Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Umbra Dubium posted:

You find a classic helmet with an intact chinstrap and we'll talk. :colbert:

:smith:

Every time I dig through my Lego and see a piece that I destroyed as a kid (for no good reason at all) I wish I had a time machine so I could tell 8 year old me to stop being a poo poo. :( It was usually chinstraps, hoses, and plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have maybe a 10 classic space dudes in varying states of decay.. a couple "good" ones but most of them have cracked armpits or worn decals. Chinstraps are about 50/50.

Which I'm fine with as I don't try to hoard minifigs, but I had so many as a kid and to have so few survivors is a little disappointing. Worst thing I ever did with my collection was to let my mom use it in her classroom.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Umbra Dubium posted:

You find a classic helmet with an intact chinstrap and we'll talk. :colbert:

:smith:

Desk crew says hi! :v:

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Sloppy posted:

Desk crew says hi! :v:

Nice 6950 Mobile Rocket Transport in the back there. I just dug my childhood Legos out of my parents garage and am reconstructing several of my classic space sets including the 6950. Just waiting on a few parts I had to order. Most of my minifigures are intact with just the normal wear on the chest graphic, except for one or two who had a chest cover on which preserved them in nearly perfect condition.

Also trying to reconstruct some Blacktron sets. I have 6894 Invader 98% complete, but can't figure out which other sets I had. I think one of them is 6876 Alienator based on the pieces I have but still have two extra minifigures. Thinking my mom may have picked up some legos at a yardsale with random blacktron pieces included.

This is about the condition of most of my Classic Space minifigs.

Blacktron Invader

Modular is was so awesome with these sets.

ltr fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 6, 2013

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

ltr posted:

Nice 6950 Mobile Rocket Transport in the back there. I just dug my childhood Legos out of my parents garage and am reconstructing several of my classic space sets including the 6950. Just waiting on a few parts I had to order. Most of my minifigures are intact with just the normal wear on the chest graphic, except for one or two who had a chest cover on which preserved them in nearly perfect condition.

Also trying to reconstruct some Blacktron sets. I have 6894 Invader 98% complete, but can't figure out which other sets I had. I think one of them is 6876 Alienator based on the pieces I have but still have two extra minifigures. Thinking my mom may have picked up some legos at a yardsale with random blacktron pieces included.

Thanks, it's hands-down my favorite classic space set and the only one that stays out of the storage bin permanently. Do you have the funky yellow hinges? I had to sub the modern kind because I'm not purist enough to pay ~$5 each for them on Bricklink. For the Blacktron, there was this tiny set, maybe you have a pair of them?

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=1875-1

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Sloppy posted:

Thanks, it's hands-down my favorite classic space set and the only one that stays out of the storage bin permanently. Do you have the funky yellow hinges? I had to sub the modern kind because I'm not purist enough to pay ~$5 each for them on Bricklink. For the Blacktron, there was this tiny set, maybe you have a pair of them?

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=1875-1

I don't have the original yellow hinges, so mine will have the modern ones too. My entire parts list that I needed was around $2 so no way I'm spending $5 each on those pieces. I don't think I had that Blacktron because I have not seen the black wings or white motor pieces in my box of parts.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

ltr posted:

I don't have the original yellow hinges, so mine will have the modern ones too. My entire parts list that I needed was around $2 so no way I'm spending $5 each on those pieces. I don't think I had that Blacktron because I have not seen the black wings or white motor pieces in my box of parts.

Do you have any Space Police I? Those sets also came with Blacktron figs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blacktron is my favorite series ever. :allears:

Unfortunately I can't build any of the sets anymore because as stated previously, my collection spent years in a classroom and drat near everything of value was pilfered by grubby kids. I still have all the instructions though.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
This guy, right here:

Especially when paired with a cutlas. There were monkey knife fights aboard my Black Seas Barracuda.

E: And, Blacktron was by far my favorite line. Look at that.

He's all smiles until you put the visor down. Then it's go time.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Dr. Benway posted:

This guy, right here:

Especially when paired with a cutlas. There were monkey knife fights aboard my Black Seas Barracuda.

E: And, Blacktron was by far my favorite line. Look at that.

He's all smiles until you put the visor down. Then it's go time.

I just miss the old faces. :smith: Every single one nowadays is either a victim looking victimized or a heroic (or villainous) smugface. Just give me a blank ol' yellow face and let me put my own personality on it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

rickiep00h posted:

I just miss the old faces. :smith: Every single one nowadays is either a victim looking victimized or a heroic (or villainous) smugface. Just give me a blank ol' yellow face and let me put my own personality on it.

Check out the modular lines. They all have classic faces, I think. It makes the figures look quite sociopathic, which I kind of find endearing.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Smilies are the pod people in Legoland.

e: I love the detailed expressions personally and it's strange to me when other people don't. Do you dislike new hairstyles too?

