Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
javascript snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

A pile of utter tosh for your delectation: http://www.paristechreview.com/2013/03/15/big-data-cartesian-thinking/

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

i inductively deduce from one example that the author is paid by the word and a pretentious jackass

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

also, you know how algorithmic trading erased billions of dollars from the economy and no one knows why? well, now we should abandon all hope of understanding those systems so we make those kinds of mistakes faster

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

thanks for sharing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wtf. Numbers don't speak for themselves. What is this objectivist bullcrap

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I mean sure in the most simple way, numbers speak in that they say there are four balls on the edge of the cliff

But to make any sense of it you gotta interpret them

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
in scons news, it took the build for one component from 40 minutes to just over an hour, but its a much nicer system to work with

today we'll try building an entire application, which currently takes ~4.5 hours. will it finish before i go home :iiam:

also

:stare:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

How on earth does that come within any definition of acceptable

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
4.5 hours is not the longest i've spent compiling c++, this system is quite compact

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I guess. At my old job we could compile our entire stack in like 15 mins.

We did have a monthly sales report that took just short of a workday if we ran it against production. Against staging it took like 19 hrs, it was bad.

Especially the week when it kept crashing on a bad line item when almost done, and making GBS threads out a worthless stack trace

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jerry SanDisky posted:

in scons news, it took the build for one component from 40 minutes to just over an hour, but its a much nicer system to work with

today we'll try building an entire application, which currently takes ~4.5 hours. will it finish before i go home :iiam:

also

:stare:

seriously; if you can afford electric cloud (i think they were mentioned along with scons earlier), do it; they will make poo poo super-fast and insanely well-documented

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
assembly is a high level language

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
uh, no poo poo

better than machine code, it's even ordering the bytes for you

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Unless you're laying down transistors, I'd say that you have a thing or two to learn about low level.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
lol yospos lecturing chip verification engineers about what constitutes low level

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Unless you're moving individual electrons by hand it's high level.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

it doesnt matter because the javascript processor is coming soon and it will be able to run node.js natively

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

MononcQc posted:

it doesnt matter because the javascript processor is coming soon and it will be able to run node.js natively

and i thought those java processors were a bad idea

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Otto Skorzeny posted:

lol yospos lecturing chip verification engineers about what constitutes low level
ex-

mostly write c# nowadays

MononcQc posted:

ugh, link?

http://opencores.org/project,jop was bad enough

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

ugh, link?

I'm yosposting, fortunately.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
please don't get my hopes up like that, javascript is already faster than native imagine what hardware accelerated js would perform like??

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Zombywuf posted:

Unless you're moving individual electrons by hand it's high level.

no, language abstraction level is a spectrum, basically exaclty like autism

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

functional programming = functional autism???

:whoa:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah but neither is very functional

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

chumpchous posted:

yeah but neither is very functional

:thejoke:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ultramiraculous posted:

and i thought those java processors were a bad idea

the various sun "java processors" through the years were just embedded systems that ran a jvm early in the boot process. usually 32 bit SPARCs

azul systems made a "java processor" that didn't execute jvm bytecode or anything... it just had write barriers for memory and a few other cute tricks to make jvms faster. that poo poo was loving bananas, but i guess it wasn't cost effective because they are getting rid of it

they made some bad assed google tech talks though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uljtqyBLxI

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

spongeh posted:

please don't get my hopes up like that, javascript is already faster than native imagine what hardware accelerated js would perform like??

nerds reinvent lisp machine but with algol syntax. a few lisp weenies die inside. i like this future.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the various sun "java processors" through the years were just embedded systems that ran a jvm early in the boot process. usually 32 bit SPARCs

azul systems made a "java processor" that didn't execute jvm bytecode or anything... it just had write barriers for memory and a few other cute tricks to make jvms faster. that poo poo was loving bananas, but i guess it wasn't cost effective because they are getting rid of it

they made some bad assed google tech talks though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uljtqyBLxI

ARM had its jazelle thing too, which could apparently execute bytecode directly on Sun VMs

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

tef posted:

nerds reinvent lisp machine but with algol syntax. a few lisp weenies die inside. i like this future.

Hey tef now you can write the web in the queens language!

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

tef posted:

The homoiconicity, it burns!

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Nomnom Cookie posted:

basically maven and autotools are acceptable build systems. everything else is horrible trash

what about cmake?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
http://dailyjs.com/2012/04/05/node-unix-interfaces/ jabascript ... in the terminal!

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i don't know anything about node and i definitely don't care enough to read about it but its basically a slow tangled mess and shaggar's exhibit a for a lovely p-lang thing right

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
javascript: unreal engine 3
java: minecraft

checkmate, nerds, javascript owns

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

if you want to get paid to write functional (the programming paradigm, not usefulness) code, javascript is your only option

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

spongeh posted:

java script: simcity
java: minecraft

checkmate, nerds, javascript owns

lol

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

polpotpi posted:

if you want to get paid to write functional (the programming paradigm, not usefulness) code, javascript is your only option

how dare you leave out excel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
while simcity was a good game, the simulation engine wasn't written or running in javascript, whereas the entire unreal engine is running under js