Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Even if Ed survives becoming ill, the only thing holding that man together is his red hat, the hope meeting the 'bait shop lady' again, and indefinite wealth of his knowledge on TV trivia.

Edit: The drunk skill tree for alcoholic characters is the best. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

Yes seriously, what the gently caress? I came here to post the exact same thing. They must take 20 shots and they just kill you if you try to melee them. That abandoned mansion mission is feeling like the final nail in the coffin for me on this game.

I literally just stood at the window and pumped high powered revolver .44s into his head. It was really quite easy.

So far I've only lost one person, and they were at the garage enclave and not with the church group.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

I'm proud to report my Ed is a murder machine and general backup survivor after the very first guy you're given. It doesn't take long to level up fighting to 4 and that takes care of the HP issues. Plus he has good reflexes that let him take the Sweep Y ability which is amazing. I wish I gave him heavy weapon speciality instead of blades but with sweep he is a monster anyway.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I took forever to go get the Doc, and got lucky with the big zombie not pathing correctly, so I just shot him with about 30 9mm rounds until he died. Ed survived, too, to my surprise.

I was hoping there'd actually be more resource starvation than there is. My supply locker at the church has more ammunition than makes sense.

I really thought itd be more like, "we found some sardines, lets ration them."

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Heavy weapons really aren't worth the trouble it seems, they force you to use way too much stamina for too little gain. I have Marcus using edged weapons and he's such a killing machine that most if not all my edged weapons are in desperate need of repair.

Also from the patchnotes: tying things to real world timers is rather annoying.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Minor thing that took me a while to figure out, so I might as well mention it: For stealth kills, the surest way seems to be to hold down the left bumper, and only tap Y when you're right up on the zombie. Tapping both at the same time just made me kick them a little bit.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just had my first survivor die and it was...Alan! He was the one who wanted to kill a Big Bastard out in the wild, and while we both fought it tooth and nail, he ultimately got ripped in half just as the thing finally died. :patriot:

In the meantime, Maya and another girl are missing, which I hope they return since Maya been getting most of the usage and was only being rested at the time.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think I hit my first big game breaking bug, kinda surprised it took so long considering how jank everything else is. Got one of those missions where you have to completely search an entire building, except one of the hotspots didn't light up so I couldn't fill the meter to finish the mission.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Heavy weapons really aren't worth the trouble it seems, they force you to use way too much stamina for too little gain. I have Marcus using edged weapons and he's such a killing machine that most if not all my edged weapons are in desperate need of repair.
You want to spec heavy weapons on a character with Powerhouse or Reflexes, for the less stamina draining attacks or faster stamina recharge respectively. I can mash pretty hard on my Marcus without having to worry too much about stamina, and if I do run out he can always suplex and piledrive things :unsmigghh:

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
Is there a way to de-outpost a building or otherwise reset them? I initially took the Treehouse base and maxed my outposts in the neighborhood, but I moved to the bigger garage base and want to re-place my outposts more strategically in the new area. The wiki doesn't mention anything about it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

T3hRen3gade posted:

Is there a way to de-outpost a building or otherwise reset them? I initially took the Treehouse base and maxed my outposts in the neighborhood, but I moved to the bigger garage base and want to re-place my outposts more strategically in the new area. The wiki doesn't mention anything about it.

I remember seeing a option to remove them when looking at the HQ placement menu. I would select the outpost on the page and it had the information on what that outpost had and a option to remove it.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

T3hRen3gade posted:

When managing your main base on the journal, you can move down to the bottom row of icons that represents your outposts. One minor flaw, though; it doesn't show which is which on the map, so they're all generically designated as "House" or "Gun Shop". Makes it ~really~ hard if you can't figure out which one you actually want to remove. :ohdear:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Mishandled Firearm

It just went off!

-5 :mad:

Stop shooting each other you pack of ding dongs!

It happened four times in one day.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
Thanks for the outpost info, worked like a charm. I am bad at navigating these menus. :sigh:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

God drat, why are my survivors constantly going missing? It seems like as soon as I get a mission to find one missing survivor, another one fucks off on his own. Stick together, you jerks :argh:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

404notfound posted:

God drat, why are my survivors constantly going missing? It seems like as soon as I get a mission to find one missing survivor, another one fucks off on his own. Stick together, you jerks :argh:

Check your notes, usually lists a reason why someone went missing, otherwise...

Dr.Oblivious posted:

...hordes can scare your NPCs (who are scavaging) into hiding which causes them to become 'missing' which mean there's a chance they'll never be found again or even killed!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is there any way to kind of team up with another surviver from your base? I have a couple of infestations I need to take out but I'm not that comfortable doing them on my own.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Oh Christ alive, I just invited a female former-athlete alcoholic cosplayer with the personality of "psychopath" into my group without knowing.

What the hell, State of Decay.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of the guys who was at the Church when I got there has the attribute of "Scary Santa."

dunc-uk
Jul 27, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

Is there any way to kind of team up with another surviver from your base? I have a couple of infestations I need to take out but I'm not that comfortable doing them on my own.

