Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Seymour Butts posted:

Ugh, scorpion is so loving lame. I hate Ed Boon and his twitter.

Do I NEED to link you to the hateraid picture?

Ed Boon is a nerd hero and this amazing game wouldn't exist without him. How dare you.

On topic, has anyone ran into a Scorp online yet that didn't suck? Because honestly all of them are so bad it's incredible. Scorpion's teleport is equivalent to SFIV' Kenryuken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Please tell me this means that they won't be adding Red Hood (ever).

Also, Batman's universe is the DC universe so I guess Sub-Zero is confirmed.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

gannyGrabber posted:

Do I NEED to link you to the hateraid picture?

Ed Boon is a nerd hero and this amazing game wouldn't exist without him. How dare you.

On topic, has anyone ran into a Scorp online yet that didn't suck? Because honestly all of them are so bad it's incredible. Scorpion's teleport is equivalent to SFIV' Kenryuken.

I'm not convinced.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Scorpion is fun, though. His throw animation is badass. His unique clash interactions are worth the season pass, as corny as most of his lines are.

Plus they did a great Batgirl. So I'm looking forward to Zod and friends.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Scorpion is fun, though. His throw animation is badass. His unique clash interactions are worth the season pass, as corny as most of his lines are.

Plus they did a great Batgirl. So I'm looking forward to Zod and friends.

I switched my main from Superman to Batgirl, she's so fun to play. I may be jumping the gun since I've never actually played Scorpion (I have the season pass), but I just really hate the idea of Scorpion being in this game. Then again, I absolutely hated Freddy in MK9, can I blame Boon for that as well?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Who cares if he fits or not? It's not like they shoehorned him in to the story mode.

There was no guarantee that it would have been a character you liked more instead. I'm sure people would have just bitched about whoever it was.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

There was a previous crossover game, and both franchises are owned by the same parent company, so it's like MK is just another Earth in the DC multiverse.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Blast Fantasto posted:

I'm sure people would have just bitched about whoever it was.

I think people aren't so much mad that he doesn't fit, just that an actual DC character more people really would've wanted were passed up in favor of him.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

I think people aren't so much mad that he doesn't fit, just that an actual DC character more people really would've wanted were passed up in favor of him.

I'm curious, was there this much outrage over Freddy being in MK9?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Fibby Boy posted:

Yeah, there was definitely just as much complaining.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't mind him in the game and will use him once in a while but I would have liked to see another DC character even one who isn't so well known or is so rediculious as a "Why the hell did the pick that character?" choice. "Egg Fu" would have been hilarious and could have been this games MODOK.

Edit:

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 7, 2013

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

AndyElusive posted:

His unique clash interactions are worth the season pass, as corny as most of his lines are.

"Grundy kill you dead!"
"Fatality!"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Don't get me wrong though. It's still stupid Scorpion is in the game. But it's the fun kind of stupid. I don't know what his tournament tier ranking will be, though. I'll wager a guess: Higher than Lobo and Bane.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't mind him in the game and will use him once in a while but I would have liked to see another DC character even one who isn't so well known or is so rediculious as a "Why the hell did the pick that character?" choice. "Egg Fu" would have been hilarious and could have been this games MODOK.

Edit:

So what was inside the racist stereotype egg man, anyway? Did Wonder Woman find out?

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 7, 2013

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

So what was inside the racist stereotype egg man, anyway? Did Wonder Woman find out?

I think its just goo inside of him. I'd have to figure out where my #600 Wonder Woman was too see. I think they removed the mustache and was a little less racest in that issue though from when he was conceived.

Honestly though I don't remember any story explaining why he was a mustachioed egg to begin with other than the racial stereotype.

Edit: Yep, he is definitely filled with egg yolk, or at least bleeds it.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 7, 2013

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

WarEternal posted:

Yeah, there was definitely just as much complaining.

And for some reason he had two gloves on :confused:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Seymour Butts posted:

And for some reason he had two gloves on :confused:

I think the two gloves was because they couldn't have him be asymmetrical with their pointless stance switching thing.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Because they didn't want to animate two different sides every time you stance swapped if I'm not mistaken.
I've hit a wall with this game, I just can't do complicated combos at all, anything over three moves is impossible so I just do my best to spam and put myself in favorable positions.
I win sometimes and I feel like I have a good grasp of the game but it kinds sucks not being able to do cool looking combos.
Also I hope Zod is cool and they they extend the story mode with season 2.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Sounds like just another reason why he shouldn't have been put in :smug:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Freddy's honestly one of the reasons I even got Mortal Kombat. :v:

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Awesome Andy posted:

Because they didn't want to animate two different sides every time you stance swapped if I'm not mistaken.
I've hit a wall with this game, I just can't do complicated combos at all, anything over three moves is impossible so I just do my best to spam and put myself in favorable positions.
I win sometimes and I feel like I have a good grasp of the game but it kinds sucks not being able to do cool looking combos.

