Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

RFX posted:

There's a movie my girlfriend watched at some point when she was a kid (mid-90s) that we're trying to find. It was probably on Nickelodeon or something like that, but could have just been replayed on TV I guess. It had something to do with a kid at a summer camp who faked being sick and the only thing he could do to keep himself occupied was solve a puzzle upside down. She thinks that perhaps one of the guys from Pete & Pete or some other similar Nick show was in it, but that could just be things blending in. Any ideas?

Sounds like an episode of Salute Your Shorts, "Budnick and Michael Fake Being Sick". IMDB says it's season one, episode nine; unfortunately the only clip I've found is in everyone's favorite "handheld cellphone shot of somebody's laptop" format:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PfNMuwMOGo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Crackmaster posted:

Sounds like an episode of Salute Your Shorts, "Budnick and Michael Fake Being Sick". IMDB says it's season one, episode nine; unfortunately the only clip I've found is in everyone's favorite "handheld cellphone shot of somebody's laptop" format:

Completely expected the phone to be held vertically. Now I'm disappointed.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Crackmaster posted:

That's John Connor's friend from T2. Pretty sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X74PvB0aBNY

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

syscall girl posted:

That's John Connor's friend from T2. Pretty sure.

Yep, Danny Cooksey; speaking of whom, those among us of the '90s Nickelodeon persuasion may get a kick out of the music video for The XYZ Affair's "All My Friends":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IerHOrDQKW0

Dreamerdeceiver52
Nov 11, 2007

That's not it either, although it might be another movie to check out, cheers!

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Here's a gory gif of a scene from a movie. It's a dude just walking along and then he suddenly gets cut in half and the world moves around and cuts him into pieces. Any idea what movie it is?

e: vvvvv Ah, a short film. That solves that. Thank you.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 3, 2013

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

It's from this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NnqM7Ojcz8

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
That was it, thanks!

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

What movie set during some war has the protagonist go to this secret boot camp/spy training facility, but the guy in charge is some old hippie who wears a kimono and has them dance a lot for some reason? I think the boss was played by John Goodman, but looking at his imdb page didn't turn anything up.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

regularizer posted:

What movie set during some war has the protagonist go to this secret boot camp/spy training facility, but the guy in charge is some old hippie who wears a kimono and has them dance a lot for some reason? I think the boss was played by John Goodman, but looking at his imdb page didn't turn anything up.

Men Who Stare at Goats. It's Jeff Bridges.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
A movie with three scenes each shot in one take. The first scene is an apparent date between two people who met online. Eventually you realize they are planning a double suicide.

Heisanevilgenius
Sep 2, 2007

Heisanevilgenius posted:

There's an important man (I honestly don't remember what his deal was) and some criminals blackmail him by drugging his wife and then stripping her naked and taking pictures of her in uncompromising positions. They also rape her. After they send him copies of the photos and their threats, the wife arms herself with a shotgun and ultimately kills them.

I'm guessing this doesn't ring a bell for anyone. I wonder if it was a made-for-TV movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Okay, so I'm thinking of an old, mythological adventure movie that has a sequence where a ship has to sail past a cliff face, and inside the cliff face is a multi-headed serpent that starts picking off and eating the ship's crew members. It may be an adaptation of the Scylla and Charybdis story. I thought it was Jason and the Argonauts, but upon rewatching, the Hydra scene in that movie is nothing like that. I believe it's probably from the same era, though, and may feature Harryhausen-style claymation although looking through this list I couldn't find it. Anyone have any ideas?

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Okay, so I'm thinking of an old, mythological adventure movie that has a sequence where a ship has to sail past a cliff face, and inside the cliff face is a multi-headed serpent that starts picking off and eating the ship's crew members. It may be an adaptation of the Scylla and Charybdis story. I thought it was Jason and the Argonauts, but upon rewatching, the Hydra scene in that movie is nothing like that. I believe it's probably from the same era, though, and may feature Harryhausen-style claymation although looking through this list I couldn't find it. Anyone have any ideas?