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 7, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Futuron was pretty good too. :colbert:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Lizard Combatant posted:

e: I love the detailed expressions personally and it's strange to me when other people don't. Do you dislike new hairstyles too?

I like the detail in the faces but the facial expressions themselves can get a little over the top sometimes. My struggle now, for diorama and display purposes, is fleshy or yellow??

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My favorite minifigure is the evil wizard from the Fantasy Era skeleton castle. But Lord Vampyre is up there.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Saint Sputnik posted:

I like the detail in the faces but the facial expressions themselves can get a little over the top sometimes. My struggle now, for diorama and display purposes, is fleshy or yellow??

Fair enough. I used to hate the facial expressions until they settled on a consistent style. I think they've got them just right now, white highlights for the eyes and face lines. Remember the bizarre noses some figs had? The awful early Harry Potter faces or the weird Anime eyes? Outside of Clone Wars nonsense, I think they've found a nice equilibrium of minimalist detail.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Fair enough. I used to hate the facial expressions until they settled on a consistent style. I think they've got them just right now, white highlights for the eyes and face lines. Remember the bizarre noses some figs had? The awful early Harry Potter faces or the weird Anime eyes? Outside of Clone Wars nonsense, I think they've found a nice equilibrium of minimalist detail.

The native figures in the Western line had that the worst, I don't even know what they were thinking

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I'm not really sure what my favorite classic minifigure is (I really liked the aliens from the UFO line, the monkey from the pirate sets, and Johnny Motherfuckin' Thunder), but my favorite collectible minifig is probably this guy:

I really liked the Armada line as a kid (all of the pirates and soldiers sort of blended together, except for the redcoats and bluecoats), but none of the minifigures from that line were standout. This guy right here, though...

I'm also just a sucker for that armor piece. It looks pretty nice on the CMF Knight as well.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I would have to say the monkey would be on top of my list too, since I have a few of them from the mid 90s pirate ships and navy ships. For an actual mini figure I would have to say Gandalf wins hands down, with Davey Jones from the Pirates series coming in second. Both of those guys have some great details, nice paint, great beards and are amazing and easily recognizable display items.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Rythe posted:

I would have to say the monkey would be on top of my list too, since I have a few of them from the mid 90s pirate ships and navy ships. For an actual mini figure I would have to say Gandalf wins hands down, with Davey Jones from the Pirates series coming in second. Both of those guys have some great details, nice paint, great beards and are amazing and easily recognizable display items.

Really? I think Gandalf is probably the weakest figure in the whole LotR line. Without his hair he's completely unrecognizable, he just looks like some old dude.

Are monkeys even possible to get anymore? They were the best minifig. I remember how excited I was when I got my first pirate ship with one on it.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
Brickbeard. Peg leg, hook, red beard, eye patch, pirate hat with skull and crossbones.

Easily my favorite fig. Whenever I pretend I'm still 8 and have LEGO battles he can always easily defeat any space marine using just his cutlass and flintlock pistol.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lizard Combatant posted:

Which hairstyles? I love the bald skullcap on the Series 10 newspaper guy, if that means anything.

For licensed minifigs, I'd have to go with Emperor Palpatine. I got one with the Palpatine's shuttle set (the one with Horribly Deformed Anakin). After that, probably Davy Jones. He's one of the few figs I bought an entire set for. Luckily, it was a badass set on its own.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Pirate Ken posted:

Brickbeard. Peg leg, hook, red beard, eye patch, pirate hat with skull and crossbones.

Easily my favorite fig. Whenever I pretend I'm still 8 and have LEGO battles he can always easily defeat any space marine using just his cutlass and flintlock pistol.

Wasn't he called Redbeard back in the day?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

rickiep00h posted:

Which hairstyles? I love the bald skullcap on the Series 10 newspaper guy, if that means anything.

I meant more that detailed facial expressions are just an improvement in technology. Every lego figure used to have the same hairstyle too, you could argue that the new styles also impede your imagination. It's not an important point or anything, I'm just a fan of the new look figures. That said, I am a purist and wouldn't put new heads on classic space bodies or anything.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Duck of Death posted:

Brickbeard is a different guy, I think.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Any pirate minifig with a hook and a peg leg is the best.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Some of the Chima black bird mini-figs have peg-legs and hooks. Bird pirates?
My favorite would be either the old Pirate captain (I think that's Redbeard) The later pirate captains just haven't been the same. Maybe its the green cravat?

Then there's the friggin' UFO aliens. I never had this one, but he was clearly the coolest:

Not to mention they had transparent heads. AWESOME.