This is answered in the OP... in short, no there isn't but you can generally lead any NPCs that join you for a mission (e.g. hunting special zombies) wherever you like.

This is probably my main complaint about the game so far, I would like this option. I feel that if this were implemented there should be a trade-off to prevent a squad from being overpowered. For example, an increased chance of alerting hoardes, stealth being impossible, all party members tiring at the same rate regardless of their number*, maybe NPCs doing annoying stuff based on their personality traits.

I've not tried taking down an infestation yet, but there are two big ones near my church base. However, I'm short on healthy survivors as it is, I'd rather take them all for an all-or-nothing assault than get them killed off one by one as I figure out how to do it. I've already lost the starting guy to a hoarde I stupidly ignored. :(

*e.g. a party of 3 only lasts a third of the time as the three used individually.

dunc-uk fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 7, 2013

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

You can't do this on your own initiative, which sucks, but sometimes one of your survivors will arm up and head out on an infestation-clearing mission themselves and you can choose to join them, letting you clear it as a team instead of alone. It's kind of silly, they can take you along but you can't take them along.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just got the Badass achievement with Marcus. :smug:

Lost a survivor because I loaded up on the wrong caliber of ammunition for her rifle. :smith:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you have a gun equiped the valid ammo will look different on the stash screen.

Cerebral Wolf
Jun 20, 2008
I lost 3 survivors to this game last night because I wanted to kill a big bastard.

One was Ed and one was Sam but I can't remember who the 3rd was. I was really starting to like Sam too, she was really fast getting about from point to point if only she'd been trained better for combat stuff first...

I'm loving this game so far though. Just moved out the church into the house near by rather than in the next town because I want to claim everything before I move on.

Anyone know what the biggest place is you can have for a base?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
So, I found out that if you buddy up to the group of survivors run by the Judge and the Sheriff, they'll let you radio in a SWAT team to back you up when needed. :getin: Three dudes, all with nice guns. I've used them to clear out two infestations so far. The only problem is that they only stick around a while, and you only get two uses which then take a long-rear end time to recharge.

e: I think the reason you can't voluntarily take friendly survivors on infestation-clearing missions is because the AI for your fellow survivors can be really, really, really dumb. Three times in a row now, I've helped friendlies with their infestation-clearing missions, and three times, they've ended up seriously wounded and pissed at me because, after I threw a petrol bomb, they then proceeded to run directly into the raging fire to stab the burning zombies inside it - including one who is now gravely wounded and near-death because of it.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 7, 2013

Cerebral Wolf
Jun 20, 2008
The army let's me call I arty strikes which can be helpful.

What's the best way to recruit groups of survivors?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

If you have a gun equiped the valid ammo will look different on the stash screen.

I was in a rush OK. :v:

What happens when you run out of certain resources anyway?

e; goddammit, you stupid, stupid bastard Alan. You put all that loving pressure on me about killing other party members then grimly accept it when we have to do the same with you. I feel awful. :smith:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 7, 2013

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fibby Boy posted:

Welp maya is dead. Fatty fat tits zombie ate me because the half witted people I was helping decided putting up barricades was more important than helping me kill poo poo.
If you're talking about the Wilkersons misson, yep, that sucks. I barely got through it alive with Marcus, but I did it. Here's my tips:

- Raid their ammo and molotovs. Use it all.
- Headshot as many zombies as you can before the fatty shows up, but save a few mags for when he does.
- The fatty's method of entering the house is teleporting through the door without opening it. Don't be near it.
- Don't gently caress around, unload all your ammo into him as fast as possible, and hit him with at least 1 molotov before he's in range to hurt you.
- Try to lure him near the Wilkerson guy, but don't expect him to help out much other than being a distraction. He really, really likes putting up those barricades.
- B-roll. B-roll. B-ROLL.
- Be ready for a second round. You have to face two of them.

What I've found works best in this game is horde like crazy until you run into a special zombie - and then unload EVERYTHING. They are what your hording has been preparing for.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 7, 2013

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Last night I got a random missing survivor mission but it was another camp's survivor, not ours. I helped them out, we found the dude, and it turned out the guy wanted us to kill him. His friend and him were debating his decision while I was clanging around, loudly searching a toolbox, which attracted a horde.

The dude and I start fighting the horde while his friend cowers in a corner wanting us to shoot him. He calls out "zombies coming straight ahead!" but doesn't help fight at all. It's not looking good for us, there's a screamer in the mix, and I've got a new survivor with barely any skills. The dude I'm helping eventually gets overwhelmed and downed. I don't remember his last words but he goes out with a bang, literally blowing himself up with a grenade.

I lose morale points because the explosion hurt the dude that wanted us to kill him.

With the explosion, all the zombies are now dead, and this dude who wants to die is still alive and his friend who wanted to live is now dead. All because he didn't help us. I left him there, alive, with his buddies gibbed corpse.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

- Be ready for a second round. You have to face two of them.