Something from the Sinbad series, perhaps.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

It was a bit more recent but the made for TV Odyssey movie had cheap enough special effects. The scene in this adaptation sounds closer to what you're describing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpB3sOtmkhU

Heisanevilgenius
Sep 2, 2007

I'm not sure at all, but could it be this? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047630/?ref_=sr_2

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
This was a short film I saw in grammar school, late 70's. A young boy, about 10-12 years old carves a small wooden toy canoe with an Indian in it (one piece). The toy is maybe 18-24 inches long. I forget what name he gives to it, but let's just call him "River Traveler" for now. He painstakingly gives it a paintjob with small brushes like for models or a train set. He carves a groove down the center of the canoe lengthwise on the underside, and fills the groove with a heated liquid metal (solder maybe?) than then cools (for ballast). Also, he inscribes on the bottom "I am River Traveler, Please put me back in the water", so that the only way to read this inscription is if you actually picked it up. The boy maybe lives in Minnesota area, or somewhere north, with pine forests and snow. In mid-winter, he sets the toy near a riverbank, not directly in the water. When spring comes, the snow melts, and eventually River Traveler slides down to the water, and begins his journey. At one point another small boy spots the canoe, and retrieves it. When he shows it to his Dad, his Dad reads the inscription on the bottom, and encourages his son to place River Traveler back in the water, which he does, reluctantly. River Traveler makes his way to a commercial shipyard full of pollution, oil slicks and garbage, which erodes his very nice paintjob.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Nerdfest X posted:

This was a short film I saw in grammar school, late 70's. A young boy, about 10-12 years old carves a small wooden toy canoe with an Indian in it (one piece). The toy is maybe 18-24 inches long. I forget what name he gives to it, but let's just call him "River Traveler" for now. He painstakingly gives it a paintjob with small brushes like for models or a train set. He carves a groove down the center of the canoe lengthwise on the underside, and fills the groove with a heated liquid metal (solder maybe?) than then cools (for ballast). Also, he inscribes on the bottom "I am River Traveler, Please put me back in the water", so that the only way to read this inscription is if you actually picked it up. The boy maybe lives in Minnesota area, or somewhere north, with pine forests and snow. In mid-winter, he sets the toy near a riverbank, not directly in the water. When spring comes, the snow melts, and eventually River Traveler slides down to the water, and begins his journey. At one point another small boy spots the canoe, and retrieves it. When he shows it to his Dad, his Dad reads the inscription on the bottom, and encourages his son to place River Traveler back in the water, which he does, reluctantly. River Traveler makes his way to a commercial shipyard full of pollution, oil slicks and garbage, which erodes his very nice paintjob.

Paddle to the Sea.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Pretty sure this is it.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

penismightier posted:

Paddle to the Sea.

Thank you very much.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
I'm looking for a movie that I somehow maybe saw accidentally (I'm pretty sure on TV, whether it was VHS or not I honestly don't know), which terrified me as a young girl. So it'd have to be probably late 80s, very early 90s that I saw it.

This is going to be a huge shot in the dark because I only have a tiny bit stuck in my memory, but here goes.

I think the story was something vaguely Invasion of the Body Snatcher-y (but not that particular movie). I think it centered around a young blond boy. Either the opening or closing scene (or maybe quite possibly both, like the protagonist thought they were safe but it was starting all over again) involved the alien (?) ship (?) coming over the horizon and it looked like a huge ball with big spotlights on it.

I looked up the 1993 Body Snatchers movie thinking I might've hit upon it, but I watched a few clips (and can't get it on Netflix Instant to make sure) and it doesn't look like it either.

Oh lord, I know that's vague as hell but I would love to get a chance to see this thing again that stuck in my head as something that scared me so many years ago.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Sporkles posted:

I'm looking for a movie that I somehow maybe saw accidentally (I'm pretty sure on TV, whether it was VHS or not I honestly don't know), which terrified me as a young girl. So it'd have to be probably late 80s, very early 90s that I saw it.