I've also got to give a shout-out to the Atlantis line's monsters- I bought a set for the squid-dude (worth it) and the little crab-man is kind of adorable. They're very unique and some of my favorite nonhuman minifig design.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
The microfigs that show up in the Lego board games are pretty sweet.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

My favorite would be either the old Pirate captain (I think that's Redbeard) The later pirate captains just haven't been the same. Maybe its the green cravat?

Then there's the friggin' UFO aliens. I never had this one, but he was clearly the coolest:

I've also got to give a shout-out to the Atlantis line's monsters- I bought a set for the squid-dude (worth it) and the little crab-man is kind of adorable. They're very unique and some of my favorite nonhuman minifig design.

Pretty sure there was a glow in the dark minifig in one of the ufo aliens sets.

There was also a pretty cool red/blue sticker and a supplied red/blue viewer of some sort too.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Sloppy posted:

Do you have any Space Police I? Those sets also came with Blacktron figs.

No Space Police I either. I've got the 4 Blacktrons, 1 Futuron, and about 8 classic space minifigures. After spending a little time going through some of the more unique pieces, I'm sure that some my old Legos were from a yardsale purchase. There are too many pieces that are used in only a couple sets without other corresponding pieces to make it possible that I had it. I've got two of http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/4474 in solid blue which are only in 3 sets and no other pieces to really match up for sets, etc... Plus I don't have much of a memory of any of those sets. The Mobile Rocket Launcher I definitely remember building, plus the large percentage of pieces I had when I started going through a parts list. There were also half a dozen other sets I've seen online that I know I had so I think I would remember a big robot guy or spaceship for the blue cockpits.

Maybe after I'm done with the Mobile Rocket Transport, I'll see what else I can put back together with minimal expense.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Joramun posted:

New Ewok Village set. :magical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXE5KYeHGDc

I didn't know how much I need this in my life.

£200! mental

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Heh, interesting how so many seem to love Redbeard, that may be my favourite fig as well. I guess he was really detailed before any other minifigs were.

I also would have loved to have one of those UFO aliens, don't like the shoulder pads but that helmet is awesome.

Here's one I really like:

One of my first sets and one the first sets with that helmet and visor, if I'm not mistaken. Ghost was cool, too.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Heh, interesting how so many seem to love Redbeard, that may be my favourite fig as well. I guess he was really detailed before any other minifigs were.

I also would have loved to have one of those UFO aliens, don't like the shoulder pads but that helmet is awesome.

One of my first sets and one the first sets with that helmet and visor, if I'm not mistaken. Ghost was cool, too.

I think this was the first set I ever got, I loved that knight.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

The Duck of Death posted:

Ah drat, you're right. I got his name confused with the newer Pirates captain. But I meant the old guy from 1989. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I wish I had my childhood lego with me right now so I could show you how wrong you are.

Also I bought some set that came with a halloween mask of their helmets. WIsh I still had that.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

I still have that set complete set up with my the rest of my Kingdoms sets. I think I even have the instructions at my mom's house somewhere.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lizard Combatant posted:

I meant more that detailed facial expressions are just an improvement in technology. Every lego figure used to have the same hairstyle too, you could argue that the new styles also impede your imagination. It's not an important point or anything, I'm just a fan of the new look figures. That said, I am a purist and wouldn't put new heads on classic space bodies or anything.

I just wish the old faces came on more sets. v:v:v

I don't mind the new ones on particularly story-driven sets or whatever, but I'd like to see more generic faces in, say, the City line or something. Obviously it's not a dealbreaker or anything, but I'd like something to break up the same overdone cartoonish faces. Which is ironic, I'm sure, because that's probably what people were saying about adding more expressive faces.

In any case, I'll still buy the things, and they do come in handy for making specific scenes.

Non-minifig talk:

I finally used my $20 credit from (regrettably) buying SimCity from Amazon... on An Unexpected Gathering. I couldn't believe how they packed 650 pieces into such a small volume. I love the main window, I love the door, I love the food and the dwarves and the landscaping and everything. I feel foolish for waiting this long to pick it up. (On the other hand, I feel awesome for getting it for ~$35.)

If you don't have it, get it!

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Those vacant-stare smile faces are still used in the Modular Building series!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Koramei posted:

Really? I think Gandalf is probably the weakest figure in the whole LotR line. Without his hair he's completely unrecognizable, he just looks like some old dude.

Are monkeys even possible to get anymore? They were the best minifig. I remember how excited I was when I got my first pirate ship with one on it.

There's one in that banana tree game, you could probably find it cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I had completely forgotten how bad rear end the Redbeard pirate mini figure is, he came with my very first ever Lego set when I was around 10 years old.

I had forgotten the name of this set but it was a old pirate hideaway island and to top it all off it came with the awesome monkey.