What kind of trouble are you having with the combos?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Seymour Butts posted:

Sounds like just another reason why he shouldn't have been put in :smug:

Guest characters are the best and I'm upset we didn't get Freakazoid in this game.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think the two gloves was because they couldn't have him be asymmetrical with their pointless stance switching thing.

Every single 2D fighting game is like this, where characters will have things switch from left to right depending on which side of the screen they're on.

Awesome Andy posted:

I see posts like this and frown that I can't sit down in person and show you how things work. I can't even get any of my friends to play FGs with me even though I find them simple to explain, it's a sad state of affairs!

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 7, 2013

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

WarEternal posted:

Every single 2D fighting game is like this, where characters will have things switch from left to right depending on which side of the screen they're on.

Yeah, but it also looks really dumb with stuff like Vega's claw in SF4.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I understand about let's say Vega's claw switching hands depending on which side of the screen he's on, but that doesn't explain why Freddy had two claws. I just blame it on the switch stance button which really does nothing except screw up combos that are stance specific.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

WarEternal posted:

I see posts like this and frown that I can't sit down in person and show you how things work. I can't even get any of my friends to play FGs with me even though I find them simple to explain, it's a sad state of affairs!

Well yeah explaining games is easy. Problem is getting said person to grasp the mechanics. I know full well how the mechanics in this game works. Doesn't mean I can get the basics down.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Uploaded a vid just of me playing some ranked matches with Bane and talking mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLm3y9BciHs

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Fibby Boy posted:

Yes, and he ended up being the top-selling DLC character.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Yardbomb posted:

Not even that to me. Freddy being in MK9 basically opened up the realm of possibility to any character from an IP owned by WB and what we got was a guy who was in the last game Netterrealm made. If I wanted to play as Scorpion I'd just boot up MK9. His moveset is tweaked only slightly too so it comes off as extra lazy.

tl;dr I want Beetlejuice in the game, WB.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Toady posted:

Yes, and he ended up being the top-selling DLC character.

I imagine that was also partially because he was loving ridiculous when he came out. I can't remember how much exactly, but he could really easily combo you for an enormous amount of health.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
If we're getting into WB territory then I want Netherrealm to make a MR Loony Tunes fighting game.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Nice video, jmcrofts. It's fun watching good players in ranked matches.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

SyRauk posted:

If we're getting into WB territory then I want Netherrealm to make a MR Loony Tunes fighting game.

A Looney Tunes fighting game would be the best thing ever.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Just imagine the clash dialogue.

"Rabbit season."
"Duck season, fire!"

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Jmcrofts posted:

Uploaded a vid just of me playing some ranked matches with Bane and talking mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLm3y9BciHs

I like this video, but you should get the rest of the costumes because Knightfall is the best.

Unrelated question: I've been browsing TestYourMight and I see references to "Vortex"s.. vortices? What is a vortex? Is it character specific (Batgirl in this case) or is it a technique that is common to fighting games that I just don't know about yet.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So what's a cross up, exactly? I feel like I might understand but some terminology is still just flying over my head :v:

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

S.J. posted:

So what's a cross up, exactly? I feel like I might understand but some terminology is still just flying over my head :v:

An attack that is ambiguous with which side it hits on. Something that didn't really exist in previous NRS games because they had a block button so you didn't need to figure out what direction to block.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Only if Michael Jordan is DLC.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Okay, that's pretty much what I thought. Thanks.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

S.J. posted:

You have to hold back to block attacks in most 2D fighters (in Injustice crouch blocking is a special case), but if you're holding left while you're on the left side and suddenly your opponent jumps just far enough over your head to swap you to the right side, you need to hold right to block the attack or you'll get hit. These become ambiguous when the attack lands so close to the swapping point that it's difficult to tell which way you need to block it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Foodahn posted:

Unrelated question: I've been browsing TestYourMight and I see references to "Vortex"s.. vortices? What is a vortex? Is it character specific (Batgirl in this case) or is it a technique that is common to fighting games that I just don't know about yet.

It's usually character specific, but it's when a character can force you into blocking high or low and/or guess which side to block over and over. While most characters can do this to some degree, vortex setups are generally inescapable to some degree until you guess right.

• Locked thread