I saw the 2nd one wandering up the path, and had zero ammo and firebombs left and no reputation so thought I was screwed. Then the dude on the second floor ends up headshotting him and he drops instantly. :v:

MikeRabsitch fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 7, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So, uh, my second baddest rear end is a complete, total drunk who's primary skill is Beer Pong. :wtc:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Three questions:

ETA on the patch?

How do I raise morale? I can't until after the patch due to infestations but I'll need to afterwards, it's nearly 0%.

Anyone able to marathon this? I play for an hour to two hours and need a break. I don't know why, but it's hard to play longer and I would be forcing myself to play it, substantially lowering the fun. Weird because I'm super enjoying it so far.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

poptart_fairy posted:

So, uh, my second baddest rear end is a complete, total drunk who's primary skill is Beer Pong. :wtc:

I am loving this game just for poo poo like this.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

A few odd questions I have, see if anyone can answer them:

- Where do I find large backpacks? I found some in the starting area, but I restarted the game and can't find any the 2nd time around.
- I chose the LB+Y shove ability for Marcus. The description says it is a "slow shove that knocks zombies down". As far as I can tell it doesn't work at all, his LB+Y shove is the same as everyone elses'. What gives?
- I also chose the LB+B counter that supposedly kills two zombies at once. I can't get it to work, he just kind of braces himself and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? Did I screw myself with skill selection?
- Does the pre-built workshop at the home closest to the church in the first town repair weapons? The description seems to suggest it only fixes cars. Do I have to use another build site?

I should probably just move to the farm from what everyone is saying. How many building sites are there?

PS: I discovered rifles (not assault, just standard) are awesome. As far as I can tell, no other weapon snaps to enemies when aiming. And if you select the rifle specialization, it happens at longer range. I'm sure later in the game I'll want assault rifles for special zombies of course, but for now I don't want to use any other gun.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 7, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm waiting on the PC version since I don't have a 360, but I have a question:

Is it totally possible to just play the entire game solo? As in, you are the only dude in your camp but all functions are available to you and you can complete all the story missions?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I'm finding that my primary approach to infestation clearing/non-mission missions is just to call in a scavenging run to a nearby place and then two-man it. It really would be nice if there were some way to take even just one buddy along with you at will.

Also while i'm dreaming it would be nice if I could get a follower to stand guard somewhere and so use their gun. As it is gun skills on characters you aren't currently playing are pointless. I think the whole follower bit is the only area Fort Zombie does better on this, given that there you can alter their gear on the fly, sit them somewhere to snipe or immediately tell them to get somewhere immediately, all of which seems fairly obvious. But i'm still having fun.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm waiting on the PC version since I don't have a 360, but I have a question:

Is it totally possible to just play the entire game solo? As in, you are the only dude in your camp but all functions are available to you and you can complete all the story missions?
You could probably intentionally kill off all the controllable characters except for one, but I don't know why you'd want to. It would just make the game slower and tedious.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You could probably intentionally kill off all the controllable characters except for one, but I don't know why you'd want to. It would just make the game slower and tedious.

Well, the idea of a GTA-esque survivalist sandbox sounds pretty cool, and I thought going at it alone would mean you only have to worry about securing enough supplies for yourself while being flexible enough to abandon your current home if it gets hosed.

It sounds like other survivors are pretty crucial to the gameplay though. That's fine; maybe I can get that fix if this takes off and they get enough people onboard to make that MMO.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

toasterwarrior posted:

Well, the idea of a GTA-esque survivalist sandbox sounds pretty cool, and I thought going at it alone would mean you only have to worry about securing enough supplies for yourself while being flexible enough to abandon your current home if it gets hosed.

It sounds like other survivors are pretty crucial to the gameplay though. That's fine; maybe I can get that fix if this takes off and they get enough people onboard to make that MMO.
They are crucial, and plus, there's a number of non-controllable story-required NPCs that can't die. So you technically can't be completely on your own even if you wanted to.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

toasterwarrior posted:

A big reason this won't work, I found pretty early on when my wife and I decided we'd split Maya and Marcus between us, is that Fatigue builds up fairly quickly, lowering max stamina, and if you have a bad scrap you lose max health too. The only way to recover those is to let the character rest while you play someone else.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Lotish posted:

A big reason this won't work, I found pretty early on when my wife and I decided we'd split Maya and Marcus between us, is that Fatigue builds up fairly quickly, lowering max stamina, and if you have a bad scrap you lose max health too. The only way to recover those is to let the character rest while you play someone else.

Energy drinks and coffee raise the max stamina. There are narcotics like morphine that raise max health and you also get a radio command that refills your stamina to it's fullest called words of inspiration, if you don't get the preacher killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Lotish posted:

You can get over stamina by stocking up on coffee and energy drinks. You can fix the health ones two if you help the doc out at the cemetary if/when the call comes in. Best thing for you to do is just scavenge until you can find a couple more people to join your team, most non-story people you pick up will have at least one person be playable from the get go.

• Locked thread