This is going to be a huge shot in the dark because I only have a tiny bit stuck in my memory, but here goes.

I think the story was something vaguely Invasion of the Body Snatcher-y (but not that particular movie). I think it centered around a young blond boy. Either the opening or closing scene (or maybe quite possibly both, like the protagonist thought they were safe but it was starting all over again) involved the alien (?) ship (?) coming over the horizon and it looked like a huge ball with big spotlights on it.

I looked up the 1993 Body Snatchers movie thinking I might've hit upon it, but I watched a few clips (and can't get it on Netflix Instant to make sure) and it doesn't look like it either.

Oh lord, I know that's vague as hell but I would love to get a chance to see this thing again that stuck in my head as something that scared me so many years ago.

This sounds a lot like the 1986 version of Invaders from Mars.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

Origami Dali posted:

This sounds a lot like the 1986 version of Invaders from Mars.

Oh man, that is totally it, I knew within 5 seconds of seeing the little boy. And I can watch it all on youtube!

This is going to be hilarious, thank you so much! :)

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
This is a pretty strange request but here's a current picture of the lead singer of Sum 41: http://www.jadedpunk.com/post/52404859336/that-dude-from-sum-41-looks-great-these-days-by

He looks just like this one short blonde pudgy character actor from the 1980's or 90's that was in a movie where he had a dirty striped shirt and a newsboy cap. I can see him so clearly in my mind, but I can't remember the movie. I keep thinking he's in a Bill Murray movie, but I don't think it is. He played slowish characters. Anyone know who I'm talking about, or what the movie is?

Edit: Figured it out after racking my brain like crazy for a few hours. Michael J. Pollard, and the movie I was thinking of that he was in was Roxanne.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 8, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Glass Joe posted:

Pretty sure this is it.

I requested this from the library, we'll see if y'all are right.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Just posting to see if I've had my movie identified already. I don't want to waste everyone's time.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

I have one that's bugging me. It would of been a red box or Netflix avaliable movie because I saw it at home and don't have cable.

It takes place in the middle Ages in Europe, and I thought the lead character was Russell Crowe or Gerard Butler, but from looking through their filmographies apparently not.

It has to do with a man in the army quickly becomes a leader and helps fight against the invading forces.

I recall a scene in particular with a clearing in the middle of a forest with tall trees where the opposing army gets covered in fire, and possibly tar.

I feel that he was offered to be a general or successor to the king of some sort, but he declined because he was born to be a fighter not a politician.

Also, pretty sure it had the standard his wife/kid/family are dead.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

JackRabbitStorm posted:

I have one that's bugging me. It would of been a red box or Netflix avaliable movie because I saw it at home and don't have cable.

It takes place in the middle Ages in Europe, and I thought the lead character was Russell Crowe or Gerard Butler, but from looking through their filmographies apparently not.

It has to do with a man in the army quickly becomes a leader and helps fight against the invading forces.

I recall a scene in particular with a clearing in the middle of a forest with tall trees where the opposing army gets covered in fire, and possibly tar.

I feel that he was offered to be a general or successor to the king of some sort, but he declined because he was born to be a fighter not a politician.

Also, pretty sure it had the standard his wife/kid/family are dead.

It does sound an awful lot like Gladiator.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

therattle posted:

It does sound an awful lot like Gladiator.

Its been years since I've watched gladiator, maybe I'm just thinking it isn't it.

I may also be confusing parts of gladiator with this movie which is making it harder to identify.

I'll watch gladiator tomorrow to see if it's it. I just recall a lot more of ambushes and fights in the woods, which I didn't think gladiator had.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The first half hour of Gladiator is a huge battle against a Germanic tribe in forests, down to jars of pitch hitting trees and lighting them on fire.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Couple lines of dialogue that are stuck in my head. 80s or 90s movie, probably action, scene is where main character (white guy) is getting ignored or bad customer service from minor character (black guy)

Main char: You're very good at your job (dryly sarcastic)
Minor char: I know this.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Its been years since I've watched gladiator, maybe I'm just thinking it isn't it.

