was surprised, I was only measuring at 35 weeks. I've always measured about a week behind, I measured 37 last week. I had an ultrasound at 36 weeks 2 days and his weight was estimated at 5 lbs 10 oz which if I go to 40 weeks and he gains normally would put him on the low side of normal. I'm assuming I measure smaller because he's dropped, since his head is very low (though I don't think I look like I'm carrying lower and haven't noticed an increase in pressure really).

So I have to go for an ultrasound on Tuesday to check his growth. I'm due Wednesday. None of the other doctors/midwives have shown any concern, so I hope it's just that she's being overly cautious/has never seen me before so doesn't have a baseline to go from.

Trying not to freak out, but the whole, "I'm due in 6 days, what do you MEAN we're just noticing now he might be too small?" is scary! Also thinking stupid things like "Oh God, I didn't give up coffee, I drank too much caffeine... what have I done..." when it's likely that everything is on target and I'm just being ridiculous. I've had such a textbook and easy pregnancy. Fingers crossed.

sudont fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 7, 2013

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

sudont posted:

Hmm, well I opted for the internal exam. I'm 39 weeks 2 days, almost totally effaced and not at all dilated, his head low and is in place. I thought I had seen all the midwives, but this is the first time I saw this one, and when she measured me she was surprised, I was only measuring at 35 weeks. I've always measured about a week behind, I measured 37 last week. I had an ultrasound at 36 weeks 2 days and his weight was estimated at 5 lbs 10 oz which if I go to 40 weeks and he gains normally would put him on the low side of normal. I'm assuming I measure smaller because he's dropped, since his head is very low (though I don't think I look like I'm carrying lower and haven't noticed an increase in pressure really).

So I have to go for an ultrasound on Tuesday to check his growth. I'm due Wednesday. None of the other doctors/midwives have shown any concern, so I hope it's just that she's being overly cautious/has never seen me before so doesn't have a baseline to go from.

Trying not to freak out, but the whole, "I'm due in 6 days, what do you MEAN we're just noticing now he might be too small?" is scary! Also thinking stupid things like "Oh God, I didn't give up coffee, I drank too much caffeine... what have I done..." when it's likely that everything is on target and I'm just being ridiculous. I've had such a textbook and easy pregnancy. Fingers crossed.

If it makes you feel better, Rory measured 4lbs 6oz when I was 38 weeks but was born 8. They're not entirely accurate.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
The doctors told my that my youngest child wouldn't survive her pregnancy because she wasn't keeping up with the expected growth rate. She was born 7lbs 10oz, 3 days late. She's 11 now, and has not suffered a single one of the disturbing side effects they said she would have.

Sometimes they just decide to scare the hell out of you just so they can cover their own asses if anything goes wrong. I know it is really hard not to stress out over it, but I suggest taking a deep breath, sitting back, and enjoying the extra peek into you baby's world.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Anya posted:

Dropped the bomb on the family and friends this week. We got more Facebook likes and comments than we did for our engagement/wedding...apparently people really wanted us to have a kid. Per his dad and my parents, we were two weeks and one week late, so this December 19 date is looking like Christmas if babby follows our path.

I'm rooting for December 19, I want to share my birthday with a goon baby!

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Thanks, this is just what I needed--to go "OH GOD OH GOD" and have reasonable women tell me they had the same thing happen and everything turned out just fine. :) I'll be nervous till I know more on Tuesday of course, but that's pretty normal. The fact that I've always measured small, I was squarely average at the 36 week u/s, u/s measurements and fundal measurements can be way off, and that his head is so low (which would to me explain why I went backwards in measurements instead of forwards) already is making me feel more reassured too.

Edit: Oh oh, also forgot to share this gem! The practice I'm with is great, I started with the OB's and when they cleared me (I had a couple conditions that they wanted to make sure weren't going to affect my pregnancy) I switched to the midwives. With both the doctor's and midwives I've been very happy with the speed at which I'm seen for visits, how responsive they've been when I had questions, and so on. Today is the first time I had to wait any significant amount of time to be seen, because one of the midwives left last week and they haven't hired a replacement yet. My appointment was at 11, I wasn't seen till about 11:30, not egregious and the first time it's happened; I always get there early and have never had to wait more than 15 min or so past my scheduled time. The woman who took my weight/BP was new, as was the receptionist. So when I'm done with my appointment and need to schedule next weeks, the receptionist looks at the schedule and says, "Oh, there's not a single opening next week." I'M DUE WEDNESDAY! Did she expect me to say "Okay, how bout week after that?" Haha. She found something for Tuesday. Hopefully they get the kinks worked out soon.

sudont fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 7, 2013

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

sudont something similar happened to me when I saw the NP at my OBs office for the first time. I'd been measuring on time or a week behind and then she measured me ~3 weeks behind. Thankfully I'd just had a scan where the baby measured completely average so she said it was likely just her measuring me differently and didn't worry about it. Every visit after that I measured 1-2 weeks behind. Hannah was a bit on the small side for weight at birth, but well within the normal range.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Seven for a Secret posted:

My son had to go in the little warmer for a little bit (maybe 30 minutes?) because his color was really off. But once they placed him on my chest he really did start to root around & look for a nipple. It was really awesome & such a great moment for us.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

GoreJess posted:

My son had to go in the little warmer for a little bit (maybe 30 minutes?) because his color was really off. But once they placed him on my chest he really did start to root around & look for a nipple. It was really awesome & such a great moment for us.

Hannah had to go to the warmer for a bit as well. When she came back to me she took a 10 minute nap and then started rooting. Her face has changed a ton since she was born (5 weeks now) but her OMG where is the nipple face is still the same. It's super cute.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
What are you all getting your men for Father's day? We don't have our babes yet but I got a really touching bracelet for Mother's day so I feel like my gift needs to be equally as thoughtful. I can't think of anything useful and man-like and not super expensive (I'm not working at the moment).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You could always get a dad-centric onesie like this:
http://www.target.com/p/circo-infant-boys-short-sleeve-bodysuit-white/-/A-14487578#prodSlot=medium_1_9

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

I got him a muscle massage stick. Because his back has been bugging him ever since the baby came because of bouncing her and our former roommate had one and my husband loved it. Not sure if it's touching necessarily but I'm pretty sure he's going to love it and it's man-like and pretty reasonably priced. I also got him a card that covers the touching part.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
This year he's getting a new laptop because his computer is crap, last year he got a 'brew your own beer' kit that we still haven't used. Rick likes getting tools and stuff for work, so getting him something 'fun' is as close as we get to 'touching sentimental gift' for him.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

:ssh:I'm trying to get NIN tickets for a show in October and already have a babysitter set up so we can go out just the two of us.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

MockTurtle posted:

What are you all getting your men for Father's day? We don't have our babes yet but I got a really touching bracelet for Mother's day so I feel like my gift needs to be equally as thoughtful. I can't think of anything useful and man-like and not super expensive (I'm not working at the moment).

I don't know, he didn't get me anything for mother's day, nor would he even rub my extremely swollen pregnant feet for me :argh:
But I was still pregnant, and for him the baby was born before Father's day! I think I'm just going to get him a really cheap tacky shirt that says #1 Dad or something and take pictures of him holding the new baby.. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isoceles
Mar 8, 2005
A Busted Tranny Production
What's the consensus on dying hair in the first trimester? It would be at an aveda salon and dye not bleach. Thanks!,