I may also be confusing parts of gladiator with this movie which is making it harder to identify.

I'll watch gladiator tomorrow to see if it's it. I just recall a lot more of ambushes and fights in the woods, which I didn't think gladiator had.
echoing therattle and HUNDU THE BEAST GOD but that really does sound like a plot synopsis for Gladiator you posted, though there were some low budget cash in things following it and that King Arthur film with Clive Owen a few years back that looked similiar.

anyway, here's that forest scene from Gladiator though, pretty much exactly as you described it, right down to enemy guy getting caught on fire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spvSw-wR6qg

though guys get covered in tar in Braveheart too, and there's a number of similaries in the plots too.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

Couple lines of dialogue that are stuck in my head. 80s or 90s movie, probably action, scene is where main character (white guy) is getting ignored or bad customer service from minor character (black guy)

Main char: You're very good at your job (dryly sarcastic)
Minor char: I know this.

Falling Down?

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Chewy Bitems posted:

echoing therattle and HUNDU THE BEAST GOD but that really does sound like a plot synopsis for Gladiator you posted, though there were some low budget cash in things following it and that King Arthur film with Clive Owen a few years back that looked similiar.

anyway, here's that forest scene from Gladiator though, pretty much exactly as you described it, right down to enemy guy getting caught on fire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spvSw-wR6qg

though guys get covered in tar in Braveheart too, and there's a number of similaries in the plots too.
Yeah I was watching Braveheart last night and that's what got me thinking about this movie. After watching the clip you posted I was thinking of gladiator, as soon as I saw the dog I knew for sure.

Now I feel like a retard, but thanks guys.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

syscall girl posted:

Falling Down?

I don't think so, I thought it was an action movie. Maybe, though -- will have to rewatch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Yeah I was watching Braveheart last night and that's what got me thinking about this movie. After watching the clip you posted I was thinking of gladiator, as soon as I saw the dog I knew for sure.

Now I feel like a retard, but thanks guys.

It's okay, now you get to kill two and a half hours.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Trying to find the name of a movie my dad remembers, but absolutely nothing he's given me is anywhere online or even close to a movie's synopsis. What he's given me goes something like this:

It's just at the end of the first World War, and the U.S. military is doing away with horses used in the war by digging a long trench, lining up the horses, and shooting them all at once with some sort of Gatling gun to fall into the mass grave trench. A guy (played by one of the 873 Baldwin Brothers, as my dad remembers) sees this atrocity, lassoes away the Gatling gun, and somehow manages to escape with the remaining horses. He goes around a few states trying to find them a new home, but nobody wants old war horses, so he somehow ends up in Canada befriending and making negotiations with a member of the North-West Mounted Police to take the horses. All the while, there is also a newspaper reporter following this guy and his horses around to get some sort of scoop on what he's doing. Also, George C. Scott supposedly plays a general, but there is nothing anywhere that he played a general in a movie like this, and I think my dad is just misremembering one of his other general roles.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

You Are A Elf posted:

Trying to find the name of a movie my dad remembers, but absolutely nothing he's given me is anywhere online or even close to a movie's synopsis. What he's given me goes something like this:

HORSES!

Sounds like either your Dad imagined the most American film ever made or he saw this:

In Pursuit of Honor - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Pursuit_of_Honor

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

penismightier posted:

Paddle to the Sea.

The book is really, really wonderful too. My grandmother used to read it to me, as well as all of the author's other books. They're great. Amazon will let you take a peek at some of them: http://www.amazon.com/Holling-Clancy-Holling/e/B001H6S8RI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Chewy Bitems posted:

Sounds like your Dad imagined the most American film ever

Pretty much. I kept telling him absolutely nothing would come up in any searches of any plot or actors he mentioned, but he insisted it was what it was. I was expecting the movie to be called "AMERICA (and to a lesser extent, Canada), loving HORSES, YEAH! THE MOVIE!", but I'll pass this off to him because that sounds like it. Thank you, Chewy :tipshat: